Firmware 2.80 Release Tomorrow

Change Page: < 1234567 > | Showing page 5 of 7, messages 81 to 100 of 129 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
sdrawkcab

• Total Posts : 224
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Firmware 2.80 Release Tomorrow - Tuesday, June 23, 2009 9:53 PM ( #81 )
Do you only have information about the PS3 SLiM or do you have some info about the 3.0 update as well? Even though you work on the hardware department.
onanie

• Total Posts : 1
Re:Firmware 2.80 Release Tomorrow - Tuesday, June 23, 2009 10:00 PM ( #82 )
Since you're from the hardware department, would you know much about the motion control?
My specific questions are:
1.  Would it feature an analogue joystick?
2.  Dr. Marks experimented with (even showcased) 3DV's cam as early as six years ago. What did they conclude about the hardware?

If you don't mind, may I ask other questions while I'm at it?
1. are there any mindblowing games that will be announced soon?
2. is there an upcoming mindblowing exclusive agreement with a developer that will be announced soon?

Thank you for taking the time here.

Allelujah00

• Total Posts : 45
Re:Firmware 2.80 Release Tomorrow - Tuesday, June 23, 2009 10:05 PM ( #83 )

I can see all the Sony special ops hacking into this guys account right now. :P
TheTimeDoctor

• Total Posts : 232
Re:Firmware 2.80 Release Tomorrow - Tuesday, June 23, 2009 10:41 PM ( #84 )
its out now
paskowitz

• Total Posts : 29
Re:Firmware 2.80 Release Tomorrow - Tuesday, June 23, 2009 11:22 PM ( #85 )
Honestly I really do not think you have said all that much that would make Sony pissed. FW2.8 ok, but not much was included that Sony would like to advertise themselves. and the PS3 slim exists but is not yet finalized (that was already semi confirmed in an E3 interview with Jack Trenton on Gametrailers.com. He said that it is likely that there will be a PS3 slim based on the pattern of PS2 and PSP hardware refreshes.). Although what it will include/not include is interesting and new. X-game voice chat has been promised for a while and we know it is coming. FW 3.0 is logical. I would be willing to bet Sony has not decided on a date for the price cut so any speculated date would be just that, speculation. So tell me something that would really get Sony pissed. GT5 confirmed this year? PS3 motion controller cost? Name? PS cloud true or false? New Logitech racing wheel for the PS3 and GT5, G27?
The distance between insanity and genius is only measured by success.
suntzu420

• Total Posts : 2
Re:Firmware 2.80 Release Tomorrow - Tuesday, June 23, 2009 11:38 PM ( #86 )
I'll bite.

A great deal of speculation has been tossed about concerning the PS3 Slim.  There are also rumors of what CPU will go into the next generations of PS consoles as well (rumors that i've seen are that IBM has fabricated a 32 core Cell Processor that is possibly being eyed for use in the PS4).  Being that PS3 slim is probably due within in the next year to year and half, note that this is just an assumption on my part, this means that Sony has found a way to shrink the PS3 farther and reduce costs further.  Now, with that in mind, this sets up a scenario where Sony can make a very large push into the next generation very early.  So, the question.  Is Sony considering using the PSSlim design and architecture as a base model for future consoles, thus allowing them to simply make small hardware changes, such as processors (specifically the one mentioned above) and memory (newer generation of or higher clock speed of XDR RAM) every few years in order to keep their consoles ahead in future generations to come and to keep the PS side of the house profitable?

Edit I: Concerning IBM 32 Core Cell processor
Sony considering existing cell processor for PS4: Bad idea?
<message edited by suntzu420 on Tuesday, June 23, 2009 11:56 PM>
Logical Dolphin

Re:Firmware 2.80 Release Tomorrow - Tuesday, June 23, 2009 11:50 PM ( #87 )

I would like to know if the PS3 Slim will keep the Gigabit Ethernet port, or will it get a standard Ethernet port to save on costs?
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

• Total Posts : 10816
Re:Firmware 2.80 Release Tomorrow - Tuesday, June 23, 2009 11:57 PM ( #88 )
It's out now, for those who don't know.

<message edited by Hellbringer on Tuesday, June 23, 2009 11:58 PM>
Formerly Known as Hellbringer. PSN: KenshinBATT0USAI 3DS: 2895-6892-5663 Steam: Vashlion
saint_john_paul_ii

• Total Posts : 101
Re:Firmware 2.80 Release Tomorrow - Wednesday, June 24, 2009 1:27 AM ( #89 )
Super_Secret

iCanHazPs3

Seems like he came to gather attention and then he left :)

Seems you are incapable of reading.

I do not want any attention directed towards me and I would prefer people didn't shout my handle around everywhere, I'd rather people just focused on the information I am giving you.

As promised (for those of you who can't read), I'll make one big final post tomorrow, then vanish forever from this handle. Feel free to ask lots of questions, I'll pick a few and answer them. Lets face it, you have never had a "leak" like this before and I dare say you'll never get one again. Happy bidding!

P.S. No external power brick :)

Well since you already confirmed the PS3 slim, lets get that out of the way, not to mention FW 3.0.  But heres 3 questions:

1. Will we ever see Cross-Game invites in the future (say 6-10 months from now)?

2. What the Hell is PS Cloud and what does it do?

3. When will we ever see Home with all the features that were promised back in 2007?

other than that, thanks for your services..

EDIT: oh i didnt read the part that you only know about the Hardware department, silly me, sorry.  ok, heres one question concerning about hardware:

Will the PS3 motion controller have analog sticks? i heard from someone that it will not have them, but it will use something innovative instead of the analog sticks
<message edited by Pope_John_Paul_II on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 1:45 AM>
Real Gambler

• Total Posts : 5
Hardware question - Wednesday, June 24, 2009 6:33 AM ( #90 )
With the Slim, we can also assume that there's cost saving involved. Which are the most cost saving parts?

I'm assuming we are going from full size bluray drive to smaller size, so cost saving is probably negligeable?  (Saving on bluray is superseeded by the higher cost of a smaller size device)?

You save money with the power supply because of lower power hungry device including the cell? (thanks for letting us know they will still use internal power supply by the way, this is great news!)

Do you plan to sell the full size PS3 along the slim for while?

Likely, it's not coming out this year, do you plan to have it come out bundled with the new controller already?

Just curious:  Are you involved in the motherboard design or case/airflow  (which are both awesome in my opinion)?    Will the new motherboard have a much smaller footprint?

I think you already said no switch at the back (decent cost saving, but sad to hear this...).  Let me guess, no more field effect switch in front but simple switch instead?

Thanks
paskowitz

Re:Firmware 2.80 Release Tomorrow - Wednesday, June 24, 2009 6:33 AM ( #91 )
suntzu420

I'll bite.

A great deal of speculation has been tossed about concerning the PS3 Slim.  There are also rumors of what CPU will go into the next generations of PS consoles as well (rumors that i've seen are that IBM has fabricated a 32 core Cell Processor that is possibly being eyed for use in the PS4).  Being that PS3 slim is probably due within in the next year to year and half, note that this is just an assumption on my part, this means that Sony has found a way to shrink the PS3 farther and reduce costs further.  Now, with that in mind, this sets up a scenario where Sony can make a very large push into the next generation very early.  So, the question.  Is Sony considering using the PSSlim design and architecture as a base model for future consoles, thus allowing them to simply make small hardware changes, such as processors (specifically the one mentioned above) and memory (newer generation of or higher clock speed of XDR RAM) every few years in order to keep their consoles ahead in future generations to come and to keep the PS side of the house profitable?

I can actually answer your question. I know some people that work for IBM (yeah that sounds trustworthy, but just bare with me). In a lengthy conversation I had with one of my friends who actually builds the cell and 360 cpu, he said that there are 3 shrinks planned for the PS3. Notice PS3, not PS4. We already have the 45nm shrink. The next step is as you said, 32nm (which is what he is working on now). This is likely to end up in the slim. BUT, Sony is going to have to work some cooling magic because since the chip is smaller/more efficient and actually faster, it runs hotter. Fitting an adequate fan in the size of something like the "PS3 slim" is going to be a challenge. The last "shrink", as it is called, will be to 25nm. He himself is scared by this prospect and has no idea how they are going to shrink the cell to that size. This would likely be the last chip in the PS3. He said that the PS4 is a ways off although they are starting to prepare tooling and logistics for when they actually get the plans. He said there is a 95% chance it will use some form of cell architecture because the cell is just to damn good and since they already know what to do it saves Sony money. Cell 2.0? Dual cells (this would allow full backwards compatibility to PS3 titles)?! Who knows. One thing is for sure, the PS4 will be a beast!

As a side note he said that the "next 360" is a little closer to production than the PS4 but they should arrive within the same year as MS's plans are constantly changing (Natal 360.5?). He also said that he has nothing to do with the 360's terrible reliability. In fact the 360 is a high quality piece of hardware (meaning its components) until it gets send of to be put together where MS really cuts costs.

If Mr Super Secret would like to confirm what I am saying go ahead. Likewise if he thinks I am crazy thats fine too.
<message edited by paskowitz on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 6:35 AM>
Real Gambler

• Total Posts : 5
Re:Firmware 2.80 Release Tomorrow - Wednesday, June 24, 2009 6:56 AM ( #92 )
@Paskowitz:  Thanks for the extra info.  Looks legit too.  Very cool

@super secret:   Are you dropping all the little daugther boards?   The switch one is likely gone for sure (as I said, no field effect, just switches on motherboard).  What about the Blutooth/Wifi, did you manage to put that on the motherboard? 

Since you're dropping the card slots thing, that would mean a very fast assembly.  Motherboard, and power supply (hope you never considered putting the power supply on the motherboard itself?).   Add bluray (love the way it's actually mounted), and you have only a very, very small amount of screws.  Right? Wrong?
paskowitz

Re:Firmware 2.80 Release Tomorrow - Wednesday, June 24, 2009 11:01 AM ( #93 )
Real Gambler

@Paskowitz:  Thanks for the extra info.  Looks legit too.  Very cool

Thanks for believing me. Honestly what I have said is not very secret and if you really wanted could find out yourself over the net, but i think putting all this info together paints a clear picture. PS3 launch 65nm, PS3 mid life update 45nm chip less stuff, new model PS3 slim, same console less stuff less price 32nm chip, final PS3 design cheapest 25nm chip most efficient and soundest design, PS4 and PS3s live together. If this looks familiar thats because it is. The PS2 lead that same life. As did the PS1 and now as we can see with the PSP GO, the PSP. This is why I think Jack Trenton did not flat out deny a PS3slim he just denied the current rumors. Of course there is going to be a PS3slim connect the dots. When and in what shape is to be determined.
MainEv3nt 69

• Total Posts : 3
Re:Firmware 2.80 Release Tomorrow - Wednesday, June 24, 2009 11:53 AM ( #94 )
the only question i have is if PS cloud is real and if the leaked picture and info is correct
suntzu420

Re:Firmware 2.80 Release Tomorrow - Wednesday, June 24, 2009 12:16 PM ( #95 )
paskowitz

suntzu420

I'll bite.

I can actually answer your question. I know some people that work for IBM (yeah that sounds trustworthy, but just bare with me). In a lengthy conversation I had with one of my friends who actually builds the cell and 360 cpu, he said that there are 3 shrinks planned for the PS3. Notice PS3, not PS4. We already have the 45nm shrink. The next step is as you said, 32nm (which is what he is working on now). This is likely to end up in the slim. BUT, Sony is going to have to work some cooling magic because since the chip is smaller/more efficient and actually faster, it runs hotter. Fitting an adequate fan in the size of something like the "PS3 slim" is going to be a challenge. The last "shrink", as it is called, will be to 25nm. He himself is scared by this prospect and has no idea how they are going to shrink the cell to that size. This would likely be the last chip in the PS3. He said that the PS4 is a ways off although they are starting to prepare tooling and logistics for when they actually get the plans. He said there is a 95% chance it will use some form of cell architecture because the cell is just to damn good and since they already know what to do it saves Sony money. Cell 2.0? Dual cells (this would allow full backwards compatibility to PS3 titles)?! Who knows. One thing is for sure, the PS4 will be a beast!

As a side note he said that the "next 360" is a little closer to production than the PS4 but they should arrive within the same year as MS's plans are constantly changing (Natal 360.5?). He also said that he has nothing to do with the 360's terrible reliability. In fact the 360 is a high quality piece of hardware (meaning its components) until it gets send of to be put together where MS really cuts costs.

If Mr Super Secret would like to confirm what I am saying go ahead. Likewise if he thinks I am crazy thats fine too.

I appreciate the info. I knew that the 32nm fabrication process would be next, but also according to the article in my earlier post, it may not be possible for them to do a 32 core cell, and only go with 10 cores instead.  Now, I think we can all agree that the Cell in it's current state is still very powerful and probably underutilized on some level.  I feel that the biggest draw back on the PS3 hardware currently is the amount of RAM and the fact that the GPU is now becoming outdated.  I really hope that the next GPU put into the PS is something alot more powerful that what we currently have.  I know that Intel has been courting Sony lately with the Larabee GPU that they are working on and are trying to get it into the next PS.  I don't mind new tech being put into the next PS, but I think Sony needs to keep its wits about itself and not being to use more expensive tech that takes longer to lower in price and is difficult to fabricate, thus causing them to sell the console at a lose. 

I firmly belive that if sony sticks with the current architecture on the PS3 and only has to add maybe a newer processor (slight higher clock speed or more cores to utilize), more ram (the XDR Ram is very nice, and I wouldn't mind seeing maybe 2gb of ram split between the PS OS and GPU), and slim line blu-ray drive...I think they will be able to keep the PS brand a very profitable venture for some time.

Again, many thanks for answering the question.  And it's not too out of the ordinary to run into people who work for high profile companies.  I have a good friend of mine that works for IBM, but in the engineering side.  He works at the Sterling Forest DR site.  Ironically, the company I work for also uses the Sterling Forest DR site, so I get to talk to my friend quite frequently.
paskowitz

Re:Firmware 2.80 Release Tomorrow - Wednesday, June 24, 2009 12:37 PM ( #96 )
suntzu420

I appreciate the info. I knew that the 32nm fabrication process would be next, but also according to the article in my earlier post, it may not be possible for them to do a 32 core cell, and only go with 10 cores instead.  Now, I think we can all agree that the Cell in it's current state is still very powerful and probably under utilized on some level.  I feel that the biggest draw back on the PS3 hardware currently is the amount of RAM and the fact that the GPU is now becoming outdated.  I really hope that the next GPU put into the PS is something alot more powerful that what we currently have.  I know that Intel has been courting Sony lately with the Larabee GPU that they are working on and are trying to get it into the next PS.  I don't mind new tech being put into the next PS, but I think Sony needs to keep its wits about itself and not being to use more expensive tech that takes longer to lower in price and is difficult to fabricate, thus causing them to sell the console at a lose. 

I firmly belive that if sony sticks with the current architecture on the PS3 and only has to add maybe a newer processor (slight higher clock speed or more cores to utilize), more ram (the XDR Ram is very nice, and I wouldn't mind seeing maybe 2gb of ram split between the PS OS and GPU), and slim line blu-ray drive...I think they will be able to keep the PS brand a very profitable venture for some time.

Again, many thanks for answering the question.  And it's not too out of the ordinary to run into people who work for high profile companies.  I have a good friend of mine that works for IBM, but in the engineering side.  He works at the Sterling Forest DR site.  Ironically, the company I work for also uses the Sterling Forest DR site, so I get to talk to my friend quite frequently.

I can 100% confirm without a shadow a doubt that they are making the 32nm chip. It has been really hard and they have but in tons of research but they are making it. My friend said that one could not even fathom how difficult it was. Like I said 25nm may be a real issue (may not even happen). I too would like to see the PS4 upgrade in some other areas. It is very possible that the cell would stay the same and other things would be upgraded. RAM is getting cheaper by the month. I personally am a little skeptical on this Intel GPU/CPU thing. Nvidia and ATi have had this industry for years and to be honest I am weary of any newcomers to the field. Also if I am not mistaken Larrabee would be incompatible with the cell. I would love to see an Nvidia GeForce GTX 295 in the PS4, or even SLi! I do not want to even imagine what a cell 2.0 + SLi would do. Probably cure cancer in a day.

Super_Secret

• Total Posts : 22
Re:Firmware 2.80 Release Tomorrow - Wednesday, June 24, 2009 3:13 PM ( #97 )
It is real. It is a PS3 that's been cut down as much as physically possible without preventing the loss of playback of any existing PS3 title out there. It still has blu-ray, it still has wireless, it still has bluetooth and it still has gigabit ethernet.
"OtherOS" support has been removed.
You still get 2 USB ports.
Hard drive sizes will be bigger, it will come in 120Gb and 250Gb flavours. It's still replaceable and will actually be slightly easier as it has been relocated to the front of the console.
It will NOT have any "new" features, such as backwards compatibility or enhanced peripheral support. It's just a PS3, but slightly smaller and cheaper.
The power supply is still internal, but a different power cable will be used.
Rear ports are still the same: 1x HDMI, 1x Sony AV port, 1x Optical, 1x Ethernet. And of course a power port.
Release date and official announcement are not final.
Price is undetermined, but make no mistake, this is a "slimmed" PS3 in ever sense of the word. It's as cheap as can possibly be, so expect it to launch with a smaller price tag than what you're paying now in your respective territories.
Internally, several daughter boards have been removed, but all functionality is still there. This is due to a more advanced manufacturing process. It still uses a few extra boards, though, we're not quite at PSTwo levels yet.
A Cheaper Blu-ray drive is being used. It wont be any slower, but expect to see similar issues that another competitor had a while ago.
Touch-sensitive buttons on the front for power/eject are gone in favour of cheaper push buttons.
It has a slightly different startup screen. Only slightly.
It's about 50% smaller than current PS3s.
It wont be called the "PS3 Slim". The PS1 "slim" and the PS2 "slim" were never officially called the "slim", either.

In short: It's a smaller PS3, but that's it. No new features, no special hardware, just smaller and cheaper. And it wont have sex with you.

Cross-game chat is in the works as part of Firmware 3.0. It wont be out during the summer, but assuming all goes well, it will be out well before the holidays. Current timeframe places it around September, but it's still very much a WIP. If there are any major delays, that will slip and if there are very few delays at all, it might even arrive earlier, but don't bank on it as it is a lot more complicated than you might imagine. At this point, it's working quite well in the labs and supports several players at once.
It's targeted to work with all past and future games that support ingame XMB, much like text chat.
I'm not a betting man, but I wouldn't be surprised if the "slim" shipped with this firmware installed (that doesn't mean the slim will come first, remember).

Who said the 3000 wasn't being phased out? It will be and sooner than you realise. However, the PSP Go isn't what's replacing it. The 4000 is. And yes, it will have a UMD drive. And similar to the PS3 "slim", it's nothing to actually get excited about.

Keep a very close eye on the hard drives shipped with newer PS3's. In a few months (or possibly sooner), something strange is going to start happening.

There you have it, folks. That's it, I'm done, I'm outta here. If you have any more questions, you'll just have to wait like everyone else. This account is gone, never to be logged into again. You might see me in a few months time when I've got something even more awesome to tell you, but it wont be from this account and it probably wont even be on this site. Adios!
yencid

• Total Posts : 9
Re:Firmware 2.80 Release Tomorrow - Wednesday, June 24, 2009 3:26 PM ( #98 )
Super_Secret

a Cheaper Blu-ray drive is being used. It wont be any slower, but expect to see similar issues that another competitor had a while ago.
Touch-sensitive buttons on the front for power/eject are gone in favour of cheaper push buttons.

awww no touch sensitiveness? :<
hmmm a competitor.... im guessing disc scratching and or the busting of the drive (like the ps2 would) or (the one i really dont hope is real) louder reading.

and whats this about hard drives? D:
<message edited by yencid on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 3:31 PM>
Wizeguy21

• Total Posts : 1
Re:Firmware 2.80 Release Tomorrow - Wednesday, June 24, 2009 3:55 PM ( #99 )
Wow Fantastic news.. Thnx.. You did leave us hanging with the Ps3 Hard Drive.. Im trying to imagine what it could be.. But the only thing that comes to mind.. is No longer needing a hard drive.. Which brings up some interesting info about Ps using online storage!!! :-D oh well guess we will have to wait! thnx for the info!!!
<message edited by Wizeguy21 on Wednesday, June 24, 2009 3:56 PM>
-x.Red.x-

• Total Posts : 24
Re:Firmware 2.80 Release Tomorrow - Wednesday, June 24, 2009 4:49 PM ( #100 )
hey super_secret thanks for the info good luck and take care.

"Keep a very close eye on the hard drives shipped with newer PS3's. In a few months (or possibly sooner), something strange is going to start happening."

i hope this means in a good way^^^
Change Page: < 1234567 > | Showing page 5 of 7, messages 81 to 100 of 129 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread