Best and worst of this generation of consoles

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 24 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
thebudgetgamer

• Total Posts : 6954
  • Reward points : 0
Best and worst of this generation of consoles - Saturday, May 18, 2013 5:21 PM ( #1 )
Since we're close to a new generation of consoles I'm interested in what came from this gen you liked and disliked.

My favorite has to be Microsoft and the rise of Indi games on consoles. There's so much variety and you can get most games for one dollar. The only downside is some of them are pretty bad but if you do some research and know where to look you will find some real interesting stuff. Some of my favorite games I've played have come from the Indi store.

What I dislike: Sequalitis.

Also the online age, while it has benefits it also comes with drawbacks like devs shipping games not finished and cutting into my favorite part of gaming, the single player portion of games.
<message edited by thebudgetgamer on Saturday, May 18, 2013 5:32 PM>
moegooner88

• Total Posts : 2041
Re:Best and worst of this generation of consoles - Saturday, May 18, 2013 5:33 PM ( #2 )
Best : Motion capturing, cinematic experiences, and the increased emphasis on historic locations.

Worst : Almost everything else, especially DLC, and the increased emphasis on online gaming rather than on single player campaigns.

Among the 5 generations of consoles I have experienced, this is the worst one by miles.
<message edited by moegooner88 on Saturday, May 18, 2013 5:44 PM>
MattyG

• Total Posts : 3346
Re:Best and worst of this generation of consoles - Saturday, May 18, 2013 5:40 PM ( #3 )
Best: Like Moe said, mocap is a big plus this gen. Downloadable indie games made a huge impact this gen, and made awesome experiences available for less money. SOME dlc was implemented well this gen (Undead Nightmare for example), but...

Worst: A lot of dlc was just throwaway crap nobody wanted. Also, the big emphasis on online really irked me. I can't tell you the amount of times I'd try to talk to someone at school about a single player game and they would say "Oh, SP sucks, MP is awesome." 

TheRot

• Total Posts : 3443
Re:Best and worst of this generation of consoles - Saturday, May 18, 2013 6:36 PM ( #4 )
i swear i have seen this exact thread before
Eiffel

• Total Posts : 11809
Re:Best and worst of this generation of consoles - Saturday, May 18, 2013 6:51 PM ( #5 )
TheRot

i swear i have seen this exact thread before

If you made it, there's probably good reason this one exists. 

-MD-

• Total Posts : 8196
Re:Best and worst of this generation of consoles - Saturday, May 18, 2013 7:01 PM ( #6 )
Worst: Cinematic games, motion controllers, DLC and the idea that it's acceptable to launch your game broken because DLC exists.

Best: Nothing? This generation caused me to move away from consoles entirely.
<message edited by -MD- on Saturday, May 18, 2013 7:02 PM>
ichimaru

• Total Posts : 2572
Re:Best and worst of this generation of consoles - Saturday, May 18, 2013 9:24 PM ( #7 )
Best =  The rise of the Western RPG  
           Death of 2nd 3rd party exclusives  
            Patches  responsive Devs

Worst= Paywalls. 
           DLC already on the diske.

Gamers. Really annoying this gen
  O Jerusalem, wash thine heart from wickedness, that thou mayest be saved. How long shall thy vain thoughts lodge within thee?- Jeremiah 4:14 False tears bring pai
flip-it3

• Total Posts : 6628
Re:Best and worst of this generation of consoles - Saturday, May 18, 2013 9:32 PM ( #8 )
Best: 
The banning of Kon The Master Race Rising

Kons:
Kon not being banned earlier
MattyG

Re:Best and worst of this generation of consoles - Saturday, May 18, 2013 9:40 PM ( #9 )
flip-it3

Best: 
The banning of Kon The Master Race Rising

Kons:
Kon not being banned earlier

How long is that kid banned for?

flip-it3

Re:Best and worst of this generation of consoles - Saturday, May 18, 2013 9:58 PM ( #10 )
MattyG

PERMA for a week 
MattyG

Re:Best and worst of this generation of consoles - Saturday, May 18, 2013 10:00 PM ( #11 )
flip-it3

MattyG

PERMA for a week 

I don't believe you, you're a Team Cynical sympathizer. 
<message edited by MattyG on Saturday, May 18, 2013 10:04 PM>

flip-it3

Re:Best and worst of this generation of consoles - Saturday, May 18, 2013 10:02 PM ( #12 )
MattyG

flip-it3

MattyG

PERMA for a week 

I didn't lie. 
MattyG

Re:Best and worst of this generation of consoles - Saturday, May 18, 2013 10:05 PM ( #13 )
flip-it3

MattyG

flip-it3

MattyG

PERMA for a week 

I didn't lie. 

If you lie about lying, that makes you a 

hmmmmmm, I'm gonna need a mod to verify this one.  
I kid, I kid. (Sorta.)  

<message edited by MattyG on Saturday, May 18, 2013 10:10 PM>

flip-it3

Re:Best and worst of this generation of consoles - Saturday, May 18, 2013 10:12 PM ( #14 )
MattyG

flip-it3

MattyG

flip-it3

MattyG

PERMA for a week 

I didn't lie. 

I kid, I kid. (Sorta.)  

It's not my fault you can't read properly. 

MattyG

Re:Best and worst of this generation of consoles - Saturday, May 18, 2013 10:15 PM ( #15 )
flip-it3

MattyG

flip-it3

MattyG

flip-it3

MattyG

PERMA for a week 

I didn't lie. 

I kid, I kid. (Sorta.)  

It's not my fault you can't read properly. 

I feel like I missed something here. What am I supposed to have read wrong?

DAMN YOU YOU CHEEKY BASTARD! You got me good, congrats.
<message edited by MattyG on Saturday, May 18, 2013 10:17 PM>

ichimaru

• Total Posts : 2572
Re:Best and worst of this generation of consoles - Saturday, May 18, 2013 10:45 PM ( #16 )
Kon really got banned. sucks. link pls
  O Jerusalem, wash thine heart from wickedness, that thou mayest be saved. How long shall thy vain thoughts lodge within thee?- Jeremiah 4:14 False tears bring pai
TheDivine

• Total Posts : 110
Re:Best and worst of this generation of consoles - Saturday, May 18, 2013 10:58 PM ( #17 )
- [This post was marked as helpful]
Loved the visuals, the rise in Indy and smaller arcade games (Flower, Journey, Bastion, Shadow Complex, and others stand out), I really liked seeing Bioware create their own universes like Mass Effect and Dragon Age. Loved the co-op gameplay of Gears and the innovative Demons Souls. We got a revamp of Fallout and Metroid in The Other M which I loved. New ip's like Dead Space, Bioshock, Arkham games, Alan Wake, Heavy Rain, Uncharted and many others were amazing.

I loved the handheld games and jrpg renaissance we got on psp and ds. TWEWY, Radiant Historia, Strange Journey, Trails in the Sky, Devil Survivor and others stand out to me. It really was handheld golden years IMO but I think the 3ds is on pace to surpass its predisessor.

I hated the puberty phase console jrpgs went through of being stuck in the past and trying to change to much. Persona was mia since 4 but the SMT games flourished on handhelds. Square kind of went downhill but I got my favorite Tales (Vesperia), my fav jrpg (Lost Odyssey), a wonderful world with amazing world map (Ni No Kuni), creative battle systems (Resonance of Fate), a more modern lean jrpg (Last Story), and one of the best games ever (Xenoblade). 

I loved Wii Sports for its innovative "ness" for lack of better term but I hated Nintendo going for a weak system. We still got some of the best games ever but imagine those wii games with the wii-u power that it should've had. It was the start of Nin doing their own thing. I love that because we don't get tacked on mp, all shooters, and other trends but I want to be in awe from their games like OOT and Metroid Prime. Xenoblade accomplished this but nothing else on the wii. It was a good system for old school and nostalgic fans with the return of many classic sidescrollers so that's a plus but overall I disliked the wii (despite loving many games).

I loved the new possibilities online opened but it made devs think they had to add I'm mp. It was kind of a transitional gen where small teams were able to self publish, where devs experimented with dlc and online, and many big publishers fell. Reminded me of the n64/ps1 gen where suddenly cd games were cheap to produce and the switch to 3d polygons made a big transition for everyone. Some series didnt survive but others thrived. Learn to adapt. Overall I loved it. Three consoles, two handhelds, and the explosion of Steam and mobile gaming. It was he'll of fun!
TooTall19

• Total Posts : 689
Re:Best and worst of this generation of consoles - Saturday, May 18, 2013 10:59 PM ( #18 )
Best: N4G. Games are getting cheaper. Good games are coming out more often. Online games have improved. Worst: Everything has RPG elements. Getting Heavy Rain spoiled on N4G. Disk locked content. DLC announced before the game releases.
AbhishekGIS

• Total Posts : 2
Re:Best and worst of this generation of consoles - Tuesday, May 28, 2013 12:37 PM ( #19 )
WORST - the games like red dead redemption etc take too much loading time .
Best- graphics, activities, multi-player, story and everything
wishingW3L

• Total Posts : 1091
Re:Best and worst of this generation of consoles - Tuesday, May 28, 2013 1:21 PM ( #20 )
disliked: FF going multiplat and becoming a crap franchise. 

liked: Uncharted and playing fighting  games online since my friends suck at them and this way I could find people that matched my skills (even if lag was a bit of a downer).
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 24 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread