Official Gun Discussion Thread

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 2 of 14, messages 21 to 40 of 272 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
Eiffel

• Total Posts : 11966
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Official Gun Discussion Thread - Monday, December 17, 2012 8:46 AM ( #21 )
I can't even insult Jon, he's so accustom to laughing at himself around his peers that he's become the butt of his everyday joke. I can't help but picture this guy standing with Westboro Church folk waiting for someone from the future to give them the bad news that the world doesn't end and they're still virgins. Hardcore conservatives make the best clowns, they're always wrong but they don't give up. Bless their hearts. 

<message edited by Eiffel on Monday, December 17, 2012 8:57 AM>
wishingW3L

• Total Posts : 1091
Re:Official Gun Discussion Thread - Monday, December 17, 2012 8:51 AM ( #22 )
guns give the power to even the weakest psychotic person to become into a mass murderer very easily. I say ban them! But at this point that would be impossible because the black market would continue to carry them anyway so there is no point in discussing this anymore. Illegal drugs are illegal yet you can find them virtually everywhere and it would the same with guns even if they become illegal too so at this point is better to stay as we are.

But I bet that if guns didn't exist what happened on that school wouldn't have happened because it would have been too difficult for that psycho to kill as many people/kids as easily he did. You go into a public place with guns and lots of bullets and anybody could become into a mass murderer in a matter of seconds if he's crazy enough to just do it.
KEVERS

• Total Posts : 18366
Re:Official Gun Discussion Thread - Monday, December 17, 2012 9:29 AM ( #23 )
-Mezzo-

The Guns don't kill, the person holding it does.

If it wasn't a Gun, it would have been something else.

Perhaps, but aside from crafting a bomb, which could be too difficult for most idiots, people choosing to go on a rampage will have to do so with a knife. I highly doubt you can stab 27 people to death in a few minutes. A gun can unleash so much carnage in such a small amount of time. Police respond times aren't even a factor because a massacre can happen in only a couple of minutes. 

Rage_S90

• Total Posts : 7899
Re:Official Gun Discussion Thread - Monday, December 17, 2012 11:39 AM ( #24 )
Guns are bad mmmkay....

Same thing happened in china with a knife, 22 kids got stabbed.....but no one died. Therein lies the difference. 
<message edited by Rage_S90 on Monday, December 17, 2012 11:40 AM>

TheNocturnus

• Total Posts : 4403
Re:Official Gun Discussion Thread - Monday, December 17, 2012 11:43 AM ( #25 )
You guys know my case so why bother repeating it again?
ZombieNinjaPanda

• Total Posts : 11431
Re:Official Gun Discussion Thread - Monday, December 17, 2012 11:46 AM ( #26 )
Rage_S90

Guns are bad mmmkay....

Same thing happened in china with a knife, 22 kids got stabbed.....but no one died. Therein lies the difference. 

Since 2010 50 people have died from similar knife attacks in China you know. Most of them were children. It was in the same article that you read about the 22 children and that knife attack.

Irishguy95

• Total Posts : 582
Re:Official Gun Discussion Thread - Monday, December 17, 2012 12:05 PM ( #27 )
China does have that 2 Bill Population though(seeing as that argument is used alot), and the fact is that their Society is very **** compared to alot of countries including the US. I don't understand how the US matches China with regards to nutcases, it's true that going on a rampage with a knife is much harder than with a gun though right?
UnSelf

• Total Posts : 2569
Re:Official Gun Discussion Thread - Monday, December 17, 2012 12:27 PM ( #28 )
Why not just make Kevlar vests legal and accessible? Vests don't hurt anyone and they can protect.

Problem solved.

TheNocturnus

Re:Official Gun Discussion Thread - Monday, December 17, 2012 12:33 PM ( #29 )
UnSelf

Why not just make Kevlar vests legal and accessible? Vests don't hurt anyone and they can protect.

Problem solved.

They are legal and very accessible.  How does that solve any problem?
redDevil87

• Total Posts : 8354
Re:Official Gun Discussion Thread - Monday, December 17, 2012 12:41 PM ( #30 )
UnSelf

Problem solved.

Yeah, but people may lose the fear of being killed, or killing someone if they think everyone is wearing vests. 

People might be more brazen when brandishing their weapon at someone because the potential consequence of aiming a gun at someone will be lowered, they may feel they victim is "protected enough" so aiming a gun at someone isn't as bad as it once was. Other people may be less hesitant about getting in a shoot out, imagine gangbangers all having access to kevlar vests. Police will have to start using armour piercing rounds on patrols, those shouldn't be needed to patrol the streets. It's like the end of Batman Begins when Gordan talks about "escalation".

Rage_S90

Re:Official Gun Discussion Thread - Monday, December 17, 2012 12:47 PM ( #31 )
ZombieNinjaPanda

Since 2010 50 people have died from similar knife attacks in China you know. Most of them were children. It was in the same article that you read about the 22 children and that knife attack.

8,500+ died from gun violence in the US last year, come again, thanks. 

ZombieNinjaPanda

Re:Official Gun Discussion Thread - Monday, December 17, 2012 12:48 PM ( #32 )
Irishguy95

China does have that 2 Bill Population though(seeing as that argument is used alot), and the fact is that their Society is very **** compared to alot of countries including the US. I don't understand how the US matches China with regards to nutcases, it's true that going on a rampage with a knife is much harder than with a gun though right?

Yes. The argument though is that if there were no guns that **** like this wouldn't happen. Clearly that was proven wrong in the same day of the shooting rampage.

KEVERS

• Total Posts : 18366
Re:Official Gun Discussion Thread - Monday, December 17, 2012 1:02 PM ( #33 )
I'm tired of the whole gun debate (I exhausted that with Noc many times before) but I think everyone should at least look at the situation from outside the box, if you will. The U.S. is supposed to be this safe, modern and civil country. Then how bizarre is it that people's serious solutions to Friday's massacre is to arm kindergarten teachers? Where else in the modern, non-warzone, world should it have to come to that? I live in Canada, a country that mirrors the U.S. in almost every way as far as culture and world status and I can't imagine if the population thought they need to arm themselves just to go to school, the movies, a restaurant or whatever. The U.S. made a wrong turn somewhere along the way, somewhere Canada and most other countries didn't. 

ZombieNinjaPanda

Re:Official Gun Discussion Thread - Monday, December 17, 2012 1:04 PM ( #34 )
Rage_S90

ZombieNinjaPanda

8,500+ died from gun violence in the US last year, come again, thanks. 

Rage stop being stupid. Your argument is "If there wouldn't be guns then there wouldn't be deaths".  Or rather, same thing happened in China but no one died. So since I prove you wrong your argument is just to refute saying "oh more people were killed in US DURR".

No. It don't work like that son.

redDevil87

Re:Official Gun Discussion Thread - Monday, December 17, 2012 1:15 PM ( #35 )
KEVERS

I'm tired of the whole gun debate (I exhausted that with Noc many times before) but I think everyone should at least look at the situation from outside the box, if you will. The U.S. is supposed to be this safe, modern and civil country. Then how bizarre is it that people's serious solutions to Friday's massacre is to arm kindergarten teachers? Where else in the modern, non-warzone, world should it have to come to that? I live in Canada, a country that mirrors the U.S. in almost every way as far as culture and world status and I can't imagine if the population thought they need to arm themselves just to go to school, the movies, a restaurant or whatever. The U.S. made a wrong turn somewhere along the way, somewhere Canada and most other countries didn't. 

Maybe it's a cultural issue as to why the US has these problems. Maybe exposing people to violence isn't seen as a problem, maybe violent shows, movies and games contribute to it, combine that with americans obsession with guns and you have potentially volatile mix. Sex and nudity is still taboo but films glorifying war are seen aren't seen as a problem, it makes no sense.

I obviously haven't grown up in America, so culturally i have no clue about what it's like to grow up there. But whenever something like this happens, it's blamed on something like games, i never here people say "we need to reassess the way we view violence as a nation, we need to start from scratch including tv, movies games and understand the consequences of these actions." 

EDIT:

The Lanza's mother knew the kids had problems: http://www.khou.com/news/183807521.html

"A man who says he once babysat for Newtown, Conn., gunman Adam Lanza says he recalls Lanza's mother warning him never to turn his back on the boy - not even to go to the bathroom."

She had 5 guns in the house and she knew he was mentally not all there. 

Canada's gun laws prohibit any household to have a gun in it if a family member has a mental disorder.

<message edited by redDevil87 on Monday, December 17, 2012 1:20 PM>

Rage_S90

Re:Official Gun Discussion Thread - Monday, December 17, 2012 1:20 PM ( #36 )
ZombieNinjaPanda

No. It don't work like that son.

No, my argument is less deaths would happen since it's harder to kill someone with a knife, not that hard to follow. 

Elvis

• Total Posts : 1031
Re:Official Gun Discussion Thread - Monday, December 17, 2012 1:26 PM ( #37 )
UnagiMaster

We need better security. People can get anything, when ever, where ever. "Stricter gun laws" is so far from the answer. Heroine is illegal but im pretty sure millions use/buy every day. 

It's hard for me to feel bad about what happened friday, it's like I've been desensitized. Unfortinately kids die all the time in the middle east and its never such a big story as this one was. 

http://www.huffingtonpost...-killed_n_2313494.html

That's not true.. With the exception of Gaza and small parts of some countries that aren't stable right now because of the revolutions like in Syria, it is a lot safer in the Middle East than it is in the US unless you meant "The Greater Middle East" which I think is a stupid term.
<message edited by Elvis on Monday, December 17, 2012 1:30 PM>
Eiffel

• Total Posts : 11966
Re:Official Gun Discussion Thread - Monday, December 17, 2012 1:29 PM ( #38 )
Why is that the usual story with these issues? The mother or insert relative here know how ****ed up their kid or friend is yet do nothing about it. Seriously, dark signs equals call the ****ing mental ward. 
<message edited by Eiffel on Monday, December 17, 2012 1:31 PM>
TheNocturnus

Re:Official Gun Discussion Thread - Monday, December 17, 2012 1:54 PM ( #39 )
redDevil87

Maybe it's a cultural issue as to why the US has these problems. Maybe exposing people to violence isn't seen as a problem, maybe violent shows, movies and games contribute to it, combine that with americans obsession with guns and you have potentially volatile mix. Sex and nudity is still taboo but films glorifying war are seen aren't seen as a problem, it makes no sense.

I obviously haven't grown up in America, so culturally i have no clue about what it's like to grow up there. But whenever something like this happens, it's blamed on something like games, i never here people say "we need to reassess the way we view violence as a nation, we need to start from scratch including tv, movies games and understand the consequences of these actions." 

It is definitely a cultural issue. I grew up with cap guns, squirt guns, toys that had guns, video games with guns, movies with guns the list goes on and on. The funny thing is that as much as I liked playing with toy guns as a kid, I detested real guns. As I grew up and realized that the world is not a friendly place and people will kill you for a few dollars, I realized that guns are a necessary evil. To protect myself from bad guys with guns, I need a gun myself.
<message edited by Nocturnus32 on Monday, December 17, 2012 1:55 PM>
redDevil87

Re:Official Gun Discussion Thread - Monday, December 17, 2012 2:13 PM ( #40 )
http://news.sky.com/story/1026461/us-school-shooting-sparks-rise-in-gun-sales

Parents of children at the Sandy Hook school have visited a gun store asking to buy weapons for protection in the wake of the shooting.

. . .  Sales of weapons have soared in the wake of Friday's shooting, according to anecdotal evidence from stores.  The same happened in July after the Colorado movie theatre massacre: the number of people getting approval to buy a guns increased by 43% in a week.

Guns lead to problems, people use guns as a solution to the problems . . .

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 2 of 14, messages 21 to 40 of 272 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread