NVIDIA Tegra 5 More Powerful than Sony PS3

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 34 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
joeorc

• Total Posts : 211
  • Reward points : 0
NVIDIA Tegra 5 More Powerful than Sony PS3 - Thursday, April 11, 2013 12:29 PM ( #1 )

Many people will tell you that the traditional video game console is on its last legs, because everyone is just playing games on smartphones and tablets now. The horsepower is there, but purists will still tell you that an Xbox 360 or a PS3 still offers a superior  experience over an iPhone or Android device. But what about the NVIDIA Tegra 5 chip? How powerful is that thing?   
According to NVIDIA, the upcoming Tegra 5 will be able to “outperform” the likes of the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360. This comes by way of senior vice president of content and technology  Tamsai. The gaming performance is certainly improving, as evidenced by Tegra 4 and Project SHIELD. But can we put this in more quantitative terms?  Well, if you take the current PlayStation 3, you’ll find that it is rated at 200 GFLOPS. By comparison, the Tegra 3 is just 12 GFLOPS. However, the Tegra 4 is said to bring a seven-fold increase to that, increasing performance to about 80 FLOPS. With the Tegra 5 improving on that even further, it’s not that far-fetched to see it break the 200 GFLOPS threshold.  That being said, by the time it’s ready, the PS4 will likely already be out and that’s being rated at 1800 GFLOPS, still putting the  chip behind. If we assume the evolution keeps up its current pace, though, a Tegra 6 could be comparable to what we see in the PS4, possibly some time in 2016 or so.
http://www.geek.com/mobile/nvidia-believes-tegra-5-will-outperform-a-ps3-1550771/http://www.geek.com/mobile/nvidia-believes-tegra-5-will-outperform-a-ps3-1550771/
These Mobile chip's are advancing at such a fast pace, its no wonder they are able to make such advanced Games for them and the investment to make those games are cheaper. which is exactly why Nintendo , Microsoft and Sony are putting quite a bit of resources and investing into these Chip set's for their new platforms. Big benefit to the market.

<message edited by joeorc on Thursday, April 11, 2013 12:32 PM>
TheMART

• Total Posts : 3356
Re:NVIDIA Tegra 5 More Powerful than Sony PS3 - Thursday, April 11, 2013 2:18 PM ( #2 )
I've heard a lot of **** in the past too.

Tegra 3 would be more powerful then... Tegra 4 will be more powerful then...
Yet, I've not seen a phone or tablet run games that even this gen consoles pump out.

Besides the fact that it ain't just about some individual number like GFLOPS. When this Tegra 5 is put in another range of tablets or phones, will they put 8GB of GDDR5 ram in it too?

But sure, the techmarket advances constantly, and even at an ever faster speed it seems.

Irishguy95

• Total Posts : 578
Re:NVIDIA Tegra 5 More Powerful than Sony PS3 - Thursday, April 11, 2013 2:22 PM ( #3 )
It's not **** if it's true/
iNcRiMiNaTi

• Total Posts : 1357
Re:NVIDIA Tegra 5 More Powerful than Sony PS3 - Thursday, April 11, 2013 2:34 PM ( #4 )
The battery life on my s3 is horrible and the phone gets pretty hot when I play games. I can only imagine the kind of battery life this will have on a smartphone.
<message edited by iNcRiMiNaTi on Thursday, April 11, 2013 2:35 PM>
Ducky

• Total Posts : 2351
Re:NVIDIA Tegra 5 More Powerful than Sony PS3 - Thursday, April 11, 2013 2:57 PM ( #5 )
FIVE TIME FIVE TIME FIVE TIME FIVE TIME FIVE TIME

<message edited by Ducky on Thursday, April 11, 2013 3:01 PM>
Satanas

• Total Posts : 13047
Re:NVIDIA Tegra 5 More Powerful than Sony PS3 - Thursday, April 11, 2013 2:59 PM ( #6 )
It probably will outperform the PS3. But would you really want to play a fully-featured title like Uncharted or Metal Gear Solid on something of that size? The answer is no. People use their phones to play simple games as the controls are extremely prohibitive and the experience is anything but immersive. Having said that Rayman Jungle Run is one of the best iPhone games I've played because it understands that quite well
<message edited by Satanas on Thursday, April 11, 2013 3:00 PM>
joeorc

Re:NVIDIA Tegra 5 More Powerful than Sony PS3 - Thursday, April 11, 2013 3:06 PM ( #7 )
TheMART at Xboxkings

Yet, I've not seen a phone or tablet run games that even this gen consoles pump out.

Besides the fact that it ain't just about some individual number like GFLOPS. When this Tegra 5 is put in another range of tablets or phones, will they put 8GB of GDDR5 ram in it too?

But sure, the techmarket advances constantly, and even at an ever faster speed it seems.

I think you are looking at this in a very narrow way to look at this: its not that the new consoles that are being produced is much more robust hardware. Its the very fact than an embedded mobile chipset for a smartphone is able to offer to the consumer's a very advanced game mechanic's with advanced physic's an lighting, and offer directX 11 and shader model 4.1 in smartphones!

in the past 7 year's the advancement for these smartphone chipsets have moved gaming from this:

to this:

we are talking about now running games that 7 years ago would have only been made for Game console's and PC!

the entire dynamic change in the game development for platforms have changed now, its no longer just about  dedicated Game console's and PC's getting priority for developer's to make advanced game's on such platform's now smartphone's , Tablets and Smart TV's the arena has changed. 

even Microsoft is using mobile chipsets for windows PC's

http://www.itproportal.com/2013/04/04/qualcomm-mobile-phone-can-be-main-game-console-many-people/

This is quite a change, Even sony is putting wireless Game pad support for xperia smart devices. why do you think they are doing this? They know the trends the fact that 7 years ago if you asked many gamer's they would ever think a smartphone would be running a game like GTA: Vice city and not only run it well but with increased resolution over the game console that it was developed for.

its now a general mobile computing communication platform has the viability to run not just some Games but really advanced game's!

no matter how you slice that this is disruptive.

<message edited by joeorc on Thursday, April 11, 2013 3:09 PM>
joeorc

Re:NVIDIA Tegra 5 More Powerful than Sony PS3 - Thursday, April 11, 2013 3:27 PM ( #8 )
Satanas

It probably will outperform the PS3. But would you really want to play a fully-featured title like Uncharted or Metal Gear Solid on something of that size? The answer is no. People use their phones to play simple games as the controls are extremely prohibitive and the experience is anything but immersive. Having said that Rayman Jungle Run is one of the best iPhone games I've played because it understands that quite well

but that is the thing though, you do not have to, most all smartphones and Tablets contain HDMI output here is an example:

Samsung Galaxy S III Gameplay with Sixaxis PS3 Controller and HDMI/MHL Cable

on a 42" HD TV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ApJ825UWDQ

That's what this is all about this is a very advanced Game running on a communication's device! that's the main point this device was made for Communication, and way back in the day 9 year's ago the PDA was Absorbed into the smartphone! Now look at the smartphone and what it's doing in this market.

the very fact that every smartphone being made todate over 80% are running with HDMI output and that will only further increase. 

ZombieNinjaPanda

• Total Posts : 11431
Re:NVIDIA Tegra 5 More Powerful than Sony PS3 - Thursday, April 11, 2013 3:31 PM ( #9 )
TheMART at Xboxkings

Article says PS3, not PS4. Try reading instead of jumping to fanboy delusion.  Defense mode (that's the word I was lookin for).
<message edited by ZombieNinjaPanda on Thursday, April 11, 2013 3:34 PM>

SmokeyMcBear

• Total Posts : 14732
Re:NVIDIA Tegra 5 More Powerful than Sony PS3 - Thursday, April 11, 2013 3:51 PM ( #10 )
haha, look who's defensive.

All work and no play.. makes odion go something something
Irishguy95

Re:NVIDIA Tegra 5 More Powerful than Sony PS3 - Thursday, April 11, 2013 3:56 PM ( #11 )
Come on Smokey he was clearly being extremely defensive and yet again showing his lack of knowledge on anything hardware related. Calling someone out on being defensive =/= being defensive. I agree with Satanas and Joerc anyway, I don't want to play on a small screen over a big screen, but...there are ways around that/
<message edited by Irishguy95 on Thursday, April 11, 2013 3:59 PM>
SmokeyMcBear

• Total Posts : 14732
Re:NVIDIA Tegra 5 More Powerful than Sony PS3 - Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:00 PM ( #12 )
I actually thought he was joking. If he wasnt, then nuts to me, cuz thats just dumb. I joke about OMG 8GB GDDR5!!!!! all the time, and laugh at people who think I'm being serious.

All work and no play.. makes odion go something something
Ducky

• Total Posts : 2351
Re:NVIDIA Tegra 5 More Powerful than Sony PS3 - Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:00 PM ( #13 )
Aww man, I thought the title was that  Tegra was 5 times more powerful.
I have the reading comprehension skills of a duck. Did the spinaroonie for no reason too. 
Irishguy95

Re:NVIDIA Tegra 5 More Powerful than Sony PS3 - Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:05 PM ( #14 )
Lack of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_law knowledge and his general defensive state combined with past posts lead me to believe he is dead serious
TheMART

Re:NVIDIA Tegra 5 More Powerful than Sony PS3 - Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:10 PM ( #15 )
It doesn't have a BluRay drive either yo

Irishguy95

Re:NVIDIA Tegra 5 More Powerful than Sony PS3 - Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:14 PM ( #16 )
Thankfully it doesn't have one.
Satanas

• Total Posts : 13047
Re:NVIDIA Tegra 5 More Powerful than Sony PS3 - Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:14 PM ( #17 )
joeorc

Satanas

but that is the thing though, you do not have to, most all smartphones and Tablets contain HDMI output here is an example:

Samsung Galaxy S III Gameplay with Sixaxis PS3 Controller and HDMI/MHL Cable

on a 42" HD TV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ApJ825UWDQ

That's what this is all about this is a very advanced Game running on a communication's device! that's the main point this device was made for Communication, and way back in the day 9 year's ago the PDA was Absorbed into the smartphone! Now look at the smartphone and what it's doing in this market.

the very fact that every smartphone being made todate over 80% are running with HDMI output and that will only further increase. 

I understand where you're going with this but at that point in time you've defeated the convenience of the device. Now, when we have phones that rival modern graphics (as in, not a PS3-league device launching in PS4 times) at an attractive price point, we'll see consoles die for sure. And that time might come. But when we speak of devices that "might" beat 2006 hardware, it's impressive for sure, but a clear image of where we ultimately need to get with mobile gaming for it to penetrate the dedicated gaming market

TheMART

Re:NVIDIA Tegra 5 More Powerful than Sony PS3 - Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:16 PM ( #18 )
Besides the fact that a HDMI out still doesn't give a touchdevice gaming buttons... No buttons, no game.

WildArmed

• Total Posts : 10041
Re:NVIDIA Tegra 5 More Powerful than Sony PS3 - Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:17 PM ( #19 )
ZombieNinjaPanda

TheMART at Xboxkings

Article says PS3, not PS4. Try reading instead of jumping to fanboy delusion.  Defense mode (that's the word I was lookin for).

Pretty sure that part was a joke, atleast that's how I read it. 

Irishguy95

Re:NVIDIA Tegra 5 More Powerful than Sony PS3 - Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:20 PM ( #20 )
I don't think that will ever happen Satanas... powerful hardware will always be big before it is small, thus phones will always be behind the line
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 34 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread