I just don't understand...A Vita Rant

ChiTownDoc
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
I just don't understand...A Vita Rant - Thursday, November 15, 2012 3:52 PM
I think most Vita owners will agree: I just don't understand why it isn't more successful (Or Maybe I do...)

The vita is a phenomenal piece of gaming equipment--I absolutely love it. From a hardware perspective, its clearly head and shoulders above the competition. Beautiful screen, DUAL ANALOG STICKS, the seamless integration with the PSN network, and ease of use for other forms of media, its a great device to carry around.

And though initially sluggish, the games have really taken off lately. Little Big Planet is absolutely wonderful; I can't even recall how many hours i've poured into it. Uncharted was great. Madden was really cool...though of course limited by its lack of integration with the PS3 version. Cross-play is very cool. The PSN network games (Super Stardust, Mutant Blobs, etc.) are great but of course not system seller.And yes, Call of Duty is a ton of fun.

Speaking of CoD, having just logged HOURS into the multiplayer component, I don't know where the hate is coming from. It is a BLAST to play, and if you enjoy CoD multiplayer on the consoles you'll enjoy it on the Vita, too. Period. Yea, the single player blows. But everyone buys CoD for multiplayer and we all know that. Let's not pretend the console versions have had stellar campaigns (Still better than Vita, yes, but don't get carried away). 

Sony just doesn't seem to know what they're doing anymore with advertising/pushing their system. The price point STILL remains way too high. How did they not learn from Nintendo's troubles just one year earlier? The vita is great, and I dont regret my purchase for one second. But when it practically costs as much as a new PS3/360/way more than a Wii....how do they expect to be successful?

I've been primarily a Sony gamer since 1997 when I got my original Playstation (PSX, PS2, PS3, PSP, Vita...and I've also owned a Wii and 3ds) and I've been loyal ever since. But something's changed and Sony has forgotten how to be the frontrunner. 

It saddens me because it's easy to see that the Vita might just fade into oblivion. Sony has never thrived on the "killer app" mentality; usually its the SIZE and QUALITY of their game roster that pushes their system. But Vita has great games...just noboby is playing them.

Sony needs to get its collective head on straight.

Nutsack
  • Total Posts : 248
Re:I just don't understand...A Vita Rant - Thursday, November 15, 2012 4:06 PM
ChiTownDoc

I think most Vita owners will agree: I just don't understand why it isn't more successful (Or Maybe I do...)

The vita is a phenomenal piece of gaming equipment--I absolutely love it. From a hardware perspective, its clearly head and shoulders above the competition. Beautiful screen, DUAL ANALOG STICKS, the seamless integration with the PSN network, and ease of use for other forms of media, its a great device to carry around.

And though initially sluggish, the games have really taken off lately. Little Big Planet is absolutely wonderful; I can't even recall how many hours i've poured into it. Uncharted was great. Madden was really cool...though of course limited by its lack of integration with the PS3 version. Cross-play is very cool. The PSN network games (Super Stardust, Mutant Blobs, etc.) are great but of course not system seller.And yes, Call of Duty is a ton of fun.

Speaking of CoD, having just logged HOURS into the multiplayer component, I don't know where the hate is coming from. It is a BLAST to play, and if you enjoy CoD multiplayer on the consoles you'll enjoy it on the Vita, too. Period. Yea, the single player blows. But everyone buys CoD for multiplayer and we all know that. Let's not pretend the console versions have had stellar campaigns (Still better than Vita, yes, but don't get carried away). 

Sony just doesn't seem to know what they're doing anymore with advertising/pushing their system. The price point STILL remains way too high. How did they not learn from Nintendo's troubles just one year earlier? The vita is great, and I dont regret my purchase for one second. But when it practically costs as much as a new PS3/360/way more than a Wii....how do they expect to be successful?

I've been primarily a Sony gamer since 1997 when I got my original Playstation (PSX, PS2, PS3, PSP, Vita...and I've also owned a Wii and 3ds) and I've been loyal ever since. But something's changed and Sony has forgotten how to be the frontrunner. 

It saddens me because it's easy to see that the Vita might just fade into oblivion. Sony has never thrived on the "killer app" mentality; usually its the SIZE and QUALITY of their game roster that pushes their system. But Vita has great games...just noboby is playing them.

Killer app? 3DS has nothing else but the same old same old Mario and Zelda. Rather boring to me.

About the pricedrop, Sony is testing waters of it in small markets like my country check the picture

TheRot
  • Total Posts : 3443
Re:I just don't understand...A Vita Rant - Thursday, November 15, 2012 4:09 PM
meh i don't buy one because of their expensive memory cards

ChiTownDoc
Re:I just don't understand...A Vita Rant - Thursday, November 15, 2012 4:10 PM
"Killer app" or not...Mario and Zelda sell systems.

Nutsack
Re:I just don't understand...A Vita Rant - Thursday, November 15, 2012 4:19 PM
ChiTownDoc

Sure they do.

But on the PS3, Sony has the same 'problem'. Their best selling game is GT5, a GT should come to PSVita.

Then a whole lot of nothing and then Uncharted. Yet, the PS3 sells fine, although it doesn't have a selling game up to the Mario's and Halo's.

So... When Sony manages to get a good GT out for PSVita, a good God of War, get some more unique content and make the PSN/Online part better and better, PSVita could be fine as PS3 in the end will do fine.

ChiTownDoc
Re:I just don't understand...A Vita Rant - Thursday, November 15, 2012 4:20 PM
i hope so man. its a good system.

wishingW3L
  • Total Posts : 1091
Re:I just don't understand...A Vita Rant - Thursday, November 15, 2012 5:49 PM
I don't care about handhelds. The last one I bought was the Gameboy Color for Pokemon Yellow when Pokemon was the be all and end all but to me the Vita looks really awesome. If I had time for it and the money I would buy one right away.

The problem Vita has is more of a brand issue and high-price than anything else. The device already has tons of games but most people are still saying that it has no games... Vita is royally fkd with no way to make a comeback.
<message edited by wishingW3L on Thursday, November 15, 2012 5:51 PM>

flip-it3
  • Total Posts : 6628
Re:I just don't understand...A Vita Rant - Thursday, November 15, 2012 5:52 PM
The thing they could have easily done was have a dual boot or just base it off Android. You could have all the functionality of a tablet with it as well as a gaming handheld. 

wishingW3L
  • Total Posts : 1091
Re:I just don't understand...A Vita Rant - Thursday, November 15, 2012 5:54 PM
ChiTownDoc

Mario? Yes. But Zelda? Skyward Sword sold only 3 millions with a user base of almost 100 millions.  

Zelda has never been a system seller and the same with Metroid. What sells Nintendo systems is Mario, Mario Kart, etc. and Pokemon.
<message edited by wishingW3L on Thursday, November 15, 2012 5:59 PM>

moegooner88
  • Total Posts : 2042
Re:I just don't understand...A Vita Rant - Thursday, November 15, 2012 5:58 PM
wishingW3L

ChiTownDoc

Mario? Yes. But Zelda? Skyward Sword sold only 3 millions.  

Zelda has never been a system seller and the same with Metroid. What sells systems is Mario, Mario Kart, etc. and Pokemon.

Well, to be fair LOZelda franchise sold around 50 million copies, personally, If I ever get a Wii U, LOZelda would be the reason.

Nutsack
Re:I just don't understand...A Vita Rant - Thursday, November 15, 2012 6:03 PM
wishingW3L

I don't care about handhelds. The last one I bought was the Gameboy Color for Pokemon Yellow when Pokemon was the be all and end all but to me the Vita looks really awesome. If I had time for it and the money I would buy one right away.

The problem Vita has is more of a brand issue and high-price than anything else. The device already has tons of games but most people are still saying that it has no games... Vita is royally fkd with no way to make a comeback.

Disagree on the high price, I think most people won't buy a handheld over 200 bucks. Although for its tech the 250 might be a good price, it is just strange to see a PS3 selling for the same price, sometimes even less. And then we haven't talked about forking out for a memory card too.

The 3DS was selling bad at 250 too, dropped to 170 and sold like hot cakes even without a lot of games.

Black Friday already has a 199 USD deal on the PSVita, I hope Sony tries to keep deals around or even under that price during the holidays. No way to make a comeback? A comeback to what? It still has a good chance of picking up on sales, being a viable platform for 3rd party and get more games in.

GreatTeacherOnizuka
  • Total Posts : 120
Re:I just don't understand...A Vita Rant - Friday, November 16, 2012 3:26 PM
to answer your question.

Just look at the history.

why did the psp fail?.... then compare it to the ps vita.
PLEASE DO SOME RESEARCH.

It is not that hard to figure out.

Why would someone buy a PS vita when there is no game that really shows its features?
who I really feel sorry for are the people who bought the system early, paid big bucks for it, and now trying to convince the world about the great specs and features........ bottom line, suck it up.... no one wants to hear your justification of your purchase, they want to see REAL PS VITA GAMES... which sadly are zero. NOT AN OPINION, none of those games really show the value of a PS VITA

EDIT: I do look forward to seeing more of the games PS VITA may come out with, so i'm just as frustrated as you are OP. just saying, the VITA still has to prove something..... if not... lower the price even more if so desperate. heck i might buy one
<message edited by GreatTeacherOnizuka on Friday, November 16, 2012 3:32 PM>

Tewi-Inaba
  • Total Posts : 2216
Re:I just don't understand...A Vita Rant - Friday, November 16, 2012 5:03 PM
GreatTeacherOnizuka

to answer your question.

PLEASE DO SOME RESEARCH.

Why would someone buy a PS vita when there is no game that really shows its features?
who I really feel sorry for are the people who bought the system early, paid big bucks for it, and now trying to convince the world about the great specs and features........ bottom line, suck it up.... no one wants to hear your justification of your purchase, they want to see REAL PS VITA GAMES... which sadly are zero. NOT AN OPINION, none of those games really show the value of a PS VITA

EDIT: I do look forward to seeing more of the games PS VITA may come out with, so i'm just as frustrated as you are OP. just saying, the VITA still has to prove something..... if not... lower the price even more if so desperate. heck i might buy one

Gravity Rush and P4:The Golden are Great games, vita does have some good value games.

Friend Code:1650-0941-8045

Nutsack
Re:I just don't understand...A Vita Rant - Friday, November 16, 2012 5:42 PM
GreatTeacherOnizuka

to answer your question.

PLEASE DO SOME RESEARCH.

Why the PSP failed? It launched with a firmware that was wide open to get hacked and get a CFW...

What 3rd party games do really show the 3DS and its features? It is just the same old Mario on the system pretty much. Real PSVita games? More so than real 3DS games. What are you playing bro, Nintendogs?

GreatTeacherOnizuka
Re:I just don't understand...A Vita Rant - Friday, November 16, 2012 6:25 PM
Nutsack

GreatTeacherOnizuka

to answer your question.

PLEASE DO SOME RESEARCH.

Why the PSP failed? It launched with a firmware that was wide open to get hacked and get a CFW...

What 3rd party games do really show the 3DS and its features? It is just the same old Mario on the system pretty much. Real PSVita games? More so than real 3DS games. What are you playing bro, Nintendogs?

you got me bro. nintendogs, lol
and now that you have been butt hurt and decided to whine about the success of the 3ds........ THE PS VITA WILL NOW SELL LIKE HOT CAKES!

Tewi-Inaba
Re:I just don't understand...A Vita Rant - Friday, November 16, 2012 6:33 PM
GreatTeacherOnizuka

Nutsack

GreatTeacherOnizuka

to answer your question.

PLEASE DO SOME RESEARCH.

you got me bro. nintendogs, lol
and now that you have been butt hurt and decided to whine about the success of the 3ds........ THE PS VITA WILL NOW SELL LIKE HOT CAKES!

GreatTeacherOnizuka
Re:I just don't understand...A Vita Rant - Friday, November 16, 2012 6:43 PM
lol,
i smashed his CRESTA!!!!

but being honest, the PS Vita is doing something wrong... thats why this RANT exsists
but blaming the 3DS wont change anything.

http://n4g.com/news/11215...ars-ps3-lifetime-sales

TheColbertinator
  • Total Posts : 7301
Re:I just don't understand...A Vita Rant - Friday, November 16, 2012 6:57 PM
Tatsumaki

Gravity Rush and P4:The Golden are Great games, vita does have some good value games.

Tatsumaki reaching out to the truth

Tewi-Inaba
Re:I just don't understand...A Vita Rant - Friday, November 16, 2012 7:03 PM
TheColbertinator

Tatsumaki

Tatsumaki reaching out to the truth
Big fan of Shin Megami Tensei games in general; as you can probably tell with my avatar, but one remake with added content won't be enough for me to buy a Vita, Now if Fate/Stay Night :RN is announced to be localized in the states then maybe, but again I've already played the original so It still wouldn't really justify a purchase for myself

also @GTO the more surprising part is how terribly the assassins creed game performed and moved units, or not move units rather...
I thought that would give the vita a pretty big momentum seeing as AC is so popular these days.
<message edited by Tatsumaki on Friday, November 16, 2012 7:08 PM>

GreatTeacherOnizuka
Re:I just don't understand...A Vita Rant - Friday, November 16, 2012 9:08 PM
P4 does look really good. 

I really was looking forward to the COD online. dont give a sh1t about the campaign.
i may find a great deal on ps vita and pick up P4 at the same time.

Tewi-Inaba
Re:I just don't understand...A Vita Rant - Sunday, November 18, 2012 2:55 AM
It still puzzles me how people can downplay 'sales' in this business.....
I mean it's fairly simple to understand... a simple theory. 
More console sales mean a bigger userbase.
A bigger userbase is more people for publishers to sell to. 
More people to for publishers to sell to means bigger profit. 
Bigger profit means more games made, and bigger budgets to those games.

Don't believe me?
Look at CoD:Black OPs Declassified...
you got to be realistic here..... The vita is in trouble and it's not something that will be fixed easily.

AnotherWorld
Re:I just don't understand...A Vita Rant - Sunday, November 18, 2012 4:44 AM
Tatsumaki

It still puzzles me how people can downplay 'sales' in this business.....
I mean it's fairly simple to understand... a simple theory. 
More console sales mean a bigger userbase.
A bigger userbase is more people for publishers to sell to. 
More people to for publishers to sell to means bigger profit. 
Bigger profit means more games made, and bigger budgets to those games.

Don't believe me?
Look at CoD:Black OPs Declassified...
you got to be realistic here..... The vita is in trouble and it's not something that will be fixed easily.

Sales indeed, well a critical mass needs to be there. At least around 10 mln needs to be there to get some interest from 3rd party.

Then again, every system starts at zero units installed. The WiiU is no other story.

Neither was the 3DS. And that one didn't do well until its pricedrop. PS3 was selling slow too at the initial 600 pricetag. Look at it now. So saying it is 'in trouble' just little over a half year world wide release isn't right IMO. As long as the producer keeps supporting the device, no device is in trouble.

What is true, is that it is in the best interest of each one that bought a unit that the device sells on the fastest rate possible and reach that 10 or 20 mln ASAP. 

It just brings in more games which is what a user want. What is said too though, the PSVita got a nice amount of games, good games even. Where the 3DS has the obvious Mario and Zelda, it doesn't have many titles that are new fresh like Gravity Rush, Sound Shapes or the upcoming Tear Away from Media Molecule. Too many people are downplaying the pretty good line up that is there for no real reason. Mostly those are people that don't own a PSVita and got no clue what they're talking about, or just love to hate because they're Nintendo fanboys.

Finally, the PS+ instant game collection that just launched for PSVita + 2 new games every month in the cycle is pushing units a lot, many current PS3/PS+ owners are jumping in. Curious what the salesnumbers are for the month November with Black Friday upcoming too, saw some 199 USD deals for PSVita and a game in USA. Europe already has deals with lower prices too.

thebudgetgamer
  • Total Posts : 6958
Re:I just don't understand...A Vita Rant - Sunday, November 18, 2012 9:55 AM
Neither do parents.

jotaro90
  • Total Posts : 11
Re:I just don't understand...A Vita Rant - Saturday, November 24, 2012 4:05 AM
Nutsack

ChiTownDoc

Killer app? 3DS has nothing else but the same old same old Mario and Zelda. Rather boring to me.

About the pricedrop, Sony is testing waters of it in small markets like my country check the picture

Where is the call of duty bundle?