Will you still play your ps3 after you purchase the ps4?

Garrison
  • Total Posts : 14
  • Reward points : 0
Will you still play your ps3 after you purchase the ps4? - Sunday, December 09, 2012 6:47 AM
I think I most definitely will, currently have a ps+ sub and so many awesome games I don't have the time to play half em much less get to some of the newer offerings. Besides, I ain't no trophy enthusiast but I like getting those things. I could see people easily getting cheap ps3 games around to level up their trophy scores if sony sticks to the playstation network. (and I don't see any reason it shouldn't) What do you guys think?

FAT MAN GO BOOM
  • Total Posts : 15362
Re:Will you still play your ps3 after you purchase the ps4? - Sunday, December 09, 2012 6:56 AM
Yes I do,

I once PS4 is out after  6 months or so... games drop a whole lot quicker and I will be able to pick up those games that I was not able to afford at a much better price and be able to play them....

I am looking at setting up a gaming corner, room what not as well so I will be saving my systems and their games.... 

2 tvs with the systems linked... so  co-op and mp games can be played online and together...

[ali

Eiffel
  • Total Posts : 11828
Re:Will you still play your ps3 after you purchase the ps4? - Sunday, December 09, 2012 7:01 AM
Nope. After this gen I'm done with outdated hardware, it's the ever lasting dust age, donation or selling for that thing. 

TheNocturnus
  • Total Posts : 4403
Re:Will you still play your ps3 after you purchase the ps4? - Sunday, December 09, 2012 7:27 AM
I will substitute "360" for PS3 and "720" for PS4 to work for my household.

No, I will not play last gen garbage when I have a new shiny toy to play with. I may play some old 360 games on my 720 if it has BC.

My PSN ID is: xNocturnus    XBL Tag is: xX Nocturnus Xx

B Man
  • Total Posts : 8468
Re:Will you still play your ps3 after you purchase the ps4? - Sunday, December 09, 2012 8:07 AM
If it's backwards compatible, then no.  If not though, yes I'll keep it around to play every now and then.  Same goes for every other console.

Garrison
  • Total Posts : 14
Re:Will you still play your ps3 after you purchase the ps4? - Sunday, December 09, 2012 8:59 AM
We would be very lucky if all next gen systems have the ability to play current gen console games. I know some people usually stop playing console games from last gen when the new gen games come around but I seriously doubt that next gen games are going to be "mindblowing" compared to current gen. I think some people are in for a little bit of disappointment.

thebudgetgamer
  • Total Posts : 6958
Re:Will you still play your ps3 after you purchase the ps4? - Sunday, December 09, 2012 9:50 AM
I was playing Mike Tyson's Punch out yesterday, so yes.

wishingW3L
  • Total Posts : 1091
Re:Will you still play your ps3 after you purchase the ps4? - Sunday, December 09, 2012 9:51 AM
I always play old PS consoles, I don't limit myself to just the garbage we get on current gen.  If I don't like any new release on current consoles then I go back to my old backlog from PS1 and PS2. And when the PS4 comes out if there is some PS3 game I still haven't played and I'm really interested in it then I will play it. 

I'm not the type of gamer that likes everything or that tries to play anything just to inflate his gamescore/trophies. If I see a trailer and some gameplay videos and the game still hasn't sparked my interest then I will not play it even if it gets 10/10's across the board. I have already tried it many times with games like the GTA series and Elder Scrolls series where I forced myself to play them just because of the high-scores and guess what? Those were the most boring hours of my life and a total waste of my time. So instead of playing games I don't enjoy I just go back to play old stuff like Fear Effect or Dragon Quest VIII that I still haven't played or that I want to play again. 

And you know I have like 200 games between the PS1 and PS2 and I haven't even touched half of them! I always buy a bunch of games right before a next-gen starts because they all become so cheap! I remember buying Persona 2 for like 7 bucks at EB games (new!) around 2002 before P3 & P4 came out and made the series popular and now P2 costs like $200 but I sold it to a friend for $20 around 2004. And this is why I don't sell my games anymore....

I do care about BC a lot and hate when people say stuff like: "if you want to play PS2 then buy a PS2!". Have any of you used one of those awfully built PS2 slims? I have went through 2 of them and now the 3rd one, which is only 1 year old, is already having issues with the disc drive. No matter what game I play it freezes at random and that's without mentioning all the compatibility issues it has with PS1, old PS2 games and 3rd party peripherals. It seems these newer PS2 were made to play Singstar only or something... Man, I miss my old 60GB PS3 so much because it played everything flawlessly... I hope the PS4 comes with PS1 and PS2 BC since it will be powerful enough to emulate them both and there are rumors that there will be some dongle with the Cell and that will be sold for $80 to enable PS3 BC on the PS4. Now that'd be awesome! All the PS consoles in just 1 place!  
<message edited by wishingW3L on Sunday, December 09, 2012 10:02 AM>

UnSelf
  • Total Posts : 2569
Re:Will you still play your ps3 after you purchase the ps4? - Sunday, December 09, 2012 9:58 AM
Lets see the first ps3 I purchased was NG sigma and that was an entire year after the ps3 came out so yea ima be playing my ps3 prolly double that. 1st year games for a new console are never rly all dat exciting anyway.

Oh and Skv if ur in here I saw ur reply and yea we in there for the Xmas break

TheColbertinator
  • Total Posts : 7301
Re:Will you still play your ps3 after you purchase the ps4? - Sunday, December 09, 2012 11:20 AM
Depends if we get B/C

I might not even get a PS4.

ZombieNinjaPanda
  • Total Posts : 11431
Re:Will you still play your ps3 after you purchase the ps4? - Sunday, December 09, 2012 11:28 AM
Considering I'm not buying a Playstation 4 and I still play my gamecube, dreamcast, playstation 2 and Nintendo 64, yes I will. Old games > many new games. Nothing still compares to some of them.

FAT MAN GO BOOM
  • Total Posts : 15362
Re:Will you still play your ps3 after you purchase the ps4? - Sunday, December 09, 2012 11:33 AM
thebudgetgamer

I was playing Mike Tyson's Punch out yesterday, so yes.

such an  awesome game... cheers... 
[ali

monkey nuts
  • Total Posts : 34
Re:Will you still play your ps3 after you purchase the ps4? - Sunday, December 09, 2012 12:14 PM
Probably, though unlike this gen I won't be getting the new consoles at launch. Got burned by the rrod and the ylod so I'll wait it out to see if they got reliability locked down. Its about quality games at the end of the day though and what with there being many memorable games I'll hold on to my 360 and ps3 so 10 years from now if I get the sudden urge to play mgs4 or pgr4 then I should be able to fire them up. Still play my snes from time to time when I have the time :)
">

Newtype
  • Total Posts : 2070
Re:Will you still play your ps3 after you purchase the ps4? - Sunday, December 09, 2012 1:06 PM
It will be used as a bluray player still, so yes.  I will probably get the PS4 at launch, or 2 weeks later.

TheLastGuardian
  • Total Posts : 3666
Re:Will you still play your ps3 after you purchase the ps4? - Sunday, December 09, 2012 4:50 PM
Of course. I'll buy another PS3 long after getting a PS4 when my PS3 slim eventually breaks down. I got my first PlS1 over 15 years ago and I'm buying more games for it now than ever. There's so many awesome games in this world, I can't just stick to current gen.

-MD-
  • Total Posts : 8196
Re:Will you still play your ps3 after you purchase the ps4? - Sunday, December 09, 2012 6:17 PM
Nocturnus32

No, I will not play last gen garbage when I have a new shiny toy to play with

NES, SNES, Genesis, PS1, N64, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox

All garbage.  Xbox 360? 7 year old next gen masterpiece. At least until the next Xbox comes out, then it'll be lumped in with that ancient trash I previously listed.

Edit: Did you sell all your current consoles and PC when you picked up your Wiiu? I'm not familiar with how this works.  

<message edited by -MD- on Sunday, December 09, 2012 6:21 PM>

Nutsack
  • Total Posts : 248
Re:Will you still play your ps3 after you purchase the ps4? - Sunday, December 09, 2012 6:37 PM
I don't see why one wouldn't play the PS3 anymore, for sure if new content for it will keep coming.

I mean, don't know about the others above me, but I truly enjoyed playing games like Sound Shapes, Journey, Limbo, Braid etc.

Those games don't need new hardware, they don't use the horsepower that a new big AAA game takes. If people can enjoy those games now,  I don't see why one can't enjoy them even when next gen is out. It is not all about the big AAA games. On the other hand, if most of the games are playable on next gen too (for example all stuff bought on PSN/XBL moves with one to next gen still playable I'll play it on that console. And lets be fair, the first year there isn't a lot on a new console that really stands out. The launch games are often alright, not great great. Like the 360 got a real game changing big hit a year after release of the 360, with Gears of War at the end of 2006. I played the XBOX 1 for a long time into this gen, with games like Burnout 3 and SSX On Tour, PGR2, Half Life 2, Doom 3 and Fable... Experiences that the 360 didn't offer me instantly, although ofcourse the list of XBOX 1 games that ran on the 360 on its emulator grew over time. PS3 launched with a giant enemy crab, it took some time too before I bought it. Actually it took till MGS4, Motorstorm 2 and LBP released before I found it interesting enough to buy it. Yet I kept playing games like God of War 2 on the PS2.

So, that. it all depends what next gen brings and how fast a good library of games will be available, if its backwards compatible etc etc

Wintersun616
  • Total Posts : 91
Re:Will you still play your ps3 after you purchase the ps4? - Monday, December 10, 2012 2:22 PM
Most probably yes. I still play the PS1 FF games on my SGS2 and am eagerly waiting for the FFX remake. If I don't hear anything new from it by E3 2013, I'll buy a PS2 again and play some PS2 games not available on PSN again (FFX & XII at least). I believe the same trend will continue with games like U1-3, MGS4, Darksider 1 & 2, LA Noire, DX:HR and some others.

kingme71
  • Total Posts : 30
Re:Will you still play your ps3 after you purchase the ps4? - Wednesday, December 12, 2012 9:10 AM
  Yup, I have a backlog of games on Gamefly to play. I like to play a ton of different games even if I just play a little bit to get a taste of a game. Much easier that way using Gamefly when I can return it the same day if it is a stinker. I don't think I will get through my queue before next gen shows up and I don't plan on buying next gen right away anyway.

bbrriiaann6
  • Total Posts : 13
Re:Will you still play your ps3 after you purchase the ps4? - Thursday, December 13, 2012 3:21 AM
Yeah because i have play so many games on Ps3 and can't forget Battlefield 3 my favorite of all want to play again and again. Recently got focused on a new entertaining source to Play Online Games named chilgames having large collection of games like Fighting Games, Action Games, Adventure Games and so on.

mortaljohnbat
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:Will you still play your ps3 after you purchase the ps4? - Thursday, December 13, 2012 9:47 AM
I'm quite sure we will still play on it..wont you be able to play ps3 games n the ps4 anyway ?

TheNocturnus
  • Total Posts : 4403
Re:Will you still play your ps3 after you purchase the ps4? - Thursday, December 13, 2012 11:56 AM
-MD-

Nocturnus32

No, I will not play last gen garbage when I have a new shiny toy to play with

NES, SNES, Genesis, PS1, N64, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox

All garbage.  Xbox 360? 7 year old next gen masterpiece. At least until the next Xbox comes out, then it'll be lumped in with that ancient trash I previously listed.

Edit: Did you sell all your current consoles and PC when you picked up your Wiiu? I'm not familiar with how this works.  

Lol. No they are not really garbage MD. I tend to not play older games after a new system comes out. I may play one every once in a while for nostalgia's sake though. I still have my copies of GTA III, VC and SA from the Original Xbox. I also have Nesticle, Super Nesticle and Dega on my PC to play some older gems.

My PSN ID is: xNocturnus    XBL Tag is: xX Nocturnus Xx

Nutsack
  • Total Posts : 248
Re:Will you still play your ps3 after you purchase the ps4? - Thursday, December 13, 2012 5:03 PM
mortaljohnbat

I'm quite sure we will still play on it..wont you be able to play ps3 games n the ps4 anyway ?

If they rumors are true that Sony switched from Cell in PS3 to some AMD chip in PSOrbis... Don't think it'll have BC for PS3 out of the box. Including the hardware for PS3 games to run native in the PSOrbis like how they put PS2 hardware for BC in the launch PS3's is too expensive. they won't do that either.

The last chance then is emulating the PS3 totally through software, which needs a lot of power from next gen hardware and a lot of work too. The PS3 would have been capable to do full software BC for PS2 with a lot of work making a good working emulator by Sony. They skipped that. PS3 was a large jump from PS2. PSOrbis/PS4 is supposed to be a smaller step up from PS3 than that. That probably means not enough power there to even emulate the PS3 by software even if Sony would like to do it.

There is one rumor that there will be some sort of plugin module/stick with additional (PS3 hardware) on board to be bought separately with the PSOrbis that enables PS3 backwards compatibility. Don't know about that. Addons to consoles never really were successful, but hey, who knows.

Elvis
  • Total Posts : 1031
Re:Will you still play your ps3 after you purchase the ps4? - Friday, December 14, 2012 6:06 AM
Yep, of course. I also hope the PS4 will have BC even though it's highly unlikely. But even if the PS4 doesn't have BC I'll still play them on my ps3, I won't be selling it anyway.