Computing solutions advice

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 22 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
Chard

• Total Posts : 507
  • Reward points : 0
Computing solutions advice - Thursday, March 28, 2013 12:22 AM ( #1 )
I've had my Dell notebook since January 2008 (over 5 years old). It has served me well but its time is drawing near. But things have changed a fair bit since 2008, and the thought of upgrading to something new is doing my head in, with all the options available now;
- Desktop PC / Mac Mini
- Windows notebook / MacBook Pro
- Windows tablet
- Android tablet / iPad

I originally got the notebook while at university, but it doesn't really leave the house now. Right now I have in my head that I could get a reliable desktop PC (or maybe a mac mini) for home use, then get a capable tablet for mobile use. I wouldn't necessarily need a gaming spec PC, but some gaming and emulation would be useful. Running photoshop smooothly would be important. 

TL;DR - How do you satisfy your home/mobile computing needs? Is it unrealistic to hope for one device that can do it all and still last for a long time? Do you think tablets will ultimately make notebooks obsolete?
DaThreats

• Total Posts : 1596
Re:Computing solutions advice - Thursday, March 28, 2013 12:37 AM ( #2 )
Chard

I've had my Dell notebook since January 2008 (over 5 years old). It has served me well but its time is drawing near. But things have changed a fair bit since 2008, and the thought of upgrading to something new is doing my head in, with all the options available now;
- Desktop PC / Mac Mini
- Windows tablet
- Android tablet / iPad

I originally got the notebook while at university, but it doesn't really leave the house now. Right now I have in my head that I could get a reliable desktop PC (or maybe a mac mini) for home use, then get a capable tablet for mobile use. I wouldn't necessarily need a gaming spec PC, but some gaming and emulation would be useful. Running photoshop smooothly would be important. 

TL;DR - How do you satisfy your home/mobile computing needs? Is it unrealistic to hope for one device that can do it all and still last for a long time? Do you think tablets will ultimately make notebooks obsolete?

It's time to make MS obsolete and end its dominance. So no to Windows.

iMac/Mac Mini with Ipad.

<message edited by DaThreats on Thursday, March 28, 2013 1:25 AM>

wishingW3L

• Total Posts : 1091
Re:Computing solutions advice - Thursday, March 28, 2013 1:22 AM ( #3 )
for Laptops and Tablets I would wait for Haswell (4th gen intel CPU coming out on May-June) so you can take advantage of Windows Blue. An update aimed at the new architecture of Haswell for better power-savings. Like for example, you can leave your laptop in standby while still running some background services like email or torrent with minimal power. Another promise is 8-10 of battery life (but only on integrated cards not discrete).

But anyway, no matter what you buy if you need it now then always aim for a 3rd gen i5 (Ivy Bridge) since  that CPU offers the best performance per dollar. i3 is underpowered for its value and the little performance increase on i7's is not worth the premium price according to many different becnchmarks. i7 it's a rip off. 

BTW Dell = best Desktops if you're not going to build your own and no one makes better Laptops and Tablets than Asus. The Zenbook, Vivo and Transformer are the best things you'll find on the market right now. Well, maybe Apple if you're willing to pay premium but seriously, just like the i7, it simply isn't worth it.
<message edited by wishingW3L on Thursday, March 28, 2013 2:07 AM>
FAT MAN GO BOOM

• Total Posts : 15453
Re:Computing solutions advice - Thursday, March 28, 2013 7:23 AM ( #4 )
DaThreats

Chard

- Desktop PC / Mac Mini
- Windows tablet
- Android tablet / iPad

iMac/Mac Mini with Ipad.

I agree... this is going to be my last windows machine... after having a mac and than switching for games I have been regretting every coming back to windows... never again... I am done with windows machines.. 

Either this spring or next spring I will have a new mac...  If I were you I would get an iMac over the mac mini...
<message edited by FAT MAN GO BOOM on Thursday, March 28, 2013 7:24 AM>
[ali
Letros

• Total Posts : 1264
Re:Computing solutions advice - Thursday, March 28, 2013 8:33 AM ( #5 )
I wouldn't recommend a Mac Mini for what you're intending to use it for. Is building a desktop out of the question? You can easily build one with a small footprint(case) for almost half the price as a comparable Mini.

I use W8 PC at home, and an OSX iMac at work. I cannot really recommend a Mac over a PC at the higher price point, especially considering you're already familiar with Windows. 

Is there a 1 computing device that does everything you want? Yes, it's called the Surface Pro(Wacom Digitizer for Photoshop too!), although I would strongly recommend waiting for the next revision this summer with the new Intel CPUs(much better battery life, connected in standby, etc.) You could simply have a Bluetooth M/Kb and a monitor at your desk at home, and take it with you on the go without all the limitations of iPad and Android tablets. 

TLDR, now is a very bad time to buy a new computing device with new revisions of tech shortly on the way. Hold onto that laptop for a few more months.
<message edited by Letros on Thursday, March 28, 2013 8:37 AM>

ZombieNinjaPanda

• Total Posts : 11431
Re:Computing solutions advice - Thursday, March 28, 2013 10:19 AM ( #6 )
DaThreats

Chard

- Desktop PC / Mac Mini
- Windows tablet
- Android tablet / iPad

iMac/Mac Mini with Ipad.

If you want overpriced underpowered pieces of crap that cannot be fixed manually that have to be sent in to be fixed that cannot have any new upgrades of HDD or Ram that do not play games, then listen to DaThreats and go with mac.

If you don't want any of the above and you want to play games at home, build a desktop. 

DaThreats

Re:Computing solutions advice - Thursday, March 28, 2013 10:21 AM ( #7 )
FAT MAN GO BOOM

DaThreats

Chard

- Desktop PC / Mac Mini
- Windows tablet
- Android tablet / iPad

iMac/Mac Mini with Ipad.

I agree... this is going to be my last windows machine... after having a mac and than switching for games I have been regretting every coming back to windows... never again... I am done with windows machines.. 

Either this spring or next spring I will have a new mac...  If I were you I would get an iMac over the mac mini...

Yeah, all my life I used Windows till I bought myself a Macbook Pro in 2011. Never again going back to Windows, having a Mac makes you feel luxurious, the presentation and experience is a whole lot better.

DaThreats

Re:Computing solutions advice - Thursday, March 28, 2013 10:25 AM ( #8 )
ZombieNinjaPanda

DaThreats

Chard

- Desktop PC / Mac Mini
- Windows tablet
- Android tablet / iPad

iMac/Mac Mini with Ipad.

If you want overpriced underpowered pieces of crap that cannot be fixed manually that have to be sent in to be fixed that cannot have any new upgrades of HDD or Ram that do not play games, then listen to DaThreats and go with mac.

If you don't want any of the above and you want to play games at home, build a desktop. 

You can upgrade both of them. I have 4gb Ram and I can upgrade to 8gb Ram if I wanted to, as well as change the HDD. And he is not using it to play games, besides more and more games are coming to Mac. The Mac/Macbook series have been rated the best experience for computer use. So you want that, get MAC.

<message edited by DaThreats on Thursday, March 28, 2013 10:27 AM>

ZombieNinjaPanda

Re:Computing solutions advice - Thursday, March 28, 2013 10:56 AM ( #9 )
DaThreats

ZombieNinjaPanda

DaThreats

Chard

- Desktop PC / Mac Mini
- Windows tablet
- Android tablet / iPad

iMac/Mac Mini with Ipad.

You can upgrade both of them. I have 4gb Ram and I can upgrade to 8gb Ram if I wanted to, as well as change the HDD. And he is not using it to play games, besides more and more games are coming to Mac. The Mac/Macbook series have been rated the best experience for computer use. So you want that, get MAC.

Nothing about this is factual. By more and more games you mean "Minor amount of games" as in maybe 3 games per year.  Plus, The new macs cannot upgrade ram, everything is soldered in. The mac series are only the best experience because of how simple they are, but even then they're a ****ty experience, almost comparable to Windows 8. 

IN conclusion, don't get mac if you want to actually do stuff with your computer. Unless you browse facebook and listen to music only then get a facebook machine AKA macbook.

Rage_S90

• Total Posts : 7899
Re:Computing solutions advice - Thursday, March 28, 2013 11:09 AM ( #10 )
Best experience I've had is with macbooks. So get that. 

DaThreats

Re:Computing solutions advice - Thursday, March 28, 2013 11:26 AM ( #11 )
ZombieNinjaPanda

DaThreats

ZombieNinjaPanda

DaThreats

Chard

- Desktop PC / Mac Mini
- Windows tablet
- Android tablet / iPad

iMac/Mac Mini with Ipad.

Nothing about this is factual. By more and more games you mean "Minor amount of games" as in maybe 3 games per year.  Plus, The new macs cannot upgrade ram, everything is soldered in. The mac series are only the best experience because of how simple they are, but even then they're a ****ty experience, almost comparable to Windows 8. 

IN conclusion, don't get mac if you want to actually do stuff with your computer. Unless you browse facebook and listen to music only then get a facebook machine AKA macbook.

No, you are starting to see more games compatible for MAC now, EA is working for their future games to be MAC compatible. If you seen about all the pc games funded on kickstarter, you will see it's compatible for mac. Well the Macs sometime before could have been upgraded. But Macs are meant to last you for many years like mine. You pay $29.99 for the newest software update yearly (which is optional) and that's it. There is no need to upgrade parts unless it's for hardcore gaming but he is not doing that. And no, I had Windows for many years till 2011, and once I got a Macbook pro its way better. The presentation and the luxury you feel using a Mac is a whole lot better and nothing with it compares.  
<message edited by DaThreats on Thursday, March 28, 2013 11:27 AM>

ZombieNinjaPanda

Re:Computing solutions advice - Thursday, March 28, 2013 11:39 AM ( #12 )
DaThreats

No, you are starting to see more games compatible for MAC now, EA is working for their future games to be MAC compatible. If you seen about all the pc games funded on kickstarter, you will see it's compatible for mac. Well the Macs sometime before could have been upgraded. But Macs are meant to last you for many years like mine. You pay $29.99 for the newest software update yearly (which is optional) and that's it. There is no need to upgrade parts unless it's for hardcore gaming but he is not doing that. And no, I had Windows for many years till 2011, and once I got a Macbook pro its way better. The presentation and the luxury you feel using a Mac is a whole lot better and nothing with it compares.   

Yeah, there's still probably less games for mac then there are for linux. Not to mention I don't know what kickstarter games you're talking about that are relevant or either good. I know Starcitizen is for PC only. I believe the new game by Obsidian is PC only. Idk about FTL.

Macs don't last for years. Friend got a 2011 macbook pro. Broke within the year. All he did was edit photos on it and go on facebook. And computers slow down, hardware upgrades are necessary. Especially for harddrive space and ram.

And what you're saying is incredibly subjective. I believe the presentation is worse and there is definitely no luxury using a mac. Just because you pay more doesn't make it more luxurious. So no, it doesn't feel better.

LightofDarkness

• Total Posts : 365
Re:Computing solutions advice - Thursday, March 28, 2013 3:23 PM ( #13 )
You can build a very capable gaming PC that will cater to all your photo and video editing needs for $600 - $800. No laptop in that price range will do the same. And going up to $1000 will net you a rather high end build that should easily max even games like BF3 at 1080p/60hz.

I'd say if it doesn't ever really leave the house, go with the desktop. Laptops are just no worth the money, especially if you have a smart phone or tablet that can browse the web on the go.

Macbooks are fine if all you're going to do with it is dick around or record some music. But the price premium is pretty outrageous, for the same price you could build yourself an outstanding desktop with a lot of change left over, especially when you consider that the half decent MBPs start at around $2000. Yes, you can dual boot Windows, but you could have built or bought a much more powerful machine for half the price, so the value consideration isn't really there.

I've been without a laptop for about 2 years now, and I don't miss it even a little. There's not really much place for them anymore; they're not mobile enough to compete with the convenience of tablets or smartphones while being too expensive and underpowered to be worthwhile for high-performance tasks. Unless you work a lot on the go, laptops are just not useful any more.

A desktop is a good investment right now. They're easy to maintain and always upgrade-able. It may be wise to wait for Haswell to drop (Intel's new CPU/Mobo specification) and compare the market then. I don't expect huge speed increases (10% on the upper end, I'd say) but they will likely be releasing new CPUs for that platform for another 2.5 years. Socket 2011 isn't going anywhere any time soon, though, which is the enthusiast spec. 

And if you want OSX, you can always build a Hackintosh and get the best of both worlds for much less ;)

@ZNP: yeah, MBPs aren't as reliable as people seem to believe. My friend takes extraordinary care of every device he owns, yet his MBP and his girlfriend's (2010 and 2011 respectively) have had to go into the shop at least 2 times each before the 2010 finally kicked the bucket in January. His Apple fanboy-ism is beginning to wane, so to speak :p 
<message edited by LightofDarkness on Thursday, March 28, 2013 3:27 PM>
Chard

• Total Posts : 507
Re:Computing solutions advice - Thursday, March 28, 2013 7:48 PM ( #14 )
Thanks for the responses, here are my thoughts thus far;

Regarding Macs: Clearly they are nice to use, otherwise people wouldn't rave about them the way they do. The question is how much is that niceness worth? I decided I couldn't justify the cost of a high end MacBook or iMac, and didn't wanted to be limited by a low end MacBook. I saw the Mac Mini as a potential way to get good MacBook performance without the ridiculous cost. Haven't ruled it out yet.

Regarding Notebooks: What LightofDarkness said is exactly what I had started thinking about laptops - Not the ideal portable option compared to a tablet, not the ideal home option compared to a desktop. Obviously they could offer decent all-round performance and would still fill a niche, but I think their relevance is fading.

Regarding tablets: I agree it's definitely worth waiting for the Haswell processors, as current tablets don't quite have the power and battery life comination to meet my needs. I was thinking the MS Surface has potential, since it would work with Photoshop and with a Wacom digitiser pen, which would be awesome for digital art on the go. However, Wacom themselves recently announced plans to bring out a competing tablet of their own later this year, so I'll definitely wait for that. https://ninjabeaver.net/2013/03/wacom-moving-into-portable-tablet-market-this-summer/

Regarding PC: I do like the idea of building my own. I'm just slightly nervous about the risk of doing it myself and having something go wrong. Is it difficult? Is there that much money to be saved by building as opposed to say buying one from Dell? There's potentially also the Valve Steambox to consider! I would also want a case that looks sleek and cool, not like a big ugly plastic box. What about Windows 7 vs 8?

Thanks again
Letros

Re:Computing solutions advice - Thursday, March 28, 2013 8:33 PM ( #15 )
Chard

Regarding PC: I do like the idea of building my own. I'm just slightly nervous about the risk of doing it myself and having something go wrong. Is it difficult? Is there that much money to be saved by building as opposed to say buying one from Dell? There's potentially also the Valve Steambox to consider! I would also want a case that looks sleek and cool, not like a big ugly plastic box. What about Windows 7 vs 8?

Thanks again

Building a desktop is very simple, essentially just putting parts in slots, screws into the case, press power(Takes about 30 min to an hour). It is pretty difficult to screw it up. You'll need a case, motherboard, CPU, Ram, HDD, Power Supply, OS, and an optional GPU if you would like to do more serious gaming. Hit up the PC building thread and we can give you more details, or PM me, I'd be happy to price something out for you.

W7 vs W8, I use W8, but don't have a strong opinion on either. It may be worthwhile to get used to 8, it's not going anywhere, plus you'll be used to it if you ever get a W8 tablet. I like 8 overall, there is a lot of polish coming in the summer update. TBH it's ahead of its time, hardware will adapt in the near future to take advantage of how it's designed.
<message edited by Letros on Thursday, March 28, 2013 8:35 PM>

DaThreats

Re:Computing solutions advice - Thursday, March 28, 2013 11:12 PM ( #16 )
ZombieNinjaPanda

DaThreats

Yeah, there's still probably less games for mac then there are for linux. Not to mention I don't know what kickstarter games you're talking about that are relevant or either good. I know Starcitizen is for PC only. I believe the new game by Obsidian is PC only. Idk about FTL.

Macs don't last for years. Friend got a 2011 macbook pro. Broke within the year. All he did was edit photos on it and go on facebook. And computers slow down, hardware upgrades are necessary. Especially for harddrive space and ram.

And what you're saying is incredibly subjective. I believe the presentation is worse and there is definitely no luxury using a mac. Just because you pay more doesn't make it more luxurious. So no, it doesn't feel better.

You don't know what you are talking about.

First of all, Obsidian is for Mac as well. Every year a higher number of Mac games are released. Look at Borderlands 2, Guild Wars 2, Simcity 2013, etc. The library keeps expanding. Look at Kickstarter now and the ones successful, and see how much of them are for MAC are in the stretch goals, you wil see about all of them. He is not using this new computer for gaming so this is irrevelent anyway.

What you saying is that a new lamborgini looking good is subjective. It does look good so just stop. You are in a very small minority that doesn't like it. You are actually the very first I know of that doesn't like it, compared to just about everybody else that does. Macs or any computer you get you want it to last for years. Why would you buy a computer just to plan to change a part unless the computer is for gaming? When you buy a computer, you want to see if it's good enough with the specs that will last you for years.  If you have to change the ram and/or hdd soon it's because it's the buyers fault buying so low of them to begin with. I started this Macbook pro in 2011 with 4gb ram and 750 gb ram, I know this will last me a few more years, don't have to change them at all. 

Besides Microsoft is obsolete, there isn't any reason to own a MS product unless for pc gaming. You can use wine or crossover to use a lot of Windows programs.

ZombieNinjaPanda

Re:Computing solutions advice - Thursday, March 28, 2013 11:23 PM ( #17 )
DaThreats

"What you're saying is subjective, what I'm saying that is opinion is not subjective

Because arguing with you is like arguing with a brick wall, (I'd probably get a better conversation from a real one) I'm just gonna say you're wrong and end it there. You are the number one type of person that Apple loves to sell to. Willing to pay out the ass for machinery that is dated, costs too much, and doesn't compare to its "counterparts" (in reality its superiors). 

Letros

Re:Computing solutions advice - Thursday, March 28, 2013 11:40 PM ( #18 )
DaThreats

ZombieNinjaPanda

DaThreats

You don't know what you are talking about.

First of all, Obsidian is for Mac as well. Every year a higher number of Mac games are released. Look at Borderlands 2, Guild Wars 2, Simcity 2013, etc. The library keeps expanding. Look at Kickstarter now and the ones successful, and see how much of them are for MAC are in the stretch goals, you wil see about all of them. He is not using this new computer for gaming so this is irrevelent anyway.

What you saying is that a new lamborgini looking good is subjective. It does look good so just stop. You are in a very small minority that doesn't like it. You are actually the very first I know of that doesn't like it, compared to just about everybody else that does. Macs or any computer you get you want it to last for years. Why would you buy a computer just to plan to change a part unless the computer is for gaming? When you buy a computer, you want to see if it's good enough with the specs that will last you for years.  If you have to change the ram and/or hdd soon it's because it's the buyers fault buying so low of them to begin with. I started this Macbook pro in 2011 with 4gb ram and 750 gb ram, I know this will last me a few more years, don't have to change them at all. 

Besides Microsoft is obsolete, there isn't any reason to own a MS product unless for pc gaming. You can use wine or crossover to use a lot of Windows programs.

You realize the OP posted about his Dell that lasted him for 5 years right? It seems to me he should just buy himself another Dell. Lay off the Steve Jobs Kool-Aid. Mac gaming is pretty bad too, yea it has some ports, but you'll get better framerates in similar games by running Windows Bootcamp because Mac OS drivers suck.

thebudgetgamer

• Total Posts : 7018
Re:Computing solutions advice - Thursday, March 28, 2013 11:50 PM ( #19 )
OSX > Windows

DaThreats

Re:Computing solutions advice - Thursday, March 28, 2013 11:59 PM ( #20 )
ZombieNinjaPanda

DaThreats

"What you're saying is subjective, what I'm saying that is opinion is not subjective

Because arguing with you is like arguing with a brick wall, (I'd probably get a better conversation from a real one) I'm just gonna say you're wrong and end it there. You are the number one type of person that Apple loves to sell to. Willing to pay out the ass for machinery that is dated, costs too much, and doesn't compare to its "counterparts" (in reality its superiors). 

Tell me how I am wrong. None of my parts were dated of my Macbook Pro when I bought it in 2011.

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 22 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread