Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 40 of 80 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
Satanas
  • Total Posts : 13047
  • Reward points : 0
Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Saturday, December 29, 2012 1:56 AM
Most of you who know me know that I usually play PC and PS3 games as those are the platforms I own and purchase games for. But I now also have a Wii U, and I decided to make this thread to give my impressions of this new Nintendo console and also for any other new owners to give their first impressions of the console after purchase.

So as it goes, for Christmas I decided to get myself a Wii U, for a few reasons really. Firstly, I hate the Wii because I hate motion control-based gameplay - the same can be said for my sentiment on Kinect and Move. That's really why I never got one of those. But the Wii U was basically the idea the DS popularized in console form, and I really did appreciate that. As I've not owned a Nintendo console since the N64 and Gameboy Color, I also thought it'd be a nice break to be able to play some first party Nintendo titles that I haven't played for 12 years. So anyway, for just around $400 I picked up the Deluxe Set and a copy of NSMBU

The console itself - small, sleek black. Probably similarly sized to the Wii, but it has a rounded and better looking form factor. Comes with a stand and an HDMI cable.

The controller is comfortable and not too heavy. Feels nice in the hands for the most part, though the R and L bumpers are a little bit too far spaced from the ZL and ZR triggers and switching between them quickly is certainly not optimal. Other than that, the thing feels great. The touch screen is resistive touch and that can take a bit of getting used to if you have a smartphone and have never really used a DS, but at the end of the day, it's pretty responsive for its purposes.

Loading times are exactly as you've seen and heard about online. Running the latest firmware, they still seem about as slow. Takes maybe 5-15 seconds to open an app, which is not optimal, but it's not 20+ seconds in my personal experience - whoever was reporting that is either exaggerating or extremely unlucky.

Miiverse is actually great. It's a ton of fun. The home screen shows you all the highest "Yeah"'d content around Miiverse, and all the games you play have separate channels where people share content and drawings. In the case of NSMBU and Nintendoland, all of this functionality is neatly integrated into the overworlds for those titles and it's really cool. It's nice to see Miis from various countries around your Nintendoland park with various comments and drawings about various things, and it's a cool way to meet other Wii U gamers whom you may then befriend.

The eShop is good but obviously lacking content. The most annoying thing that isn't there yet is a Wii U Virtual Console. I don't want to have to boot up into the "Wii Menu" just to purchase and play VC titles, which currently don't support gamepad-only play either. This is a missing thing that needs to come sooner than later.

The most annoying loading screen is the friends list loading screen. I don't really understand why that even requires a loading screen.

Alright well let's get into the titles I've played, which so far are as follows: NSMBU, NintendoLand, Rayman Legends (demo), Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (demo) and Mighty Switch Force Hyper Drive Edition.

Let's talk about NSMBU first. Excellent game - it reminds me of Super Mario World in every way. I know that the major complaint for the NSMB series is that it is too easy, and as far as I can see this has been addressed with this iteration. NSMBU gets hard, even in the main story levels and without collecting all star coins. Bosses can be tough, and level design can be punishing. It's a fantastic game, and it's filled with extra content to master. I love being able to play fully on the gamepad with it too, but it also looks great in HD on your monitor or TV. My only real complaint with the game is that it has average music at best. Nothing memorable. Nothing as legendary as let's say, SM64's Bowser theme. 

NintendoLand - well, it is what it is. It's better than I thought it would be, and MUCH better than something like Wii Sports. You have some legitimately fun, fully fleshed out mini games here. The Zelda, Pikmin, Metroid and Ninja ones stand out a lot I'd say, and you get some great uses of the gamepad. For multiplayer, the Luigi's Mansion minigame is the one that really shows you what asymmetric gameplay can do, but I didn't actually play it since I don't own Wiimotes to use for multiplayer. One thing I must say is that Metroid Blast - while good fun - makes you aim using the gamepad. This works pretty well and is fun for this mini game, but I seriously hope this doesn't become the norm for Metroid on Wii U. It's good as a minigame, but if I have to actually play a full shooter like that, I think it'd kill my hands eventually. That's the sort of thing that should either be toggle-able or used in key parts of a game only. I should mention that this sort of gameplay feels better in the Zelda minigame, because unlike Metroid where both analog sticks are used for movement (left stick for direction, right stick for elevation and moving the field of view left and right) and the gamepad is used for aiming, in Zelda you use the left stick to move the field of view left and right and that's it: all character movement is automatic (like a rail shooter) and the right stick is simply used to "pull back" arrows before shooting them, which actually feels quite good.

Rayman Legends - Wow. Well, this is a 2D platforming game, just like Origins, but this is really something special. Firstly, it looks absolutely fantastic in 1080p. The environments are crisp, lively, and all that jazz. However what managed to catch my attention immediately as the demo began was the great musical score. The production on this thing is just great. Now, the gameplay is quite familiar at first, and it's great as is. But then things really get fresh when you bust out Murphy, the frog fairy thing you control on the gamepad. The transition is seamless and suddenly now you're using the gamepad to its fullest by distracting enemies, cutting ropes, moving platforms, tilting the gamepad, hitting buttons, etc. It works really well and the CPU player you assist performs competently as long as you yourself are playing competently. The third demo level rocks, pun absolutely intended. In this level, you are prompted to run constantly as a wall of flame follows you from the left, jumping and attacking--in tune with the stage's background music--past enemies and obstacles in your way. It's actually quite fun. The three demo levels each showcase a different facet of gameplay (first level is gamepad-oriented, second is more traditional gameplay, and the third one is the chase with music scene), and all are equally satisfying. This game is definitely looking to be the strongest of the Wii U's early lineup so far.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed - I don't like this game. It doesn't use the gamepad very well but that's the least of its problems. The gameplay is average, crashing feels like nothing more than a minor speed setback, the music and stage in the demo is nothing to gawk at or laud. There was very little satisfaction in getting and using items, most of the time I didn't even know what they were doing. I'd much rather play a Mario Kart title than this. I feel like I should mention that I didn't know anything about this game until I played the demo, and that it's entirely possible that the demo is just far too limited to showcase how good the game really is - but still, compared to a demo like Rayman Legends which shows everything you need to know about the game, this thing is just completely average and limited, which doesn't leave a good impression for prospective buyers. Since the demo has a limited amount of uses anyway, there isn't really much of an excuse for such an extreme lack of content. I'm not even allowed to use characters that aren't Sonic, let alone switch cars, tracks or gameplay modes. The demo is also double the size of the Rayman Legends demo, but it is a 3D title so I wouldn't hold this against it

Mighty Switch Force: Hyper Drive Edition - Looks great in HD. Music is alright, nothing too great. The game itself is rather fun and definitely worth $10. Though it makes no special use of the gamepad, you can play entirely on it just like with NSMBU. The gameplay is great and just as it is on the 3DS version apparently, though the Wii U version has new "hyper" difficulty level versions of every stage which is actually great, since the biggest complaint with the 3DS title was its short completion length.

I haven't really used TVii because I don't have this thing hooked up to a TV, but just a monitor in my room, and the only service I use anyway is Netflix (which I usually watch via an Apple TV anyway). But I've unanimously heard only good things about TVii, so if that is something you're interested in, it's certainly worth checking out.

All in all, I'm satisfied with the purchase. The device has given me some technical problems: it's frozen twice, and annoyingly enough you have to unplug it when this happens as you cannot "hard" shutdown as with the PS3 or PC. The gamepad also disconnected once while playing the F-Zero minigame, which was rather annoying, even though I was only a few feet away. But those complaints aside, I find myself using the Wii U pretty often, if not at least once a day. Though really not an essential purchase at the moment (right now, it's just a nice device to have), I'm sure it will be once more titles start rolling out next year. Namely the first party Nintendo titles, but also other third party exclusives like Rayman Legends and Bayonetta 2.

If you're on the fence, I'd say get one. Unless you are only opting to own one console for the next generation, in which case I'd say don't get one, since third party support is something I can't see being great for multiplatform titles once the next wave of consoles rolls in. I'll get either a 720 or PS4 to complement the console titles I'll be playing on Wii U myself.
<message edited by Satanas on Wednesday, January 02, 2013 12:28 AM>

The Captain
  • Total Posts : 903
Re:Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Sunday, December 30, 2012 9:04 AM
Well said!

I too was not a fan of the Wii and was very disappointed.  I have been a gamer like you for a long time and grew up with all the Nintendo consoles.  I also have a PS3 and 360 right now and owned all the others in the past.

I was a little worried when the Wii U was announced and was totally on the fence.  Finally, thanks to a little push from FATMANGOBOOM, I made the purchase for Christmas.  I too was totally surprised by the quality of this console.  It's sleek and shows off crisp 1080P goldenness! 

I think Wii U is something you need to try to believe.  This was a sleeper for me and I am glad I took the plunge.

Like you said, Rayman Legends looks outstanding and too me brings Next Gen graphics into play.

Trine 2 also looks absolutely amazing!!  This was ported from the PC version and is polished!!

Little Inferno This was another sleeper hit for me.  Very addictive and fun to play!

Mario, Nintendoland are extremely fun as well and the details below are spot on.

Zombi U is also fun and quite creepy!  Uses the gamepad well and shows you what other games could bring to the table.

Sorry, I know I am not going into deep detail, but I think you get the point.  So far I am really impressed with the Wii U and the software listed.

I never agreed at first, but now I can say that Wii U is next gen.  I will also be picking up either a PS4 or 720.
<message edited by The Captain on Sunday, December 30, 2012 9:06 AM>

FAT MAN GO BOOM
  • Total Posts : 15362
Re:Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Sunday, December 30, 2012 10:35 AM
Yeah the wii U is a great system... 

I am loving... the controller brings in a new dynamic that most people are writing off because of the last consoles motion controls...

I also was disappointed in motion controls and tried it as well on the PS3 as well as the wii and did not like it at all... but the wii U gamepad is something I though would have been done much earlier than now...

I always thought that after the dreamcast had a little screen in the controller that others would have caught on to that...

sad to say a few generation had to past first...

I am looking forward to either a ps4 or 720... all depends on controllers and where they are going to take their systems...

Wii U I think would shock a lot of the people that bash it... not knowing how great it is... I am sure it will do just what it did with Captain... sleeper hit...

a surprise to what the controller and the system can do...

and your are right Captain this system is next gen...
[ali

TheNocturnus
  • Total Posts : 4403
Re:Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Sunday, December 30, 2012 11:29 AM
To busy playing my Wii U to write a long response. It is a great system and certainly offers a new experience with the gamepad. 

My PSN ID is: xNocturnus    XBL Tag is: xX Nocturnus Xx

TheMART
  • Total Posts : 3356
Re:Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Sunday, December 30, 2012 2:17 PM
"[style="text-align: -webkit-auto; background-color: rgb(248, 248, 248); "]The controller is comfortable and not too heavy. Feels nice in the hands for the most part, though the R and L bumpers are a little bit too far spaced from the ZL and ZR triggers and switching between them quickly is certainly not optimal. Other than that, the thing feels great. The touch screen is resistive touch and that can take a bit of getting used to if you have a smartphone and have never really used a DS, but at the end of the day, it's pretty responsive for its purposes"

Many professional reviews have said that the build quality is poor and feels like a cheap plastic toy. When the controller is shaken, the buttons make cheap noises etc.

And Rayman Legends next gen graphics... It is a 2D sidescroller... Sure 1080p will look nice, but it takes a lot more demanding games in 1080p that exceed the 360/PS3 games to take anything into next gen IMO

Satanas
Re:Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Sunday, December 30, 2012 4:32 PM
TheMART at Xboxkings

Many professional reviews have said that the build quality is poor and feels like a cheap plastic toy. When the controller is shaken, the buttons make cheap noises etc.

And Rayman Legends next gen graphics... It is a 2D sidescroller... Sure 1080p will look nice, but it takes a lot more demanding games in 1080p that exceed the 360/PS3 games to take anything into next gen IMO

I'm aware, and I am completely of the opposite opinion. It feels a lot sturdier than let's say, the SixAxis, which is the cheapest feeling first party controller I've ever held. Another important thing to note is they typically compare the build quality of the controller to a tablet, which is pretty unintelligent. If you compare it to a controller, it's pretty much nothing more or less than what you'd expect. These controllers won't retail for $300+ after all, as they are not tablets.

If you go and look through my post for the term "next gen graphics" you probably won't find it, though I'm aware captain made mention of this. For me, all "next gen" really entails are the consoles that will exist during that time period, not the hardware specifications themselves. Nintendo is unsurprisingly the weakest of the lot and this is no different than how the Wii was this gen, I don't think anyone is surprised by this or cares much (aside from those who like to use this as a retort).

If the Wii U were a graphically stronger system and thereby more expensive, I'd have had less of an urge to acquire one. I'm happy to own one for just $350. This system is more than enough to make the next 3D Mario title look beautiful in HD, which is more than all it needs to do to satisfy most Nintendo fans

As for ZombiU, I'm not sure I've seen a more divisive title in my life. That's something I'd like to pick up discounted or used to try out for myself. For now, NSMBU is keeping me quite busy alongside Nintendoland, and as such I've yet to feel the need to make another purchase. If I were to right now though, I'd probably give this title a try. It seems like a lot of fantastic ideas rolled into a less-than-optimal product
<message edited by Satanas on Sunday, December 30, 2012 4:39 PM>

TheMART
Re:Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Sunday, December 30, 2012 5:07 PM
Satanas

TheMART at Xboxkings

I'm aware, and I am completely of the opposite opinion. It feels a lot sturdier than let's say, the SixAxis, which is the cheapest feeling first party controller I've ever held. Another important thing to note is they typically compare the build quality of the controller to a tablet, which is pretty unintelligent. If you compare it to a controller, it's pretty much nothing more or less than what you'd expect. These controllers won't retail for $300+ after all, as they are not tablets.

If you go and look through my post for the term "next gen graphics" you probably won't find it, though I'm aware captain made mention of this. For me, all "next gen" really entails are the consoles that will exist during that time period, not the hardware specifications themselves. Nintendo is unsurprisingly the weakest of the lot and this is no different than how the Wii was this gen, I don't think anyone is surprised by this or cares much (aside from those who like to use this as a retort).

If the Wii U were a graphically stronger system and thereby more expensive, I'd have had less of an urge to acquire one. I'm happy to own one for just $350. This system is more than enough to make the next 3D Mario title look beautiful in HD, which is more than all it needs to do to satisfy most Nintendo fans

As for ZombiU, I'm not sure I've seen a more divisive title in my life. That's something I'd like to pick up discounted or used to try out for myself. For now, NSMBU is keeping me quite busy alongside Nintendoland, and as such I've yet to feel the need to make another purchase. If I were to right now though, I'd probably give this title a try. It seems like a lot of fantastic ideas rolled into a less-than-optimal product

So you say this is nonsense?

http://www.engadget.com/w...nintendo-wii-u-review/

"Sadly, overall, the GamePad controller gives off a relatively low-grade impression; it looks and feels like a toy. The four main buttons resemble aspirin pills and aren't of the polish we expect from modern game consoles; glossy plus / minus buttons accentuate this tragedy even further. Shallow, squishy shoulder buttons akin to those on Sony's DualShock 3 compare poorly to those found on the current Xbox 360 controller as well as competent third-party equivalents (the Razer Onza, for instance). And the convex analog sticks had our thumbs easily slipping during long Mario sessions. "

or:

http://www.theverge.com/2.../nintendo-wii-u-review

"The whole thing feels a little cheap and flimsy (a common occurrence with Nintendo consoles) though it's plenty sturdy in use. The build quality is one of many sacrifices Nintendo seems to make in the name of creating a lighter, smaller GamePad. "

"The highlight of the GamePad is its 6.2-inch, 16:9 display, which is really the central interaction point for the Wii U. It's a decent screen — its 854 x 480 resolution (about 158 ppi) makes really small elements a little blurry, but it’s still totally usable, and Nintendo's graphics aren't exactly high-def anyway. It's a disaster of a touchscreen, though: the resistive display often doesn't register taps or swipes at all, and you have to really mash on the screen to get it to register. Gaming's all about fast-twitch reactions, and you'll miss a lot while trying to tap the screen. The included stylus is a little better, but not much."

and:

http://wiiudaily.com/2012...tle-are-you-concerned/

"The Wii U officially launched yesterday and among the top concerns is the strange rattling sound made by shaking the Wii U GamePad as discussed on the Wii U Forums. There some to be two schools of thought: some think it’s the natural rattling of the buttons while other think the interior was poorly made or improperly assembled."

So where does this all come from?

Chard
  • Total Posts : 503
Re:Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Sunday, December 30, 2012 6:09 PM
 Anyone have any thoughts on the Pro controller?

The Captain
Re:Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Sunday, December 30, 2012 6:53 PM
TheMART at Xboxkings

"[style="text-align: -webkit-auto; background-color: rgb(248, 248, 248); "]The controller is comfortable and not too heavy. Feels nice in the hands for the most part, though the R and L bumpers are a little bit too far spaced from the ZL and ZR triggers and switching between them quickly is certainly not optimal. Other than that, the thing feels great. The touch screen is resistive touch and that can take a bit of getting used to if you have a smartphone and have never really used a DS, but at the end of the day, it's pretty responsive for its purposes"

I suggest you go to your local game store and try the Wii U for yourself.  Then you could form your own opinion on the hardware.  The gamepad is a solid piece of hardware and I have had no issues with it.  I find it very slick and innovative and the build/material of the gamepad seem fine to me.

As far as graphics go, I know this is no PC or anything, but I do find the 1080p much crisper then 720p.  Raymond is very impressive for a 2d sidescroller and it's just the little things about it and the controls on the gamepad. Raymond really utilizes the gamepad well.

We are yet to see the true power of Wii U graphically, but I am sure E3 will change this.  It might not look as good as 720 or PS4, but I do feel it will be greater then PS3 and 360.  It's not just graphics, but also innovation and control.  The way we can play games as changed once again.

You should give it a try..... I was surprised as I was more of a Wii U basher.
<message edited by The Captain on Sunday, December 30, 2012 7:19 PM>

Satanas
Re:Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Sunday, December 30, 2012 9:30 PM
TheMART at Xboxkings

So you say this is nonsense?

http://www.engadget.com/w...nintendo-wii-u-review/

"Sadly, overall, the GamePad controller gives off a relatively low-grade impression; it looks and feels like a toy. The four main buttons resemble aspirin pills and aren't of the polish we expect from modern game consoles; glossy plus / minus buttons accentuate this tragedy even further. Shallow, squishy shoulder buttons akin to those on Sony's DualShock 3 compare poorly to those found on the current Xbox 360 controller as well as competent third-party equivalents (the Razer Onza, for instance). And the convex analog sticks had our thumbs easily slipping during long Mario sessions. "

or:

http://www.theverge.com/2.../nintendo-wii-u-review

"The whole thing feels a little cheap and flimsy (a common occurrence with Nintendo consoles) though it's plenty sturdy in use. The build quality is one of many sacrifices Nintendo seems to make in the name of creating a lighter, smaller GamePad. "

"The highlight of the GamePad is its 6.2-inch, 16:9 display, which is really the central interaction point for the Wii U. It's a decent screen — its 854 x 480 resolution (about 158 ppi) makes really small elements a little blurry, but it’s still totally usable, and Nintendo's graphics aren't exactly high-def anyway. It's a disaster of a touchscreen, though: the resistive display often doesn't register taps or swipes at all, and you have to really mash on the screen to get it to register. Gaming's all about fast-twitch reactions, and you'll miss a lot while trying to tap the screen. The included stylus is a little better, but not much."

and:

http://wiiudaily.com/2012...tle-are-you-concerned/

"The Wii U officially launched yesterday and among the top concerns is the strange rattling sound made by shaking the Wii U GamePad as discussed on the Wii U Forums. There some to be two schools of thought: some think it’s the natural rattling of the buttons while other think the interior was poorly made or improperly assembled."

So where does this all come from?

Well, you probably didn't read the excerpts you shared very thoroughly.

The first post is criticizing design choices more than anything: button size, convex analog sticks, digital trigger button (rather than analog), etc. As for "feeling like a toy", it is a toy. That doesn't mean it feels like it's going to break, because it doesn't - it feels much sturdier than a SixAxis, and comparably sturdy to a 360 controller or a DualShock. I'm guessing you've never held one yourself, actually, I guarantee that.

And read this one:

That's absolutely true - it's a small, light GamePad. Thereby, it doesn't feel very weighty and that's one of the things I was relieved about. It looks significantly heavier than it actually is. And as they've said themselves, it's plenty sturdy in use.

I agree with the resistive touch screen comment: it doesn't register some of my taps either, because I'm used to my iPhone. But it works just like the DS, so if you're used to that, it isn't better or worse. As for "and you have to really mash on the screen to get it to register", that isn't true at all. I've never had to mash at any point in time.

And very last point: Yes, it does rattle. The "school of thought" you can place me into is this: utter indifference. If you wish to believe every gamepad by design is "improperly assembled" then you may. I will let you know if I ever have any issues with its build quality in terms of button failure or sticking.

It seems pretty sturdy in the hands, though I have only held one. I'm waiting until a game that it seems rather imperative for before I actually buy one (ie. Bayonetta 2)

<message edited by Satanas on Sunday, December 30, 2012 9:33 PM>

FAT MAN GO BOOM
Re:Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Sunday, December 30, 2012 9:45 PM
Gamepad rocks I have not problems with it...  it feels more comfortable than I imagined..  I thought it would be more heavy as well...

That said... it is great.. just holding in it for a while means not too much... putting it through the paces is another... you for get that there is a touch pad some times... feels like a very wide controller... like the duke... almost...

That said.. it is a blast to play would be on it now but daughter is playing it so I have to wait my turn... 

it sucks having to wait...

[ali

FAT MAN GO BOOM
Re:Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Sunday, December 30, 2012 9:50 PM
Chard

I have it is really good as well very comfortable   if the sticks were off set you would think you were holding a 360 controller almost...

260 controller is one of my favorite controllers I like the off set sticks better... but that said.... the pro controller is great and worth the money as well...

the charge lasts for a long time... I still not have had to charge it and has a bunch of hours on it... over 15hrs... I would say... so far...

[ali

Satanas
Re:Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Sunday, December 30, 2012 10:30 PM
Oh I should mention that the GamePad's charge is pretty bad - 3 hours or so. I've turned on "Power Saving mode", whatever that does, and it seems to be lasting longer than that which is nice, but not much longer.

I've heard that the Pro controller's charge lasts for an absurdly long time though

FAT MAN GO BOOM
Re:Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Monday, December 31, 2012 7:39 AM
Satanas

Oh I should mention that the GamePad's charge is pretty bad - 3 hours or so. I've turned on "Power Saving mode", whatever that does, and it seems to be lasting longer than that which is nice, but not much longer.

I've heard that the Pro controller's charge lasts for an absurdly long time though

Yeah you can change the brightness of the screen and it will  make the charge on the game pad last longer... you can also disable rumble as well...

I just turned the screen down a little and notice a difference...

Also you can play with the game pad plugged in eh...  also I think the usb cable will fit as well... will have to try that though....
[ali

TheMART
Re:Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Monday, December 31, 2012 7:47 AM
FAT MAN GO BOOM

Satanas

Yeah you can change the brightness of the screen and it will  make the charge on the game pad last longer... you can also disable rumble as well...

Also you can play with the game pad plugged in eh...  also I think the usb cable will fit as well... will have to try that though....

Lol come on... It is this gen and one wouldn't have rumble? Or a cable to the controller instead of wireless?

That is just really bad. Nintendo should step up quick and include a better battery + a better charger.

It is unforgivable that a remote needs to charge about as long as it lasts on one charge with all features like rumble and brightness on. Nintendo went out cheap, but this ain't good. Especially if one can't replace the batteries itself (no normal batteries like for example a 360 controller).

FAT MAN GO BOOM
Re:Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Monday, December 31, 2012 12:11 PM
TheMART at Xboxkings

FAT MAN GO BOOM

Satanas

Lol come on... It is this gen and one wouldn't have rumble? Or a cable to the controller instead of wireless?

That is just really bad. Nintendo should step up quick and include a better battery + a better charger.

It is unforgivable that a remote needs to charge about as long as it lasts on one charge with all features like rumble and brightness on. Nintendo went out cheap, but this ain't good. Especially if one can't replace the batteries itself (no normal batteries like for example a 360 controller).

no you are wrong in everything you said there... it is sad you are so blind and carry a flag for MS it is more than obvious that you can not be rational about this.. and are just trolling...  

I hated the wii it sucked ass... I sold mine...   but the Wii U is a worthy next gen system...

troll some where else... cause nothing you say is correct... in the above statement..

The tablet pad charges for me in a hour... 
it last 3 to 3 1'2 hrs...
It has rumble
the screen is not on max but dimmed to 80%brightness 

If I want I can plug the ac in for longer game play and it will charge at the same time..

Considering the 360 was the only system last gen to launch with a wired controller...    I would not be boasting who should have wireless or not...

I am done wasting my time with you...good luck in life you are going to need a lot of it...

[ali

TheMART
Re:Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Monday, December 31, 2012 1:16 PM
FAT MAN GO BOOM

TheMART at Xboxkings

FAT MAN GO BOOM

Satanas

no you are wrong in everything you said there... it is sad you are so blind and carry a flag for MS it is more than obvious that you can not be rational about this.. and are just trolling...  

I hated the wii it sucked ass... I sold mine...   but the Wii U is a worthy next gen system...

troll some where else... cause nothing you say is correct... in the above statement..

It has rumble

If I want I can plug the ac in for longer game play and it will charge at the same time..

Considering the 360 was the only system last gen to launch with a wired controller...    I would not be boasting who should have wireless or not...

I am done wasting my time with you...good luck in life you are going to need a lot of it...

Oh so now if someone doesn't talk positive about WiiU it is trolling?

Charging your gamepad magically just takes one hour, where Santana just said it takes his 3 hours? And pretty much every hardware review says it takes 3 hours? Interesting.

It has rumble, but you say you shut it off to save power, that is just sad if you have to do so. This gen controllers should do longer time on the battery, shorter charging and one shouldn't have to shut down rumble to save some power.

Blind and carry a flag for MS? Lol I play my PS3 more than anything nowadays. And PSVita. The 360 only gets turned on for playing Rockband. And I own a Wii, so no you're so blind to assume a lot.

WiiU is just upgrading to this gen in hardware and the controller should have been a lot better, and should last a lot longer on one charge.

Oh and try to use less ... maybe in a post.

TheNocturnus
Re:Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Monday, December 31, 2012 1:25 PM
TheMART at Xboxkings

Charging your gamepad magically just takes one hour, where Santana just said it takes his 3 hours? And pretty much every hardware review says it takes 3 hours? Interesting.

It has rumble, but you say you shut it off to save power, that is just sad if you have to do so. This gen controllers should do longer time on the battery, shorter charging and one shouldn't have to shut down rumble to save some power.

Blind and carry a flag for MS? Lol I play my PS3 more than anything nowadays. And PSVita. The 360 only gets turned on for playing Rockband. And I own a Wii, so no you're so blind to assume a lot.

WiiU is just upgrading to this gen in hardware and the controller should have been a lot better, and should last a lot longer on one charge.

My controller only takes about an hour to charge as well. And yes, you are trolling here. Wii U is a next gen system whether you like it or not. Have you actually sat down with the system? Have you played it more than 2 minutes at a kiosk in a store? If you have not then you are doing a disservice to yourself.

TheMART
Re:Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Monday, December 31, 2012 1:50 PM
Nocturnus32

TheMART at Xboxkings

My controller only takes about an hour to charge as well. And yes, you are trolling here. Wii U is a next gen system whether you like it or not. Have you actually sat down with the system? Have you played it more than 2 minutes at a kiosk in a store? If you have not then you are doing a disservice to yourself.

I've been playing it at a demo pod in a shop for like half an hour. And no, it ain't next gen. The multiplat games look the same, some even worse than on PS360. And ZombiU is pretty much the only refreshing title, but only to a certain extend. Not enough to buy a system for. A new controller doesn't make a system next gen to me, sorry bro.

Next gen in consoles for me is if they make a jump in hardware. Like how SNES did compared to NES and its competitors, how N64 did compared to SNES and its competitors, even how Gamecube made the jump and was at least on par, and little over PS2 power in its gen.

This gen started with a Wii that was about on par with former gen (480p, the CPU/GPU did about what the XBOX 1 did) and the gen was upgraded with WiiU that is about the power of the 360 with some extra ram and another controller upgrade. Nothing more, nothing less.

The Captain
Re:Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Monday, December 31, 2012 2:36 PM
TheMART at Xboxkings

Nocturnus32

TheMART at Xboxkings

I've been playing it at a demo pod in a shop for like half an hour. And no, it ain't next gen. The multiplat games look the same, some even worse than on PS360. And ZombiU is pretty much the only refreshing title, but only to a certain extend. Not enough to buy a system for. A new controller doesn't make a system next gen to me, sorry bro.

Next gen in consoles for me is if they make a jump in hardware. Like how SNES did compared to NES and its competitors, how N64 did compared to SNES and its competitors, even how Gamecube made the jump and was at least on par, and little over PS2 power in its gen.

This gen started with a Wii that was about on par with former gen (480p, the CPU/GPU did about what the XBOX 1 did) and the gen was upgraded with WiiU that is about the power of the 360 with some extra ram and another controller upgrade. Nothing more, nothing less.

As I sit here and drink a cold beer, I find your posts quite humorous!!  Your comments are lackluster at best and make no sense.  I don't believe you have tried the console as if you did, some of your statements would not be made.  It's ok not to like Nintendo, but don't make up statements and try to make them facts.  Your above examples are poor and to say some games don't look as good as PS3 and 360 tickles my tummy!

If you do a proper search at www.google.com you will see there is more positive remarks and reviews about the wii u then negative.  No console launch in perfect, but to say a new console is not next gen is ridiculous!!  If you were an experienced gamer you would know it will take some time to see how powerful a console is and what developers can do with new hardware.  I think you are very confused and should stop thinking of RAM and CPU.... that's not just gaming.  I have been a gamer for over 28 years and have had most of the systems.  I know what I am talking about. 

Oh and some rumors of the next gen systems meaning (PS4, 720) is there won't be a big jump in graphics like the PS2 and PS3 were.  So does that mean they would not be considered next gen??  Of course these are rumors, but could be true.  I am a graphics whore and really love a good graphical experience, but this does not define next gen. 

<message edited by The Captain on Monday, December 31, 2012 2:57 PM>

FAT MAN GO BOOM
Re:Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Monday, December 31, 2012 3:10 PM
TheMART at Xboxkings

FAT MAN GO BOOM

TheMART at Xboxkings

FAT MAN GO BOOM

Satanas

It has rumble

Read what I said ****... I just turned the brightness down... is the next god damn line...  it seems you only want to see one side of things and take waht ever is there and twist it around ... grow up man...

it is out impressions of what the system is... simple as that... only down fall I would say this system has... is space... 32GB is not a whole lot...
and people with 8GB are really screwed since the first updated is large...

that said... 

the rest is all good.... if you like it or not... keep grasping at straws man...
[ali

TheDivine
  • Total Posts : 110
Re:Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Tuesday, January 01, 2013 12:34 AM
Wii-u totally caught me off guard. I admit I was a big doubter. I love N and grew up on them but the wii really let me down (last story and xenoblade aside). Immediately I was taken aback by how fu**ing awesome miiverse is. It's like a built in plaza, forum, comment section, and tbh it's what is most innovative. It's like having a built in n4g comment section but exclusively for owners of the system and even has the Facebook like profile with yeas and dislike type stuff. It's built into nsmbu where you can see people's mii's and comments on the world map. It's neat to see tips and comments about how many times they died or stupid ghost killed my yoshi. There's also dope ass art people draw on their comments. It makes the system feel like it has a vibrant, fun, and friendly community which it does have. I can't stress how cool it is. 

Nsmbu is the best Mario since world. I liked nsmb on ds because it was the first 2d Mario in decades. The wii one and 3ds one were generic boring rehashes with the same worlds and gameplay. This one has new worlds, a world map with secrets aplenty, new power ups like the squirrel suit which rocks, and its actually difficult. It finally has yoshis, baby yoshis, and the favorite enemies like moles return and even the big world with giant goombas and everything. It's the most stunning sidescroller I've ever played (graphic and art wise it's stunning in hd). The backgrounds are hand drawn or at least look like it and all in all it took me back to the snes days and me fall in love with Mario again.

I've played a few other titles and they're serviceable. Sega all stars is fun and one of the best kart racers ever. It's nice to switch to the handheld for these titles also. It's like having a handheld that can play console games. Cod looks amazing and better than other consoles. Zombie-u is fun although it doesn't blow you away graphically it's innovative and has demons souls vibe. 

The tablet controller itself is amazing. It looks heavy but its lighter than a 360 controller and a dual shock. It feels comfortable and is solid and well built. It's no ipad but the screen is sharp and crisp like a vita. Games look amazing on it and I'm excited for some dual screen games like twewy or something like kid Icarus uprising. In all its the best console available. Better graphics (nothing mind blowing mind you), a handheld and possibilies for dual screen gaming and new control methods, and a return to form for Nintendo (although they started with the 3ds which has classic games and new stuff aplenty), and it has the best community integration social aspect. It could easily beat xbl for best online if people by the system although it needs trophies (a lot have them but its not a standard) and it needs stuff like party chat and to be able to tie accounts together with a 3ds for one ecosystem. 

In all it has more potential than any system ever. I'd guess nearly every hater hasn't actually tried it. When you do it just clicks. I'd say nsmbu with miiverse tied into the world map and the ability to play on the controller shows just why this is a revolution. It's the best Nintendo console ever hopefully the games live up to n64/GameCube/snes days. Nsmbu is an amazing start.
<message edited by TheDivine on Tuesday, January 01, 2013 12:35 AM>

LOOK_AT_THIS_I
  • Total Posts : 55
Re:Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Tuesday, January 01, 2013 1:23 AM
Gotta agree with the positive comments above.   I have not been very pro Nintendo the last few years but this is actually been fun messing with. There are drawbacks to some things but you are always going to find something to bitch about when you look for it.  The game pad really surprised me I thought it would be like holding a book with sticks but its actually pretty comfy once you get used to it.  My wife even likes this, having the screen bounce back and forth is nice when she wants to watch something on tv.  The Netflix app is nice but it needs to get rid of the game pad requirement.   Want to see support for the Wii/vc titles to get support on the game pad  

Nintendoland is a good tech demo and shows what devs can include in future titles.  The new Mario brothers game is great.  Been a long time since Ive said that.  I will pick up a few titles assassins creed/darksiders/and prob black ops soon.   Give it a try before you blast it, it's not replacing my ps3/vita but its definitely got a place next to my tv now.  
SOCOM 2 HD PLEASE :)

ezcex
  • Total Posts : 2666
Re:Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Tuesday, January 01, 2013 6:21 AM
FAT MAN GO BOOM

Read what I said ****... I just turned the brightness down... is the next god damn line...  it seems you only want to see one side of things and take waht ever is there and twist it around ... grow up man...

And now you know Mart.

TheMART
Re:Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Tuesday, January 01, 2013 7:39 AM
The Captain

TheMART at Xboxkings

Nocturnus32

TheMART at Xboxkings

As I sit here and drink a cold beer, I find your posts quite humorous!!  Your comments are lackluster at best and make no sense.  I don't believe you have tried the console as if you did, some of your statements would not be made.  It's ok not to like Nintendo, but don't make up statements and try to make them facts.  Your above examples are poor and to say some games don't look as good as PS3 and 360 tickles my tummy!

If you do a proper search at www.google.com you will see there is more positive remarks and reviews about the wii u then negative.  No console launch in perfect, but to say a new console is not next gen is ridiculous!!  If you were an experienced gamer you would know it will take some time to see how powerful a console is and what developers can do with new hardware.  I think you are very confused and should stop thinking of RAM and CPU.... that's not just gaming.  I have been a gamer for over 28 years and have had most of the systems.  I know what I am talking about. 

Oh and some rumors of the next gen systems meaning (PS4, 720) is there won't be a big jump in graphics like the PS2 and PS3 were.  So does that mean they would not be considered next gen??  Of course these are rumors, but could be true.  I am a graphics whore and really love a good graphical experience, but this does not define next gen. 

Mass Effect 3 says high with some bad dropping framerates on WiiU...

Proper search on google and you can conclude it has more positive remarks and reviews then negative eh? You've been doing that all day and counted them? Lol, come on. Stop thinking about RAM, CPU and GPU. Really? I did that when I bought the Wii and damn it made my eyes hurt when I connected it to my HDTV, certainly compared to PS360. Those parts are important to have a console going for some time and not be left behind on the games in some years time. Like how Wii got left behind on games (sad COD ports etc), same will happen to WiiU when next gen at E3 2013 comes by. Ports of major games won't be possible (like it got Mass Effect, Batman and others now) as its too far behind in power on the... Yep, CPU and GPU. You can try to close your eyes and pretend its not there, but you know it is the truth, Wii has perfectly pointed that out.

Nice that you've been a gamer for 28 years now. I am a gamer for 30 years, and own most of the systems, if not more than you. So that means I know even better than you what I'm talking about if we go count years and systems? Your opinion is yours, and mine is mine.

The rumors over the jump in graphics, well duh. We saw a jump from SD/480p to HD/1080p. As the human eye has certain limits, it ain't logical to make jumps in resolution. What we can see in jumps is stuff like better physics, destructive environments that are more impressive, more enemies on screen, real 60fps at 1080p (WiiU was said to do this, but it also seems stuck on this gen 720p for the most games and in games have framerate dropping problems even at 720p). Pretty sure that both Playstation and XBOX will get this done. Heck, Sony is a hardware company and they always explore new roads. And recently we've seen they don't go cheap last gen stuff with the PSVita again. It doesn't have weak old CPU/GPU like the 3DS, they got in high spec stuff for a handheld. And if you like rumors a lot, there are even rumors that Durango/Xbox 8/720 is 16 core. I don't believe that, but I do see next gen having more cores than just 3 (like the 360 has and like WiiU copied to get easy ports), GPU's that go for Direct X 11 and with a jump from current gen PS360&WiiU and RAM around 8GB's compared to WiiU's 2GB of RAM.

If you like to believe that an upgrade to about this gen, with WiiU doing 720p games at mostly 30fps will be able to keep up with next gen announced at this E3, be my guest. But it is very short sighted. This gen triple core low clocked CPU and a system that uses just 30 to 35 watts running a game, won't be as powerful as next gen.

The Captain
Re:Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Tuesday, January 01, 2013 8:23 AM
TheMART at Xboxkings

The Captain

TheMART at Xboxkings

Nocturnus32

TheMART at Xboxkings

Proper search on google and you can conclude it has more positive remarks and reviews then negative eh? You've been doing that all day and counted them? Lol, come on. Stop thinking about RAM, CPU and GPU. Really? I did that when I bought the Wii and damn it made my eyes hurt when I connected it to my HDTV, certainly compared to PS360. Those parts are important to have a console going for some time and not be left behind on the games in some years time. Like how Wii got left behind on games (sad COD ports etc), same will happen to WiiU when next gen at E3 2013 comes by. Ports of major games won't be possible (like it got Mass Effect, Batman and others now) as its too far behind in power on the... Yep, CPU and GPU. You can try to close your eyes and pretend its not there, but you know it is the truth, Wii has perfectly pointed that out.

Nice that you've been a gamer for 28 years now. I am a gamer for 30 years, and own most of the systems, if not more than you. So that means I know even better than you what I'm talking about if we go count years and systems? Your opinion is yours, and mine is mine.

The rumors over the jump in graphics, well duh. We saw a jump from SD/480p to HD/1080p. As the human eye has certain limits, it ain't logical to make jumps in resolution. What we can see in jumps is stuff like better physics, destructive environments that are more impressive, more enemies on screen, real 60fps at 1080p (WiiU was said to do this, but it also seems stuck on this gen 720p for the most games and in games have framerate dropping problems even at 720p). Pretty sure that both Playstation and XBOX will get this done. Heck, Sony is a hardware company and they always explore new roads. And recently we've seen they don't go cheap last gen stuff with the PSVita again. It doesn't have weak old CPU/GPU like the 3DS, they got in high spec stuff for a handheld. And if you like rumors a lot, there are even rumors that Durango/Xbox 8/720 is 16 core. I don't believe that, but I do see next gen having more cores than just 3 (like the 360 has and like WiiU copied to get easy ports), GPU's that go for Direct X 11 and with a jump from current gen PS360&WiiU and RAM around 8GB's compared to WiiU's 2GB of RAM.

If you like to believe that an upgrade to about this gen, with WiiU doing 720p games at mostly 30fps will be able to keep up with next gen announced at this E3, be my guest. But it is very short sighted. This gen triple core low clocked CPU and a system that uses just 30 to 35 watts running a game, won't be as powerful as next gen.

Not worth my time going back and forth on this issue.  If you are a long time gamer as stated, then you would know next gen is not defined by graphics.  Give your head a shake!!!!!

You points mean nothing and I do not need a education in tech thank you.  720p and 1080p and all that jazz.....

All specs you mentioned above are speculation and rumored.  Nothing confirmed as of yet and even the Nintendo Specs are clouded. Nintendo's specs.  I have already stated in previous posts that I know this system will not be more powerful then PS4 and 720 and this is why I will be purchasing them as well.  I am a graphics whore and do hope the other two go balls out!  I think you are not giving the Wii U the chance it deserves and should stop making silly comments.  Ubi Soft has already said how they were presently surprised by the Wii U's power.  It will take a little time, but you will see software that looks better then 360 and PS3.

Give it a solid try, if you don't like it that is fine....  To say some games look better on 360 or PS3 is total BS.... I know it's only a sidescroller, but I recommend looking at Raymond and Trine 2.... Trine 2 is a PC port and looks great!

http://www.cubed3.com/new...n-wii-u-potential.html

<message edited by The Captain on Tuesday, January 01, 2013 8:33 AM>

Rage_S90
  • Total Posts : 7899
Re:Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Tuesday, January 01, 2013 1:43 PM
I'm continually impressed by Nintendo's ability to make something so underpowered.  

Satanas
Re:Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Tuesday, January 01, 2013 3:54 PM
TheMART at Xboxkings

where Santana just said it takes his 3 hours? 

It lasts 3 hours (which is bad), it takes about 1 to charge (which is standard).

Edit: Scratch that, it actually takes closer to 2 to charge. That's not too great
<message edited by Satanas on Wednesday, January 02, 2013 3:28 AM>

TheNocturnus
Re:Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Tuesday, January 01, 2013 4:33 PM
Rage_S90

I'm continually impressed by Nintendo's ability to make something so underpowered.  

It's more powerful than your precious PS3, so there's that.

Satanas
Re:Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Tuesday, January 01, 2013 4:56 PM
Nocturnus32

I wonder how much this really matters to many of the Wii U owners here. I mean, I'd say a good chunk of us have other consoles as it is.

It is, for me at least, not really about where the Wii U sits in regards to its competition that made me buy one. It's the first-party software - and rightfully so.

As far as first-party titles go, no one does it quite like Nintendo. Actually, scratch that, Microsoft and Sony can't really do it at all. The one thing I regret missing last generation were titles like SMG1&2, DKC Returns, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, MP3, hell even Brawl (though I typically prefer technical fighters), NSMBWii and Super Paper Mario.

There isn't a title on either the 360 or PS3 that can make up for the loss of both SMG titles. Those blow the competition out of the water. I mean, the 3D Super Mario series is probably the closest to perfect collection of titles ever, and I've missed out on three-fourths of those titles, though I've played them all improperly at random times on friends' and family's machines. But I'm tired of missing stuff like that. What am I going to get with Microsoft and Sony? That godforsaken Banjo sequel that makes N64 veterans cringe? Little Big Planet? Jesus, those games aren't even worth mentioning when you see what Nintendo EAD is able to put out.

I have high hopes for the next Zelda and Mario titles, and with the track record EAD has, there's really no need to doubt their abilities. It's something I can't and don't hope for with my other consoles.

And let's also talk about Retro - I've come to realize that they are slowly reminding me of Rareware from the 90s the more I look at their track record. There was a time Rare could put out any game in any genre and it'd be the best there was. Now we have Retro, who previously just did the excellent Prime series, rebooting DKC and also taking over for Mario Kart, and doing a damn fine job in both cases. It's all very exciting stuff for someone who hasn't truly had a phenomenal time with a console since the N64. Whatever they're working on now, it's sure to be worth the wait

<message edited by Satanas on Tuesday, January 01, 2013 5:05 PM>

TheNocturnus
Re:Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Tuesday, January 01, 2013 5:19 PM
Satanas

Nocturnus32

I wonder how much this really matters to many of the Wii U owners here. I mean, I'd say a good chunk of us have other consoles as it is.

It kind of matters to me. I have a PC and a 360 for other games. I am almost positive the 720 and PS4 will be way more powerful but what if they aren't? I want the Wii U exclusives to be on par with the other systems. All I know is that right now I am happy with my purchase.

TheMART
Re:Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Tuesday, January 01, 2013 5:46 PM
The Captain

TheMART at Xboxkings

The Captain

TheMART at Xboxkings

Nocturnus32

TheMART at Xboxkings

Not worth my time going back and forth on this issue.  If you are a long time gamer as stated, then you would know next gen is not defined by graphics.  Give your head a shake!!!!!

You points mean nothing and I do not need a education in tech thank you.  720p and 1080p and all that jazz.....

All specs you mentioned above are speculation and rumored.  Nothing confirmed as of yet and even the Nintendo Specs are clouded. Nintendo's specs.  I have already stated in previous posts that I know this system will not be more powerful then PS4 and 720 and this is why I will be purchasing them as well.  I am a graphics whore and do hope the other two go balls out!  I think you are not giving the Wii U the chance it deserves and should stop making silly comments.  Ubi Soft has already said how they were presently surprised by the Wii U's power.  It will take a little time, but you will see software that looks better then 360 and PS3.

Give it a solid try, if you don't like it that is fine....  To say some games look better on 360 or PS3 is total BS.... I know it's only a sidescroller, but I recommend looking at Raymond and Trine 2.... Trine 2 is a PC port and looks great!

As a long time gamer, next gen is not about graphics? Actually I disagree. Although ofcourse games started out with a lot of pixels and few colors, but every new gen gave large jumps in new hardware even back then. The jump from NES to SNES was pretty big, the jump from SNES to N64 too etc. And even looking at other systems/brands, I remember the days we had stuff jumping from a few colors on screen at once to thousands, then millions. And times have changed too, you can't compare the 80's or 90's with today.

Nintendo specs clouded? Not that much, a hacker already showed that the CPU is a triple core low clocked one, basically 3 x the Wii CPU, that is why Wii games can run native too, just on one core of the WiiU. That same hacker also gave the speed the GPU is clocked on. Ubisoft says how they're suprised with the WiiU's power? Yeah, they need to sell their games.... Numerous other developers have said the WiiU CPU is slow and hard to get the ports done and prevent to have it have choppy framerates and stuff. So facts like games being on 720p for WiiU, framerateproblems/not 60fps etc are silly comments now? Sorry to hear that when facts are given you find them silly.

And yes, Rayman is just a 2D side scrolling game. It is not the most demanding game. That is why the other games are all in 720p and not 1080p as first was expected on the WiiU. I will give the WiiU a chance, when Nintendo updates the parts that they went cheapass on now, like the gamepad battery, and when there are games that actually would justify the system outside of the same 1st party stuff of Nintendo, like a game as New Super Mario Bros that I played on the Wii already basically.

MattyG
  • Total Posts : 3346
Re:Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Tuesday, January 01, 2013 6:54 PM
Just finished ZombiU and all I can say is... wow. It may be a flawed game, but it was by far one of the most engrossing games I've played all year. 

The Captain
Re:Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Tuesday, January 01, 2013 7:56 PM
TheMART at Xboxkings

The Captain

TheMART at Xboxkings

The Captain

TheMART at Xboxkings

Nocturnus32

TheMART at Xboxkings

As a long time gamer, next gen is not about graphics? Actually I disagree. Although ofcourse games started out with a lot of pixels and few colors, but every new gen gave large jumps in new hardware even back then. The jump from NES to SNES was pretty big, the jump from SNES to N64 too etc. And even looking at other systems/brands, I remember the days we had stuff jumping from a few colors on screen at once to thousands, then millions. And times have changed too, you can't compare the 80's or 90's with today.

Nintendo specs clouded? Not that much, a hacker already showed that the CPU is a triple core low clocked one, basically 3 x the Wii CPU, that is why Wii games can run native too, just on one core of the WiiU. That same hacker also gave the speed the GPU is clocked on. Ubisoft says how they're suprised with the WiiU's power? Yeah, they need to sell their games.... Numerous other developers have said the WiiU CPU is slow and hard to get the ports done and prevent to have it have choppy framerates and stuff. So facts like games being on 720p for WiiU, framerateproblems/not 60fps etc are silly comments now? Sorry to hear that when facts are given you find them silly.

And yes, Rayman is just a 2D side scrolling game. It is not the most demanding game. That is why the other games are all in 720p and not 1080p as first was expected on the WiiU. I will give the WiiU a chance, when Nintendo updates the parts that they went cheapass on now, like the gamepad battery, and when there are games that actually would justify the system outside of the same 1st party stuff of Nintendo, like a game as New Super Mario Bros that I played on the Wii already basically.

Ok, please send me links to developers saying they are having a hard time with ports to the Wii U.  My last post has a link with developers praising the Wii U and stating it is Next gen.  Ubi Soft needs to sell their games.... of course they do, but they still don't need to make those specific comments. 

Cheapness and bla bla bla.... you kill me.....  Is cheapness an xbox that dies a month in and then I need to get another.... and another....
What hardware issues will Microsoft have with the 720.... already having manufacturing issues.  Sony, I love them, but they are in financial trouble and cannot afford to make any errors.  Again, I know the Wii U is not a power house graphically, but I still find the graphics to be good and the innovation to be a selling point.  I know the next 2 systems will have more power, but this is not my point.

Any hoot... love talking shop and you are entitled to your opinion and if you truly did play it and don't like it, more power to you.  There are a ton of other gamers who enjoy it and welcome a fresh change.

Have a great night

<message edited by The Captain on Tuesday, January 01, 2013 8:07 PM>

TheNocturnus
Re:Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Tuesday, January 01, 2013 8:06 PM
This thread is so full of quote chains.

The Captain
Re:Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Tuesday, January 01, 2013 8:07 PM
Nocturnus32

It sure is! :)

I am now done....

Rage_S90
  • Total Posts : 7899
Re:Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Tuesday, January 01, 2013 8:15 PM
Nocturnus32

Rage_S90

Oh really a brand new console is a tiny bit more powerful then a 6 year old console, wow, noc, I've got to say I'm shocked. 

MidnytRain
  • Total Posts : 3482
Re:Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Tuesday, January 01, 2013 8:22 PM
So just to be clear, we have to have bought and played it before we can post our opinions?

TheMART
Re:Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Tuesday, January 01, 2013 8:33 PM
The Captain

Nocturnus32

It sure is! :)

I am now done....

[font="'helvetica neue', helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; line-height: 24px; text-align: -webkit-auto; "]"That's a lot of numbers, but it's safe to say that more and more evidence is placing Wii U alongside Xbox 360 and PS3 versus a drastic leap over the current generation. Developers are definitely coming to terms with what Nintendo's new system will be capable of, but it's also clear that Nintendo's divergent approach has once again focused on finding innovation in control and software versus attempting to compete in terms of raw power."

[font="'helvetica neue', helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]http://www.ign.com/articl...-gpu-details-uncovered
[font="'helvetica neue', helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]

[font="'helvetica neue', helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]And

[font="'helvetica neue', helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]http://kotaku.com/5961547...ory-and-speed-revealed

[font="'helvetica neue', helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]http://www.nowgamer.com/n...ro_last_light_dev.html

[font="'helvetica neue', helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Plus:

"Shishkovtsov's quote sparked much debate online about the impact of the Wii U'S IBM PowerPC processor. Wii U developers Eurogamer spoke to for a wide-ranging investigation into the power of the console ahead of its release told us the clock speed offered by it is slower than that of the PS3 and Xbox 360's CPU.
At the Tokyo Game Show in September, Akihiro Suzuki, producer of the Dynasty Warriors franchise, told Eurogamer the performance of the Wii U version of Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper was impacted by it.
"For games in the Warriors series, including Dynasty Warriors and Warriors Orochi, when you have a lot of enemies coming at you at once, the performance tends to be affected because of the CPU,” he said.
"Dealing with that is a challenge."
Last night Gustav Halling, lead designer on Battlefield 3: Armored Kill at Swedish studio DICE, backed up Shishkovtsov, saying on Twitter he was concerned about the impact the next Xbox and PlayStation will have on the Wii U and "annoyed" that Nintendo "don't think ahead at all".
“This is also what I been hearing within the industry, too bad since it will shorten its life a lot when new gen starts,” he said.
Then: “GPU and RAM is nice to have shaders/textures loaded. Physics and gameplay run on CPU mostly so player count is affected etc.”
“I don't actually know what makes it slow, but enough 'tech' people I trust in world are saying the same things.”
Maybe you've missed all this info wearing Nintendo colored glasses?

ZombieNinjaPanda
  • Total Posts : 11431
Re:Wii U post-purchase first impressions thread - Tuesday, January 01, 2013 8:46 PM
I see a Kotaku link in there. Any argument using Kotaku is invalid.

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 40 of 80 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version