Valve will release PC/console next year

Change Page: < 1234 | Showing page 4 of 4, messages 61 to 75 of 75 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
thorstein

• Total Posts : 417
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Valve will release PC/console next year - Tuesday, January 08, 2013 6:49 PM ( #61 )

Nutsack Half Life 3, Team Fortress 3, new Left4Dead [3]
Valve does NOT make trilogies. They will never make a 3 of any game. DOTA 2, Portal 2, Team Fortress 2, Left4Dead 2, Half Life 2, ... No 3's though I wouldn't put it past them to release a game entitled 3 just to fruck with us.
Kon

• Total Posts : 10773
Re:Valve will release PC/console next year - Tuesday, January 08, 2013 6:53 PM ( #62 )
thorstein

Valve does NOT make trilogies. They will never make a 3 of any game. DOTA 2, Portal 2, Team Fortress 2, Left4Dead 2, Half Life 2, ... No 3's though I wouldn't put it past them to release a game entitled 3 just to fruck with us.

[citation needed]
Stop Cyberbullying!
Solid_Snake

• Total Posts : 2620
Re:Valve will release PC/console next year - Tuesday, January 08, 2013 7:22 PM ( #63 )
I wasn't very interest in this thing, but it's starting to gain my attention.  I honestly think this will affect the new xbox console more than anything else.  If most of the games from the new xbox are on steam, then why not go with the steambox?  It will capture some of the sales from the ps4, but sony has their catalog and exclusives to always fall back on.  Realistically, MS doesn't have many exclusives that will move consoles.  A lot of people will buy the new xbox because of halo, but many more will not buy a console just for halo.  
MAKE ME FEEL ALIVE
Rage_S90

• Total Posts : 7899
Re:Valve will release PC/console next year - Tuesday, January 08, 2013 7:31 PM ( #64 )
Kon

thorstein

[citation needed]

It is known...

Kon

• Total Posts : 10773
Re:Valve will release PC/console next year - Tuesday, January 08, 2013 7:33 PM ( #65 )
Hodor
Stop Cyberbullying!
sjaakiejj

• Total Posts : 858
Re:Valve will release PC/console next year - Tuesday, January 08, 2013 7:39 PM ( #66 )
Satanas

As far as Microsoft disappearing from the OS market, that I do doubt. Actually, Windows 8 is already doing rather well. Even among gamers, as I've seen in Steam user OS reports (ie. http://bgr.com/2012/12/03...-8-steam-usage-survey/ )

Right now Microsoft has an edge over Linux in terms of support, in particular games. If Linux gains significant support in terms of games, the people will follow, and the question will be - is Microsoft able to match the platform? Aside from established support, Microsoft misses the mark on pretty much everything with their OS.

Stability? Performance? Ease of use (think Ubuntu)? Flexibility? Ease of development? Frequency and quality of updates? Royalties? These are all questions in which Linux comes out on top. It's not that far fetched to imagine a future in which manufacturers default to Linux rather than Windows on their pre-built desktops and laptops. 
"I dont need to read Sonys technical crap, its for the fanboys who believe 6 year old tech is still some super computer lol. "

^^
Front-pagers are funny
Satanas

• Total Posts : 13047
Re:Valve will release PC/console next year - Tuesday, January 08, 2013 8:03 PM ( #67 )
sjaakiejj

Satanas

As far as Microsoft disappearing from the OS market, that I do doubt. Actually, Windows 8 is already doing rather well. Even among gamers, as I've seen in Steam user OS reports (ie. http://bgr.com/2012/12/03...-8-steam-usage-survey/ )

Right now Microsoft has an edge over Linux in terms of support, in particular games. If Linux gains significant support in terms of games, the people will follow, and the question will be - is Microsoft able to match the platform? Aside from established support, Microsoft misses the mark on pretty much everything with their OS.

Stability? Performance? Ease of use (think Ubuntu)? Flexibility? Ease of development? Frequency and quality of updates? Royalties? These are all questions in which Linux comes out on top. It's not that far fetched to imagine a future in which manufacturers default to Linux rather than Windows on their pre-built desktops and laptops. 

Where we differ in thought is that I do not believe gaming is a major component for gaining mainstream OS market share. As far as stability, performance and all that goes, I don't actually agree, I've never been a fan of Linux myself though. But I work in the programming field and I suppose I'm just really comfortable with Windows. Windows 8 is actually great and addresses a ton of issues. Right now I believe it's very far-fetched to see developers choosing Linux over Windows until the market share is even mildly visible, and that will take a lot
thebudgetgamer

• Total Posts : 6943
Re:Valve will release PC/console next year - Tuesday, January 08, 2013 8:07 PM ( #68 )
Pandamobile

thebudgetgamer

To be fair there wasn't that many options to chose from. Am interested to see if they can easily post DX games to Opengl.

I read in that article with Gabe on the Verge that you can install Windows if you want. There's nothing stopping someone from doing that - and that way you can have full access to your Steam library.

The reason why I'm so interested in Linux as a gaming platform is if someone does want to build their own rig they can chop almost a hundred bucks right off the top.
sjaakiejj

Re:Valve will release PC/console next year - Tuesday, January 08, 2013 8:12 PM ( #69 )
Satanas

Where we differ in thought is that I do not believe gaming is a major component for gaining mainstream OS market share. As far as stability, performance and all that goes, I don't actually agree, I've never been a fan of Linux myself though. But I work in the programming field and I suppose I'm just really comfortable with Windows. Windows 8 is actually great and addresses a ton of issues. Right now I believe it's very far-fetched to see developers choosing Linux over Windows until the market share is even mildly visible, and that will take a lot

They're not opinions... 
"I dont need to read Sonys technical crap, its for the fanboys who believe 6 year old tech is still some super computer lol. "

^^
Front-pagers are funny
Satanas

Re:Valve will release PC/console next year - Tuesday, January 08, 2013 9:06 PM ( #70 )
sjaakiejj

Satanas

They're not opinions... 

Depends on what sources you trust and personal experience. I don't like Linux, and I certainly don't find it to be any more user-friendly than Windows. Nor do I find Windows 8 to be unstable or perform less well than any distros I've dealt with myself (Ubuntu, Gentoo, Fedora Core and SuSe), especially not for gaming where my personal experience has given me lacklustre experiences on Linux

Granted that was mostly with the Unreal series, I mean at the time, was there even anything out for Linux? The answer is no

In any case, my original point was that Linux is not relevant to the average consumer and it'll be a rough path trying to make it. Right now, A Linux-based steambox is a pretty clear handicap unless these things are priced extremely well.
<message edited by Satanas on Tuesday, January 08, 2013 9:28 PM>
sjaakiejj

Re:Valve will release PC/console next year - Tuesday, January 08, 2013 9:30 PM ( #71 )

Satanas

Depends on what sources you trust and personal experience. I don't like Linux, and I certainly don't find it to be any more user-friendly than Windows. Nor do I find Windows 8 to be unstable or perform less well than any distros I've dealt with myself (Ubuntu, Gentoo, Fedora Core and SuSe), especially not for gaming where my personal experience has given me lacklustre experiences on Linux 

Granted that was mostly with the Unreal series, I mean at the time, was there even anything out for Linux? The answer is no

I never said Windows 8 was unstable - I said Linux was more stable and performed better, which it does. Even if you haven't experienced that difference yourself, actual benchmarks show evidence of the difference. 

To discredit an operating system based on the merits of a single game series really implies you should give it another chance. Try developing in Linux, and you too will be convinced it's a lot better than it is on Windows. Most of all though, remember that Linux has changed a lot since the last title in the Unreal series. 

^^
Front-pagers are funny
Satanas

Re:Valve will release PC/console next year - Tuesday, January 08, 2013 9:40 PM ( #72 )
sjaakiejj

I never said Windows 8 was unstable - I said Linux was more stable and performed better, which it does. Even if you haven't experienced that difference yourself, actual benchmarks show evidence of the difference. 

To discredit an operating system based on the merits of a single game series really implies you should give it another chance. Try developing in Linux, and you too will be convinced it's a lot better than it is on Windows. Most of all though, remember that Linux has changed a lot since the last title in the Unreal series. 

I can honestly tell you that developing in VS 2010 and 2012 has been the best IDE experience I've had, and it really isn't surprising. Not only is the application stellar, but so is the documentation. Another problem you must consider are the quantity and training of Windows vs Linux developers, and how much more ubiquitous the former are

Actually, forget this, it isn't relevant to the topic. Linux will handicap the Steambox, at least for a little while, unless Valve has a really well thought out marketing and content release scheme.
sjaakiejj

Re:Valve will release PC/console next year - Tuesday, January 08, 2013 9:50 PM ( #73 )
Satanas

I can honestly tell you that developing in VS 2010 and 2012 has been the best IDE experience I've had, and it really isn't surprising. Not only is the application stellar, but so is the documentation. Another problem you must consider are the quantity and training of Windows vs Linux developers, and how much more ubiquitous the former are

Developing without an IDE is the best experience I've ever had in developing. Other than that, the libraries provided by Linux have a far larger range than those of Windows, and there's no DLL files. Installation of extensions to those libraries is also trivial in Linux, where as it can be quite a hassle on Windows. On top of that, they're all kept up to date by the update manager. 

Give it a chance, I've not met a single person who regretted it. 

^^
Front-pagers are funny
Satanas

Re:Valve will release PC/console next year - Tuesday, January 08, 2013 10:02 PM ( #74 )
sjaakiejj

Developing without an IDE is the best experience I've ever had in developing. Other than that, the libraries provided by Linux have a far larger range than those of Windows, and there's no DLL files. Installation of extensions to those libraries is also trivial in Linux, where as it can be quite a hassle on Windows. On top of that, they're all kept up to date by the update manager. 

Give it a chance, I've not met a single person who regretted it. 

I've really no reason to, as I work for a company who develops programs for Windows, IOS and Android, and many of the tools we use (ie for regression and UI testing we use Ranorex, a fantastic tool that I can't recommend enough) depend heavily on the Windows API and therefore there are no Linux versions, and other such things. And on top of all that, I don't and have never felt the need to move off Windows - I used Linux extensively in school and have acquired a general dislike for it

Anyway, so as to not further derail this topic, you'd have to agree that choosing Linux over Windows certainly isn't going to improve the Steambox's chance of success if nothing more. When we just look at the library of games and nothing more, it's not a competition at all. I can already see the average consumer looking at the Steambox, seeing that it runs Linux, and being put off. The stereotype of Linux and Mac and gaming has not left anyone's mind as of yet, and it will take serious work to have it be done with.
<message edited by Satanas on Tuesday, January 08, 2013 10:06 PM>
thorstein

• Total Posts : 417
Re:Valve will release PC/console next year - Sunday, January 13, 2013 5:39 PM ( #75 )

Kon
thorstein
[citation needed]
Hi, tongue, have you met cheek? Perhaps not. ;P
Change Page: < 1234 | Showing page 4 of 4, messages 61 to 75 of 75 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread