Valve will release PC/console next year

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 41 to 60 of 75 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
Nutsack

• Total Posts : 248
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Valve will release PC/console next year - Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:14 PM ( #41 )
It is a total different story. The specs of the Ouya were out. Everyone could see it wasn't matching current gen PS360 consoles.

WiiUnderpowered specs were kept secret on purpose, so people couldn't see it really isn't next gen, it just matches this gen.

Everyone and their dog knows that running Android as an OS means you're basically bringing phone style games to the TV with Ouya. And everyone knows too that paying 99 bucks for Ouya shouldn't bring what a product of 300 to 350 bucks brings.
ZombieNinjaPanda

• Total Posts : 11431
Re:Valve will release PC/console next year - Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:21 PM ( #42 )
Nutsack

It is a total different story. The specs of the Ouya were out. Everyone could see it wasn't matching current gen PS360 consoles.

WiiUnderpowered specs were kept secret on purpose, so people couldn't see it really isn't next gen, it just matches this gen.

Everyone and their dog knows that running Android as an OS means you're basically bringing phone style games to the TV with Ouya. And everyone knows too that paying 99 bucks for Ouya shouldn't bring what a product of 300 to 350 bucks brings.

Wrong. I shouldn't need to repost a picture I just showed you. 

You are awfully mad about this. IF you're not praising Sony in one of your posts your claiming some sort of bull**** like this. I guess minecraft isn't really a game from 2011 because it looks like it came out 10 years ago. 

Nutsack

Re:Valve will release PC/console next year - Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:30 PM ( #43 )
ZombieNinjaPanda

Nutsack

You are awfully mad about this. IF you're not praising Sony in one of your posts your claiming some sort of bull**** like this. I guess minecraft isn't really a game from 2011 because it looks like it came out 10 years ago. 

Your picture doesn't prove a lot. You put up a few screenshots of some people wishing. Mostly kids that doesn't have a clue. I could give you a sh!tload of screengrabs of WiiUnderpowered fanboys that claimed for a year that WiiU would be 3 to 6 x as powerful as the PS3 or 360 for all that matter.

Seems you're diehard on defending the low clocked WiiU CPU.

ZombieNinjaPanda

Re:Valve will release PC/console next year - Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:33 PM ( #44 )
Nutsack

ZombieNinjaPanda

Nutsack

Your picture doesn't prove a lot. You put up a few screenshots of some people wishing. Mostly kids that doesn't have a clue. I could give you a sh!tload of screengrabs of WiiUnderpowered fanboys that claimed for a year that WiiU would be 3 to 6 x as powerful as the PS3 or 360 for all that matter.

Seems you're diehard on defending the low clocked WiiU CPU.

I'm not die hard defending it, I'm just tired of your consistent bull**** for someone who has just joined these forums.

Nutsack

Re:Valve will release PC/console next year - Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:37 PM ( #45 )
And why exactly is the truth bull?

The WiiUnderpowered specs were kept secret for a clear reason. 

And we've all seen it is just 3 x Broadway Wii CPU's taped together pretty much. The system uses 30 to 35 watts. It is underpowered. If it streams the games video to the tablet, the framerate drops well below 30fps. Where are all games in 1080p?

And because you're basically N4G's furniture, your opinion is more void than others? lol
<message edited by Nutsack on Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:38 PM>
ZombieNinjaPanda

Re:Valve will release PC/console next year - Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:50 PM ( #46 )
Nutsack

And we've all seen it is just 3 x Broadway Wii CPU's taped together pretty much. The system uses 30 to 35 watts. It is underpowered. If it streams the games video to the tablet, the framerate drops well below 30fps. Where are all games in 1080p?

And because you're basically N4G's furniture, your opinion is more void than others? lol

This is a Valve/PC thread and now we're having a conversation about the WiiU that's the bull****. 90% of your posts are trash talking the console in threads that don't even have to do with the topic.

Do you understand now? Seriously if you really wanna keep up this charade the front page will welcome you with open arms. 

Nutsack

Re:Valve will release PC/console next year - Tuesday, December 11, 2012 5:00 PM ( #47 )
ZombieNinjaPanda

Nutsack

This is a Valve/PC thread and now we're having a conversation about the WiiU that's the bull****. 90% of your posts are trash talking the console in threads that don't even have to do with the topic.

Do you understand now? Seriously if you really wanna keep up this charade the front page will welcome you with open arms. 

May I remind you, that it was you who brought it in this thread?

"Ouya was never relevant. It was dead the moment it was announced. An android level console? And they call the Wii-U underpowered? HA"

So yes. It was about Ouya until you brought it up. Do you understand now? Seriously, if you really want to keep up this nonsense, keep doing what your doing. Inhere or front page.

Saying the Ouya was never relevant when for about 9 mln USD was 'invested' by people who ordered an Ouya for 100 bucks each is relevant. Either way you twist it.

Seems you got more offtopic than anyone else.
thebudgetgamer

• Total Posts : 7018
Re:Valve will release PC/console next year - Tuesday, December 11, 2012 5:03 PM ( #48 )
I don't understand why people would be so dead set against Linux becoming a viable gaming platform, heck Steam runs on OSX. Why not Linux? If they sell this box with it pre-installed I believe it will sell just based on Valve's reputation.

thorstein

• Total Posts : 438
Re:Valve will release PC/console next year - Wednesday, December 12, 2012 7:37 PM ( #49 )
 ANYway, what I really meant was: compared to Ouya, the Steambox is going to do incredibly well. Why? because we already know what the network is going to be like. We already have friends and already know what it is going to be like to download games off of it. We also know what games are compatible with it as it will launch with hundreds of games already out NOW! The VAC secured servers, the community already exists, there is already a base of users. Now I can have all of that with a neat little box to store it all on which means I can use my comp for work and my steambox for gaming. (I know I can already hook my PC up to my TV).
thebudgetgamer

Re:Valve will release PC/console next year - Tuesday, January 08, 2013 3:56 PM ( #50 )
Linux based. Called it.

Pandamobile

• Total Posts : 1709
Re:Valve will release PC/console next year - Tuesday, January 08, 2013 4:00 PM ( #51 )
thebudgetgamer

Linux based. Called it.

Indeed.
thebudgetgamer

Re:Valve will release PC/console next year - Tuesday, January 08, 2013 5:13 PM ( #52 )
Pandamobile

thebudgetgamer

Linux based. Called it.

Indeed.

To be fair there wasn't that many options to chose from. Am interested to see if they can easily post DX games to Opengl.

Satanas

• Total Posts : 13047
Re:Valve will release PC/console next year - Tuesday, January 08, 2013 6:26 PM ( #53 )
Lol, it can't really not be Linux based. But the thing is, when I run Steam on my PC I'm open to a variety a games as I'm running Windows. Linux Steam users are significantly limited in that sense. This will affect the Steambox's library and appeal, but right now I'm sort of just imagining the thing to be a consolized Linux PC with Steam installed. Perhaps it will get its own 'exclusive' titles, though I do doubt that. 

I see that most people in this thread (well those with sense at least) have made similar comments. This is a big question that I still don't really understand how Valve is going about exactly.   

By the way, what the hell is Xbox 8

EDIT: Looks like that question is sort of addressed here.

http://www.theverge.com/2...m-box-future-of-gaming

"We’ll come out with our own [Steam Box] and we’ll sell it to consumers by ourselves. That’ll be a Linux box, [and] if you want to install Windows you can. We’re not going to make it hard."

That's nice and all but having to pay for Windows on top of the Steambox / having to deal with its installation just to open up the majority of Steam's content library will definitely put off prospective consumers. I guess how well this does will depend a lot on marketing strategy and price vs hardware, which I haven't seen anything of.
<message edited by Satanas on Tuesday, January 08, 2013 6:39 PM>
redDevil87

• Total Posts : 8354
Re:Valve will release PC/console next year - Tuesday, January 08, 2013 6:38 PM ( #54 )
Satanas

Lol, it can't really not be Linux based. But the thing is, when I run Steam on my PC I'm open to a variety a games as I'm running Windows. Linux Steam users are significantly limited in that sense. This will affect the Steambox's library and appeal, but right now I'm sort of just imagining the thing to be a consolized Linux PC with Steam installed. Perhaps it will get its own 'exclusive' titles, though I do doubt that. 

I see that most people in this thread (well those with sense at least) have made similar comments. This is a big question that I still don't really understand how Valve is going about exactly.   

By the way, what the hell is Xbox 8

The "8" is to do with the internal components of the new console. apparently the number 8 is in all of the parts of the console. 8 core cpu, 8GB, Windows 8 etc:

http://www.neogaf.com/for./showthread.php?t=507325

A while a go there was also a rumour that it would be called the Xbox Loop. The number "8" can also be designed to be made into a loop symbol.

Satanas

Re:Valve will release PC/console next year - Tuesday, January 08, 2013 6:41 PM ( #55 )
redDevil87

The "8" is to do with the internal components of the new console. apparently the number 8 is in all of the parts of the console. 8 core cpu, 8GB, Windows 8 etc:

http://www.neogaf.com/for./showthread.php?t=507325

A while a go there was also a rumour that it would be called the Xbox Loop. The number "8" can also be designed to be made into a loop symbol.

All seems like bull to me.
Pandamobile

• Total Posts : 1709
Re:Valve will release PC/console next year - Tuesday, January 08, 2013 6:43 PM ( #56 )
thebudgetgamer

To be fair there wasn't that many options to chose from. Am interested to see if they can easily post DX games to Opengl.

I read in that article with Gabe on the Verge that you can install Windows if you want. There's nothing stopping someone from doing that - and that way you can have full access to your Steam library.
Satanas

Re:Valve will release PC/console next year - Tuesday, January 08, 2013 6:45 PM ( #57 )
Pandamobile

thebudgetgamer

I read in that article with Gabe on the Verge that you can install Windows if you want. There's nothing stopping someone from doing that - and that way you can have full access to your Steam library.

As I'd said above, this will still put off prospective consumers, when you could alternatively buy a machine with Windows preinstalled. Imagine the average consumer buying a Steambox, only to find out he or she needs to purchase and handle the installation of Windows just to make Steam useful. I mean, upgrading from Windows 7 to 8 is a big enough task for most people, replacing Linux with Windows or partitioning is a whole other thing
<message edited by Satanas on Tuesday, January 08, 2013 6:46 PM>
redDevil87

• Total Posts : 8354
Re:Valve will release PC/console next year - Tuesday, January 08, 2013 6:46 PM ( #58 )
Satanas

I dunno, i know nothing about tech. 

Some people in the thread said that the console would be a beast with those parts, but expensive, between $400- $500. But because of Xbox Live subscriptions MS can afford to push the price up as subscriptions would help claw back the costs in the long run.

Seems logical i suppose. 

EDIT

MS are also increasing ads on Xbox live. More ad revenue for MS would also help with costs.

http://www.stumbleupon.co...ive-expect-more-tv-ads

http://www.gamesindustry....hes-nuads-on-xbox-live

<message edited by redDevil87 on Tuesday, January 08, 2013 6:49 PM>

sjaakiejj

• Total Posts : 858
Re:Valve will release PC/console next year - Tuesday, January 08, 2013 6:47 PM ( #59 )
Satanas

Linux Steam users are significantly limited in that sense. This will affect the Steambox's library and appeal, but right now I'm sort of just imagining the thing to be a consolized Linux PC with Steam installed. Perhaps it will get its own 'exclusive' titles, though I do doubt that. 

It's competing with Xbox 8 and Playstation 4, neither of which will have many titles at launch. Currently, Linux Steam has 40 Games, and Valve is working on making it easy to port games from Windows to Linux using the Steam platform (I have no idea how that works technically, just using their words). A console that runs Linux will be enough for publishers to consider porting games old games to Linux, and to create new games with Linux in mind, thus solving the problem you stated and bridging the current gap between Windows and Linux in terms of games.

This move could potentially change the future landscape of operating systems - with Microsoft's recent performance, we may very well see them disappear from the OS market in the future. 
"I dont need to read Sonys technical crap, its for the fanboys who believe 6 year old tech is still some super computer lol. "

^^
Front-pagers are funny
Satanas

Re:Valve will release PC/console next year - Tuesday, January 08, 2013 6:48 PM ( #60 )
redDevil87

Satanas

I dunno, i know nothing about tech. 

Some people in the thread said that the console would be a beast with those parts, but expensive, between $400- $500. But because of Xbox Live subscriptions MS can afford to push the price up as subscriptions would help claw back the costs in the long run.

Seems logical i suppose.

They will likely sell it under cost, that I do believe. But I feel like those specs are a little too high to be believed right now. Sony better not repeat the same mistake it did last time with the PS3's late and expensive launch or Microsoft will dominate the early war again

Valve better price these Steamboxes extremely appealingly if they want any attention from the average consumer.

sjaakiejj

It's competing with Xbox 8 and Playstation 4, neither of which will have many titles at launch. Currently, Linux Steam has 40 Games, and Valve is working on making it easy to port games from Windows to Linux using the Steam platform (I have no idea how that works technically, just using their words). A console that runs Linux will be enough for publishers to consider porting games old games to Linux, and to create new games with Linux in mind, thus solving the problem you stated and bridging the current gap between Windows and Linux in terms of games. 

This move could potentially change the future landscape of operating systems - with Microsoft's recent performance, we may very well see them disappear from the OS market in the future.  
  They are going to have to do a lot to ensure that developers in the PC realm target Linux in that case. I suppose that will happen IF and only if the Steambox actually gains any steam, no pun intended.

I suppose the target audience here isn't PC gamers as we'll likely continue to use Windows Steam and have no intention of moving to budget hardware. But I see what you're getting at.

As far as Microsoft disappearing from the OS market, that I do doubt. Actually, Windows 8 is already doing rather well. Even among gamers, as I've seen in Steam user OS reports (ie. http://bgr.com/2012/12/03...-8-steam-usage-survey/ )

I'm also running Windows 8 and I like everything about it except the fact that it bothers to have an app store. What a useless thing. I see the relevance for tablet hardware, but at the same time I see where Newell and the like are coming from. Still, it's a great OS with lots of improvements visually and security-wise
<message edited by Satanas on Tuesday, January 08, 2013 6:57 PM>
Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 41 to 60 of 75 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread