The best of a generation

Nate-Dog
  • Total Posts : 2115
  • Reward points : 0
The best of a generation - Sunday, February 10, 2013 3:27 PM
As we (seemingly) wind down towards the end of the seventh generation of gaming and onto the eighth I thought it'd be a good time for us all to show our appreciation for the best of what we've seen this generation. I know there are still a few decent-looking titles to be released but hey these can be added later on if needed.

Well, let's get to it shall we? Feel free to add in any related categories you need to which I may have forgotten about.

Best Shooter: Has to be Call of Duty 4 really. That was the first real shooter I played multiplayer of and I got so many years out of it, a shame how the sequels were but hey at least I experienced how great that was.

Best sports game: Probably FIFA 09 for me. The game made such huge jumps from all the previous titles and was so good that EA Sports barely changed the formula after that at all (even 13 isn't that much different). I hate that they still don't wish to change things much but they did make some fantastic changes to the game with that title.

Best RPG: Very hard choice to make between Mass Effect and The Witcher II. Mass Effect for me was just a wonderful game for everything it did even though the combat was so clunky, I've played the game so many, many times and never seem to tire of it. But The Witcher II was just almost the perfect RPG where almost every single decision and action will have a later effect and many of those will make a difference to the ending, making the Mass Effect series look like a joke. I probably would go with Mass Effect but since The Witcher II is a real RPG, The Witcher II it is.

Best JRPG: Probably going to have to be Lost Odyssey. Took me over 60 hours to finish the game I think, and while some areas of the game were a little disappointing (the main narrative was a rather typical JRPG story, and combat did become a little bit repetitive at times since it was a classic turn-based system without any real changes) there was just so much to do in the game and the short-stories and music, and general world and interaction with it was fantastic.

Best Hack n' Slash: Haven't really played any of these this generation to be honest, I'd probably end up going with MG Rising since I found the demo very fun and will play it at some point, but it's not exactly a definitive answer.

Best Platformer: This generation has been quite poor for the last of platformers especially in comparison to last generation. The Ratchet & Clank games were all poor in comparison to those of last generation, but for me anyway there were very few platformers out there this generation of note. Guess I'll just have to say R&C: A Crack in Time. It wasn't terrible and was much better than Tools of Destruction, but was still a bit disappointing.

Best Fighter: Didn't play many fighters this generation, I'll probably go with Tekken 6 I guess.

Best Puzzler: Has to be Portal 2. Had an incredible amount of fun with this game through the single-player and co-op. It made puzzles fun and interesting to do and I enjoyed almost every minute with the game.

Best open-world game: Fallout 3. I never finished the game but it was my first real RPG and I got so sucked into the vastness of the world and all the awesome quests that I ended up playing 20 hours worth of the game and barely advancing the main story. I felt like I was a bit too out of the loop and didn't go back to it but I ought to some day.

Best downloadable title: Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle Cars. This game was ridiculously fun when the servers were full.

Best narrative: When you simplify it and get right down to it it was arguably nothing more than a revenge story, but Assassin's Creed II just sucked me in so much from the get-go in every respect.

Best combat: Has to be Dark Souls. I've always liked games with swordplay but this just took the precision and intimacy of swordplay in games to a new level, absolutely adored what From Software did with it.

Best gameplay: I'll probably go with the above, Dark Souls.

Best Score (music and audio): Bit of a hard choice but I think Assassin's Creed 2 has to take it. Jesper Kyd did an absolutely fantastic job with the soundtrack to set the mood of the game so well in every location, even the majority of the minor tracks are just beautiful to listen to. He's been by far my most favourite composer of this generation.

Best voice-acting: Bit of a tough one for me. I think there were a few games with some very good voice-acting but also some mediocre voice-acting to go alongside it, but I think I'll go with Red Dead Redemption for this one.

Best world / environments: Assassin's Creed 2 I'll probably say, I loved Renaissance Italy and how different each of the main areas of the game were.

Best multiplayer / co-op / online features: Call of Duty 4 again. Set the precedent for the large focus on FPS games this generation. That's not a very good thing in hindsight of course but just everything the game did in its multiplayer component was amazing.

Best Protagonist: Right now I think I'm going to go with Yuri Lowell from Tales of Vesperia. It's probably more to do with the story around him and how it's told. I mean he isn't made out by any means to be a classic hero and someone that can't do any wrong, he struggles with decisions and he (and mainly the game in general) is always questioning what is right and wrong and sometimes the need to do what is wrong in order to get the "right" result, and vice versa.

Best Antagonist: Edgar Ross from Red Dead Redemption. His unveiling as a real antagonists throughout the story just kind of added to everything that you'd hate about him, not to mention when John had to really interact with him and deal with him in the final third or so of the game.

Best supporting character: Garrus Vakarian (Mass Effect). Guy is just a boss.
Aaand your own personal favourites:

Most fun game: Little bit hard to decide this one, undecided between titles like Portal 2, Mass Effect, might say LittleBigPlanet though, whether it was by myself or online with friends or even randomers, that game was a lot of fun to play through before it became a bit stale.

Most engrossing game: Assassin's Creed II easily. I played that game around 5 hours at a time I was so engrossed in it and the world.

Best game of this generation: This is between Assassin's Creed II and Mass Effect and is a hard one, but I'll say Assassin's Creed II. The soundtrack, the characters, the world, the story, the setting, everything about the game I loved. I mean it even got me interested in Renaissance Italy and Italian history in general and made going to Italy feel like an even more special trip.
<message edited by Nate-Dog on Monday, February 11, 2013 4:14 PM>

Rage_S90
  • Total Posts : 7899
Re:The best of a generation - Sunday, February 10, 2013 3:44 PM
Best Shooter: Bad Company 2

Best sports game: FIFA 11

Best RPG: Mass Effect 2. 

Best JRPG: Demons Souls.

Best Hack n' Slash: God of War III 

Best Platformer: Mario Galaxy 

Best Fighter: Smash Bros Brawl.

Best Puzzler: Portal 2. 

Best open-world game: Red Dead Redemption

Best downloadable title: Flower/Journey

Best narrative: Heavy Rain

Best combat: Hmmm....

Best gameplay: Uncharted 2

Best Score (music and audio): Journey

Best voice-acting: Uncharted 2

Best world / environments: Mass Effect 2

Best multiplayer / co-op / online features: Bad Company 2

Most fun game: Uncharted 2

Most engrossing game: Heavy Rain/MGS4

Best game of this generation: Uncharted 2 

<message edited by Rage_S90 on Sunday, February 10, 2013 3:46 PM>

Kon
  • Total Posts : 11111
Re:The best of a generation - Sunday, February 10, 2013 3:47 PM
Nate-Dog

Best Shooter: CoD MW2.

Best sports game: FIFA 10

Best RPG: Mass Effect

Best JRPG: ?

Best Hack n' Slash: ?

Best Platformer: 

Best Fighter: Mortal Kombat 2011

Best Puzzler: Machinarium

Best open-world game: GTA IV

Best downloadable title: Machinarium 

Best narrative: Mass Effect

Best combat: Max Payne 3 

Best gameplay: Max Payne 3

Best Score (music and audio): Mass Effect

Best voice-acting: RDR

Best world / environments: AC2 

Best multiplayer / co-op / online features: CoD MW2

Aaand your own personal favourites:

Most fun game: Mass Effect

Most engrossing game: Mass Effect

Best game of this generation: Mass Effect

Stop Cyberbullying!

13/05/2014 - The day innovation died.

moegooner88
  • Total Posts : 2046
Re:The best of a generation - Sunday, February 10, 2013 3:53 PM
Best Shooter: Tie between Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare, and Killzone 2 for me, both were great games, loved COD4 campaign, and Kz2's atmosphere, weapons, and multiplayer maps.

Best Sports game: Fifa 2009, best Fifa this gen imho, I got my PS3 in 2009, and moving from PS2 version to the PS3 was quite the upgrade, felt like a while new experience, and manager mode was a blast, hated all sequels though, little to none major improvements to justify their release.

Best RPG: - Dragon Age Origins, had a great story line, choices system was very well implemented, combat system was great, and game felt like a proper RPG, unlike DA2.

Best JRPG: Nier (still waiting for my Ni No Kuni order :/), one of the most under-appreciated games this gen, great story, brilliant soundtrack, creative town design, and game stayed true to the old school RPGs.

Best Hack and Slash: God of War 3, thought the first two games were just fine, but this one was epic, best graphics on PS3 imho, good story, and epic boss fights.

Best Platformer: Ratchet and Clank ACIT, my first plat, game had much variety, and Clank sections were just as fun to play as the Ratchet ones.

Best Fighter: Street Fighter 4, the fighting genre is advancing at a very slow rate, I can longer spend as much time playing fighting games as I used to do, when I was a kid.

Best Puzzler: Portal 2, do I have to explain why, game was near perfect.

Best open-world game: Fallout New Vegas, great atmosphere, and missions were a blast.

Best Downloadable title: Journey.

Best Narrative: Assassin's Creed 2, and Brotherhood.

Best Combat: Final Fantasy XIII, simple yet gets deep as you progress, peaks during final hunt missions.

Best Gameplay: Infamous 2.

Best Score: Final Fantasy XIII, Nier, and Journey.

Best Voice Acting: Uncharted 2.

Best world: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, Rome was a blast to explore.

Best Multiplayer: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, not a fan of online gaming, but this one kept me interested for a while.

Most fun game: Ratchet and Clank ACIT.

Most engrossing game: Killzone 2, Mass Effect 3, and Assassin's Creed 2, and Brotherhood.

Best game this generation: Between Mass Effect 3, DA Origins, FFXIII, and Portal 2.

<message edited by moegooner88 on Sunday, February 10, 2013 4:02 PM>

redDevil87
  • Total Posts : 8354
Re:The best of a generation - Sunday, February 10, 2013 4:06 PM
Best Shooter for me was Killzone 2, i was going to make a thread about it today about how amazing it was.

The game was mind blowing, the graphics, the sound, the blood, the weighted weapons, combining classes and the in your face explosions ware glorious to have in a multiplayer game. The Warzone mode was perfect, it kept things going and mixed things up. 

The campaign was ok, the graphics couldn't make up for the poor story and lack of variety, but the multiplayer was where it shined.

Some gifs to remind everyone of Killzone 2.

Best Gif:

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/65615i3E0F93689FF4A390/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

Bad Company 2 an easy second. That game was way to much fun. Hitting a moving target from a distance with a sniper rifle was so satisfying. But taking down a helicopter by perfectly firing an RPG made you feel like a boss.

<message edited by redDevil87 on Sunday, February 10, 2013 4:12 PM>

flip-it3
  • Total Posts : 6628
Re:The best of a generation - Sunday, February 10, 2013 4:19 PM
Best Shooter: COD4 

Best sports game: FIFA 09 

Best RPG: Torchlight 2 

Best Platformer: Mirror's Edge 

Best Puzzler: Portal 2. 

Best downloadable title: Wipeout

Best narrative: Heavy Rain/Bioshock   

Best combat: Dead Space 

Best Score (music and audio): Journey

Best voice-acting: Uncharted 2

Best world / environments: Red Dead Redemption 

Best multiplayer: COD4  

Most fun game: Uncharted 2

Most engrossing game: Heavy Rain/MGS4/Bioshock   

Best game of this generation: Uncharted 2 

Pandamobile
  • Total Posts : 1709
Re:The best of a generation - Sunday, February 10, 2013 4:33 PM
Best FPS: Team Fortress 2

Best TPS: Uncharted 2

Best sports game: FIFA 11 or 12   

Best RPG: Mass Effect 2

Best JRPG: Never played one   

Best Hack n' Slash: God of War III I guess   

Best Platformer: Super Meat Boy

Best Fighter: Mortal Kombat

Best Puzzler: Portal 2

Best open-world game: Far Cry 3

Best downloadable title: Super Meat Boy

Best F2P: Planetside 2

Best narrative: The Witcher 2

Best combat: Battlefield 3

Best gameplay: Portal 2  

Best Score (music and audio): Portal 2  

Best voice-acting: Portal 2

Best world / environments: Crysis   

Best multiplayer / co-op / online features: Team Fortress 2 (honourable mention: Battlefield 3)   

Most fun game: Team Fortress 2  

Most engrossing game: Team Fortress 2

Best Graphics (artistic): Team Fortress 2 (2007-2010)

Best Graphics (technical): Crysis 3

Best game of this generation: Portal 2

Theo1130
  • Total Posts : 1868
Re:The best of a generation - Sunday, February 10, 2013 5:29 PM
Pandamobile

Best JRPG: Never played one   

I didn't play a single JRPG this generation either.

Satanas
  • Total Posts : 13047
Re:The best of a generation - Sunday, February 10, 2013 6:19 PM
Best Shooter: Borderlands 2

Best sports game: N/A, I think they are all terrible

Best RPG: Skyrim 

Best JRPG: Valkyria Chronicles (SRPG would be more appropriate) or Ni no Kuni 

Best Hack n' Slash: Right now, probably Bayonetta. Rising and Bayonetta 2 may contend this (B2 is technically "next gen" though) 

Best Platformer: Super Mario Galaxy 2 no questions asked 

Best Fighter: Street Fighter 4 / Super Street Fighter 4 / Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition / Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition 2012 

Best open-world game: Not really sure. Guess I'd give it to Fallout 3 as well

Best downloadable title: Well the obvious pick here is probably Journey. I didn't play many downloadable / non full price titles. 

Best narrative: Metal Gear Solid 4, from this gen, although I feel I'd probably pick an Uncharted title had I played any of them because of Hennig 

Best combat: Again, probably Bayonetta or the others contending with it. Technical combat is my preferred type of combat. 

Best gameplay: Valkyria Chronicles 

Best Score (music and audio): Valkyria Chronicles 

Best voice-acting: No LoK games this generation, and really nothing struck me as having particularly noteworthy voice acting. 

Best world / environments: Tough choice. Nothing particular struck me as deserving of this. 

Best multiplayer / co-op / online features: Multiplayer - COD4, Coop specifically - Borderlands 2 

Most fun game: Valkyria Chronicles 

Most engrossing game: Borderlands 2, I think with it I clocked the most hours out of any game this generation potentially.

Best game of this generation: Valkyria Chronicles. This is a personal choice obviously. Only on the PSTriple.
<message edited by Satanas on Sunday, February 10, 2013 6:21 PM>

WildArmed
  • Total Posts : 10162
Re:The best of a generation - Sunday, February 10, 2013 7:02 PM
Satanas

Best game of this generation: Valkyria Chronicles. This is a personal choice obviously. Only on the PSTriple.

:D

This would probably be my choice as well. Thou it's hard to say what is the best game this gen. I don't believe in rating games in numbers, but just by how much i like them. 

moegooner88
  • Total Posts : 2046
Re:The best of a generation - Sunday, February 10, 2013 7:07 PM
Everyone's fav puzzler is Portal 2, everyone except Kon that is.
<message edited by moegooner88 on Sunday, February 10, 2013 7:08 PM>

Satanas
Re:The best of a generation - Sunday, February 10, 2013 7:41 PM
Skv007

Satanas

:D

This would probably be my choice as well. Thou it's hard to say what is the best game this gen. I don't believe in rating games in numbers, but just by how much i like them. 

I completely changed my outlook on RPGs because of this game. What a great game. Difficult to stick into a single category. It's the best............... tactical third-person shooter strategy RPG with real-time elements....... that I've ever played.

NeverEnding1989
  • Total Posts : 666
Re:The best of a generation - Sunday, February 10, 2013 8:03 PM
Best Shooter: Halo 3 
Best sports game: NHL 3 on 3 arcade was fun and original
Best RPG: Oblivion
Best open-world game: Fallout 3
Best downloadable title: The Walking Dead for singleplayer, best multiplayer is Peggle. Fantastic local multi game.
Best narrative: GTA IV
Best combat: Battlestations: Midway
Best gameplay: The original Infamous: Crackdown
Best Score (music and audio): Halo Anniversary. Cheap pick I know, but the best. 
Best voice-acting: LA Noire
Best world / environments: Just Cause/ JC2
Best multiplayer / co-op / online features: Halo 3/GOW

Best game of this generation: This gen has been focused on two things: shooters and online play. With that in mind, no game is more complete than Halo 3. Halo 4 is solid as well, but it didn't raise the bar like Halo 3 did. The bar that hasn't yet been passed by Battlefield, Killzone, COD, etc.

Best Strategy: Civilization Revolution

<message edited by NeverEnding1989 on Sunday, February 10, 2013 8:05 PM>

Welcome to next gen:

Satanas
Re:The best of a generation - Sunday, February 10, 2013 9:25 PM
NeverEnding1989

Best downloadable title: The Walking Dead for singleplayer, best multiplayer is Peggle. Fantastic local multi game.
Best Score (music and audio): Halo Anniversary. Cheap pick I know, but the best. 

Best game of this generation: This gen has been focused on two things: shooters and online play. With that in mind, no game is more complete than Halo 3. Halo 4 is solid as well, but it didn't raise the bar like Halo 3 did. The bar that hasn't yet been passed by Battlefield, Killzone, COD, etc.

If you meant that as in you focused on shooters and online play, then that's a perfectly alright thing to say. Personally, I feel like shooters were pretty awful this gen. The heydays of shooters for me were most things released between Half-Life 1 to Half-Life 2, with Halo: CE being my personal favourite I guess. Return to Castle Wolfenstein for multiplayer experience

TheLastGuardian
  • Total Posts : 3666
Re:The best of a generation - Sunday, February 10, 2013 10:54 PM
Best Shooter: Bioshock (SP) Call of Duty 4 (MP)

Best Action-adventure: Uncharted 2

Best sports game: Sports Champtions (only one I played)

Best RPG: Valkyria Chronicles

Best 2D Platformer: Rayman Origins

Best 2.5D Platformer: LittleBigPlanet 2

Best 3D Platformer: Super Mario Galaxy

Best Racing game: MotorStorm Apocalypse

Best Fighter: PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

Best Car Combat: Twisted Metal

Best downloadable title: Journey 

Best narrative: Heavy Rain

Best combat: Bayonetta

Best art style: Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time

Best Score (music and audio): Journey, RDR, LBP1 and 2

Best world / environments: Red Dead Redemption

Best multiplayer / co-op / online features: LittleBigPlanet 2

Most fun game: LittleBigPlanet 2

Most engrossing game: Heavy Rain, Uncharted 2

Best game of this generation: LittleBigPlanet 2

TheNocturnus
  • Total Posts : 4403
Re:The best of a generation - Sunday, February 10, 2013 11:27 PM
GTA IV.... soon to be GTA V

Out of all the games I bought at their respective release, this is the only one I have never traded in or sold. 

NeverEnding1989
  • Total Posts : 666
Re:The best of a generation - Monday, February 11, 2013 12:01 AM
Satanas

NeverEnding1989

If you meant that as in you focused on shooters and online play, then that's a perfectly alright thing to say. Personally, I feel like shooters were pretty awful this gen. The heydays of shooters for me were most things released between Half-Life 1 to Half-Life 2, with Halo: CE being my personal favourite I guess. Return to Castle Wolfenstein for multiplayer experience

I did not focus on shooters and online play this gen. I meant that the dominant genre in terms of huge budgets and biggest sales has been shooters. At least that's how it feels like.

Welcome to next gen:

Satanas
Re:The best of a generation - Monday, February 11, 2013 12:50 AM
NeverEnding1989

Satanas

NeverEnding1989

I did not focus on shooters and online play this gen. I meant that the dominant genre in terms of huge budgets and biggest sales has been shooters. At least that's how it feels like.

Budgets and sales, I agree. Quality of course is debatable and will depend on the person

SanMarco
  • Total Posts : 989
Re:The best of a generation - Monday, February 11, 2013 2:29 AM
Best Shooter:[style="text-align: -webkit-auto; "] Haze

Best Action-adventure: army of two

Best sports game: paintball 

Best RPG: LotR 

Best Hack n' Slash: Conan (PS3)

Best 2D Platformer: MGS4

Best 2.5D Platformer: MGS3

Best 3D Platformer: payday the heist

Best Puzzler: Rise of The Argonuats

Best Racing game: Driver

Best Fighter: Soul Caliber 

Best Car Combat: transformers 

Best open-world game: Assassins Creed 1

Best downloadable title: Monopoly 

Best narrative: Zelda Skyward Sword 

Best combat: Flower

Best gameplay: Lair 

Best art style: call of duty WAW

Best Score (music and audio): red Steel 2

Best world / environments: Patapon 

Best multiplayer / co-op / online features: Resident Evil 6

Most fun game: devil may cry 4

Most engrossing game: saints Row 1

Best game of this generation: Guitar Hero Aerosmith
PSN: Mr_Mojo__Risin-

Picnic
  • Total Posts : 165
Re:The best of a generation - Monday, February 11, 2013 7:32 AM
Best Shooter: Uncharted 2. Yes I haven't played many. Best Platformer: The Cave. I could have picked Limbo, Papa and Yo, The Unfinished Swan but the humour, colour, puzzles and all the different characters of The Cave, including The Cave itself, win it for me. And I don't have an Xbox360 or Wii so haven't played Super Meat Boy or Super Mario Galaxy. And Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts is too tricky. Best Puzzler: The Cave. closely followed by any of the above plus Sam and Max The Devil's Playground. Best downloadable title: It has to be The Cave otherwise I'd be lying about one of the above. Best narrative: The Cave Best gameplay: Motorstorm Apocalypse Best Score (music and audio): Quantum Conundrum uses music sparsely but it has some good ambient music. Best voice-acting: Sam and Max - The Devil's Playground. Best world / environments: The Cave. Seriously. The Hillbilly and Knights stories are great. Best multiplayer / co-op / online features: Motorstorm Apocalypse is a perennial favourite. And your own personal favourites: Most fun game: Motorstorm Apocalypse Most engrossing game: The Unfinished Swan. Once you've started it you want to finish it as soon as you can. Best game of this generation: Why can't it be The Cave? No other game has its clever puzzles, its humour and its personality in a classic platformer. So I'm going for that.
<message edited by Picnic on Monday, February 11, 2013 7:33 AM>

iNcRiMiNaTi
  • Total Posts : 1357
Re:The best of a generation - Monday, February 11, 2013 10:53 AM
Best Shooter: Call of duty 4

Best sports game: NBA 2K13 

Best RPG: Dragon Age Origins 

Best JRPG: Eternal Sonata

Best Hack n' Slash: Bayonetta

Best Platformer: Little big planet 

Best Fighter: Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3

Best open-world game: Far Cry 3

Best downloadable title: Cave story+ 

Best narrative: The Walking Dead
Best combat: Batman Arkham City

Best gameplay: Mirror's Edge

Best Score (music and audio): Deus Ex Human Revolution

Best world / environments: Skyrim

Best multiplayer / co-op / online features: Call of Duty 4

Most fun game: Left 4 Dead

Most engrossing game: Uncharted 2
Best game of this generation: Call of Duty 4

Nate-Dog
  • Total Posts : 2115
Re:The best of a generation - Monday, February 11, 2013 4:12 PM
Whoops forgot to add in a few.

Best Protagonist
Best Villain
Best supporting character

I'll edit mine in but might as well post 'em here.

Best Protagonist: Right now I think I'm going to go with Yuri Lowell from Tales of Vesperia. It's probably more to do with the story around him and how it's told. I mean he isn't made out by any means to be a classic hero and someone that can't do any wrong, he struggles with decisions and he (and mainly the game in general) is always questioning what is right and wrong and sometimes the need to do what is wrong in order to get the "right" result, and vice versa.

Best Antagonist: Edgar Ross from Red Dead Redemption. His unveiling as a real antagonists throughout the story just kind of added to everything that you'd hate about him, not to mention when John had to really interact with him and deal with him in the final third or so of the game.

Best supporting character: Garrus Vakarian (Mass Effect). Guy is just a boss.