Modnation Racers and LittleBigPlanet Karting

Nutsack

• Total Posts : 248
  • Reward points : 0
Modnation Racers and LittleBigPlanet Karting - Tuesday, November 06, 2012 10:31 AM ( #1 )
Modnation Racers actually is a good game. A fun 'Mario Kart' like game. Unfortunately not a game that sold really great, it just stayed under a million copies sold but still a good addition to the PS3's library of games.

Then Sony decided that they wanted to paste the imago of one of their most important games/characters on the karting game. LittleBigPlanet Karting is the result. WHat I already expected, this brings an uninspiring 'sequel'. It gives me the bad feeling that Sony is out to cash in on their famous characters and IP's in another way than the original IP itself. Just by taping the well known name over a game without too much quality check, to release it and crossing fingers that dumb kids will buy a game for its name, those that don't check out reviews. Besides LBPK, they put all their characters and franchises in PS All Stars. Lets hope this is not a trend for the coming years...

IGN review is just in on LBPK, 5/10 saying:

"That should be awesome, but LittleBigPlanet Kartingdoesn't have the polish of the LBP games that have come before it, nor the kart racing fun that defined ModNation Racers. Strangely, it's a product that fails to live up to the bar set by each of its predecessors, representing a step backwards for United Front Games as a kart racing developer and LittleBigPlanet as one of Sony’s marquee franchises"

"Again, all of that is solid, but LBP Karting strips out a few of the ModNation mechanics that made that game strategic and fun. You no longer have a boost/shield. You no longer have a boost/shield meter to worry about; now, you get the boost from drifting and have to decide if you want to use your item for its given purpose or use it to defend an attack when the time comes. This is a step backward. Building up the ModNation meter meant you could defend yourself from multiple attacks."

"This setup is one of LittleBigPlanet Karting's major flaws. Whereas ModNation Racers gave you an online ranking system to level-up in and an easy way to dive straight into races, LittleBigPlanet Karting doesn't. There's no online section from the main menu and no carrot on the end of the stick outside of individual race leaderboards. "

"A lack of confidence seems to define LittleBigPlanet Karting. The game pulls from both the LBP and ModNation universes without ever finding its own voice. In the end, that leads to the game feeling like a forgettable kart racer. The racing mechanics are tight, but I'd rather play ModNation Racers with its strategy and create options for karts. The LBP vibe is nice, but I'd rather play one of the core LittleBigPlanet platformers for better creation tools and storytelling"

http://www.ign.com/articl...gplanet-karting-review

ZombieNinjaPanda

• Total Posts : 11431
Re:Modnation Racers and LittleBigPlanet Karting - Tuesday, November 06, 2012 11:40 AM ( #2 )
Modnation was indeed fun, because it was in essence, a Mario Kart - Crash Racing game for the modern generation. It didn't try to be something it's not. And then it added on things to differentiate itself in a good way, instead of changing any core fundamentals (the track editor/maker).

Nutsack

• Total Posts : 248
Re:Modnation Racers and LittleBigPlanet Karting - Tuesday, November 06, 2012 1:47 PM ( #3 )
ZombieNinjaPanda

Modnation was indeed fun, because it was in essence, a Mario Kart - Crash Racing game for the modern generation. It didn't try to be something it's not. And then it added on things to differentiate itself in a good way, instead of changing any core fundamentals (the track editor/maker).

MNR fitted in a genre, kart racing. Like certain shooter game fit the shooter genre etc. And it is more fresh IMO with the user made tracks, but also the characters one can drive with up to own made cars etc.

1UP also just put out their review:

http://www.1up.com/review...gplanet-karting-review

"Inconsistency rules over this disappointing soap box derby"
Nate-Dog

• Total Posts : 2115
Re:Modnation Racers and LittleBigPlanet Karting - Tuesday, November 06, 2012 3:45 PM ( #4 )
Nutsack
It gives me the bad feeling that Sony is out to cash in on their famous characters and IP's in another way than the original IP itself. 

Welcome to the world of LittleBigPlanet Karting, Ratchet & Clank All 4 One and Q Force, the tons of extra God of War games which weren't needed, and the PS Vita Uncharted game.

thinking

• Total Posts : 374
Re:Modnation Racers and LittleBigPlanet Karting - Tuesday, November 06, 2012 4:49 PM ( #5 )
I saw this coming ever since I got a chance to be in the beta. LBPK was clearly uninspired and a thoughtless project. Normally I am saddened when a game is bad, since by nature It is in my best interest all games are good as I am a gamer and I would only benefit from games turning out to be good. But this game was just a bad idea from the start, and seeing how good MNR was to seeing Sony ruining a good thing by attaching the LBP name on this is sickening. I'm not normally glad a game flops, but this time is one of the times I am glad. It is in vein though as I know Sony wont learn from this mistake, they never learn they will run the gaming division into the ground.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread