The Future of the Industry

are92

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
The Future of the Industry - Thursday, February 21, 2013 11:47 AM ( #1 )
So for class I've been asked to find out what real gamers think about the future of the gaming industry, so I thought I'd ask around different forums to get real opinions. Any opinions you guys have on things such as what you think will happen to the games industry? For example, what do you think about pricing? Target audience and whether casual gamers playing on smartphones and things will become even more common? Whether the industry will continue to be dominated by Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony or do you think their time is over? Opinions on these and any other points you could give me would be great
Satanas

• Total Posts : 13047
Re:The Future of the Industry - Thursday, February 21, 2013 1:01 PM ( #2 )
Those three will continue to dominate gaming. While smartphone gaming is a viable, living market, it is not going to eliminate console gaming because the hardware just isn't there and won't be for a while.

You cannot have a visceral gaming experience on a phone with only touch as the interface, a 4-6 inch screen and smartphone hardware like the iPhone's A6 chip (even though it's quite good for a smartphone).

Yeah, I play games on my iPhone. But this market is not one I would call dedicated or serious. People who play games on their phones and not anywhere else did not 'give up' console or PC gaming to begin playing on their phones, and those who play on console or PC and their phones are not about to give it up for phone/tablet gaming. Phone and tablet gaming will continue to exist as a 'time-waster' types of games/apps, something you perhaps do on a train or bus, etc. I do not see the actual gaming market falling under because of it. People who game on their smartphones are already doing it, and smartphone use is high. It's not a thing that's coming and isn't here yet - it's already here, and it isn't wiping console/PC game usage off the board, nor will it. A smartphone game is something simple, it is not the immersive experience that games have become over the past few years and will continue to become. People still want that - gamers still want that. And casuals are at an all-time high in terms of interest because of stuff like Kinect and the Wii.

Sony and Microsoft will be fine, and so will Nintendo because they have far too much money to go under because of the Wii U's sales. This isn't a Sega situation for anybody. Game analysts are idiots, they are wrong about almost everything.
<message edited by Satanas on Thursday, February 21, 2013 1:02 PM>
SmokeyMcBear

• Total Posts : 14741
Re:The Future of the Industry - Thursday, February 21, 2013 1:51 PM ( #3 )
Sony mentioned the free to play model being implemented on the new playstation. I have a feeling this is where the industry is going to go in a big way, its basically why the smartphone gaming has taken off, at least in my opinion. i have about 20 games on my iphone, and have never paid for one of them. Sure the adds are annoying every now and then, but both people are happy. The developer is happy for add money and download numbers, consumers are happy because they get a free game albeit with some annoying add ons that can be removed if you pay. win win.

All work and no play.. makes odion go something something
ichimaru

• Total Posts : 2572
Re:The Future of the Industry - Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:11 PM ( #4 )
I have to agree with smokey here, free to play benifits both parties.
 also I think there is still potential for a new company to enter the arena, no one expected microsoft to take a stab outside of computers. heck when nitendo and sega where the Duking it out, no one expected an electronic company to go from headphones to gaming but Playstation blew up
  O Jerusalem, wash thine heart from wickedness, that thou mayest be saved. How long shall thy vain thoughts lodge within thee?- Jeremiah 4:14 False tears bring pai
B Man

• Total Posts : 8468
Re:The Future of the Industry - Thursday, February 21, 2013 5:16 PM ( #5 )
SmokeyMcBear

Sony mentioned the free to play model being implemented on the new playstation. I have a feeling this is where the industry is going to go in a big way, its basically why the smartphone gaming has taken off, at least in my opinion. i have about 20 games on my iphone, and have never paid for one of them. Sure the adds are annoying every now and then, but both people are happy. The developer is happy for add money and download numbers, consumers are happy because they get a free game albeit with some annoying add ons that can be removed if you pay. win win.

It's the way all MMOs have been forced to go.  I think the only MMO right now standing on a pay to play model is WoW, but that's because it already had success back when that was standard.  Any MMO to come out now seems to fail almost immediately and is switched to free-to-play until they decide to take down the servers.
WitnessInsanity

• Total Posts : 2
Re:The Future of the Industry - Sunday, February 24, 2013 4:08 PM ( #6 )
developers could begin putting a lot more content online, including things like even more DLC and maybe even beginning to move to digital copies of games and getting rid of discs. this could be a problem though if people have bad internet connection they may not be able to get the full experience of the service (especially if streaming is involved). however, this may reduce costs of development for not having to buy discs and cases (theyve already started on reducing the instruction booklet sizes), this might prevent prices from going up even further for a maybe a little bit and encourage people to buy more games (although thats not very likely at all)

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread