Why Do Movies Have Such Weak, Unoriginal Stories?

MidnytRain
  • Total Posts : 3406
  • Reward points : 0
Why Do Movies Have Such Weak, Unoriginal Stories? - Saturday, January 19, 2013 5:09 PM
I haven't been particularly excited to go the movies in ages. This is because the premise of the movies I see in trailers are never interesting or engaging enough to warrant my attention. That's not to say these movies are bad. In fact many are extremely well-made with stellar actors. But why do their stories so often fall short when it comes to a medium like novels. I use books as a comparison because I've read plenty with very interesting and at least semi-original ideas and plots. Most movies, on the other hand (particularly of the action variety), tend to be samey and uninspired. I realize that books have more room to tell a story than a movie, but that shouldn't mean that the plots of the latter necessarily have to be so much more generic and flimsier. Is it just Hollywood trying to make a buck by throwing all their attention at special effects? Is there more to be found in indie films? I'm not saying all movies are like this, but it seems more and more aren't worth the admission.

PeeWizzle
  • Total Posts : 2853
Re:Why Do Movies Have Such Weak, Unoriginal Stories? - Saturday, January 19, 2013 5:14 PM
Most audiences don't want to watch something that will challenge them. Easy to digest films are what brings the money in.  And yes, you will find more interesting plots and ideas in indie films. If you want to watch something non-conventional give Enter the Void a try.   
My soul is still dancing.  

Whoooop
  • Total Posts : 5653
Re:Why Do Movies Have Such Weak, Unoriginal Stories? - Saturday, January 19, 2013 5:16 PM
You're talking about compressing a fleshed out novel into a 2 hour movie (average), it's insane.  We should be glad that there are directors and writers out there who can do wonders in that short time.  Also, you should expand your horizons a bit (if you haven't already) with foreign and independent content, and you will find enough quality adapted and original stories.

<message edited by Whoooop on Saturday, January 19, 2013 5:17 PM>

MidnytRain
Re:Why Do Movies Have Such Weak, Unoriginal Stories? - Saturday, January 19, 2013 9:27 PM
Whoooop

You're talking about compressing a fleshed out novel into a 2 hour movie (average), it's insane.  We should be glad that there are directors and writers out there who can do wonders in that short time.  Also, you should expand your horizons a bit (if you haven't already) with foreign and independent content, and you will find enough quality adapted and original stories.

I addressed both of the points you mentioned. But it seems I will have to check out some indie films. Any suggestions? PeeWizzle's already given me one to look at.

Whoooop
  • Total Posts : 5653
Re:Why Do Movies Have Such Weak, Unoriginal Stories? - Saturday, January 19, 2013 11:08 PM
MidnytRain

Whoooop

I addressed both of the points you mentioned. But it seems I will have to check out some indie films. Any suggestions? PeeWizzle's already given me one to look at.

I know you mentioned those points, but it must be stressed how important it is to understand that movies are ridiculously limited compared to books/novels.

Anyway, you should check out this thread in which you can find enough movies that might interest you.  I will suggest a few so you can start with those if you haven't seen them.

Carnage
The Hunter
Michael
50/50
Robot and Frank
Win win
Animal Kingdom
Buried
Take Shelter
etc.

There are also so many great foreign movies, it's a crime not to watch at least a few. 

<message edited by Whoooop on Saturday, January 19, 2013 11:10 PM>

MidnytRain
Re:Why Do Movies Have Such Weak, Unoriginal Stories? - Sunday, January 20, 2013 5:08 PM
richareston4

I will suggest a few so you can start with those if you haven't seen them.  

Were you going anywhere with that? lol

redDevil87
  • Total Posts : 8354
Re:Why Do Movies Have Such Weak, Unoriginal Stories? - Sunday, January 20, 2013 5:33 PM
Hollywood is going through some financial difficulties at the moment, i think they can't afford to take too many risks, storywise. They need to play it safe at this moment in time to keep people coming to the cinemas.

There's a thread we have, an independent film thread. Fuk the search function, maybe someone knows the thread and can link it for you.

Some of the original and interesting films i've seen recently, or in the past:

<message edited by redDevil87 on Sunday, January 20, 2013 5:35 PM>

Rage_S90
  • Total Posts : 7899
Re:Why Do Movies Have Such Weak, Unoriginal Stories? - Sunday, January 20, 2013 5:40 PM
Hollywood movies do, but there are plenty outside of it that don't. I rarely watch most hollywood type movies anymore, their all so boring and predictable, they follow exactly the same formula.

/Hipster mode

Irishguy95
  • Total Posts : 578
Re:Why Do Movies Have Such Weak, Unoriginal Stories? - Sunday, January 20, 2013 5:53 PM
Happens in every medium. So long as they get the reviews and sales - Why would they bother trying something original? See - James Cameron's Avatar and Naughty Dogs Uncharted series/. They're just playing it safe and showing tried and tested stories in a new setting. There are movies with originality, you just have to look for them. You like anime judging by the Avatar/sig, so at least you have 1 thing with originality, but even again, take Naruto. It's not particularly original is it? You have the setting and combat scenarios, but...the story is typical and predictable by now(even if at times it was unpredictable). Naruto is one of the most popular Anime/manga right now. Even with it's unoriginal story. It's quite sad knowing you can predict the ending before it happens but that's what playing it safe is. Even if an author or writer wants to do something original, their editors and boss don't want them to take the risk. Take Prometheus for example...Scott was forced to make in Pg13 or whatever instead of 18's, he wanted to make a new sci fi film, his bosses wanted him to make something to do with Alien. Originality is cut down when alot of money is involved.

ZombieNinjaPanda
  • Total Posts : 11431
Re:Why Do Movies Have Such Weak, Unoriginal Stories? - Sunday, January 20, 2013 5:58 PM
Because, like video games, these people are only interested in making money. So therefore they stick with the generic, story-lines that are guaranteed to reimburse them on the amount of money they spent on the movie, hoping that it will make them a profit.

coolbeans
  • Total Posts : 3220
Re:Why Do Movies Have Such Weak, Unoriginal Stories? - Sunday, January 20, 2013 6:19 PM
Like video games, the format allows more ways to elevate it.  Books can only rely on originality/imagination, themes, storytelling, and prose (there's a few more factors but you get the point).  Movies have cinematography, special effects, acting, directing, etc. to mitigate a generic story.  

Edit:

Irishguy95

Take Prometheus for example...Scott was forced to make in Pg13 or whatever instead of 18's, he wanted to make a new sci fi film, his bosses wanted him to make something to do with Alien. Originality is cut down when alot of money is involved. 

Really? Wow...the movie probably would've been much better if it went a more original route (I'd give it a 6).
<message edited by coolbeans on Sunday, January 20, 2013 6:21 PM>

munnatv
  • Total Posts : 12
Re:Why Do Movies Have Such Weak, Unoriginal Stories? - Monday, January 21, 2013 1:59 PM
The last movie that had really good story line was Johnny English Reborn :D Lol i know but it was way to funyy