Game Development Help

MattyG

• Total Posts : 3354
  • Reward points : 0
Game Development Help - Friday, May 17, 2013 9:42 PM ( #1 )
Hey guys, I want to learn the basics of game development but I don't know where to start. More specifically, I want to learn to use the Unity engine. If you guys could give me any tips on where to start it would be much appreciated. It's going to be pretty difficult since I know little to nothing about game development, but I'm determined to learn! 

Bladesfist

• Total Posts : 783
Re:Game Development Help - Saturday, May 18, 2013 1:34 AM ( #2 )
MattyG

Hey guys, I want to learn the basics of game development but I don't know where to start. More specifically, I want to learn to use the Unity engine. If you guys could give me any tips on where to start it would be much appreciated. It's going to be pretty difficult since I know little to nothing about game development, but I'm determined to learn! 

Have you picked a part of game development that interests you? If you need help with Scripting then feel free to ask me for some tips. If you are completely new to programming then I would recommend downloading the C# Yellow Book (It's free). Unity has a huge tutorial section so why not start there. http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

• Total Posts : 10857
Re:Game Development Help - Saturday, May 18, 2013 1:40 AM ( #3 )
MattyG

It's funny that you say this Matty cause I'm going into school for exactly this. Honestly, stuff like this is EXTREMELY hard to learn alone. I suggest you just study the basics of art a bit, maybe learn a bit of 3D modelling, learn a bit of basic coding. I wouldn't go into anything too serious yet just because, you'll learn it in school. 

(sure you can learn it all on your own, but the paper is important to have later on in life.)
Formerly Known as Hellbringer. PSN: KenshinBATT0USAI 3DS: 2895-6892-5663 Steam: Vashlion
Bladesfist

Re:Game Development Help - Saturday, May 18, 2013 2:27 AM ( #4 )
Vashlion

MattyG

It's funny that you say this Matty cause I'm going into school for exactly this. Honestly, stuff like this is EXTREMELY hard to learn alone. I suggest you just study the basics of art a bit, maybe learn a bit of 3D modelling, learn a bit of basic coding. I wouldn't go into anything too serious yet just because, you'll learn it in school. 

(sure you can learn it all on your own, but the paper is important to have later on in life.)

"I wouldn't go into anything too serious yet just because, you'll learn it in school. " This is completely incorrect. You will learn a lot more and a lot faster by just doing than you will via school.
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

Re:Game Development Help - Saturday, May 18, 2013 3:12 AM ( #5 )
Bladesfist

Vashlion

MattyG

"I wouldn't go into anything too serious yet just because, you'll learn it in school. " This is completely incorrect. You will learn a lot more and a lot faster by just doing than you will via school.

Probably not. With school you got plenty of resources and experts who know this field inside out to help you out and teach you things. Whereas learning on your own there are very few resources you have. Sure you can ask on the internet, but who do you have helping you? Amateurs at best.

That aside, as important as it is to know how to do things, it's important to know the theory side too. Which you'll usually only learn at a school. (sure I guess I'm pushing my world views here and the importance of school, but there is no substitute for education in reality).
Formerly Known as Hellbringer. PSN: KenshinBATT0USAI 3DS: 2895-6892-5663 Steam: Vashlion
Satanas

• Total Posts : 13047
Bladesfist

Re:Game Development Help - Saturday, May 18, 2013 3:32 AM ( #7 )
Vashlion

Bladesfist

Vashlion

MattyG

Probably not. With school you got plenty of resources and experts who know this field inside out to help you out and teach you things. Whereas learning on your own there are very few resources you have. Sure you can ask on the internet, but who do you have helping you? Amateurs at best.

That aside, as important as it is to know how to do things, it's important to know the theory side too. Which you'll usually only learn at a school. (sure I guess I'm pushing my world views here and the importance of school, but there is no substitute for education in reality).

The internet has more information than your professor who is most likely teaching you a load of outdated nonsense. You will find that your teachers are most likely not experts on the field and that learning from other game developers is a much better way to approach things. Sure if you don't know how to use google and need someone to hold your hand then that may help. I have myself helping myself. Best way to learn in my opinion.

Satanas

Re:Game Development Help - Saturday, May 18, 2013 3:36 AM ( #8 )
Bladesfist

The internet has more information than your professor who is most likely teaching you a load of outdated nonsense. You will find that your teachers are most likely not experts on the field and that learning from other game developers is a much better way to approach things. Sure if you don't know how to use google and need someone to hold your hand then that may help. I have myself helping myself. Best way to learn in my opinion.

You can only assert this point if you've been to school for this and can confirm that it was of no help.

I am a programmer myself and I can assert that school helped tremendously and that my professors were/are experts in their fields. On-the-job training is probably the most effective thing though, if you have the aptitude for it
Bladesfist

Re:Game Development Help - Saturday, May 18, 2013 3:44 AM ( #9 )
Satanas

Bladesfist

You can only assert this point if you've been to school for this and can confirm that it was of no help.

I am a programmer myself and I can assert that school helped tremendously and that my professors were/are experts in their fields. On-the-job training is probably the most effective thing though, if you have the aptitude for it

Well I started teaching myself how to program at the age of 13 which seems to be about average in the industry. When I reached college I knew far more than my teachers on the subject. If that is anything to go by then I will not be heading to University when I can use books and the internet to gather knowledge. I have not gone to University so I guess I can't really judge.

The message I am trying to put across is the best way to become a better programmer is experience.

<message edited by Bladesfist on Saturday, May 18, 2013 3:46 AM>
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

Re:Game Development Help - Saturday, May 18, 2013 3:46 AM ( #10 )
Bladesfist

Vashlion

Bladesfist

Vashlion

MattyG

The internet is a breeding ground for ignorant people mostly spreading misinformation. Sure it can be useful, but it can also be equally as useful. 
Schools exist for a reason. If everything could be effectively learned by oneself then schools would no longer have such a valuable role in society. If you're argument is that a professor isn't a game designer or some sort, then you're also missing the point of networking most schools give you an opportunity for, not to mention potential to work co-op, and even gaining employment opportunities. 
Let's not forget the obvious thing here. It's not like if you go to school you can't use the internet anyway as a resource. Reality is, the pros far outweigh the singular con here(that school is expensive). 

Bladesfist

Re:Game Development Help - Saturday, May 18, 2013 3:55 AM ( #11 )
Vashlion

Bladesfist

Vashlion

Bladesfist

Vashlion

MattyG

The internet is a breeding ground for ignorant people mostly spreading misinformation. Sure it can be useful, but it can also be equally as useful. 
Schools exist for a reason. If everything could be effectively learned by oneself then schools would no longer have such a valuable role in society. If you're argument is that a professor isn't a game designer or some sort, then you're also missing the point of networking most schools give you an opportunity for, not to mention potential to work co-op, and even gaining employment opportunities. 
Let's not forget the obvious thing here. It's not like if you go to school you can't use the internet anyway as a resource. Reality is, the pros far outweigh the singular con here(that school is expensive). 

The internet may be a breeding ground for ignorant people on N4G however there are many sites that have a huge wealth of information for game developers. What I am saying is not about the internet, it's about doing. Learning how to program can only really be done by programming and by telling someone to just not do that and wait till they go to school is not good advice in my opinion. 
Satanas

Re:Game Development Help - Saturday, May 18, 2013 4:34 AM ( #12 )
Bladesfist

Satanas

Bladesfist

Well I started teaching myself how to program at the age of 13 which seems to be about average in the industry. When I reached college I knew far more than my teachers on the subject. If that is anything to go by then I will not be heading to University when I can use books and the internet to gather knowledge. I have not gone to University so I guess I can't really judge.

The message I am trying to put across is the best way to become a better programmer is experience.

I agree. I got that experience through a mix of university teaching, books, online guides and coop work terms. I had no self-interest in programming before university, but I can confirm that I learned as much about C# in a year of school as some of my friends learned in years. I suppose it's really all about aptitude
chasegarcia

• Total Posts : 123
Re:Game Development Help - Saturday, May 18, 2013 9:25 AM ( #13 )
I would start with a OUYA or PS VITA. Both support the UNITY engine and are extremely cheap to begin with. 
MattyG

Re:Game Development Help - Saturday, May 18, 2013 9:58 AM ( #14 )
Bladesfist

MattyG

Have you picked a part of game development that interests you? If you need help with Scripting then feel free to ask me for some tips. If you are completely new to programming then I would recommend downloading the C# Yellow Book (It's free). Unity has a huge tutorial section so why not start there. http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules

I'm not really sure exactly what part of development I want to get into, but I do need to learn Scripting since I have no experience at all doing it. 

@Santanas Thanks, I'll have to check those links out. 
<message edited by MattyG on Saturday, May 18, 2013 10:05 AM>

Bladesfist

Re:Game Development Help - Saturday, May 18, 2013 10:48 AM ( #15 )
chasegarcia

I would start with a OUYA or PS VITA. Both support the UNITY engine and are extremely cheap to begin with. 

Neither of those are supported by Unity atm. Maybe Ouya if you build for android.
MattyG

Re:Game Development Help - Saturday, May 18, 2013 10:51 AM ( #16 )
Bladesfist

chasegarcia

Neither of those are supported by Unity atm. Maybe Ouya if you build for android.

Unity support on Vita was announced (I believe) but isn't being implemented yet.
<message edited by MattyG on Saturday, May 18, 2013 11:42 AM>

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message