The Official Rayman Origins Thread

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 40 of 51 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
TheLastGuardian
  • Total Posts : 3666
  • Reward points : 0
The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Saturday, November 05, 2011 12:38 AM

Release Dates: November 15(NA), November 25(EU)
Platforms: PS3, 360, Wii, PS Vita, 3DS and PC
Developer: Ubisoft Montpellier   Publisher: Ubisoft  

Qore Preview                                                 E3 2011 Gameplay Demo

Trailers

Rayman Origins is available now on every current gen console, handheld and PC. There's no excuse for you not to play it.
<message edited by TheLastGuardian on Sunday, April 08, 2012 4:41 AM>

Kon
  • Total Posts : 11113
Re:The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Saturday, November 05, 2011 12:48 AM
Never heard about this game till now. Might keep an eye on it.

Edit: Damn it looks very cool.
<message edited by Kon on Saturday, November 05, 2011 12:50 AM>
Stop Cyberbullying!

13/05/2014 - The day innovation died.

PeeWizzle
  • Total Posts : 2870
Re:The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Saturday, November 05, 2011 12:51 AM
Its got that sexy style. I'm going to get high and rub it in my eyes. 
My soul is still dancing.  

TheNocturnus
  • Total Posts : 4403
Re:The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Saturday, November 05, 2011 1:01 AM
Looks ok I guess. This should be one of those summer games because there are way too many better games coming out right now.

TheLastGuardian
Re:The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Saturday, November 05, 2011 1:15 AM
Nocturnus31

Looks ok I guess. This should be one of those summer games because there are way too many better games coming out right now.

Why do you assume all the other big games coming out are better than Rayman Origins? I agree they picked the wrong time to release though. According to the first trailer in the OP it's already gotten some very high scores. This game appeals to me more than almost every game coming out right now.

TheNocturnus
  • Total Posts : 4403
Re:The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Saturday, November 05, 2011 1:47 AM

Why do you assume all the other big games coming out are better than Rayman Origins? I agree they picked the wrong time to release though. According to the first trailer in the OP it's already gotten some very high scores. This game appeals to me more than almost every game coming out right now.

Just my opinion man.

To me: Skyrim, BF3, Dead Island, CODMW3, Super Mario 3D Land, Batman: Arkam City > Rayman Origins

Now as a new 3DS owner, the 3DS version intrigues me more than it's console counterpart.

TheLastGuardian
Re:The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Saturday, November 05, 2011 2:13 AM
Nocturnus31

Why do you assume all the other big games coming out are better than Rayman Origins? I agree they picked the wrong time to release though. According to the first trailer in the OP it's already gotten some very high scores. This game appeals to me more than almost every game coming out right now.

Just my opinion man.

To me: Skyrim, BF3, Dead Island, CODMW3, Super Mario 3D Land, Batman: Arkam City > Rayman Origins

Now as a new 3DS owner, the 3DS version intrigues me more than it's console counterpart.

These games aren't out yet and you haven't played Rayman Origins so you shouldn't have an opinion on which games are better than it. Or are you just saying you think they LOOK like better games? I'm concidering whether to get this for PS3 or wait for the Vita version.
<message edited by TheLastGuardian on Saturday, November 05, 2011 2:14 AM>

RockmanII7
  • Total Posts : 2584
Re:The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Saturday, November 05, 2011 5:53 PM
I'm interested in the game, but my biggest worry is that from what I've seen every time they played it at a major event it was always coop and since I would be the only one to buy this I want to know if the single player is good by yourself or if it's like L4D series where it is only really fun in coop. If it gets over an 80 I'll more likely than not buy it since I prefer 2D games over 3D games.

TheLastGuardian
Re:The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Monday, November 07, 2011 10:52 PM
Launch trailer is here. 1 week to go.

@RockmanII7
Yeah, it's too bad the co-op is offline only, it looks like alot of fun. Supposedly they didn't do online so they could keep the graphics as good as possible.

RockmanII7
  • Total Posts : 2584
Re:The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Thursday, November 10, 2011 8:08 PM
Nevermind

Kon
Re:The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Thursday, November 10, 2011 8:14 PM
RockmanII7

Nevermind

i mind.
Stop Cyberbullying!

TheLastGuardian
Re:The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Thursday, November 10, 2011 8:19 PM
RockmanII7

Nevermind

That's a great album.

Thx 4 bumpin' this thread Rocky.

PeeWizzle
  • Total Posts : 2870
Re:The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Thursday, November 10, 2011 8:22 PM
TheLastGuardian

RockmanII7

Nevermind

That's a great album.

Thx 4 bumpin' this thread Rocky.

I want that super deluxe edition of Nevermind. Too bad its so over priced. 
My soul is still dancing.  

Convas
  • Total Posts : 2484
Re:The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Thursday, November 10, 2011 8:23 PM
Yeah, this Rayman Origins looks rock-solid. Definitely on my backlog with Sonic Generations. I'm really hoping there'll be some Holiday sales on some of these games so I can pick them up on the cheap.
(Steam: Ricky Ricardo)(Origin: Convas)(PSN/XBL: Convas)

TheLastGuardian
Re:The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Thursday, November 10, 2011 11:03 PM
IGN gave Rayman Origins a 9.5  Still think most other big games releasing this season are better Nocturnus? I haven't seen any scores less than 9 yet. It must be one of the best 2D platformers in a long time.

Edit: Well, It's gotten less than a 9 of course but It's sitting at an 89 on Metacritic and 9.1 average on N4G.
<message edited by TheLastGuardian on Sunday, November 13, 2011 12:17 PM>

AntoineDcoolette
  • Total Posts : 421
Re:The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Sunday, November 13, 2011 1:27 AM
I played the demo last night. Dear lord, the colors and animations made my eyes come blood and I think I suffered a brain hemorrhage!
"But escargot is too special you fiieennd! THEY MUST BE PREPARED JUST RIGHT YOU MANIAC!"

TheLastGuardian
Re:The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Sunday, November 13, 2011 12:14 PM
I played the demo last night and I had the biggest smile on my face the whole way through. The art style, the music, the gameplay, everything is just fantastic. I must have this game.

Please let me know if anyone finds a Black Friday deal on Rayman Origins.
<message edited by TheLastGuardian on Sunday, November 13, 2011 9:43 PM>

Rage_S90
  • Total Posts : 7899
Re:The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Sunday, November 13, 2011 12:51 PM
AntoineDcoolette

I played the demo last night. Dear lord, the colors and animations made my eyes come blood and I think I suffered a brain hemorrhage!

I thought you didn't like linear games?

OT: Art style is AMAZING!

AntoineDcoolette
Re:The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Sunday, November 13, 2011 3:47 PM
^ I don't recall expressing any dislike for linear games. I simply like them les than non-linear games. Rayman Origins gets massive brownie points for the art direction and tight controls though.
"But escargot is too special you fiieennd! THEY MUST BE PREPARED JUST RIGHT YOU MANIAC!"

TheLastGuardian
Re:The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Wednesday, November 16, 2011 10:03 PM

Anybody have this game yet?

Convas
  • Total Posts : 2484
Re:The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Wednesday, November 16, 2011 11:13 PM
@Sleepy: Dude, Gamestop has Rayman Origins for $40 on Black Friday http://www.examiner.com/c...k-friday-2011-gamestop
(Steam: Ricky Ricardo)(Origin: Convas)(PSN/XBL: Convas)

TheLastGuardian
Re:The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Wednesday, November 16, 2011 11:54 PM
Clizzz

@Sleepy: Dude, Gamestop has Rayman Origins for $40 on Black Friday http://www.examiner.com/console-gaming-in-national/black-friday-2011-gamestop

Nice, I'll get it there unless I find a better deal somewhere else.

Austin_SJ
  • Total Posts : 7071
Re:The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Thursday, November 17, 2011 3:25 AM
It really does look fantastic.

LadyRogue
  • Total Posts : 172
Re:The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Thursday, December 01, 2011 1:35 PM
TheLastGuardian

Clizzz

@Sleepy: Dude, Gamestop has Rayman Origins for $40 on Black Friday

Nice, I'll get it there unless I find a better deal somewhere else.

It's on sale for $30 but only for Wii 
This game looks great though, adding it to my wishlist 
I love that it has co op even though its offline only. Have you played the co op yet? 

TheLastGuardian
Re:The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Thursday, December 01, 2011 2:55 PM
Rogue_Renegade

It's on sale for $30 but only for Wii 
This game looks great though, adding it to my wishlist 
I love that it has co op even though its offline only. Have you played the co op yet? 

Sadly, none of my friends or relatives really play video games so, I haven't played been able to try the co-op. It looks like a ton of fun, wish I could try it.

I'm very impressed with this game. I knew it was going to be great but I had no idea I would enjoy it as much as I am. I'm just blown away by how incredible this game is. I can't recommend it enough.

I know $60 might seem like too much to charge for a 2D platformer but trust me, it's soooo worth it. The replayability is definitely there. There are lots of hidden rooms to find and time trials to beat. If you like platformers, Rayman Origins is a must buy.

_Q_
  • Total Posts : 5536
Re:The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Thursday, December 01, 2011 3:46 PM
I absolutely loved the demo. This is what needs to be done MORE. HD 2D Cell shaded platformers. There is nothing cheap or less advanced about this game. This is 16bit era level quality with 7gen visuals. Just from the demo I know I'd play this more than most of the games this gen combined. Sadly I am not buying it... I am leaving certain items unpurchased in hopes they show up under a certain tree. If no Dec 25th...Dec 26th... =D Buy this game!
Click Click Clicky Goes that Q guy. Say it with me... M-Q-ROWZ!  PSN ID Mquirozz Twitter.com/mquirozz

TheLastGuardian
Re:The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Thursday, December 01, 2011 4:07 PM
Forget christmas, this game needs to be bought right now. If you get an extra copy for christmas, great, give it to someone special. If you guys only knew how great the full game was, you would not be able to wait until christmas. Buy 5 copies if you can, help support a great developer and a dying genre. A game like this only comes around every once in a blue moon.

If you're still on the fence about buying Rayman Origins, here's the review you need to read.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1212052p1.html

IGN

Rayman Origins is special, rare and precious. Somewhere in the last few years, the classic notion of games being benign and whimsical escapist fantasies was lost in favor of battered, war torn landscapes and desolate dystopian apocalypse. Vibrant worlds turned to rot and grit, smiles turned to screams, and it seemed that by and large, gaming lost its innocence.

Is it possible for a game in this era to recapture the magic that inspired this industry to begin, while still proving itself a capable, full-fledged experience under modern scrutiny? In the case of Ubisoft's Rayman Origins, the answer is "slapsolutely."

In many ways, what we have here is this generation's most artistically cohesive package, with perfectly imagined visual direction that never ceases to induce smiles. It's as if art director Michel Ancel drew a single, whimsical napkin sketch and then built an entire world around it, consistently expanding on but never once backing down from his original vision. Plant life unfurls around you, fiery pillars collapse, and avalanches give way to lush landscapes for your goofy characters to happily slap each other around. It's fantastic vibrant chaos that's exquisite on the eyes, with buttery smooth animation and a rock solid frame-rate.

There are moments of total madness where the background elements mesh with the foreground causing occasional confusion, but Rayman's biggest visionary downside is that it's almost distractingly beautiful. l want to stop to take it all in, but instead I hop and bop and collect everything I can in a mad dash to the goal. Luckily, most stages buck this trend by becoming more meticulously calculated affairs, where you (and some friends!) strategically grab Lums, (Rayman's answer to coins) and explore hidden corners of the worlds to conquer secret sub areas at your own pace.

There is never a shortage of people gathering around me to revel in how incredible Rayman looks on a nice television, and mastering stages in all their glory delivers a fluid, magnificent spectacle. Single player gets the job done and will absolutely satiate any cravings you have for an awesome and unique side-scrolling gaming experience, especially in the absence of a traditional 2D Mario title this year. But the real sweet spot here is grabbing two or three friends and just kicking some ass through these exuberant environments. You'll laugh, you'll curse each other out and you'll partake in some of the most fun local multiplayer action of this generation, hands down.

Rayman and his friends Globox and the Teensies don't rely on power-ups in the traditional sense here. Rather, each new world provides a new ability or attack to learn, and those moves stay with you forever, leaving plenty of opportunities to return to older stages and fly through them with more style and finesse. Each world offers plenty of insane locales. From the nightmarish cauldrons of pepper-obsessed chefs to the dark and murky underwater caverns brimming with vivid and ferocious sea life, there is plenty to see here. You'll take to the backs of giant mosquitos in ever-evolving side scrolling shooter stages as buzzing orchestras hum away. You'll swirl under oceans in the closest a video game has ever come to replicating the orchestrated synchronized swimming scenes in a Busby Berkeley film (Google it).

Experienced players will unlock unique treasure chest chase levels; non-stop "screw up once and you're dead" speed-runs that will test your dexterity and twitch reflexes as much as test they your patience. Rayman is tough, a near brutal challenge at times but it never fully inspires controller throwing, rage quitting anger thanks largely in part to its liberal use of checkpoints and its "you're so damn lovable that I can't stay mad at you for long" behavior. There are a few trial and error moments, but by and large this is a showcase of your own nimbleness, finesse and wit and it rewards your skills oh so handsomely.
Sadly, the past few years seem to have convinced some critics all that "artsy" platforming games ought to be short affairs, best suited for the flimsy world of DLC. Rayman is much, much better than that.

There are a magnitude of stages to explore here, epic boss fights, unlockable character skins, hidden stages galore and hours upon hours of frantic fun. The notion that imaginative visuals and matinee-priced entry fees need be mutually exclusive is one Rayman Origins continues to dispel as hour after hour of gaming joy continue to ramp up in both sheer scope and in grand gratification. Rayman Origins takes on a genre mastery of ground work laid down decades ago and elevates it to astronomical new standards. It's a spectacular living painting that's as much fun to play as it is to look at, and it's a total triumph. Your move, video game industry.

Closing Comments:
In a blockbuster holiday season of M-rated war games, it’s refreshing to see something so different and special as Rayman Origins. It’s downright gorgeous and a total blast to play alone or with friends. A truly realized vision at the top of its genre, Rayman Origins is an extravaganza with plenty of action to keep it fresh from start to finish and beyond.

9.5 out of 10 - Amazing

<message edited by TheLastGuardian on Thursday, December 01, 2011 4:12 PM>

LadyRogue
Re:The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Thursday, December 01, 2011 4:15 PM
_Q_

I absolutely loved the demo. This is what needs to be done MORE. HD 2D Cell shaded platformers. There is nothing cheap or less advanced about this game. This is 16bit era level quality with 7gen visuals. Just from the demo I know I'd play this more than most of the games this gen combined. Sadly I am not buying it... I am leaving certain items unpurchased in hopes they show up under a certain tree. If no Dec 25th...Dec 26th... =D Buy this game!

Here's hoping for boxing week sales (sorry Guardian)! You're like the official spokesperson for the game lol 

TheLastGuardian
Re:The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Thursday, December 01, 2011 4:27 PM
Rogue_Renegade

_Q_

Here's hoping for boxing week sales (sorry Guardian)! You're like the official spokesperson for the game lol 

Lol, maybe here on N4G. I just like to spread the word about underrated gems. You don't have to apoligize, I waited until Black friday to buy my copy too so, it's all good. Just as long as you don't skip the game altogether like most people will, doesn't really matter when you buy it.

_Q_
  • Total Posts : 5536
Re:The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Thursday, December 01, 2011 5:58 PM
@TLG Hahaha we are a bit in the same... Outland,Deathspank(trilogy)Section 8, Lead and gold,Dead Nation... Gems to be had folks!
Click Click Clicky Goes that Q guy. Say it with me... M-Q-ROWZ!  PSN ID Mquirozz Twitter.com/mquirozz

TheLastGuardian
Re:The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Thursday, December 01, 2011 6:17 PM
_Q_

@TLG Hahaha we are a bit in the same... Outland,Deathspank(trilogy)Section 8, Lead and gold,Dead Nation... Gems to be had folks!

Never played these games but Outland is my download only GOTY. I'm loving Ubisoft and their colorful, 2D platformers this year. I wish there were way more full priced platformers like Rayman Origins this gen. Enough with all the damn FPS games, platforming should be the #1 genre again.

LadyRogue
Re:The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Friday, December 02, 2011 12:25 AM
_Q_

Apparently I'm missing out cuz I've never played any of these games o.O ...there are so many to try out!  Dang, I could've gotten Dead Nation for free but I went w/Infamous & Wipeout instead... 

Kon
Re:The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Friday, December 02, 2011 12:31 AM

If you like platformers you might consider getting Sonic Generations. Awesome game
Stop Cyberbullying!

TheLastGuardian
Re:The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Friday, December 02, 2011 12:47 AM
Watching the credits roll now. I've still got tons of stuff to do before getting the platinum trophy but I'm still very sad the game is over. I really hope they make DLC and a sequel for this game. I WANT MOAR!!!

@Kon
I've heard good things about Sonic: Generations. I'll get around to playing the demo eventually.

LadyRogue
Re:The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Friday, December 02, 2011 9:31 AM
Kon

If you like platformers you might consider getting Sonic Generations. Awesome game 

That demo is still waiting to played because I keep getting sidetracked with Earthworm Jim instead 

TheLastGuardian

Watching the credits roll now. I've still got tons of stuff to do before getting the platinum trophy but I'm still very sad the game is over. I really hope they make DLC and a sequel for this game. I WANT MOAR!!!

@Kon
I've heard good things about Sonic: Generations. I'll get around to playing the demo eventually.

You finished it already? Nice!
I have another amazing platformer to recommend -- Trine. It has GORGEOUS visuals, music & gameplay...2-3 player co-op too!

TheLastGuardian
Re:The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Friday, December 02, 2011 4:11 PM
Rogue_Renegade

TheLastGuardian

@Kon

I have another amazing platformer to recommend -- Trine. It has GORGEOUS visuals, music & gameplay...2-3 player co-op too!

Already? I've been playing this game nonstop for a week. It's a pretty long game actually. It's single player took me longer to beat than most single player games this gen. I don't think the game keeps track of your total play time but I'd say it took me at least 20 hours to reach the credits.

Also, I found out I still have 2 levels I haven't unlocked yet. They say the last level you unlock is the hardest level in the game and contains the biggest boss. I was wondering why I didn't get that secret trophy after watching the credits.

I got Trine for free because someone gameshared it with me. It was alright but I ended up not liking it. I kept dying for stupid reasons, that was annoying. I didn't think the gameplay was all that fun, felt more like work to me.
<message edited by TheLastGuardian on Friday, December 02, 2011 4:12 PM>

LadyRogue
Re:The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Sunday, December 11, 2011 4:14 PM
TheLastGuardian

Rogue_Renegade

TheLastGuardian

@Kon

Already? I've been playing this game nonstop for a week. It's a pretty long game actually. It's single player took me longer to beat than most single player games this gen. I don't think the game keeps track of your total play time but I'd say it took me at least 20 hours to reach the credits.

Also, I found out I still have 2 levels I haven't unlocked yet. They say the last level you unlock is the hardest level in the game and contains the biggest boss. I was wondering why I didn't get that secret trophy after watching the credits.

I got Trine for free because someone gameshared it with me. It was alright but I ended up not liking it. I kept dying for stupid reasons, that was annoying. I didn't think the gameplay was all that fun, felt more like work to me.
 Yeah I heard there's a lot of replayability with Rayman Origins, that's always a good thing to discover in any game

I'm so shocked & disappointed about your thoughts on Trine! (The way you feel about Rayman Origins is how I feel about Trine)
Anyways I hope you don't give up on it altogether; maybe the issues you came across in the first game will be resolved in Trine 2

TheLastGuardian
Re:The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Friday, December 16, 2011 7:21 PM

If this video and the Rayman Origins demo don't convince you to buy this game, I don't know what will. This game is an absolute must buy. I'm actually sad that I've finished unlocking everything. This game just leaves me wanting so much more. I really hope there will be DLC and a sequel to Rayman Origins.

AntoineDcoolette
Re:The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Saturday, December 17, 2011 2:34 PM
I'm going to purchase this game to keep my little cousin distracted when I have to baby sit. 

LadyRogue
Re:The Official Rayman Origins Thread - Saturday, December 17, 2011 4:58 PM
AntoineDcoolette

I'm going to purchase this game to keep my little cousin distracted when I have to baby sit. 
 lol play some co op at least!

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 40 of 51 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version