Are you actually done with current gen consoles?

CanadianTurtle
  • Total Posts : 85
  • Reward points : 0
Are you actually done with current gen consoles? - Thursday, January 24, 2013 10:30 AM
My friend and I have been discussing about this, and I actually want to know what opinions you guys have. Everyone is raving about "next gen this, next gen that." But how many of you can safely say that you're finished and had enough fun with the current gen consoles? I mean, I've played a large amount of games released this gen on my PS3, and I still feel like I'm not ready to move on with it. I can still name quite a lot of great games that will keep me engaged that I haven't played yet. Even though I've played quite a lot of games, I still feel as if I haven't gotten the fullest experience out of my PS3. Therefore I'm not ready to move on just yet. 

For those who are super excited about next gen consoles. Can I ask, why? Did you really play everything that you wanted and did you get the fullest experience out of this generation? Or are there still games out there that you are willing to play? Or am I missing something here? Is everyone excited about the announcements of new consoles just for the sake of them being announced, or because you actually want purchase them?

My plan is to juice out my PS3 for the next 5 years or so, and play pretty much every game that interests me enough this generation. I don't plan on getting next gen consoles during the "release year." My plan is to wait until the new consoles are out on the market for about 4 years. That will give enough time for the consoles to build up a good catalog of games to play. Plus, it gives you a better understanding of which console  you want to buy because of the available exclusives. I mean, look what happened to the PS3. Who would ever thing the PS3 would get this many exclusives and IPs.
<message edited by CanadianTurtle on Thursday, January 24, 2013 10:33 AM>

Rane-StP
  • Total Posts : 320
Re:Are you actually done with current gen consoles? - Thursday, January 24, 2013 11:44 AM
 I'm excited for next gen PS4, very excited actually, however I still have/ will have games to finish playing for some time yet on the PS3. Nothing wrong with playing games on both.

Evildoomnerd
  • Total Posts : 164
Re:Are you actually done with current gen consoles? - Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:15 PM
Not yet. Theres still at least 11 games I would like to platinum before moving on.  After that I'll sell my PS3 for Next-Gen funding. 

wishingW3L
  • Total Posts : 1091
Re:Are you actually done with current gen consoles? - Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:20 PM
you know, when this gen started I was still in high-school and when I look back I realize that this gen has been going for way too long. We need a new start, we need next gen consoles to offer us new stuff. Sony in particular needs to fix their garbage architecture of the PS3 so devs stop delivering inferior ports like Skyrim, hugeass installations that not only take hours to install but tons of space too, we need new PSN features that are being limited by the amount of Ram in the system, etc. Current gen consoles are outdated as hell and is time to move on.

But a new gen doesn't mean that you will not be able to keep enjoying your PS3, Xbox or Wii anymore so I don't know what are you're complaining about. Just yesterday I bought Atelier Iris and Disgaea Hour of Darkness for the PS2 and Star Ocean 2 for the PS1. These past couple of weeks I've been playing UMvC3 and Xenogears too so why can't you do the same? 

acemonkey
  • Total Posts : 3024
Re:Are you actually done with current gen consoles? - Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:27 PM
i would like to see what next gen could do and will do...for both xbox and sony...but i wont be first day buyer

Kon
  • Total Posts : 10799
Re:Are you actually done with current gen consoles? - Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:31 PM
I've yet to buy a PS3...
Stop Cyberbullying!

-Mezzo-
  • Total Posts : 2862
Re:Are you actually done with current gen consoles? - Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:33 PM
I'm done with the hardware, not the Games.

I'm Trolling For 'Tears'

WildArmed
  • Total Posts : 10010
Re:Are you actually done with current gen consoles? - Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:36 PM
Kon

I've yet to buy a PS3...

PS3.

Yup, so Kon finally admits the PS3 is the only current gen console. 
360 is last gen :p

Rage_S90
  • Total Posts : 7899
Re:Are you actually done with current gen consoles? - Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:38 PM
Skv007

Kon

I've yet to buy a PS3...

PS3.

Yup, so Kon finally admits the PS3 is the only current gen console. 
360 is last gen :p

BOOOOOOOM!!!!

CanadianTurtle
Re:Are you actually done with current gen consoles? - Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:39 PM

@WISHING
This isn't a thread about me "complaining." I wasn't complaining at all. I'm just wondering how many people actually are fully ready to play the next gen consoles with the full desire. I also mentioned above that I would be juicing out my PS3 until the next 5 years, playing games that I haven't played yet. Just the other day I spent 4 hours playing Halo 3's campaign mode and was having tons of fun playing a game that came out in 2006.
@EVILDOOMNERD
Is it okay if you edit your post and tell me the games that you are planning on playing? Just curious haha. I just want to know what games people are going to use to juice out their current gen consoles before they get the new ones.

Also, can everyone else also give me a list of games that they're planning on playing before they move on to next gen. I'm just curious, and it may even spark an interest for me to buy a new game that I may have overlooked. 

I've yet to play the following games. I don't know why I keep holding them off, but I gotta get to them sometime soon because from what I've seen in the demos and gameplay videos, they look outstanding:
Castlevania: Lord of Shadows
Shadows of the Damned
Batman Arkham Asylum
Darkness 2 (Maybe I'll play this one)
Mortal Kombat (2010)

<message edited by CanadianTurtle on Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:48 PM>

Rane-StP
  • Total Posts : 320
Re:Are you actually done with current gen consoles? - Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:50 PM
wishingW3L

you know, when this gen started I was still in high-school and when I look back I realize that this gen has been going for way too long. We need a new start, we need next gen consoles to offer us new stuff. Sony in particular needs to fix their garbage architecture of the PS3 so devs stop delivering inferior ports like Skyrim, hugeass installations that not only take hours to install but tons of space too, we need new PSN features that are being limited by the amount of Ram in the system, etc. Current gen consoles are outdated as hell and is time to move on.

But a new gen doesn't mean that you will not be able to keep enjoying your PS3, Xbox or Wii anymore so I don't know what are you're complaining about. Just yesterday I bought Atelier Iris and Disgaea Hour of Darkness for the PS2 and Star Ocean 2 for the PS1. These past couple of weeks I've been playing UMvC3 and Xenogears too so why can't you do the same? 
I don't see any complaint. Perhaps re-read the question.

Irishguy95
  • Total Posts : 578
Re:Are you actually done with current gen consoles? - Thursday, January 24, 2013 4:50 PM
I'll have been finished with the Xbox for ages, until an exclusive comes out which it comes out of retirement for a month or so. Gonna finish the Wii over the next few weeks, already started with Xenoblade i'm at...on the Bionis' right arm, just before you go on the sword(I assume, since it's called Sword valley)

thebudgetgamer
  • Total Posts : 6947
Re:Are you actually done with current gen consoles? - Thursday, January 24, 2013 4:53 PM
No, I was playing Super Nintendo yesterday.

Evildoomnerd
  • Total Posts : 164
Re:Are you actually done with current gen consoles? - Thursday, January 24, 2013 4:53 PM
A bit late for an edit, but the games I have yet to complete are:

3D Dot Game Heroes
Alpha Protocol
Assassin's Creed:Brotherhood
Assassin's Creed III 
Batman: Arkham City
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Dead Space 2
Darksiders 2
Grand Theft Auto IV
Just Cause 2
Killzone 2
Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom
Mass Effect Trilogy
Sleeping Dogs

Then there are the games I don't have/not released yet but need to play which are:

Dead Space 3
Grand Theft Auto V
Hitman: Absolution
Hitman Trilogy
Jak and Daxter Trilogy
Nier
Resistance 3
Sly Cooper Trilogy
The Last of Us
Uncharted 3

cgoodno
  • Total Posts : 3394
Re:Are you actually done with current gen consoles? - Thursday, January 24, 2013 5:01 PM
Nope.  I'd be fine with another 5 years of current gen consoles.  Especially considering it would force them to start designing better games rather than relying on graphics and the like to get them through.  With a new generation, they're going to focus once again on that instead of improving game design.  

ZombieNinjaPanda
  • Total Posts : 11431
Re:Are you actually done with current gen consoles? - Thursday, January 24, 2013 5:04 PM
Was done with this gen a long time ago. Decided to go back to the previous gen. Better multiplayer games and couch splitscreen. 

Nate-Dog
  • Total Posts : 2068
Re:Are you actually done with current gen consoles? - Thursday, January 24, 2013 5:06 PM
I've got tons of games to still play before I move on with gaming. I have like 6 PS2 titles I bought while cheap (including Oni, Okami, FFX, a Disgaea title, probably some others there), a handful of Wii games even though I have no Wii yet and I still have a good few PS3 games I have to play (EX Troopers, ZOE HD, Driver:San Francisco, Tales of Graces f) and there's loads more to come out. Also have Blue Dragon on X360.

Ducky
  • Total Posts : 2339
Re:Are you actually done with current gen consoles? - Thursday, January 24, 2013 7:15 PM
cgoodno

Nope.  I'd be fine with another 5 years of current gen consoles.  Especially considering it would force them to start designing better games rather than relying on graphics and the like to get them through.  With a new generation, they're going to focus once again on that instead of improving game design.  

The opposite seems to be the trend.

Developers are sacrificing game design in order to have more resources to put towards visuals or an unnecessary multiplayer mode. At least with newer hardware, the choice of game design vs visuals doesn't have to be binary because they'd have enough resources to improve both.

As for me, there's some interesting games being released in the future. They'd probably be better if we had newer hardware, but then again, most of my enjoyment comes from indie games which wouldn't benefit much from newer hardware.
Still, I'm mostly done with current gen. Haven't touched my ps3 in over a month... and didn't bother to renew PS+ when it expired. 

cgoodno
  • Total Posts : 3394
Re:Are you actually done with current gen consoles? - Thursday, January 24, 2013 7:21 PM
FatOldMan
cgoodno

Developers are sacrificing game design in order to have more resources to put towards visuals or an unnecessary multiplayer mode. At least with newer hardware, the choice of game design vs visuals doesn't have to be binary because they'd have enough resources to improve both.

As for me, there's some interesting games being released in the future. They'd probably be better if we had newer hardware, but then again, most of my enjoyment comes from indie games which wouldn't benefit much from newer hardware.
Still, I'm mostly done with current gen. Haven't touched my ps3 in over a month... and didn't bother to renew PS+ when it expired. 
No, design is put on the back burner compared to graphics while timelines and budgets are reduced as time goes on.  You always have to have pretty graphics to sell your games, but it still takes as long to make it.  So, design gets cut to shorten production time.  Look at Dragon Age 2.  Graphics were fine, but repeated use of assets, no exploration, and limited character options due to reduced schedule and budget.

<message edited by cgoodno on Thursday, January 24, 2013 7:23 PM>

ZombieNinjaPanda
  • Total Posts : 11431
Re:Are you actually done with current gen consoles? - Thursday, January 24, 2013 7:23 PM
cgoodno

FatOldMan
cgoodno

No, design is put on the back burner compared to graphics while timelines and budgets are reduced as time goes on.  You always have to have pretty graphics to sell your games, but it still takes as long to make it.  So, design gets cut to shorten production time.  Look at Dragon Age 2.  Graphics were fine, but repeated use of assets, no exploration, and limited character options due to reduced schedule and budget.

This is why I say Graphics = Gameplay. Even the games that look to have mediocre graphics have good arstyles and make up for it. Look at Don't Starve. That won't blow you away but damn is the art style good. 

ichimaru
  • Total Posts : 2572
Re:Are you actually done with current gen consoles? - Thursday, January 24, 2013 8:22 PM
nope. I'll probably wait out next gen for a yr after launch unless the line up is amaing or E3 steals my wallet
  O Jerusalem, wash thine heart from wickedness, that thou mayest be saved. How long shall thy vain thoughts lodge within thee?- Jeremiah 4:14 False tears bring pai

Solid_Snake
  • Total Posts : 2620
Re:Are you actually done with current gen consoles? - Thursday, January 24, 2013 8:29 PM
Nope.  I still have a huge backlog to play through. 

I barely have time to play now, what the hell am I going to do next gen??? Probably have to quit my job.  But then how will I afford the games????  
MAKE ME FEEL ALIVE

Kon
  • Total Posts : 10799
Re:Are you actually done with current gen consoles? - Thursday, January 24, 2013 8:35 PM
Sell your body on the streets.
Stop Cyberbullying!

TheNocturnus
  • Total Posts : 4402
Re:Are you actually done with current gen consoles? - Thursday, January 24, 2013 11:18 PM
Pretty much done with current gen. I want to play GTA V mainly and a few other games but that's it. I have been ready for the next gen for a couple years now.

My PSN ID is: xNocturnus    XBL Tag is: xX Nocturnus Xx

Picnic
  • Total Posts : 165
Re:Are you actually done with current gen consoles? - Friday, January 25, 2013 7:12 AM
This generation might as well be finished for Microsoft but the PS3 is not over at all. The Unfinished Swan and Papa and Yo all came out in the last 6 months. Move keeps getting new games like FMV light gun game Mad Dog McCree. Ron Gilbert's new game The Cave is now out. There's also The Last of Us and Puppeteer coming this year. Look at the PS2- that had great games out on it in to 2007. With Bioshock Infinite as well the PS3 is due to have a very sweet swansong in its lineup. It may be looked upon as as worthy successor as could be hoped for to the PS2.

Satanas
  • Total Posts : 13047
Re:Are you actually done with current gen consoles? - Friday, January 25, 2013 10:10 AM
ZombieNinjaPanda

This is why I say Graphics = Gameplay. Even the games that look to have mediocre graphics have good arstyles and make up for it. Look at Don't Starve. That won't blow you away but damn is the art style good. 

I sort of agree, I've always though Graphics ~ Gameplay. The proportionality depending on the title itself.

It's hard to enjoy certain games if the visuals are poor. Obviously that doesn't apply to older titles, just whatever the standard was at the time of release

The current generation of consoles should have a solid final year and be done with it by Christmas time. It's time to move on, it's not like you're forced to sell these old things immediately and not play any of the games you've yet to. The hardware is old now, and it's time to refresh things. 

FamilyGuy
  • Total Posts : 20
Re:Are you actually done with current gen consoles? - Friday, January 25, 2013 2:13 PM
  I'm looking forward to the new features of next gen consoles rather than just the games. The games out now and releasing soon are great and there's an enormous catalog worth going through but I'm VERY interested in things like: PS+'s future, console MMOs, friend's list that have REAL profiles like social media sites, whether PS4 will support 4k, the new controller features, usb 3.0, graphics, immersion, an enhanced internet browser, faster loads times/seamless background loading in more games, multi-tasking abilities (like checking the internet without leaving a game), bigger/open world environments with better draw distance, compatibility with other devices, and then what games they have that show off the new consoles abilities. I probably WILL get a launch day PS4 and still play my PS3 games as well.

NeverEnding1989
  • Total Posts : 666
Re:Are you actually done with current gen consoles? - Friday, January 25, 2013 3:14 PM
I'm definitely done with my PS3. I sold it at the end of 2011, since there were no major PS3 exclusives scheduled for release in 2012 and I've been fine without it. Halo 4 is keeping me busy on my Xbox 360. Before I buy into next gen I'll also be picking up Skyrim+DLC for cheap on the 360. I may pick up a used PS3 for TLOU, but I need confirmation of campaign length. I don't buy games that are 6 hours long.

<message edited by NeverEnding1989 on Friday, January 25, 2013 3:15 PM>

Welcome to next gen:

Satanas
  • Total Posts : 13047
Re:Are you actually done with current gen consoles? - Friday, January 25, 2013 3:27 PM
NeverEnding1989

I'm definitely done with my PS3. I sold it at the end of 2011, since there were no major PS3 exclusives scheduled for release in 2012 and I've been fine without it. Halo 4 is keeping me busy on my Xbox 360. Before I buy into next gen I'll also be picking up Skyrim+DLC for cheap on the 360. I may pick up a used PS3 for TLOU, but I need confirmation of campaign length. I don't buy games that are 6 hours long.

I would have tended to agree were it not for 2013. This final year before the next wave, well, so far the PS3 is absolutely crippling the 360. Which is great, really - I feel like I've got quite a bit of use out of it this year already despite also having a bunch of stuff I still need to play on PC and Wii U

Regardless of whether these consoles are 'done' the next wave should come in at the end of the year. The current consoles can exist onwards too - look at the PS2. One thing that I hated about the original Xbox was how quickly MS abandoned it post-360 launch. It felt like utter abandonment and dismissal just a week into the 360's life. Sony does not have that track record, so I don't think the PS3 will swiftly die.
<message edited by Satanas on Friday, January 25, 2013 3:29 PM>

CanadianTurtle
Re:Are you actually done with current gen consoles? - Friday, January 25, 2013 5:47 PM
There seems to be a variety of opinions. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who feels like there's still an extensive catalog out there to play. I've beaten  quite a lot of games this generation, and a bunch of them I've actually played multiple times. I think I've gotten a good experience out of this generation. I'm glad to see that developers were allowed so much more freedom in terms of gameplay and visual portrayal due to the technology. So much has evolved in gaming this gen.

Also, I've been playing a lot of Gears of War 1 and Halo 3 these days. I got Gears 1 for the 360 and I don't even own a 360 haha! I got one of my friends to lend me his 360, that's how badly I wanted to play the Gears series. He also just gave me Halo3 to borrow just so I can get into the series. And both games are just outstandingly fun for titles that were released in 2006 and 2007. I'm just surprised at how much fun I'm having. 

I've really underestimated the Halo series. Halo 3 has some really cool set pieces like the "Scarab" fights and the beautiful level design. I also adore the vehicle combat and overall gameplay of Halo3 in terms of an FPS standpoint. It sort of plays like an old school arena shooter, except a bit more slow paced. Which is awesome because old school shooters are light-years ahead more fun than the modern military shooters in my opinion. The game looks gorgeous too.

The only problem with Halo 3 is that the plot is sort of confusing since I'm a new-comer to the series. So I was thinking of getting Halo Reach since it's a prequel and no involvement in knowledge from the previous games are required.

Same with Gears of war. I love the overall game in general, already beaten it once. Playing through it again! I love the enemy designs in this game as well as the atmospheric and gritty level design. Such a well made game with great standards. I love games where it's about the human race battling it out against a hostile deadly "alien-like" force. And Gears1 does it really well with the cool enemy variety and boss fights. The Corpser is one of the coolest bosses I've ever fought. I'm a huge fan of Resistance 1, 2, and 3, so I'm big fan of games with awesome looking enemies that don't die in 2-3 bullets. It actually takes quite a bit of lead to kill the locust horde. Great game. Can't wait to start Gears 2 and 3.

So yea. I guess I have quite a lot of great games that I can still play multiple times to last until I want a next gen console

-MD-
  • Total Posts : 8195
Re:Are you actually done with current gen consoles? - Friday, January 25, 2013 5:50 PM
As far as consoles go I plan on sticking with my PS3 until like 2015 or so.