When Did You Become a Man?

MidnytRain
  • Total Posts : 3482
  • Reward points : 0
When Did You Become a Man? - Wednesday, January 02, 2013 11:26 AM
The thead title says it all. At what point did you consider yourself to be a man? I turned 18 a couple months ago and I don't see myself a man. LEGALLY, yes, but I look at the things I do, the things I say, how I act, etc - and I think, "Dang, man, I ain't no man. I'm a boy! And that's just fine. ;) But I digress, when was your "time?"

acemonkey
  • Total Posts : 3026
Re:When Did You Become a Man? - Wednesday, January 02, 2013 11:37 AM
i believe in most people eyes 16

Law all depends on what crime you made then you can be charge as an adult lol

but i would say start ill start treating my nephews as adults around 16

but 18-21 your adult since you can do everything and buy everything lol....but i know 10yrs that have their **** together then most 30yr olds lol

Nate-Dog
  • Total Posts : 2076
Re:When Did You Become a Man? - Wednesday, January 02, 2013 11:56 AM
Probably still not yet. I only got my first job a few months ago and it was only temporary and I don't look like being anywhere near moving into my own house or even being able to help pay much of the bills here for a good while in my parent's house. Also never really been in a real relationship. I'm 21 though. Guess it just depends on your own idea of what it means to be an adult.

-Mezzo-
  • Total Posts : 2862
Re:When Did You Become a Man? - Wednesday, January 02, 2013 11:58 AM
EDIT: Ohh, we're talking about something else.

I read the title and shared a different type of "Becoming a man" story. :P
<message edited by -Mezzo- on Wednesday, January 02, 2013 12:05 PM>

I'm Trolling For 'Tears'

Kenshin_BATT0USAI
  • Total Posts : 10816
Re:When Did You Become a Man? - Wednesday, January 02, 2013 12:04 PM
I'd say a boy becomes a man when they can handle actual responsibility. I mean stuff that pertains to the well being of others, not oneself.

I.e. When you're working to help pay bills where you live, or pay for medical costs for a family member. Or when you first begin to live away from what you called home with someone(s) who aren't your blood relatives.

So I guess my mindset is of age makes no difference, it's about your life situation and how you handle it that says if you're an adult or not.
<message edited by Vashlion on Wednesday, January 02, 2013 12:06 PM>
Formerly Known as Hellbringer. PSN: KenshinBATT0USAI 3DS: 2895-6892-5663 Steam: Vashlion

tdogchristy90
  • Total Posts : 481
Re:When Did You Become a Man? - Wednesday, January 02, 2013 12:15 PM
I think it's a matter of perspective and how you deal with situations. Oximetry places manhood as being 18 moving out of the house and being independent. Yet those same people can be financially unstable, having unwanted children, and drinking irresponsibly. You also have those that serve out country and others that would rather run to Canada. There are also those that still live at home yet unlike their peers are financially stable, don't get in trouble, ect. So it's a matter of doing what is asked of you and how you handle situations. There are plenty of ''men" who curleup in the fetal position when things happen. 

Whoooop
  • Total Posts : 5653
Re:When Did You Become a Man? - Wednesday, January 02, 2013 12:31 PM
I guess Kon can't comment on this thread yet.

ZombieNinjaPanda
  • Total Posts : 11431
Re:When Did You Become a Man? - Wednesday, January 02, 2013 12:40 PM

Eiffel
  • Total Posts : 11832
Re:When Did You Become a Man? - Wednesday, January 02, 2013 12:47 PM
A subjective title, but it's all about how you see yourself based on your actions and how you handle situations in my opinion. A man has humility, is not selfish, a protector, caring, makes correct moral decisions, often when faced with a gray decision understands both sides to an issue and chooses best based on the outcome, and the ability to take care of ones self independently. 

Since I was 18 I've been on my own, keeping a job and managing freelance graphic work while at the same time staying up late nights to work on college projects and maintain  a 3.0-4.0 GPA, while making time for my girlfriend which was a hassle at the start even when she was living with me. When I turned 19 I decided I wanted to start my own animation studio, which has been quite a big decision to handle with leasing payments in hindsight to what my progressing classes demanded from me. Had my moments of doubt and the recent issue of watching my father who supported me since I watched him draw in his own studio die of cancer in front of my eyes, making a promise to him that I wouldn't **** up my life, and do what I can to progress in my career. 

I still have a lot to learn, but I feel so far I'm not too shabby with multi tasking life. 

MyCarAndMyGuitar
  • Total Posts : 42
Re:When Did You Become a Man? - Wednesday, January 02, 2013 12:50 PM
Are gays considered men?

ZombieNinjaPanda
Re:When Did You Become a Man? - Wednesday, January 02, 2013 1:16 PM
MyCarAndMyGuitar

Are gays considered men?

Tensi, you're drunk. Go home.

MidnytRain
Re:When Did You Become a Man? - Wednesday, January 02, 2013 1:20 PM
Eiffel

A subjective title, but it's all about how you see yourself based on your actions and how you handle situations in my opinion. A man has humility, is not selfish, a protector, caring, makes correct moral decisions, often when faced with a gray decision understands both sides to an issue and chooses best based on the outcome, and the ability to take care of ones self independently. 

Since I was 18 I've been on my own, keeping a job and managing freelance graphic work while at the same time staying up late nights to work on college projects and maintain  a 3.0-4.0 GPA, while making time for my girlfriend which was a hassle at the start even when she was living with me. When I turned 19 I decided I wanted to start my own animation studio, which has been quite a big decision to handle with leasing payments in hindsight to what my progressing classes demanded from me. Had my moments of doubt and the recent issue of watching my father who supported me since I watched him draw in his own studio die of cancer in front of my eyes, making a promise to him that I wouldn't **** up my life, and do what I can to progress in my career. 

I still have a lot to learn, but I feel so far I'm not too shabby with multi tasking life. 

First, OMG, ZombieNinjaPanda I LOVE that song. Eiffel, with that said, do you consider yourself a man? 

flip-it3
  • Total Posts : 6628
Re:When Did You Become a Man? - Wednesday, January 02, 2013 1:24 PM
-Mezzo-

lol I was thinking the same thing then I skimmed through then I started to feel bad for some people just looking at the ages posted til I actually read it lol

MidnytRain
Re:When Did You Become a Man? - Wednesday, January 02, 2013 1:42 PM
flip-it3

-Mezzo-

lol I was thinking the same thing then I skimmed through then I started to feel bad for some people just looking at the ages posted til I actually read it lol

You guys are frickin' nasty, lol.

Eiffel
  • Total Posts : 11832
Re:When Did You Become a Man? - Wednesday, January 02, 2013 2:02 PM
MidnytRain

First, OMG, ZombieNinjaPanda I LOVE that song. Eiffel, with that said, do you consider yourself a man? 

Well I'm cynical, pessimistic, and an overall ****. I act responsibly with business, clients, general public but privately I'm different. My brother is the same way, though his path is a lot different than mine. He's a sports jock turned military man and I'm a child engineer turned professional artist, growing up together was very tense as you can guess. 

Given what he's had to do and give up so much for the sake of his family, he's a man in my opinion. I don't believe I've reached a point to call myself a man, it's a life of lessons to become that, and it's not really something you can label yourself. 

thebudgetgamer
  • Total Posts : 6958
Re:When Did You Become a Man? - Wednesday, January 02, 2013 2:03 PM

MidnytRain
Re:When Did You Become a Man? - Wednesday, January 02, 2013 2:06 PM
Eiffel

Well I'm cynical, pessimistic, and an overall ****. I act responsibly with business, clients, general public but privately I'm different. My brother is the same way, though his path is a lot different than mine. He's a sports jock turned military man and I'm a child engineer turned professional artist, growing up together was very tense as you can guess. 

Given what he's had to do and give up so much for the sake of his family, he's a man in my opinion. I don't believe I've reached a point to call myself a man, it's a life of lessons to become that, and it's not really something you can label yourself. 

I asked because some people would argue the exact "requirements."

wishingW3L
  • Total Posts : 1091
Re:When Did You Become a Man? - Wednesday, January 02, 2013 2:10 PM

being a man these days is all about working like a slave to pay the bills and have wild intercourse with a babe.

WildArmed
  • Total Posts : 10057
Re:When Did You Become a Man? - Wednesday, January 02, 2013 2:20 PM
-Mezzo-

lol that sounds equally interesting. 

UnSelf
  • Total Posts : 2569
Re:When Did You Become a Man? - Wednesday, January 02, 2013 2:38 PM
Yesterday, no today. Damn the days are starting to blend together. Aw man

ZombieNinjaPanda
Re:When Did You Become a Man? - Wednesday, January 02, 2013 2:45 PM
wishingW3L

being a man these days is all about working like a slave to pay the bills and have wild intercourse with a babe.

What a terrible existence we've been thrust into. 

macalatus
  • Total Posts : 5509
Re:When Did You Become a Man? - Sunday, January 20, 2013 7:39 PM
...the moment I had a Y chromosome. 
Gen. George Patton FTW! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyUX6wV1lBQ     

If you're reading this, you have got to be bored!

MidnytRain
Re:When Did You Become a Man? - Sunday, January 20, 2013 10:36 PM
Maybe it's when you can do this after a tennis match and people cheer for you: 

<message edited by MidnytRain on Sunday, January 20, 2013 11:01 PM>

MidnytRain
Re:When Did You Become a Man? - Sunday, January 20, 2013 10:38 PM

<message edited by MidnytRain on Sunday, January 20, 2013 10:45 PM>

feels
  • Total Posts : 49
Re:When Did You Become a Man? - Monday, January 21, 2013 12:00 PM
To be the man, you gotta beat the man! Woooooooooooooooo!

redDevil87
  • Total Posts : 8354
Re:When Did You Become a Man? - Monday, January 21, 2013 12:13 PM
NatureBoyWoooooo

UnSelf
  • Total Posts : 2569
Re:When Did You Become a Man? - Monday, January 21, 2013 12:47 PM
NatureBoyWoooooo

This is why I joined N4G.

Friends?

sjaakiejj
  • Total Posts : 858
Re:When Did You Become a Man? - Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:37 AM
It's not really a black and white thing, and you may consider yourself a man in certain aspects of your life and a boy in others. For instance, in terms of responsibility and intellect I'd consider myself a man, but socially I would consider myself a boy who has a lot left to learn.
"I dont need to read Sonys technical crap, its for the fanboys who believe 6 year old tech is still some super computer lol. "

^^
Front-pagers are funny

MidnytRain
Re:When Did You Become a Man? - Tuesday, January 22, 2013 1:22 PM
sjaakiejj

It's not really a black and white thing, and you may consider yourself a man in certain aspects of your life and a boy in others. For instance, in terms of responsibility and intellect I'd consider myself a man, but socially I would consider myself a boy who has a lot left to learn.

What do you mean "socially"?

sjaakiejj
  • Total Posts : 858
Re:When Did You Become a Man? - Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:18 AM
MidnytRain

sjaakiejj

I feel that "becoming a man" is reflected in your confidence in different areas of your life. What that means exactly depends on the area of your life you look at. Socially, I would say it comes down to how well you form new social connections, how good you are at understanding signals and body language, how comfortable you are with women and how well people are able to connect with you on an emotional or intellectual level. In my eyes, you're only a man socially if you are able to get the best out of the people you are around - friends and strangers alike. I have some ways to go there.

"I dont need to read Sonys technical crap, its for the fanboys who believe 6 year old tech is still some super computer lol. "

^^
Front-pagers are funny

Kon
  • Total Posts : 10858
Re:When Did You Become a Man? - Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:34 AM
I'm not a man yet.
Stop Cyberbullying!

MidnytRain
Re:When Did You Become a Man? - Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:58 PM
sjaakiejj

MidnytRain

sjaakiejj

I feel that "becoming a man" is reflected in your confidence in different areas of your life. What that means exactly depends on the area of your life you look at. Socially, I would say it comes down to how well you form new social connections, how good you are at understanding signals and body language, how comfortable you are with women and how well people are able to connect with you on an emotional or intellectual level. In my eyes, you're only a man socially if you are able to get the best out of the people you are around - friends and strangers alike. I have some ways to go there.

That sounds like more work than what it's worth. Guess that shows where I am. :)