Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ?

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 40 of 64 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
Eyeco
  • Total Posts : 21
  • Reward points : 0
Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 2:39 AM
Let's take a look back, 

* Late 2006 was a launch year Resistance FOM phenomenal underrated and overlooked shooter.

* 2007 Again nowhere near as bad as you might think , clouded by the anti-ps3 hate of that year, look at the great games released Heavenly Sword, Folklore, Uncharted Drakes Fortune, Motorstorm, Ratchet and Clank FTOD excellent games.

*2008 this is when the PS3 really started to kick a$$ Valkyria Chronicles, Little Big Planet, Metal Gear Solid 4, Resistance 2

*2009 the PS3's best year hands down, just hit after hit Killzone 2 awesome, Infamous awesome, Demon Souls awesome, Uncharted 2 fvckin awesome.

* 2010 Not as good as last year but still pretty great, Heavy Rain, MAG, GOW 3, GT5, Modnation Racers

*2011 Killzone 3, LBP2, Socom 4 (underrated) Uncharted 3 , Resistance 3, Infamous 2

* This year so far we've had Journey (psn), Starhawk was meh, Twisted Metal was meh, LBPR double meh, and what's left , PS AS? the one game i was looking forward to Sly 4 got pushed to next year.

I think its safe to say this has been the weakest year for the system

FPStealthRPGamer
  • Total Posts : 70
Re:Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 3:12 AM
Hey look!

It's Wonderbook!

wishingW3L
  • Total Posts : 1091
Re:Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 4:21 AM
yes, it has been terrible but I don't play every single game that comes out every month so I have quite the backlog accumulated... I still haven't even played inFamous 2 and people tell me that the game's incredible and not to mention that I still play PS1 and PS2 games too so I think I can survive this drought until 2013. And let me say that 2013 is freaking packed! It'll probably be one of the best years and with many new IP's. 

My most anticipated game of next year is Yakuza 5 but I know most people will say either GOW Ascension or The Last of Us, and it's understandable since Yakuza games always get bad scores even though they are awesome games.

moegooner88
  • Total Posts : 2046
Re:Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 4:34 AM
For you maybe, but there are others who enjoyed Twisted Metal, and Starhawk, for me Ratchet and Clank Trilogy was something I have waiting for since GOW HD remaster was announced, you also forgot Ratchet and Clank ACIT from the 2009 lineup

Elvis
  • Total Posts : 1031
Re:Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 5:41 AM
Eyeco

Twisted Metal was meh

You're lucky that MD is currently banned.

Eyeco
Re:Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 5:48 AM
moegooner88

For you maybe, but there are others who enjoyed Twisted Metal, and Starhawk, for me Ratchet and Clank Trilogy was something I have waiting for since GOW HD remaster was announced, you also forgot Ratchet and Clank ACIT from the 2009 lineup

ahh yes i thought i forget something, but the point i was trying to make , each year the ps3 has had a game that could be considered among the best of the year sometimes THE best, I understand you liked Twisted Metal and Starhawk but i wouldn't rank those games among the 10 best of the year, in fact to most they were pretty mediocre. Come 2013 they would have been swept into obscurity.

@Wishingw3l

Ahh yes i was gonna make another point regarding 2013 its looking to be the PS3's strongest since 2009, so in a way im kinda glad that Sly 4 was pushed to 2013 that makes next all the more stronger but disappointed because it makes this year all the more weaker.

Nutsack
  • Total Posts : 248
Re:Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 7:47 AM
Eyeco

moegooner88

ahh yes i thought i forget something, but the point i was trying to make , each year the ps3 has had a game that could be considered among the best of the year sometimes THE best, I understand you liked Twisted Metal and Starhawk but i wouldn't rank those games among the 10 best of the year, in fact to most they were pretty mediocre. Come 2013 they would have been swept into obscurity.

@Wishingw3l

Ahh yes i was gonna make another point regarding 2013 its looking to be the PS3's strongest since 2009, so in a way im kinda glad that Sly 4 was pushed to 2013 that makes next all the more stronger but disappointed because it makes this year all the more weaker.

You actually did forgot some, for example the great Motorstorm 2 Pacific Rift. Motorstorm 3 ofcourse, although not as good as MS2.

The stuff you really missed are the great PSN releases. They might not be on retail disc, but some of those games are true crackers. The original Joe Danger, for a long time only on PSN, the recent Sound Shapes in 2012 and more.

There is more than just exclusives too eh. But well. One thing is for sure, this years PS3 retail exclusives are indeed pretty meh. LBP Karting should never had been, Modnation Racers is the better game.

Agreed with 2008 being a great year for PS3, I got my 80GB PS3 Fat 65nm LBP pack in November of that year and got Motorstorm 2 for free with it for 400 Euro. Sweet spot to get it, still when I look back at it at this point in time! Coming year looks good, with new God of War and The Last of Us and PS+ kicking into higher gear for both PS3 and PSVita. And then we will be spoiled with new PSOrbis and Xbox 8 details at E3 2013!

NeverEnding1989
  • Total Posts : 666
Re:Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 8:08 AM
The weakest so far? Yes. And that's saying something when you look at the first two miserable holiday seasons the PS3 had. 

But it makes sense. SONY has devs working on PS Vita and most likely already working on the PS4. From SONY's point of view, they're probably looking at putting the PS3 behind them as quickly as possible. 

Welcome to next gen:

Nutsack
Re:Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 8:22 AM
NeverEnding1989

The weakest so far? Yes. And that's saying something when you look at the first two miserable holiday seasons the PS3 had. 

But it makes sense. SONY has devs working on PS Vita and most likely already working on the PS4. From SONY's point of view, they're probably looking at putting the PS3 behind them as quickly as possible. 

Oh, that is why they bring a new God of War and The Last of Us in 2013? If they'd left the PS3 behind, that wouldn't happen now would it? It just seems they had the wrong bets on exclusives for this year which turned out in some weaker exclusives like Motorstorm 3, LBP Karting, Starhawk, Twisted Metal... It seems PS All Stars will be the best exclusive for PS3 this year.

Where Motorstorm 2 was a great game, MS3 was not so much. Modnation Racers was pretty good, LBPK not so much. Warhawk turned out to be a great MP game early in the PS3's lifecycle, Starhawk is just alright, Twisted Metal same story.

So no, Sony isn't leaving behind PS3 for some time as shown with the exclusive IP's for next year (while MS is just putting all their moneys on some more secure sequels like Halo and Forza), Sony just takes some gambles with investing their money and this year was a not that well made gamble I guess. They did put effort in it, seeing the exclusive games listed above, it just didn't work out this round. I have believe in next years IP's though!

moegooner88
Re:Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 8:31 AM
Nutsack

NeverEnding1989

Oh, that is why they bring a new God of War and The Last of Us in 2013? If they'd left the PS3 behind, that wouldn't happen now would it? It just seems they had the wrong bets on exclusives for this year which turned out in some weaker exclusives like Motorstorm 3, LBP Karting, Starhawk, Twisted Metal... It seems PS All Stars will be the best exclusive for PS3 this year.

Where Motorstorm 2 was a great game, MS3 was not so much. Modnation Racers was pretty good, LBPK not so much. Warhawk turned out to be a great MP game early in the PS3's lifecycle, Starhawk is just alright, Twisted Metal same story.

So no, Sony isn't leaving behind PS3 for some time as shown with the exclusive IP's for next year (while MS is just putting all their moneys on some more secure sequels like Halo and Forza), Sony just takes some gambles with investing their money and this year was a not that well made gamble I guess. They did put effort in it, seeing the exclusive games listed above, it just didn't work out this round. I have believe in next years IP's though!

How dare you forget Beyond, 2 new I.Ps so late in the console cycle, compared to another Halo, and Forza, yeah, sure Sony is the one moving on.

NeverEnding1989
Re:Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 8:50 AM
Nutsack

Where did this come from??

Compared to recent years, 2013 is looking pretty slow. There are plenty of games coming down the pipeline, but I think we'll see more and more of those move to PS4. SONY really wants to look forward to a PS2-like generation and never look back at this generation, where they lost 50% of their install base. 

I'm thinking there will be some crazy launch games for PS4. And hey, not buying as many (or any) PS3 games means people can start saving for next gen.

<message edited by NeverEnding1989 on Wednesday, November 07, 2012 8:52 AM>

Welcome to next gen:

Rage_S90
  • Total Posts : 7899
Re:Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 9:04 AM
You're trying way to hard man, you can't come off as desperate in these kind of things, come see me for classes. 

Whoooop
  • Total Posts : 5653
Re:Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 9:05 AM
Actually....  It seems like 2013 is going to be a healthy year in gaming. Aside from Sony alone which will be releasing 3 big games (TLoU, Ascension and Beyond) you also have GTA5, Bioshock Infinite, Dead Space 3, Metal Gear Rising, Gears of War: Judgement, Watch Dogs... among many others.

I know I will be playing much more in 2013 than I have this year.  
<message edited by Whoooop on Wednesday, November 07, 2012 9:07 AM>

Ducky
  • Total Posts : 2371
Re:Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 9:09 AM
Well, why else do you think TLG bought a Wii?

Eyeco
Re:Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 9:14 AM
Nutsack

Eyeco

moegooner88

@Wishingw3l

You actually did forgot some, for example the great Motorstorm 2 Pacific Rift. Motorstorm 3 ofcourse, although not as good as MS2.

The stuff you really missed are the great PSN releases. They might not be on retail disc, but some of those games are true crackers. The original Joe Danger, for a long time only on PSN, the recent Sound Shapes in 2012 and more.

There is more than just exclusives too eh. But well. One thing is for sure, this years PS3 retail exclusives are indeed pretty meh. LBP Karting should never had been, Modnation Racers is the better game.

Agreed with 2008 being a great year for PS3, I got my 80GB PS3 Fat 65nm LBP pack in November of that year and got Motorstorm 2 for free with it for 400 Euro. Sweet spot to get it, still when I look back at it at this point in time! Coming year looks good, with new God of War and The Last of Us and PS+ kicking into higher gear for both PS3 and PSVita. And then we will be spoiled with new PSOrbis and Xbox 8 details at E3 2013!

The fact that i'm missing games from my list's only further backs  my point on how much better , the previous years were, off the top of my head i came up with that list, and I knew i missed a whole lot more. This year has been beyond bland i've noticed allot of posters blaming it on the upcoming PS4, but remember the PS2? up and till 2007 after the PS3's release  every year was solid for that console I  can't think of one lousy year for the ps2 prior the release of the PS3.

With the exception of Journey a 3 hour PSN game everything this year has been forgettable, I agree next year is looking impressive especially when you compare it to the Wii's last few years, Nintendo has pretty much dropped support for the damn console, but still its been pretty disappointing.

NeverEnding1989
Re:Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 9:15 AM
Whoooop

This, TLG's purchase, the increase time spent by some members on the forums instead of their PS3, all give good indications of what 2012 has been like. I'm glad other people are noticing.

Welcome to next gen:

TooTall19
  • Total Posts : 690
Re:Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 9:16 AM
Sony's worst is still better than MS's best.

Nutsack
Re:Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 9:21 AM
TooTall19

If you're that ignorant, to think that LBP Karting beats MS's Forza Horizon and Starhawk beats Halo 4, then you need to get your head checked. By a jumbojet

Kon
  • Total Posts : 11111
Re:Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 9:21 AM
TooTall19

What a hilarious chap you are.

Also don't you have to play that sh LBP Karting or Wonderbook?
<message edited by Kon on Wednesday, November 07, 2012 9:23 AM>
Stop Cyberbullying!

13/05/2014 - The day innovation died.

Convas
  • Total Posts : 2484
Re:Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 9:25 AM
Whoooop

Actually....  It seems like 2013 is going to be a healthy year in gaming. Aside from Sony alone which will be releasing 3 big games (TLoU, Ascension and Beyond) you also have GTA5, Bioshock Infinite, Dead Space 3, Metal Gear Rising, Gears of War: Judgement, Watch Dogs... among many others.

Every game you listed I plan on buying (except Beyond), and more, but YOU'RE looking forward to Space Gears of Dead Wars 3? 

GASP
<message edited by Convas on Wednesday, November 07, 2012 9:26 AM>
(Steam: Ricky Ricardo)(Origin: Convas)(PSN/XBL: Convas)

Kon
Re:Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 9:30 AM
GTA 5 alone will make next year better than this one.
Stop Cyberbullying!

moegooner88
Re:Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 9:34 AM
Kon

Does 2013 have another epic Mass Effect title, didn't think so, 2012>2013

Whoooop
  • Total Posts : 5653
Re:Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 9:37 AM
Convas

Whoooop

Every game you listed I plan on buying (except Beyond), and more, but YOU'RE looking forward to Space Gears of Dead Wars 3? 

GASP

Not necessarily.  I'm just informing those who seem a bit confused about how much gaming there's left in 2013.   ;)

Tewi-Inaba
  • Total Posts : 2216
Re:Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 10:55 AM
moegooner88

Kon

Does 2013 have another epic Mass Effect title, didn't think so, 2012<2013

I fixed that for you

Friend Code:1650-0941-8045

Kon
Re:Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 10:57 AM
moegooner88

Kon

Totally true, i don't think GTA V will be better than ME3.
Stop Cyberbullying!

TooTall19
Re:Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 11:21 AM
Forza Horizon? LOL no comment necessary. Yes I would rather play Starhawk instead of Halo 4. I would also rather play Dust 514 and PS All Stars instead of Halo 4. I have no interest in LBP Karting cause I don't like LBP.

Kon
Re:Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 11:24 AM
That rebuttal was absolute awful. "no comment necessary" lmao. Keep it up.
Stop Cyberbullying!

TooTall19
Re:Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 12:08 PM
Okay Kon as long as you enjoy your 2 mediocre exclusives that's all that matters.

wishingW3L
  • Total Posts : 1091
Re:Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 1:24 PM
Kon

moegooner88

Kon

I can't never tell if this guy is trolling or not....  

redDevil87
  • Total Posts : 8354
Re:Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 2:42 PM
Maddens, too bad you missed this thread.

thread of the year. http://forums.n4g.com/HALO-4-Reviewed-by-IGN-98-m1096214-p11.aspx

NeverEnding1989
Re:Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 4:19 PM
redDevil87

Maddens, too bad you missed this thread.

thread of the year. http://forums.n4g.com/HALO-4-Reviewed-by-IGN-98-m1096214-p11.aspx

I also missed it, which sucks because (I think?) I was in the middle of it. But I told you guys I had to bounce to go pick up Halo 4! Care to fill us in? And what happened in this thread before deletion?

Welcome to next gen:

Twosouls
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 4:26 PM
no its been a good year....

twisted metal, lbp kart AND PASBR!!!!!

compared to MORE halo and MORE Borza

ZombieNinjaPanda
  • Total Posts : 11431
Re:Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 4:42 PM
Twosouls

no its been a good year....

twisted metal, lbp kart AND PASBR!!!!!

compared to MORE halo and MORE Borza

So a terrible Kart Ripoff and a terrible Fighter Rip off? 

Compared to Halo 4 and a yearly racing rehash? 

moegooner88
Re:Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 4:44 PM
Why does everyone keep forgetting about the new Ratchet, and Clank

Eiffel
  • Total Posts : 11965
Re:Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 4:45 PM
moegooner88

Because Ratchet and Clank has been pretty forgettable outside the PS2 era.

Sorry, someone had to say it. 

moegooner88
Re:Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 4:49 PM
Eiffel

moegooner88

Because Ratchet and Clank has been pretty forgettable outside the PS2 era.

Sorry, someone had to say it.  

They never sold well during PS2 era to begin with, so I don't think their current gen sales are bad, my point is, it still counts as a game, since it will be receive a retail relase

theunleashed64
  • Total Posts : 282
Re:Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 5:01 PM
the ps3 was eventually going to get a weak year. most consoles suffer a dry spell every once in a while. but i think of it this way the 360 only got 2 big retail exclusives this year while the ps3 get's 3 big retail exclusives next year. add games like puppeteer, rain, and it seems the ps3 rebounds from it's weakest offerings this year.
and they say the gods of hell can't fall...yeah right

Kon
Re:Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 5:08 PM
wishingW3L

Kon

moegooner88

Kon

I'm most definitely not trolling.
Stop Cyberbullying!

theunleashed64
  • Total Posts : 282
Re:Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 5:13 PM
Kon

wishingW3L

Kon

moegooner88

Kon

I'm most definitely not trolling.

then you must be nuts to believe that then lol.
and they say the gods of hell can't fall...yeah right

TheLastGuardian
  • Total Posts : 3666
Re:Has 2012 been the PS3's most dissapointing/ weakest year ? - Wednesday, November 07, 2012 8:00 PM

It has been a bit slow this year for PS3 exclusive releases. I only bought like six 2012 PS3 exclusives and plan on getting at least five more. It was looking a lot better at the end of last year, but a few big games got pushed to 2013. You can't expect to get all the PlayStation goodness developers have to offer with just a PS3. It was an excellent year for PlayStation game releases if you had a PS3 and PS Vita. You can't expect a high quality PS3 exclusive to be released every month (that kinda happened in 2011 though). I bought eight retail PS3 exclusives this year that released in previous years. If I'm still finding great PS3 exclusives left I haven't played yet, I'm sure you can too.

FatOldMan

Well, why else do you think TLG bought a Wii?

The same reason I bought a PS Vita and about 75 games in the last five months for the PS1, PS2, PSP, PS3, PSV, PSN, GC and Wii. I wanted it, so I bought it. I got this job five months ago and I'm going a little crazy spending too much money on gaming. I've mostly been buying old games I missed or new PS3 & Vita games on sale. The only game I payed $60 for this year was Twisted Metal. Check me out in the "Next Game You Are Buying" thread. I've posted the most games there by far.

I didn't buy a Wii because of any shortage of PS3 exclusives. That's nonsense. I have more games on my three Sony consoles and two Sony handhelds than I know what to do with.

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 40 of 64 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version