Has Anyone Here Ever Seen a Psychic?

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 37 of 37 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
wildcat

• Total Posts : 198
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Has Anyone Here Ever Seen a Psychic? - Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:27 PM ( #21 )
redDevil87

wildcat

Yes I have, and I was pleasantly surprised. Can I ask if there's a specific reason you're curious?

In general, try to avoid TV psychics, 1-800 psychics, and all of that stuff. Find someone with legitimate reviews, possibly in your area; someone you can go see face-to-face. 

I used to be a little skeptic until I got my first reading. I found a professional psychic and just said what the hell. But as soon as we started, she was right off the bat telling me about all of the things which had been troubling and bothering me. Just small things which a total stranger would never know about a person. And she didn't ask me questions at all, it was just "I see this in your life right now" and "this is what your guides are telling me could help." She also described my father with incredible accuracy. 

So it wasn't about any fortune-telling or predicting the future with crystal balls. Just a normal woman in everyday clothing. It felt more like counseling, a deeply personal experience, but with the added insight of my spirit guides. 

Has the experience changed you in any way? Like make you more open minded etc.

It was definitely eye-opening. It's fun to just sit and listen to a complete stranger tell you very specific things about yourself. 

I mean, I've always believed in the metaphysical "other side" and in the concept of spirit guides; but to experience it in reality and to have it confirmed was an awesome feeling. It sounds corny, but it made me feel like I'm never truly alone. That even when I'm down or I feel miserable, that there are people, or spirits or whatever, who know what you're going through. I suppose it's made me a more encouraged person. 

MidnytRain

I think I'd want to have a reading one day. Not as a means to an end, but because I've nothing to lose. 

That's how I felt going in. I had no stake in the outcome, and I've wasted money on worse things...

<message edited by wildcat on Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:35 PM>
MidnytRain

• Total Posts : 3755
Re:Has Anyone Here Ever Seen a Psychic? - Thursday, January 24, 2013 7:15 PM ( #22 )
wildcat

MidnytRain

I think I'd want to have a reading one day. Not as a means to an end, but because I've nothing to lose. 

That's how I felt going in. I had no stake in the outcome, and I've wasted money on worse things...

Just curious: How much did your reading cost you?
thorstein

• Total Posts : 438
Re:Has Anyone Here Ever Seen a Psychic? - Thursday, January 24, 2013 7:54 PM ( #23 )
Okay, okay. Who wants a reading and how much are you willing to pay me? And how specific do you want it to be? I'll be happy to do it right here on this forum.
thorstein

Re:Has Anyone Here Ever Seen a Psychic? - Thursday, January 24, 2013 8:09 PM ( #24 )
To prove my prowess, I will do a reading of MidnytRain right now, for free. Let's see: You are a young male who is extremely well read. You do well in school but not "too good." Most likely this is because the classes aren't as challenging as you need them to be. You best teachers are the ones that truly make you stretch. MidnytRain likes to play racing games, though this doesn't necessarily translate in wanting to race in NASCAR or more likely the European circuit, he does appreciate the automobile to some degree. Science is of interest to him as he seeks to know more about subjects such as physics. He feels that most people who know him don't know the "real him" that he is inside. Sometimes he is misunderstood even by his own family/ friends. I can predict that he is college bound and though there might be a plan for what he wants his career to be, he will probably switch majors to accommodate another interest. He (and this is not an opinion) is quite intelligent for his age and quite often can determine solutions that many other people don't see. He likes some anime (I am getting that from a deceased male, either a friend or a relative). But he isn't an anime geek (so his friend/ relative says) with posters all over his room. There is a special person that he looks at/ thinks about almost daily. And this person does know he exists though, they may not talk all that often. This person is kind and likeable and not like the other people around this person. Not too far off am I?
Rage_S90

• Total Posts : 7899
Re:Has Anyone Here Ever Seen a Psychic? - Thursday, January 24, 2013 8:17 PM ( #25 )
Nah I'm not an idiot. 

wildcat

Re:Has Anyone Here Ever Seen a Psychic? - Friday, January 25, 2013 2:25 AM ( #26 )
@thorstein

Yeah, that's a good example of a cold reading: general statements which can pertain to any person. Your comment is funny and true. There ARE scam artists and fakes. But I think they give the people who have the actual capacity a bad name. 

@Midny

I paid $75 for the hour. 
Kon

• Total Posts : 11113
Re:Has Anyone Here Ever Seen a Psychic? - Friday, January 25, 2013 2:35 AM ( #27 )
Rage_S90

Nah I'm not an idiot. 

Wrong.
Stop Cyberbullying!

13/05/2014 - The day innovation died.
thorstein

Re:Has Anyone Here Ever Seen a Psychic? - Saturday, January 26, 2013 4:54 PM ( #28 )

wildcat @thorstein Yeah, that's a good example of a cold reading: general statements which can pertain to any person. Your comment is funny and true. There ARE scam artists and fakes. But I think they give the people who have the actual capacity a bad name. @Midny I paid $75 for the hour.
Until they can reproduce what they do scientifically in a controlled setting with peer review, then I'm not buying. Are some better than others at duping people? Sure. But, psychics should be millionaires not only for playing the lottery, and gambling, but by playing the stockmarket. These should be the most powerful people in the world because they would be able to know what another nation's leader would do and be able to convey those actions to advisors.... thing is, they can't. Never could, never will.... unless we evolve the abilities to read minds. But predicting the future can't happen as the future doesn't exist. PS Read my sig!
<message edited by thorstein on Saturday, January 26, 2013 4:56 PM>
Ducky

• Total Posts : 2371
Re:Has Anyone Here Ever Seen a Psychic? - Saturday, January 26, 2013 5:39 PM ( #29 )
thorstein

Until they can reproduce what they do scientifically in a controlled setting with peer review, then I'm not buying. Are some better than others at duping people? Sure. But, psychics should be millionaires not only for playing the lottery, and gambling, but by playing the stockmarket. These should be the most powerful people in the world because they would be able to know what another nation's leader would do and be able to convey those actions to advisors.... thing is, they can't. Never could, never will.... unless we evolve the abilities to read minds. But predicting the future can't happen as the future doesn't exist. PS Read my sig!

I'm not sure why you've assumed that psychics would be able to strike big in lottery or stockmarkets. There's a large degree of difference between being able to predict a few events versus being able to predict that results of a complex system such as a lottery machine or the stockmarkets.

As an example, let's consider physics. (because it contains similar letters to 'psychics')
A physicist should just be able to note down the position and geometry of a lottery ball machine and then calculate the result. Even if such a practice was allowed, the answers would come out wrong and their calculations would be no better than a typical guess. Does this mean all of physics is wrong? Well, that's what you seem to be suggesting.

Also, I completely disagree about humans not being able to predict the future. Future events follow a distinct number of laws and science is all about figuring out those laws. If you believe the future can not be predicted, then you also have to believe that there are things which can not be discovered through the scientific method.
<message edited by FatOldMan on Saturday, January 26, 2013 5:41 PM>
Rage_S90

• Total Posts : 7899
Re:Has Anyone Here Ever Seen a Psychic? - Saturday, January 26, 2013 6:39 PM ( #30 )
Kon

Rage_S90

Nah I'm not an idiot. 

Wrong.

Persona attack, ban him mods!

wildcat

Re:Has Anyone Here Ever Seen a Psychic? - Sunday, January 27, 2013 4:45 AM ( #31 )
thorstein

Until they can reproduce what they do scientifically in a controlled setting with peer review, then I'm not buying. 

That has been done. Dr. Gary Schwartz did just that and documented his research and experiments in this book.  

thorstein
 But, psychics should be millionaires not only for playing the lottery, and gambling, but by playing the stockmarket. These should be the most powerful people in the world because they would be able to know what another nation's leader would do and be able to convey those actions to advisors.... thing is, they can't. Never could, never will.... unless we evolve the abilities to read minds. But predicting the future can't happen as the future doesn't exist. 

This is where the misunderstanding lies. Mediums and psychics don't possess any supernatural powers. Being psychic is a very human thing. Each one of us has this ability, even you and me, though it's easier for others than some to develop it; like some people have a natural talent to play the piano or guitar. 

Coming from a place of love and compassion, a reading is not about reading the minds of others and manipulating people, it's a direct communication with the other side about issues pertaining to one's own life. I don't even like the word psychic because it's too much associated with predicting the future or predicting world events. In my first hand experience with a medium, she was more concerned about the present. 
thorstein
 PS Read my sig! 

I did read your signature, however how much do we actually know of the universe? True, science has liberated us from strict dogmatic beliefs, but still it can only observe a fragment of the universe itself. Science is about catching up to how the world works; measuring and testing hypotheses in order to come to a logical conclusion. But as human beings, we are not merely experiments, we are more or less complete as we are. We have our bodies, our brains and organs, which are measurable and observable. But how about our consciousness? Do we have the ability to record a dream or a thought? It could be our scientific instruments have not caught up with all of our abilities just yet. 
<message edited by wildcat on Sunday, January 27, 2013 4:49 AM>
thorstein

Re:Has Anyone Here Ever Seen a Psychic? - Sunday, January 27, 2013 12:19 PM ( #32 )
  I am suggesting that physics is wrong? That is a stretch. Verifiable, peer reviewed science? Nope. Predicting a lottery machines outcome with physics? I'm not sure you understand scientific inquiry. If there was a way that it could be done and reproduced, then it would be done. Your claim that it can't doesn't make the physicists wrong in any way shape or form. I am not trying to troll or be mean here, sincerely. Equating hocus pocus and abracadabra to science and the scientific method and tried and true models of it is ludicrous in its very assertions. It isn't because I am wrong about this, it is because you lack (and again I am not trying to troll you) a fundamental understanding of science. That is all that means. I don't think psychics can predict the future, but they claim they can so . . . not sure what the argument here is. Are you claiming psychics don't promise to predict the future? And that is where your argument completely falls apart... with science it is the same out come every single time. With psychics you can state: oh, that one's a fake but this one isn't. And then when that one is tested... fail.
thorstein

Re:Has Anyone Here Ever Seen a Psychic? - Sunday, January 27, 2013 12:28 PM ( #33 )
 Gary Schwartz? Seriously, the man "validated" one of the largest scam artists ever in John Edwards. Edwards was shown to be deceiving when he put plants in the line outside of his show! That man is vile: he profits off of others bereavement. That is sick! I don't know what I am doing on this thread anymore, I was trying to help midnyt figure out that these people are shuysters. Nothing I do or say will convince you if you "truly believe." There are people that have a firm belief that an alien names Xenu brought humans to this world.... they are called scientologists. There are those that believe the Flying Spaghetti Monster or the Invisible Pink Unicorn are the creators of all. Some people even believe an invisible sky zombie created it all. All of these included have no more merit to their argument than psychics. Not a one has been able to reproduce their claims in a controlled setting. To midnyt, shysters they are and shysters they will be, to a one. Don't buy the bull.
MidnytRain

• Total Posts : 3755
Re:Has Anyone Here Ever Seen a Psychic? - Sunday, January 27, 2013 12:39 PM ( #34 )
thorstein

I am suggesting that physics is wrong? That is a stretch. Verifiable, peer reviewed science? Nope. Predicting a lottery machines outcome with physics? I'm not sure you understand scientific inquiry. If there was a way that it could be done and reproduced, then it would be done. Your claim that it can't doesn't make the physicists wrong in any way shape or form. I am not trying to troll or be mean here, sincerely. Equating hocus pocus and abracadabra to science and the scientific method and tried and true models of it is ludicrous in its very assertions. It isn't because I am wrong about this, it is because you lack (and again I am not trying to troll you) a fundamental understanding of science. That is all that means. I don't think psychics can predict the future, but they claim they can so . . . not sure what the argument here is. Are you claiming psychics don't promise to predict the future? And that is where your argument completely falls apart... with science it is the same out come every single time. With psychics you can state: oh, that one's a fake but this one isn't. And then when that one is tested... fail.

Well, to be fair, not everything in science can be predicted to have the same outcome every time...
<message edited by MidnytRain on Sunday, January 27, 2013 12:43 PM>
wildcat

Re:Has Anyone Here Ever Seen a Psychic? - Sunday, January 27, 2013 1:26 PM ( #35 )
thorstein

I don't enjoy the argument either because people tend to be deeply rooted in their beliefs, like you and me. I know I'm not going to change your mind and I'm not going to try. But I'm offering MidnytRain my personal, first-hand experience with an actual medium as someone who used to be, more or less, as skeptical as you are right now. 

Science is probably the most useful thing we have to determine actualities of the world we live in, but to rely on the words of others instead of experiencing things for yourself in order to come your own conclusion; that is a shame.
<message edited by wildcat on Sunday, January 27, 2013 1:28 PM>
ZombieNinjaPanda

• Total Posts : 11431
Re:Has Anyone Here Ever Seen a Psychic? - Sunday, January 27, 2013 1:51 PM ( #36 )
MidnytRain

thorstein

Well, to be fair, not everything in science can be predicted to have the same outcome every time...

But that's how science works you know. Something is hypothesized, it doesn't turn out how the hypothesis went so the data is recorded. Rinse repeat until you find it where it consistently happens, then you get a theory and then later on down the line a law.

That's the most barebones stripped down version of the scientific method there is.

Ducky

• Total Posts : 2371
Re:Has Anyone Here Ever Seen a Psychic? - Sunday, January 27, 2013 2:00 PM ( #37 )
ZombieNinjaPanda

MidnytRain

But that's how science works you know. Something is hypothesized, it doesn't turn out how the hypothesis went so the data is recorded. Rinse repeat until you find it where it consistently happens, then you get a theory and then later on down the line a law.

That's the most barebones stripped down version of the scientific method there is.

I think Midnyt meant that some theories we have in science do not spit out the same result every single time, but rather it comes in probabilities.

Nuclear decay is once case where we don't exactly know when any single atom will decay, but our predictions become accurate when a large number of atoms are considered.
Same holds true for most of quantum physics, but that's a bigger pain to explain.

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 37 of 37 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread