Kaz Hirai: MS can make the first move . . .

redDevil87
  • Total Posts : 8354
  • Reward points : 0
Kaz Hirai: MS can make the first move . . . - Monday, January 21, 2013 1:56 PM
So this might surprise people. Kaz Hirai has come out and said Sony will let MS make the first move on revealing their new console:

You may have noticed that there are lots of rumours flying about regarding next-gen consoles. No one knows definitely when Microsoft and Sony will unveil their successors to the current Xbox and PlayStation, but Sony CEO Kazuo Hirai has said that it will let Microsoft make the first move.

In the Business section of The Times today, Hirai said, "Why go first, when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?"

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/01/21/ps4-sony-will-let-microsoft-make-first-move

So is this suicide from Sony, or are they playing it smart? This gen giving MS a year long head start started Sony of in a very poor position, of course the $600 price tag was a bigger issue, but coming out last didn't help. Maybe they're waiting to see their rival's specs and future plans, who knows.

Of course this comment could mean nothing but from a gamers point of view it's just making the wait for next gen consoles more interesting. .  

Rane-StP
  • Total Posts : 320
Re:Kaz Hirai: MS can make the first move . . . - Monday, January 21, 2013 2:00 PM
 Don't really see a point to them letting Microsoft announce theirs first, it's not like they can change anything last minute, unless they want to wait to launch the PS4 a year later like the PS3.

B Man
  • Total Posts : 8468
Re:Kaz Hirai: MS can make the first move . . . - Monday, January 21, 2013 2:00 PM
Well that's basically what they did last time, and it seemed to do fine for Sony.  Though I can't imagine them really heavily adjusting their console based off of the next Xbox... especially if the rumours of the PS4 being more powerful are true.

moegooner88
  • Total Posts : 2042
Re:Kaz Hirai: MS can make the first move . . . - Monday, January 21, 2013 2:09 PM
Power isn't everything, otherwise the original Xbox, and Gamecube should have crushed the PS2, pricing, games, and accessibility also matter, other than pricing there is nothing that Sony can change at the last minute following next Xbox announcement. Besides, Sony /Kaz changes its stance too much, always contradicting "its" previous statements .
<message edited by moegooner88 on Monday, January 21, 2013 2:11 PM>

Kon
  • Total Posts : 10868
Re:Kaz Hirai: MS can make the first move . . . - Monday, January 21, 2013 2:10 PM
I can see this worked well with the PS3... lol.
Stop Cyberbullying!

MidnytRain
  • Total Posts : 3497
Re:Kaz Hirai: MS can make the first move . . . - Monday, January 21, 2013 2:17 PM
I think the high price and lack of launch titles hurt the PS3's launch.

ZombieNinjaPanda
  • Total Posts : 11431
Re:Kaz Hirai: MS can make the first move . . . - Monday, January 21, 2013 2:31 PM
Rane-StP

Don't really see a point to them letting Microsoft announce theirs first, it's not like they can change anything last minute, unless they want to wait to launch the PS4 a year later like the PS3.

This. It's not like Sony is gonna announce it, then Microsoft will change their model last second to best it whatever which way. It doesn't work like that. Sometimes I wonder what is Kaz smoking. He doesn't seem competent at times.

thebudgetgamer
  • Total Posts : 6958
Re:Kaz Hirai: MS can make the first move . . . - Monday, January 21, 2013 2:36 PM
Kon

I can see this worked well with the PS3... lol.

Yea it's a tragedy when a company can only sell eighty plus million consoles in a crap economy and stiff cheaper competition.

Solid_Snake
  • Total Posts : 2620
Re:Kaz Hirai: MS can make the first move . . . - Monday, January 21, 2013 3:18 PM
Not that big of a deal. He is essentialy speaking of the announcement. Tbey probably already have a launch time frame, and i dont see them changing it - probably november of this year.  Why announce first. You generally want to see how you can differentiate your product. If MS announces first, sony can get on a stage a month or 2 later and explain why their console is different/better.  Plus, you can steal their thunder. Youll have people talking abput you without worrying about being trumped in the news. Games, and every other product do this. Not sure how this is surprising to anyone.
MAKE ME FEEL ALIVE

TheRot
  • Total Posts : 3443
Re:Kaz Hirai: MS can make the first move . . . - Monday, January 21, 2013 3:52 PM
@budget i am pretty sure the ps3 didn't beat the wii also it was in 3rd place for 6 years.

thebudgetgamer
Re:Kaz Hirai: MS can make the first move . . . - Monday, January 21, 2013 3:57 PM

TheRot

@budget i am pretty sure the ps3 didn't beat the wii also it was in 3rd place for 6 years.

Where did I write that they beat anyone or what place they are in, that's your own console war thinking. Kon is making it seem like they only sold twenty or so million consoles.

Kon
Re:Kaz Hirai: MS can make the first move . . . - Monday, January 21, 2013 3:58 PM
TheRot

Also Sony loses $36 per PS3, they are the losers of this gen in every single aspect.
Stop Cyberbullying!

TheRot
Re:Kaz Hirai: MS can make the first move . . . - Monday, January 21, 2013 4:01 PM
well it is a tragedy they went from 1st place and vastly outselling the xbox and gamecube to barely outselling the x-box 360 and not making a profit in about 4 years http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/18/sony-expected-to-turn-first-profit-since-2008

thebudgetgamer
Re:Kaz Hirai: MS can make the first move . . . - Monday, January 21, 2013 4:01 PM
Kon

TheRot

Also Sony loses $36 per PS3, they are the losers of this gen in every single aspect.

That makes me so angry when I think that they didn't decide to build their consoles out of spare parts they found in the warehouse.

TheRot

well it is a tragedy they went from 1st place and vastly outselling the xbox and gamecube to barely outselling the x-box 360 and not making a profit in about 4 years http://www.ign.com/articl...rofit-since-2008 

That's how it works in the console business some times you're on top other times you're not. Atari was on top and fell, Nintendo was on top and fell, Sega was on top and they fell. The big difference is Sony's worst generation will end up with them selling close to one hundred million units.

I for on am glad Nintendo and Microsoft did so well this gen as it forced Sony to not be complacent anymore.
<message edited by thebudgetgamer on Monday, January 21, 2013 4:08 PM>

moegooner88
  • Total Posts : 2042
Re:Kaz Hirai: MS can make the first move . . . - Monday, January 21, 2013 4:04 PM
TheRot

well it is a tragedy they went from 1st place and vastly outselling the xbox and gamecube to barely outselling the x-box 360 and not making a profit in about 4 years http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/18/sony-expected-to-turn-first-profit-since-2008

Stop derailing the thread, no one takes you seriously anyway, so don't bother wasting your time here.

cgoodno
  • Total Posts : 3429
Re:Kaz Hirai: MS can make the first move . . . - Monday, January 21, 2013 4:11 PM
ZombieNinjaPanda
Rane-StP
This. It's not like Sony is gonna announce it, then Microsoft will change their model last second to best it whatever which way. It doesn't work like that. Sometimes I wonder what is Kaz smoking. He doesn't seem competent at times.
The _only_ thing I see it gains them is being able to downplay any possible weaknesses of the other when announcing it.  Otherwise, yeah, no point here.  Not releasing in the same 2 or 3 month period is more important here.  Don't let MS beat you to the punch again.  That hurt the heck out of you this gen.

Rage_S90
  • Total Posts : 7899
Re:Kaz Hirai: MS can make the first move . . . - Monday, January 21, 2013 4:12 PM
:) I see the little trolls have come out to play. 

OT: I think this is simply misdirection, If you have followed the next gen race as close as i have you'll know that the specs are pretty much nailed down. If i recall final dev kits for the orbis were going out in jan. 

SmokeyMcBear
  • Total Posts : 14750
Re:Kaz Hirai: MS can make the first move . . . - Monday, January 21, 2013 4:13 PM
kon is right, except for sales, with a year head start.

All work and no play.. makes odion go something something

TheRot
Re:Kaz Hirai: MS can make the first move . . . - Monday, January 21, 2013 4:14 PM
yeah and they still went 4 years without making a profit that's obviously bad, instead of trying to beat microsoft on a technical level they should make an affordable console and have better advertisement. worrying about micfosofts specs is useless.

Rage_S90
  • Total Posts : 7899
Re:Kaz Hirai: MS can make the first move . . . - Monday, January 21, 2013 4:19 PM
Lol the ps3 did terribly.....but they still beat microsoft  

Man ms really suck. 

Whoooop
  • Total Posts : 5653
Re:Kaz Hirai: MS can make the first move . . . - Monday, January 21, 2013 4:45 PM
Just reveal the damn thing already.

Ducky
  • Total Posts : 2359
Re:Kaz Hirai: MS can make the first move . . . - Monday, January 21, 2013 4:46 PM
thebudgetgamer

Yea it's a tragedy when a company can only sell eighty plus million consoles in a crap economy and stiff cheaper competition. 

Percentages and rates are usually preferred over using absolute numbers. Saying something sold X units is meaningless without knowing how much the competition sold, and how much growth the company itself generated. 

In the PS3's case, it did worse than it's previous incarnations and lost a big chunk of its market share, while both it's competitors experienced growth. So Sony's strategy with the PS3 didn't really work out that well for them.
<message edited by FatOldMan on Monday, January 21, 2013 4:52 PM>

SmokeyMcBear
  • Total Posts : 14750
Re:Kaz Hirai: MS can make the first move . . . - Monday, January 21, 2013 5:12 PM
Actually, I think that it just really points out how miserable the competition was doing previously.

All work and no play.. makes odion go something something

SanMarco
  • Total Posts : 988
Re:Kaz Hirai: MS can make the first move . . . - Monday, January 21, 2013 8:52 PM
Rage_S90

Man ms really suck. 

Indeed
PSN: Mr_Mojo__Risin-

UnSelf
  • Total Posts : 2569
Re:Kaz Hirai: MS can make the first move . . . - Monday, January 21, 2013 9:05 PM
SanMarco

Rage_S90

Man ms really suck. 

Indeed

Yup

murieljones5
  • Total Posts : 9
Re:Kaz Hirai: MS can make the first move . . . - Monday, January 21, 2013 9:13 PM
I'm excited to see what people will come up with.  

Kenshin_BATT0USAI
  • Total Posts : 10816
Re:Kaz Hirai: MS can make the first move . . . - Monday, January 21, 2013 11:51 PM
It's all about launch line-up and price.

If they want to wait for their launch line-up upon release to be strong with a good price point I can understand. As for waiting for Microsoft to talk first, sounds like he's talking trash, these things are mass produced a year in advance. There is definitely no chance they will redesign based on microsoft's announcement. Stupid Kaz is just talking trash.
Formerly Known as Hellbringer. PSN: KenshinBATT0USAI 3DS: 2895-6892-5663 Steam: Vashlion

Kon
Re:Kaz Hirai: MS can make the first move . . . - Tuesday, January 22, 2013 12:11 AM
Shiiiit i just realized what will happen. Since he told MS to release early, MS will hold the console until Sony releases first, but Sony won't release first, this means we will never see next gen consoles.
Stop Cyberbullying!

Satanas
  • Total Posts : 13047
Re:Kaz Hirai: MS can make the first move . . . - Tuesday, January 22, 2013 12:15 AM
Kon

Shiiiit i just realized what will happen. Since he told MS to release early, MS will hold the console until Sony releases first, but Sony won't release first, this means we will never see next gen consoles.

Someone is going to get tricky and fabricate specifications

MS will release the specs of their new Xbox 720 only to have Sony retaliate with their PS4Orbis specs, where in turn Microsoft will then reveal that the Xbox 720 was never to be released and that the Xbox 1000030 is landing this holiday season. Checkmate MS

NeverEnding1989
  • Total Posts : 666
Re:Kaz Hirai: MS can make the first move . . . - Tuesday, January 22, 2013 10:28 AM
FatOldMan

In the PS3's case, it did worse than it's previous incarnations and lost a big chunk of its market share, while both it's competitors experienced growth. So Sony's strategy with the PS3 didn't really work out that well for them.

People seem to ignore this. SONY is looking to (re)grow i.e. attract investors. Are investors interested in a company that has lost 50% of its market share? Of course not. It'll be an uphill battle for SONY to return to its once powerful place in the gaming industry. 

ITT: Relates to my point above. It's disheartening to see the once mighty SONY following M$'s footsteps; the youngster of console wars. It would be a good move for them, but it's obvious they've lost their cocky attitude and now have the humble, cautious attitude of being in last place.

<message edited by NeverEnding1989 on Tuesday, January 22, 2013 10:29 AM>

Welcome to next gen:

Picnic
  • Total Posts : 165
Re:Kaz Hirai: MS can make the first move . . . - Wednesday, January 23, 2013 7:35 AM
Sony got comfortable following Sega . Sega Saturn launch is closely followed by PS1. Dreamcast launch is followed by PS2 launch. Sega only sold about 10 million of each, Sony sold many tens of millions.

Then Microsoft made things harder. Xbox360 launched first. But this time the console before it, the Xbox had sold pretty successfully for a new entrant (24 million +, slightly more than the Gamecube apparently). And Microsoft weren't about to do a Sega by only managing to sell 24 million Xbox360s. They got very 'user friendly'. Their games and presentation became a bit.. cuddlier and more professional, less needing to shout about raw power now that they'd got noticed. But it was also a taste of the future to be able to play HD games for the first time. With Rare now releasing more games and the Wii not impressing some long term gamers, the Xbox360 probably attracted a fair few Gamecube players. The Kinect will have also helped to cement that the Xbox360 had something for you if you were traditionally a Nintendo kind of player.

Sony can't allow such a long gap between the 2 consoles being launched this time. The Move, a fine concept in its own right, had a sense of desperation at the time which it could have avoided if it had launched it first as they had already used part of its set up, the motion control camera, with the PS2. 
And Sony won't get by just relying on shallow 'cinematic' types of games to start with. People really started to buy the PS3 when it had a good mix of arty and fun games.  

<message edited by Picnic on Wednesday, January 23, 2013 7:39 AM>