why OUYA is not a bad idea for a living room Game console

joeorc

• Total Posts : 211
  • Reward points : 0
why OUYA is not a bad idea for a living room Game console - Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:40 AM ( #1 )
I have seen many Gamer's slight the OUYA based on its just "Cheap Mobile Game's" and why would i want that in the living room. there is a few advantages you may not yet know about the OUYA. for one a very big one: http://cdn.arstechnica.ne...2.12.50-PM-640x448.png if you notice the entire Game console board and chip, memory is all a single board. so that means outright. you can upgrade your OUYA with an entire new updated system for A: repair B: a new release of the system itself, thus your saves and content can be migrated quickly and very pointed easy, but your entire systems hardware can be updated for a very small cost over time. one single board computer. the casing stays the same but the board can get updated and pop in a new board. example: The Ouya is not particularly difficult to take apart. Only four Hex screws hold it together, and the layout of the components are easy to navigate—there's only a motherboard with a large heat sink attached to it (large for its size, that is). There are also a few small weights on the inside bottom of the case that keeps the console grounded when cables are plugged in. http://www.ifixit.com/Tea..n/Ouya+Teardown/14224/1 Your entire console can be updated over time many times with low cost increased capability with enduser upgrade, not just storage but your entire system board hot swappable boards game console! I think many may be all to quick to write this off as a very viable console for the living room. with upgrade ability can be done quickly and at low cost these hot swapping board game consoles may be more viable for developer's low cost investment higher ROI. and consumer's who want low cost high support for your system. without breaking the bank both for developers and consumer's.
timmyp53

• Total Posts : 2714
Re:why OUYA is not a bad idea for a living room Game console - Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:50 AM ( #2 )
- [This post was marked as helpful]
So hard to read bro.  Little better but not much.

I have seen many Gamer's slight the OUYA based on its just "Cheap Mobile Game's" and why would i want that in the living room. there is a few advantages you may not yet know about the OUYA.  for one a very big one: 

if you notice the entire Game console board and chip, memory is all a single board. so that means outright. you can upgrade your OUYA with an entire new updated system for A: repair B: a new release of the system itself, thus your saves and content can be migrated quickly and very pointed easy, but your entire systems hardware can be updated for a very small cost over time. one single board computer. the casing stays the same but the board can get updated and pop in a new board. 

The Ouya is not particularly difficult to take apart. Only four Hex screws hold it together, and the layout of the components are easy to navigate—there's only a motherboard with a large heat sink attached to it (large for its size, that is). There are also a few small weights on the inside bottom of the case that keeps the console grounded when cables are plugged in. 

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Ouya+Teardown/14224/1 <<< Your entire console can be updated over time many times with low cost increased capability with enduser upgrade, not just storage but your entire system board hot swappable boards game console! I think many may be all to quick to write this off as a very viable console for the living room. with upgrade ability can be done quickly and at low cost these hot swapping board game consoles may be more viable for developer's low cost investment higher ROI. and consumer's who want low cost high support for your system. without breaking the bank both for developers and consumer's. 

joeorc

Re:why OUYA is not a bad idea for a living room Game console - Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:51 AM ( #3 )
"Our goal is to potentially refresh OUYA on a yearly basis. That's something we're thinking about right now. That's something we're talking to nVidia about. As the chips improve, and also just what the capabilities are... but, OUYA's not going to have the 6-7 year life cycle."-Uhrman
joeorc

Re:why OUYA is not a bad idea for a living room Game console - Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:55 AM ( #4 )
thanks Timmyp53 for doing that im on my smartphone while i was posting that its much better with my tablet but i do not have it on me...lol
timmyp53

• Total Posts : 2714
Re:why OUYA is not a bad idea for a living room Game console - Wednesday, May 15, 2013 8:56 AM ( #5 )
It's a decent idea but the components are a bit weak. I guess if the price point attracts customers thats all that really matters but the type of experiences you can have is pretty limited.
joeorc

Re:why OUYA is not a bad idea for a living room Game console - Wednesday, May 15, 2013 9:07 AM ( #6 )
well that depends its hardware is more robust than the Wii! which makes it very viable for the living room. the fact that this chip can handle shader model 3 and directX10 as a matter of fact the next OUYA upgrade will even be close to the WiiU graphic's capabilities..the WiiU and this is a mobile chipset! http://ouyaforum.com/show...re-Tegra-3-and-Tegra-4 the time this generation is well on its way this will surpass the WiiU and be near the PS4 and The next xbox! by the time this next generation will be nearing the middle of its generation, 3RD party Game engines are being made to take advantages of these chipset's Unity 3D is one such Game engine, hell even Sony and Nintendo are supporting that very game engine for the platforms.
ZombieNinjaPanda

• Total Posts : 11431
Re:why OUYA is not a bad idea for a living room Game console - Wednesday, May 15, 2013 9:18 AM ( #7 )
joeorc

thanks Timmyp53 for doing that im on my smartphone while i was posting that its much better with my tablet but i do not have it on me...lol

THe irony is that, you're on something that is already more powerful than the OUYA and can do much more, and is mobile. That's what people don't understand. The OUYA makes the WIIU look like a gaming rig. It's DOA, no devs will wanna support it because the creators encouraged hacking. 

B Man

• Total Posts : 8468
Re:why OUYA is not a bad idea for a living room Game console - Wednesday, May 15, 2013 4:32 PM ( #8 )
Nvidia just killed any chance of OUYA becoming a hit.  If people really want an alternative to cell phone gaming NOT on a cellphone, this would be the obvious choice:   

http://mashable.com/2013/05/14/nvidia-shield-preorders/

<message edited by B Man on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 4:33 PM>
-Neon-

• Total Posts : 1317
Re:why OUYA is not a bad idea for a living room Game console - Wednesday, May 15, 2013 4:55 PM ( #9 )
Or you could connect your tablet up to the tv and pair it with a bluetooth controller.....

B Man

Re:why OUYA is not a bad idea for a living room Game console - Wednesday, May 15, 2013 4:57 PM ( #10 )
-Neon-

Or you could connect your tablet up to the tv and pair it with a bluetooth controller.....

Hey I'm not defending either product, I think both are useless.  If I had to pick one though, it'd be the shield.
Nizzy79

• Total Posts : 2688
Re:why OUYA is not a bad idea for a living room Game console - Wednesday, May 15, 2013 7:07 PM ( #11 )
B Man

-Neon-

Hey I'm not defending either product, I think both are useless.  If I had to pick one though, it'd be the shield.

i like mine and that's all that matters 
movies i rated on IMDb SmilesAreFree 
joeorc

Re:why OUYA is not a bad idea for a living room Game console - Thursday, May 16, 2013 9:09 AM ( #12 )
  you and other's I think need to read up on this systems hardware, before you make a claim like that @ZombieNinjaPanda http://ouyaforum.com/show...re-Tegra-3-and-Tegra-4
ZombieNinjaPanda

• Total Posts : 11431
Re:why OUYA is not a bad idea for a living room Game console - Thursday, May 16, 2013 9:23 AM ( #13 )
Nah sorry, when there are phones better than the device you're pointing out, I stand by my claim.

Satanas

• Total Posts : 13047
Re:why OUYA is not a bad idea for a living room Game console - Friday, May 17, 2013 3:59 PM ( #14 )
ZombieNinjaPanda

THe irony is that, you're on something that is already more powerful than the OUYA and can do much more, and is mobile. That's what people don't understand. The OUYA makes the WIIU look like a gaming rig. It's DOA, no devs will wanna support it because the creators encouraged hacking. 

I can't take this thing seriously. The name is horrendous, the games look godawful, and the thing effectively neutralizes its attractiveness (that it didn't have anyway) by not actually having use outside of gaming, unlike simply having a smartphone or game console.

The $100 price point isn't attractive. I don't think I'd get one even if it were free, unless it somehow (and it won't, let's face it) was the sole platform for some desirable 'killer apps'.
B Man

Re:why OUYA is not a bad idea for a living room Game console - Friday, May 17, 2013 4:15 PM ( #15 )
Satanas

ZombieNinjaPanda

I can't take this thing seriously. The name is horrendous, the games look godawful, and the thing effectively neutralizes its attractiveness (that it didn't have anyway) by not actually having use outside of gaming, unlike simply having a smartphone or game console.

The $100 price point isn't attractive. I don't think I'd get one even if it were free, unless it somehow (and it won't, let's face it) was the sole platform for some desirable 'killer apps'.

If it were $20 I'd get one, that's if it could act as a Google TV box.
Satanas

• Total Posts : 13047
Re:why OUYA is not a bad idea for a living room Game console - Friday, May 17, 2013 4:31 PM ( #16 )
B Man

If it were $20 I'd get one, that's if it could act as a Google TV box.

It probably can't. I currently have an Apple TV that I'm pretty satisfied with, I definitely wouldn't get an OUYA to place next to it.

It is funny that while attempting to look at the OUYA's merits we are discussing things it probably can't do and it isn't even made for, what a terrible piece of crap
<message edited by Satanas on Friday, May 17, 2013 4:32 PM>

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message