Ni No Kuni Official Thread

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 3 of 12, messages 41 to 60 of 223 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
FAT MAN GO BOOM

• Total Posts : 15362
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Ni No Kuni Official Thread - Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:59 PM ( #41 )
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

[ali
KozmoOchez

• Total Posts : 5326
Re:Ni No Kuni Official Thread - Wednesday, January 23, 2013 12:36 AM ( #42 )
Finally a JRPG that makes it worth grinding at early stages - too many games (this gen) held your hand throughout half of the game then threw you into the wolves. There are plenty of opportunities to make mistakes and die EARLY in this game, and I appreciate forcing me to think and then react, rather than just checking weaknesses and spamming from there.

Also, stamina system REALLY makes each boss fight (or fight against equal or stronger enemies) more intense. There have been plenty of times where my familiar was out there wailing then I here that ticking and then see the 5 second countdown and then hurry to swap him out. Once that cost me the fight - I got frantic and swapped out to one of my new familiars that was super low level while the boss was charging up an unblockable attack AND my current familiar was running out of stamina. The attack went through and my game was over. Luckily I saved right before that fight so I didn't have to pay the 10% fee to restart from the last checkpoint. 

WARNING: SAVE AFTER ALMOST EVERY FIGHT IN THE WORLD MAP!!!! Do not count on being able to heal during the fights from one city to the next, I found this out the hard way - my familiar was beating up on another one then started to miss as the enemy reached critical health. I went from half to dead when it pulled out a couple critical hits and lost some progress, not a lot, but I could see how that could be an easy mistake a lot of us would make. Because this isn't turned based, they make up for that increased battle speed with increased chances for missed attacks and they usually come at the worst time, at least now since all of my familiars use close range attacks where misses can lead to counter attacks which leads to stun which could lead to dead - especially with multiple enemies at play.

-Mezzo-

• Total Posts : 2862
Re:Ni No Kuni Official Thread - Wednesday, January 23, 2013 12:39 AM ( #43 )
This seems to be a big hit with the Gamers.

If only i wasn't broke.
<message edited by -Mezzo- on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 12:40 AM>

I'm Trolling For 'Tears'
thebudgetgamer

• Total Posts : 6958
Re:Ni No Kuni Official Thread - Wednesday, January 23, 2013 12:54 AM ( #44 )
-Mezzo-

This seems to be a big hit with the Gamers.

If only i wasn't broke.

You should join some kind of underworld fighting tournament.
<message edited by thebudgetgamer on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 12:55 AM>
Chard

• Total Posts : 503
Re:Ni No Kuni Official Thread - Wednesday, January 23, 2013 1:43 AM ( #45 )
 Sounds like the feedback is positive, even ignoring the mainstream reviews. A very good sign. I was hoping this would come to Wii U but I might have to re-buy a PS3 so I can play this.
redDevil87

• Total Posts : 8354
Re:Ni No Kuni Official Thread - Wednesday, January 23, 2013 5:57 AM ( #46 )
I want to buy this but i won't have time to play it . . .

I was watching the Gamespot review, i was really surprised to see the comedian Rhod Gilbert doing the voice of a character 

<message edited by redDevil87 on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 5:58 AM>

Rage_S90

• Total Posts : 7899
Re:Ni No Kuni Official Thread - Wednesday, January 23, 2013 7:54 AM ( #47 )
we should all throw rocks at reds house.

Whoooop

• Total Posts : 5653
Re:Ni No Kuni Official Thread - Wednesday, January 23, 2013 8:34 AM ( #48 )
Played the demo and my excitement went back to -100.  GOD I hate JRPG's.

Rage_S90

• Total Posts : 7899
Re:Ni No Kuni Official Thread - Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:30 AM ( #49 )
We should all throw rocks at whoops house. 

Whoooop

Re:Ni No Kuni Official Thread - Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:55 AM ( #50 )
Note that I'm not trashing the game...  I just tried to fool myself into thinking that this would be a game that I might have liked, but I can't swallow them JRPG's. That Monolith game that Nintendo showed today also looks very cool, but I would be fooling myself again.

thorstein

• Total Posts : 419
Re:Ni No Kuni Official Thread - Wednesday, January 23, 2013 8:10 PM ( #51 )
 Okay 2 hours in and I am in love with this game. Of all the reviews the only complaint I see is the battle system... which baffles me because it completely reminds me of DQ VIII, which was an amazing game. I feel like I am back in that wonderful era. The visuals are stunning, but they are not all. I love the battle system, make sure you LEARN how to use it. Once you do, it is perfect!! Also, RAGE! Add the Playstation Lifestyle Review score!!! Which is a 10/ 10.
Irishguy95

• Total Posts : 578
Re:Ni No Kuni Official Thread - Thursday, January 24, 2013 1:11 AM ( #52 )
What don't you like about em Whoop? I assume the battle system? But what specifically about the battle system? And do you like Dragon age or Kotor? Edit ---- I recently started playing Xenoblade again. Damn it's good, I thought it would get very repetitive but...it's just not. This game is bigger than Skyrim too.
<message edited by Irishguy95 on Thursday, January 24, 2013 1:23 AM>
KozmoOchez

Re:Ni No Kuni Official Thread - Thursday, January 24, 2013 8:37 AM ( #53 )
thorstein

Okay 2 hours in and I am in love with this game. Of all the reviews the only complaint I see is the battle system... which baffles me because it completely reminds me of DQ VIII, which was an amazing game. I feel like I am back in that wonderful era. The visuals are stunning, but they are not all. I love the battle system, make sure you LEARN how to use it. Once you do, it is perfect!! Also, RAGE! Add the Playstation Lifestyle Review score!!! Which is a 10/ 10.

I said the same thing about 2-3 hours in. If a JRPG can get you that excited when you are still in tutorial phase, then it HAS to be great. Even the great Final Fantasy 7 didn't have me THIS excited when I was in the tutorial/learn the ropes phase (although it was extremely short if you don't include waiting to get your first summon). 

What's funny is that there is more to the battle system than the first few hours even gets to cover, and I only know that because I have the guide and it explains weaknesses and celestial signs and all those things that the game hasn't covered yet. SO MUCH PLANNING TO DO!!!

Whoooop

Re:Ni No Kuni Official Thread - Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:31 AM ( #54 )
Irishguy95

What don't you like about em Whoop? I assume the battle system? But what specifically about the battle system? And do you like Dragon age or Kotor? Edit ---- I recently started playing Xenoblade again. Damn it's good, I thought it would get very repetitive but...it's just not. This game is bigger than Skyrim too.

Well for starters, yeah, battle systems, specially turn based.  I noticed Ni No Kuni's battle system isn't turn based, but it's a similar battle system where you stand in the same place and pick different attacks to perform and I haven't been able to develop a taste for it.  Then, if the battle system is real-time, I have to get past the general art style of almost every single JRPG which I really don't like.  The colors, the particle effects, the characters, etc, etc.  

Also, I've come to realize that RPG's in general do not appeal to me as much as other genres, but I can manage WRPG's much more than JRPG's.  For example, I enjoyed Mass Effect a lot, as well as Fallout, etc.  However, it's not a genre that satisfies me much. 

I don't hate on them though, unless I'm trolling. ;)

redDevil87

• Total Posts : 8354
Re:Ni No Kuni Official Thread - Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:40 AM ( #55 )
Whoooop

Irishguy95

Well for starters, yeah, battle systems, specially turn based.  I noticed Ni No Kuni's battle system isn't turn based, but it's a similar battle system where you stand in the same place and pick different attacks to perform and I haven't been able to develop a taste for it.  Then, if the battle system is real-time, I have to get past the general art style of almost every single JRPG which I really don't like.  The colors, the particle effects, the characters, etc, etc.  

Also, I've come to realize that RPG's in general do not appeal to me as much as other genres, but I can manage WRPG's much more than JRPG's.  For example, I enjoyed Mass Effect a lot, as well as Fallout, etc.  However, it's not a genre that satisfies me much. 

I don't hate on them though, unless I'm trolling. ;)

Alright lads, load it up . . .

KozmoOchez

Re:Ni No Kuni Official Thread - Thursday, January 24, 2013 10:11 AM ( #56 )
Mass effect can no longer be categorized as an RPG in my book - not that its a bad game, just its more third person shooter with a skill tree than anything.

Also, Ni No Kuni is - and I hate to say it like this - the cutest game ever. Honestly, makes me feel all warm inside and also makes me wish I had kids of my own, or was with my nephews while playing.  It has an easy mode for people who are more in it for the story, I feel like that would make this the perfect first rpg for kids. Pokemon is a close runner up, but it won't prepare kids for the deeper RPGs out there as well as this will.

I also wish this kept track of saves. 5 hours in and I'm sure I'm up close to 50 if not more. Difficulty ramps up even higher when you get your second human character. You would think it would drop since 2 people are fighting, but the enemy AI is smarter than the team AI so it just adds another liability most of the time. I got them paired up with some strong familiars though so when things are going well, we can wreck most enemy groups.

Whoooop

Re:Ni No Kuni Official Thread - Thursday, January 24, 2013 10:46 AM ( #57 )
I was talking specifically about Mass Effect, not its sequels. I really don't know if the first game fits all the criteria to be an RPG (since I don't know much about RPG's in general), but it sure wasn't a traditional third person shooter compared to other games in the genre, or even ME2.  Haven't played the third.
<message edited by Whoooop on Thursday, January 24, 2013 10:49 AM>

WildArmed

• Total Posts : 10055
Re:Ni No Kuni Official Thread - Thursday, January 24, 2013 11:40 AM ( #58 )
Ugh, i wanna go and get this NOOWW.

But... i need to finish this with good grades so I can get my full ride for masters >< UGGGGHHHHH

TooTall19

• Total Posts : 689
Re:Ni No Kuni Official Thread - Thursday, January 24, 2013 1:29 PM ( #59 )
i can't wait to get my ps3 back. i have this ni no kuni and ps all stars waiting for me. all i can do now is learn the controls and alphabet. hopefully i can play tonight. my favorite rpgs are dark cloud 2, pokemon red, and wild arms 3, and this game looks like a good mix of all 3.
thorstein

• Total Posts : 419
Re:Ni No Kuni Official Thread - Thursday, January 24, 2013 7:29 PM ( #60 )

Whoooop
I noticed Ni No Kuni's battle system isn't turn based, but it's a similar battle system where you stand in the same place...
Not sure if you realized this but no, you don't have to "Stand in Place" In fact, even if you are surprised, you can start running around as soon as a battle starts! And as you battle you can pick up MP and HP drops from the monsters you are battling, so it is important to move. And when you face off against monsters with slower attacks, you can get out of the way and hit them from behind!
Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 3 of 12, messages 41 to 60 of 223 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread