4K TVs already affordable

LKHGFDSA

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
4K TVs already affordable - Monday, April 15, 2013 1:31 PM ( #1 )
http://  www.engadget.com /2013/04/15/seiki-offcially-prices-its-50-inch-4k-tv-at-1500-for-late-april/

I remember alot of people on this site were saying the PS4 doesn't need 4K res games because 4K TVs are too expensive, even though we have about 10 years for the price to come down. 
Now, many months before the console is even released, Ultra HD TVs are at reasonable prices.

Makes me mad that they scrapped having 4k res games.
Remember when they even demoed GT5 in 4K res?

PS4 is already outdated with it's 1080p maximum resolution.

I know everyone's gonna get mad and disagree with what I said, but whatever.
my point is, I told you so. They're affordable.
<message edited by LKHGFDSA on Monday, April 15, 2013 1:32 PM>
B Man

• Total Posts : 8468
Re:4K TVs already affordable - Monday, April 15, 2013 1:35 PM ( #2 )
Yea well you can also get some really cheap 1080p TVs, only they are at 60hz and are ugly as hell.  Guarantee this will be the same compared to 4K TVs from Companies people have actually heard of.

Quality 4K TVs won't be comparable to current HD TV prices for a few years.  Save it for PS5.
ZoyosJD

• Total Posts : 456
Re:4K TVs already affordable - Monday, April 15, 2013 2:38 PM ( #3 )
LKHGFDSA

http://  www.engadget.com /2013/04/15/seiki-offcially-prices-its-50-inch-4k-tv-at-1500-for-late-april/

I remember alot of people on this site were saying the PS4 doesn't need 4K res games because 4K TVs are too expensive, even though we have about 10 years for the price to come down. 
Now, many months before the console is even released, Ultra HD TVs are at reasonable prices.

Makes me mad that they scrapped having 4k res games.
Remember when they even demoed GT5 in 4K res?

PS4 is already outdated with it's 1080p maximum resolution.

I know everyone's gonna get mad and disagree with what I said, but whatever.
my point is, I told you so. They're affordable.

I already had a thread on this. The price on that particular TV is now $1300 in the states w/free shipping. It's the cheapest you can find outside of China. 

Be warned, it doesn't have support for more that 30FPS at 4k due to the limitation of HDMI 1.4 (also no displayport), and you need a GTX 680 or a Radeon 7970 ($400 GPUs) just to run a game like BF3 at 4k 30FPS. 

Across Amazon, Tiger direct, Walmart, etc. most of there TVs have been rated in the 4-5 star range with certain models apparently having specific problems, so they have a decent track record, but I'm still waiting it out for HDMI 2.0 if nothing else.

People are just ridiculous thinking it cost 40 times as much just to get 4 times the resolution 1080p on a single TV.
B Man

• Total Posts : 8468
Re:4K TVs already affordable - Monday, April 15, 2013 2:57 PM ( #4 )
ZoyosJD

People are just ridiculous thinking it cost 40 times as much just to get 4 times the resolution 1080p on a single TV.

It was ridiculous at how expensive DVD players were when they first came out compared to VCRs, even though it was much like a CD player.  It was ridiculous when Blu-Ray players came out, which were very similar to DVD players.  New technology is expensive at first, there's no getting around it.

I don't think anyone believes a 4K TV will cost $40,000.  $5,000-10,000 is very realistic though.
ZoyosJD

• Total Posts : 456
Re:4K TVs already affordable - Monday, April 15, 2013 3:23 PM ( #5 )
B Man

It was ridiculous at how expensive DVD players were when they first came out compared to VCRs, even though it was much like a CD player.  It was ridiculous when Blu-Ray players came out, which were very similar to DVD players.  New technology is expensive at first, there's no getting around it.

I don't think anyone believes a 4K TV will cost $40,000.  $5,000-10,000 is very realistic though.

Want to find quotes of $30-40k from the last 6 months look at those who argued with me on my thread. Some expecting $20,000 prices into 2014.

Sony's 55" 4k TV is already set for $5000 in April (if anyone recalls that is exactly what I had up for a bet that mart refused). If anyone prices even slightly higher than them and can't beat them in quality they are dead in the water.  84" 4k sets are already going for sub $10k when they were $20-40k a few months back. 

It really doesn't cost that much, things just have to be re-engineered until yields are suitable for mass market production. 

Think about how many of those $40k 4ktvs will never be sold at that price. It is initially expensive, but with low yields and prices no one will pay for anyway once they drop in price 2 months later, they have mark up the sets even more, and hold off as long as they can for mass production level yields that are profitable.  It's about refining the tech in the meantime.

A lot of Moore's law is waiting for yields to go up enough to mass produce the tech to fund the testing and  re-engineering of said product. 

This is a bit more sudden than usual, but that is because 4ktv price war have been going on in china for the last 2+ years without ever hearing a peep about it here.
<message edited by ZoyosJD on Monday, April 15, 2013 3:26 PM>
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

• Total Posts : 10816
Re:4K TVs already affordable - Wednesday, April 17, 2013 7:10 PM ( #6 )
I'd rather get a 16k tv. 4k is so...this gen. Eww
Formerly Known as Hellbringer. PSN: KenshinBATT0USAI 3DS: 2895-6892-5663 Steam: Vashlion

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread