• Total Posts : 381
  • Reward points : 0
WiiU Consumer Confusion - Wednesday, December 19, 2012 2:07 PM
Has anyone read this story yet?

Image of a Wii.
"portable Wii consoles" 
Wii retails for $300  
link to Wii U review

Holy ****.  And its not just ABC.  There have been multiple news broadcasts that have confused the WiiU for just a controller add-on for the Wii.  Most of my family thinks it was just a controller add-on for the wii until I showed them my console.  Anyone else have similar stories?  And what should Nintendo do to stop the confusion?

Personally they should have gone with a different name and made the console look much different then the Wii.

<message edited by UP on Wednesday, December 19, 2012 2:10 PM>

This is a manly picnic.  No glasses, no napkins, whisky only, the beverage of true men....... and pretzels.

Ducky
  • Total Posts : 2333
Re:WiiU Consumer Confusion - Wednesday, December 19, 2012 2:24 PM
Put a number at the end of it.

The stereotypical consumer in 'Murica recognizes words or letters after a product name to just mean revision of said product.
So, that's like PSP and PSP-Go, or iPhone4 and iPhone4S, or 3DS and 3DS-XL, etc.

If it's a new standalone product with significant changes over the previous product, then a number is expected, and it doesn't matter if the number makes sense or not.
So, that's like PS2 and PS3, or Xbox and Xbox360, or DS and 3DS, etc.

So it isn't surprising that people think WiiU is just an add-on or a revision of Wii rather than a new console.
Come to think of it, that might be affecting the Vita too.
<message edited by FatOldMan on Wednesday, December 19, 2012 2:25 PM>

cgoodno
  • Total Posts : 3383
Re:WiiU Consumer Confusion - Wednesday, December 19, 2012 3:14 PM
Doesn't help that their commercials show people using WiiMotes alongside what most probably think is the add-on, the tablet.  Nothing about it looks new except a girl reading lyrics off the tablet or a person browsing the Web on it.

caseh
  • Total Posts : 314
Re:WiiU Consumer Confusion - Wednesday, December 19, 2012 4:28 PM
cgoodno

Doesn't help that their commercials show people using WiiMotes alongside what most probably think is the add-on, the tablet.  Nothing about it looks new except a girl reading lyrics off the tablet or a person browsing the Web on it.

Theres a blog on this site about a guy who picked up Super Mario WiiU and Nintendoland and dropped £100 on Pro controllers only to find out you need a WiiMote to play em:

http://n4g.com/user/blogpost/nicaragua/520947

I'm not quite sure what the boggle is with Nintendo and the WiiU but its clearly confusing the f*ck out of a lot of people.

FAT MAN GO BOOM
  • Total Posts : 15336
Re:WiiU Consumer Confusion - Wednesday, December 19, 2012 4:33 PM
Yeah Nintendo did a huge mistake A HUGE mistake by calling it the Wii U it should have been like fat old man aid put a number behind it or a new name... or people will be confused...

They had this problem with the 3DS... people did not know it was the new handheld... were being mixed up... with each other...

Nintendo even said they made that mistake and sent out stickers to all the retailers that had stock and that was receiving stock to show the difference or make it stand out what not.. until they were able to change the box...

Nintendo made a huge mistake with the name wiiU...

SNES and Gamecube I liked those names the best for nintendo consoles..  I like it when they use a new name instead of what sony does.. Playstation 2 playstation 3 and so on

other than that... wish it have a kooler name...  

Wii U sounds Schizophrenic 
[ali

Kon
  • Total Posts : 10774
Re:WiiU Consumer Confusion - Wednesday, December 19, 2012 4:51 PM
If i wasn't a gamer i would have no idea what this thing was.
Stop Cyberbullying!

UP
Re:WiiU Consumer Confusion - Wednesday, December 19, 2012 4:58 PM
caseh

cgoodno

Theres a blog on this site about a guy who picked up Super Mario WiiU and Nintendoland and dropped £100 on Pro controllers only to find out you need a WiiMote to play em:

http://n4g.com/user/blogpost/nicaragua/520947

I'm not quite sure what the boggle is with Nintendo and the WiiU but its clearly confusing the f*ck out of a lot of people.

It boggles my mind that you cant use the pro controller or gamepad for multiplayer other then Boost Mode for the gamepad for NSMBU
<message edited by UP on Wednesday, December 19, 2012 5:00 PM>

This is a manly picnic.  No glasses, no napkins, whisky only, the beverage of true men....... and pretzels.

ZombieNinjaPanda
  • Total Posts : 11431
Re:WiiU Consumer Confusion - Wednesday, December 19, 2012 5:22 PM
Kon

Yep. Shouldn't have followed the trend of the competitors, should have gave it a new name.

flyingmunky
  • Total Posts : 127
Re:WiiU Consumer Confusion - Wednesday, December 19, 2012 5:46 PM
Nintendo made the mistake of making the overall graphics barely better than the wii so when people see a wiiu game they may think its a wii game. The controllers that you need to run all the different games are pretty overkill: tablet controller, wii mote, nun chuck, and classic controller. Way too much clutter. I was shocked when I went to my local walmart and saw they had a case full of wiiu's in stock. I remember the wii was sold out for the first 6 months after release in my town, any stock available selling out within a few hours.

FAT MAN GO BOOM
  • Total Posts : 15336
Re:WiiU Consumer Confusion - Wednesday, December 19, 2012 6:05 PM
Kon

Exactly looking at it really looks like an addon to the wii
[ali

redDevil87
  • Total Posts : 8354
Re:WiiU Consumer Confusion - Thursday, December 20, 2012 5:24 AM
Calling it the WiiU was probably one of the worst things nintendo could've do. Consumers needs clarity when buying a product, this just creates confusion. After the first reveal at E3 they should have changed the name.

The adverts suck in the UK at showing what the WiiU is:

If a parent hears a kid say i want a WiiU they're going to think it's an add on, not a new console.

People still aren't clear on what the Wii U is. Recently over $2millions dollars worth of Wii U consoles got stolen out of a warehouse. ABC reported it as a mass Wii theft lol.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2012/12/thieves-steal-2m-worth-of-wii-consoles/

<message edited by redDevil87 on Thursday, December 20, 2012 5:25 AM>

-MD-
  • Total Posts : 8195
Re:WiiU Consumer Confusion - Thursday, December 20, 2012 5:32 AM
redDevil87

I want a quick ****ting session too.

Seriously, he says sh!tting.

caseh
  • Total Posts : 314
Re:WiiU Consumer Confusion - Thursday, December 20, 2012 11:47 AM
Seeing the name WiiU reminds me of this scene:

I am U and U are Wii!
<message edited by caseh on Thursday, December 20, 2012 11:48 AM>

Nicaragua
  • Total Posts : 10
Re:WiiU Consumer Confusion - Sunday, December 23, 2012 5:54 AM
UP

It boggles my mind that you cant use the pro controller or gamepad for multiplayer other then Boost Mode for the gamepad for NSMBU

Thanks for posting this, I didnt realise that the gamepad became a gimmick for multiplayer rather than acting as a normal controller - looks like i need to go and buy yet another Wiimote so my kids can play together.

I was kinda excited about this console but now im feeling like Nintendo is making stupid unnessecary design decisions purely just to rinse more money out of gamers. 

UP
WiiU Controllers are Region-Locked - Tuesday, December 25, 2012 8:43 PM

http://nintendoeverything...region-locked-as-well/

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha 

ZombieNinjaPanda
  • Total Posts : 11431
Re:WiiU Controllers are Region-Locked - Tuesday, December 25, 2012 8:58 PM
Can we keep this **** to one thread? You don't need to make a new thread every time Reggie farts.

TheMART
  • Total Posts : 3356
Re:WiiU Consumer Confusion - Wednesday, December 26, 2012 3:05 PM
redDevil87

Calling it the WiiU was probably one of the worst things nintendo could've do. Consumers needs clarity when buying a product, this just creates confusion. After the first reveal at E3 they should have changed the name.

The adverts suck in the UK at showing what the WiiU is:

If a parent hears a kid say i want a WiiU they're going to think it's an add on, not a new console.

People still aren't clear on what the Wii U is. Recently over $2millions dollars worth of Wii U consoles got stolen out of a warehouse. ABC reported it as a mass Wii theft lol.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2012/12/thieves-steal-2m-worth-of-wii-consoles/

http://www.nintendolife.c...g_at_retail_in_the_uk?

Latest game sales in UK also seem to point out that WiiU isn't getting the interest Nintendo expected it to have.