PS3 repairs.

Rane-StP
  • Total Posts : 320
  • Reward points : 0
PS3 repairs. - Wednesday, January 09, 2013 1:17 AM
 Just wondering if anyone here has any experience repairing PS3's. I have an 80 gig model, and it won't play games or movies. When installing a disk, it doesn't seem to do anything at all, so I was just wondering if anyone here can help or point me to any really good videos on how to repair or even replace the drive. I have tried all the basic things from using canned air, restoring it, etc.. still no go.

TheNocturnus
  • Total Posts : 4403
Re:PS3 repairs. - Wednesday, January 09, 2013 1:24 AM
Rane-StP

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience repairing PS3's. I have an 80 gig model, and it won't play games or movies. When installing a disk, it doesn't seem to do anything at all, so I was just wondering if anyone here can help or point me to any really good videos on how to repair or even replace the drive. I have tried all the basic things from using canned air, restoring it, etc.. still no go.

Yeah, I have repaired a few PS3's. The ones that I fixed usually had the YLOD or the blinking red light though. Sounds to me like your laser went out. You can buy a new laser off of ebay for between $30-40 bucks. You just need to make sure to get the correct one for the Blu Ray drive that is in your console. Each drive is paired to the motherboard so a new drive would be useless unless you know how to flash it. 

Honestly, if you are not very handy with electronics, you might be better off taking it to a repair shop and have them do it. It is time consuming and takes patience and the right tools to fix any electronic device.

If you decide that you are capable of doing it yourself, let me know via PM and I will help you as much as I can because I am a nice guy and have a lot of time on my hands.

Rane-StP
Re:PS3 repairs. - Wednesday, January 09, 2013 1:43 AM
 Thank you. I do fancy myself somewhat handy with electronics, though most have been building and repairing PC's, and of course the occasional minor programming repair that friends don't know how to do, so I wouldn't mind a crack at doing this. I have a lot of time on my hands as well, thus the decision to try repairing this myself. Everything else works on it fine, just won't do what I stated above. I look forward to talking to you Nocturnus32. I appreciate your help.

acemonkey
  • Total Posts : 3092
Re:PS3 repairs. - Wednesday, January 09, 2013 8:37 AM
Thermal tube and heat gun

Rane-StP
Re:PS3 repairs. - Wednesday, January 09, 2013 9:09 AM
 Somehow I doubt thermal paste and a heatgun are going to fix a Blu Ray drive, but thanks for the tip.

AuToFiRE
  • Total Posts : 11591
Re:PS3 repairs. - Wednesday, January 09, 2013 9:21 AM
Rane-StP

dead laser, bout $70 for the drive, simple fix if you have the tamper resistant torx bit to remove the cover plate.

RSI: AuTo   
Feel free to add me, just let me know you are from N4G
@cl1983 No.

acemonkey
  • Total Posts : 3092
Re:PS3 repairs. - Wednesday, January 09, 2013 10:05 AM
Rane-StP

Somehow I doubt thermal paste and a heatgun are going to fix a Blu Ray drive, but thanks for the tip.

didnt read that part just saw PS3 repairs lol...but yeah i would say buy a new ps3....them fats die...my died after 5 years..idk how long you have your fat for

Rane-StP
Re:PS3 repairs. - Wednesday, January 09, 2013 12:11 PM
 Since launch, and as I said, everything still works on it except the drive, so I'd like a crack at repairing it anyway. If it does YLOD on me after, then I'll get another PS3. Autofire, I'm sure I have one, if not I will make one out an existing torx bit. Pretty simple to do.