Demon's or Dark? ...Souls

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 34 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
MiloGarret

• Total Posts : 1366
  • Reward points : 0
Demon's or Dark? ...Souls - Friday, November 11, 2011 12:06 PM ( #1 )
So, you've played both of these great games. You've died... countless times, and yet prevailed. Which one do you prefer?
Please motivate your answer.

I'll go first. My favourite is:

Why? Because it was cooler, basically. Examples: 
Losing your soul and having to recover it is cooler than going Hollow and eating Humanity
Nexus vs Firelink Shrine, lol nuff said. 
Separation of worlds was cooler than open world, it felt like you were a prisoner in that world, alone and screwed. 
Boss fights were rare and felt special in Demon's. In Dark Souls it feels like you're fighting some kind of boss every two seconds. 
Not really fair to point out when comparing to a sequel, but Demon's Souls was a completely new experience, wow-factor. 

Other reasons
Performance issues were not as widespread in Demon's as in Dark. Going to Blighttown is a torture of 5-10 fps for long periods of time. 
Less stupid glitches that ruin PvP in Demon's. 
Dark Souls can be very cheap at times. 
I prefer the more linear level design of Demon's.

Obviously Dark Souls has its positive elements as well, but since the point of this thread is to list why you prefer one over the other I won't go further into that. 
Conclusion: Demon's Souls is still my undisputed favourite game evar. 

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.
TheDareDevil

• Total Posts : 1889
Re:Demon's or Dark? ...Souls - Friday, November 11, 2011 12:09 PM ( #2 )
Dark Souls cuz it's on The Xbox 360 - Nah But I'd never play such a tough game. I play games to chill yo.
TenSteps

• Total Posts : 7085
Re:Demon's or Dark? ...Souls - Friday, November 11, 2011 12:11 PM ( #3 )
Demon's Souls. Just for the sole reason that when I bought it I didn't know what to expect, Plus nothing beats the look on my face when I was midway in the Maneater boss fight and found out I had to fight two of them at the same time..
R.I.P Mori, you were always the most hyperactive friend I have ever had. In ways you were the heart of the House of Versiglia.
MiloGarret

Re:Demon's or Dark? ...Souls - Friday, November 11, 2011 12:22 PM ( #4 )
TenSteps

Demon's Souls. Just for the sole reason that when I bought it I didn't know what to expect, Plus nothing beats the look on my face when I was midway in the Maneater boss fight and found out I had to fight two of them at the same time..

This is very true, Demon's Souls was the first game I ever imported and I had very little idea what it was about. I knew it looked a certain way, and supposedly it was hard (but I assumed that was just bull****), other than that I had no idea. I remember being invaded for the first time, the invader bowed to me so I was like "Neat! I have a friend whose going to help me out, cool! NO WHAT NO WHY WHAT WHY ARE YOU STABBING ME IN THE BACK?!?!?!" 

@TheDareDevil: You make a compelling argument, I may have to re-evaluate my initial position...
TenSteps

Re:Demon's or Dark? ...Souls - Friday, November 11, 2011 12:51 PM ( #5 )
MiloGarret

TenSteps

This is very true, Demon's Souls was the first game I ever imported and I had very little idea what it was about. I knew it looked a certain way, and supposedly it was hard (but I assumed that was just bull****), other than that I had no idea. I remember being invaded for the first time, the invader bowed to me so I was like "Neat! I have a friend whose going to help me out, cool! NO WHAT NO WHY WHAT WHY ARE YOU STABBING ME IN THE BACK?!?!?!" 

@TheDareDevil: You make a compelling argument, I may have to re-evaluate my initial position...

One of my favorite moments was receiving a "A Black Phantom has invaded" message in the 2nd part of the Valley of Defilement and I summoned two phantoms. The Black Phantom got to me and playing on the Asian servers it was no surprised I was ridiculously under-leveled but just as the BP was about to strike the killing blow the two blue phantoms appeared simultaneously while I ran backwards and they killed him for me.
R.I.P Mori, you were always the most hyperactive friend I have ever had. In ways you were the heart of the House of Versiglia.
TheColbertinator

• Total Posts : 7301
Re:Demon's or Dark? ...Souls - Friday, November 11, 2011 2:16 PM ( #6 )
Demons Souls had a much more depressing atmosphere than Dark Souls so I enjoyed that one more.

TenSteps

Re:Demon's or Dark? ...Souls - Friday, November 11, 2011 2:24 PM ( #7 )
TheColbertinator

Demons Souls had a much more depressing atmosphere than Dark Souls so I enjoyed that one more.

The Maiden in Black helped too so that was a plus
Dragunov

• Total Posts : 2814
Re:Demon's or Dark? ...Souls - Friday, November 11, 2011 6:42 PM ( #8 )
Demons souls for sure, i played it to death. I dont like the bosses in Dark Souls as much as i liked the ones in Demons Souls. The evil monk, Tower knight, flamelurker.... 

Dark Souls is bigger with much more spells, weapons, covenants and things to do but Demons Souls was very special and innovative.

But what is really klling Dark Souls for me is the change from dedicated servers to P2P

MiloGarret

Re:Demon's or Dark? ...Souls - Friday, November 11, 2011 9:53 PM ( #9 )
Dragunov

Demons souls for sure, i played it to death. I dont like the bosses in Dark Souls as much as i liked the ones in Demons Souls. The evil monk, Tower knight, flamelurker.... 

Dark Souls is bigger with much more spells, weapons, covenants and things to do but Demons Souls was very special and innovative.

But what is really klling Dark Souls for me is the change from dedicated servers to P2P

Is that why I'm never being summoned? I thought it was just PSN being PSN. That sucks though... Now that I think about it, I didn't have any problems with summoning or invading in Demon's, even though I played on Hong Kong servers. 
macalatus

• Total Posts : 5508
Re:Demon's or Dark? ...Souls - Friday, November 11, 2011 9:59 PM ( #10 )
Demon's Souls is one of my next games to play.  Not too sure about me enjoying "virtual sadomasochism" but at least I've tried it. 
Gen. George Patton FTW! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyUX6wV1lBQ     

If you're reading this, you have got to be bored!
WildArmed

• Total Posts : 10010
Re:Demon's or Dark? ...Souls - Saturday, November 12, 2011 12:13 AM ( #11 )
Demon's Souls.. mainly coz I havn't tried Dark Souls yet..
and I loved Demons Souls because the game was divided into stages and tombs

Newtype

• Total Posts : 2070
Re:Demon's or Dark? ...Souls - Saturday, November 12, 2011 12:25 AM ( #12 )
Demon Souls, it's tougher.

Xbox and the ****ty publisher.
<message edited by Newtype on Saturday, November 12, 2011 12:26 AM>
Irishguy95

• Total Posts : 578
Re:Demon's or Dark? ...Souls - Thursday, April 11, 2013 5:27 PM ( #13 )
Cannot decide, some of Dark souls things really made me love it. The way you just go deeper and deeper into more devastating area's was just nice...among other things like randomly finding new area's in the world, Sen castle is an amazing piece of level design too imo. Demons souls was also my first imported game. My favorite game this gen is between these two games.
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

• Total Posts : 10794
Re:Demon's or Dark? ...Souls - Thursday, April 11, 2013 6:23 PM ( #14 )
I liked Demon's Souls it was cool, the settings were really awesome too. However, the hub world was really lame. I LOVED Dark Souls openness though.

Most important for the games though are the bosses. Which is impossibly hard to judge.

Old King Allant, the dragons(blue/red), Dragon God, Flame Lurker,Penetrator, and the Storm King were all amazingly cool bosses. Penetrator and Allant being the best due to the difficulty and fun of them, wheras the other bosses were gimmicky.

On the other hand Dark Souls bosses...there were just so many good ones. belfray gargoyals, Chaos Witch Quelaag, Crossbread Priscilla, Gaping Dragon, Nito, Sif, Seath, Gwyn...the list goes on.

Like I said both games are fantastic. But I feel like Dark Souls was a step up in every way.
Formerly Known as Hellbringer. PSN: KenshinBATT0USAI 3DS: 2895-6892-5663 Steam: Vashlion
ichimaru

• Total Posts : 2572
Re:Demon's or Dark? ...Souls - Thursday, April 11, 2013 9:34 PM ( #15 )
never played Demon souls

but I enjoyed Dark souls more than I expected. Looking foward to Demon souls 2

O Jerusalem, wash thine heart from wickedness, that thou mayest be saved. How long shall thy vain thoughts lodge within thee?- Jeremiah 4:14 False tears bring pai
WildArmed

Re:Demon's or Dark? ...Souls - Thursday, April 11, 2013 9:42 PM ( #16 )
- [This post was marked as helpful]
ichimaru

never played Demon souls

<message edited by Skv007 on Thursday, April 11, 2013 9:43 PM>

flyingmunky

• Total Posts : 127
Re:Demon's or Dark? ...Souls - Friday, April 12, 2013 12:38 AM ( #17 )
Demon Souls by far.  It was so unique, like nothing I had ever played before.  Gave me a total nostalgia boner from the NES days when dying was a part of learning the game.  Dark Souls as the follow up was awesome, but ultimately I didn't like it as much because summoning friends was nearly impossible (is really was impossible at launch, much better now but still difficult and time consuming).  There is always a certain atrophy that comes with a sequel.  The sequel can overcome that by making things much bigger and better, Dark Souls mostly succeeded here.  In short I like the first one more mostly because I played it first, but also because the online is easier to use.  

PS-  I guess 100 posts popped my cherry.  I'm now an 'active' member of the forums.  I feel .000056% more cool now than I did before.
timmyp53

• Total Posts : 2712
Re:Demon's or Dark? ...Souls - Saturday, April 13, 2013 7:26 AM ( #18 )
Lol @ Skv007,
ichimaru

• Total Posts : 2572
Re:Demon's or Dark? ...Souls - Saturday, April 13, 2013 3:40 PM ( #19 )
Skv007

ichimaru

never played Demon souls

Still willing to give DS2  try, dark souls isn't "canon" but me gustan

<message edited by ichimaru on Saturday, April 13, 2013 3:53 PM>
  O Jerusalem, wash thine heart from wickedness, that thou mayest be saved. How long shall thy vain thoughts lodge within thee?- Jeremiah 4:14 False tears bring pai
WildArmed

Re:Demon's or Dark? ...Souls - Saturday, April 13, 2013 4:13 PM ( #20 )
ichimaru

ichimaru

never played Demon souls

Still willing to give DS2  try, dark souls isn't "canon" but me gustan

lol I was just pointing out that you were looking forward to Demon Souls 2... which is technically Dark souls :O

I think you mean to say Dark Souls 2 :)

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 34 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread