Do you think the use of real life actors will become obsolete?

B Man

• Total Posts : 8479
  • Reward points : 0
Do you think the use of real life actors will become obsolete? - Saturday, April 06, 2013 1:05 PM ( #1 )
Just watched Tron again and was thinking, in 20+ years when we are most likely able to create life like looking people in film at an affordable cost, will the use of real actors, which cost much much more to hire become a thing of the past?  Will we just hire expert voice actors instead to voice over the CGI actors that appear just as realistic?
<message edited by B Man on Saturday, April 06, 2013 1:10 PM>
Kon

• Total Posts : 11111
Re:Do you think the use of real life actors will become obsolete? - Saturday, April 06, 2013 1:18 PM ( #2 )
I don't think i would like watch a movie without a real person acting.

edit: i mean all movies. The ones like Final Fantasy ones would be fine...
<message edited by Kon on Saturday, April 06, 2013 1:32 PM>
Stop Cyberbullying!

13/05/2014 - The day innovation died.
ZombieNinjaPanda

• Total Posts : 11431
Re:Do you think the use of real life actors will become obsolete? - Saturday, April 06, 2013 2:35 PM ( #3 )
The movie industry would take a hit. What's the point in watching half those movies then? I might as well stick to Anime

Satanas

• Total Posts : 13047
Re:Do you think the use of real life actors will become obsolete? - Saturday, April 06, 2013 2:51 PM ( #4 )
No, it won't become obsolete. 
wishingW3L

• Total Posts : 1091
Re:Do you think the use of real life actors will become obsolete? - Saturday, April 06, 2013 3:20 PM ( #5 )
nah. Real-Actors will always exist due to the fact that they are real. You can't ask the opinion about something to a computer generated character and lots of the money that movies make comes from fans obsessed with the actors like for example: Twilight Saga.

But I have been proven wrong already though. Just look at that Miku fad that weaboos seem to be so in love with. Fukin pathetic... They worship that thing like if it were a real singer!
<message edited by wishingW3L on Saturday, April 06, 2013 3:25 PM>
B Man

• Total Posts : 8479
Re:Do you think the use of real life actors will become obsolete? - Saturday, April 06, 2013 3:33 PM ( #6 )
wishingW3L

nah. Real-Actors will always exist due to the fact that they are real. You can't ask the opinion about something to a computer generated character and lots of the money that movies make comes from fans obsessed with the actors like for example: Twilight Saga.

But I have been proven wrong already though. Just look at that Miku fad that weaboos seem to be so in love with. Fukin pathetic... They worship that thing like if it were a real singer!

Exactly,  you could create a perfect actor/actress and reuse them for multiple movies. 

wishingW3L

• Total Posts : 1091
Re:Do you think the use of real life actors will become obsolete? - Saturday, April 06, 2013 5:10 PM ( #7 )
B Man

wishingW3L

Exactly,  you could create a perfect actor/actress and reuse them for multiple movies. 

I'm hugely surprised that you grasped the idea so fast! I'm so used to speak to idiots on the main site and other forums that I was totally expecting someone to misinterpret everything.  lol

But anyway, to elaborate more on it...

A real actor kind of gives a whole new layer to a character like for example, Jack Sparrow wouldn't have been the same kind of character if other person than Depp would have acted the part, so in this case you become a fan of him as an actor and many people cares about this particular thing and then follow his work on other movies. But an anime character like Guts (my avatar) appearing on another anime is different because he doesn't exist. He'd be like a whole new person because he has no real persona or characteristics to give uniqueness to the acting of a new character, he is just a creation after all that came directly from the mind of one man, its writer Miura.

sjaakiejj

• Total Posts : 858
Re:Do you think the use of real life actors will become obsolete? - Saturday, April 06, 2013 5:35 PM ( #8 )
I don't see the point of replacing them with CGI actors. Even if we were to go with the idea of creating a virtual actor, that actor would need the same voice actor for every film he plays in as well. If one of these virtual actors would become popular, their costs would rise to the same heights as normal actors. Then you need motion capture, highly advanced rendering systems, new 3D models for every film to deal with clothing, hair and other minor differences, which ends up making the final product far more expensive than the real actor counterpart.
"I dont need to read Sonys technical crap, its for the fanboys who believe 6 year old tech is still some super computer lol. "

^^
Front-pagers are funny
redDevil87

• Total Posts : 8354
Re:Do you think the use of real life actors will become obsolete? - Saturday, April 06, 2013 6:04 PM ( #9 )
No way. CGI will never be able to capture the the whole performance an actor can pull off on screen. Natural body language, facial expressions, actors interpretations of how the scene should play out, improvisation, directors and cast giving feedback to each other etc. Take Taxi Driver for example, the way DeNiro played Travis was perfect. The whole mirror scene was improv, it went onto become an infamous scene in cinema.

Scenes like these could never be topped by CGI:

Based Denzel at his best. This whole performance mayne, so good! CGI and voice acting will never touch this.

A a few others:

The part where Leo cut's his hand wasn't in the script, it actually happened and they continued filming. I won't ruin the rest, but what happens because of the cut to his hand and what he does, just adds to the scene.

Tbh i think it would also kill the appeal of a film, everything would seem too fake, plus Hollywood need big names for awards nights, selling tickets and a name to create a buzz around the film.

<message edited by redDevil87 on Saturday, April 06, 2013 6:08 PM>

Max Power

• Total Posts : 6632
Re:Do you think the use of real life actors will become obsolete? - Saturday, April 06, 2013 6:16 PM ( #10 )
CGI over real people would be pretty expensive and time consuming.
ZoyosJD

• Total Posts : 457
Re:Do you think the use of real life actors will become obsolete? - Saturday, April 06, 2013 6:22 PM ( #11 )
B Man

Just watched Tron again and was thinking, in 20+ years when we are most likely able to create life like looking people in film at an affordable cost, will the use of real actors, which cost much much more to hire become a thing of the past?  Will we just hire expert voice actors instead to voice over the CGI actors that appear just as realistic?

???

Even if you can perfectly render a human on a say $500 rig, you still need an actor or extremely talented animator and voice actor (probably just as expensive and far more time consuming), otherwise it's just another pretty face. 

IF your talking about the point when AI reactions can realistically emulate human reactions, you need to clarify...*skynet*...as that is the only other possibility for reproducing human reaction without an actor. 

coolbeans

• Total Posts : 3288
Re:Do you think the use of real life actors will become obsolete? - Saturday, April 06, 2013 6:29 PM ( #12 )
Like red said, CGI will always lack nuance or the ability to improv that a real-life actor has at his/her disposal.  

ichimaru

• Total Posts : 2572
Re:Do you think the use of real life actors will become obsolete? - Saturday, April 06, 2013 8:00 PM ( #13 )
  nope animation can only emulate human emotion, which is relative in execution.  actors do things that aren't scripted, taking directors by pleasant surprise and  connecting more powerfully with the audience
  O Jerusalem, wash thine heart from wickedness, that thou mayest be saved. How long shall thy vain thoughts lodge within thee?- Jeremiah 4:14 False tears bring pai

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread