Genre to benefit most next-gen?

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 34 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
Rage_S90

• Total Posts : 7899
  • Reward points : 0
Genre to benefit most next-gen? - Saturday, May 25, 2013 10:09 AM ( #1 )
I think open world games, due to the huge increase in ram. 
  • Less pop in
  • Less loading
  • More unique NPC's 
  • Better looking NPC's
  • More dynamic NPC's? 
  • Less reused environments?
Discuss. 

moegooner88

• Total Posts : 2046
Re:Genre to benefit most next-gen? - Saturday, May 25, 2013 10:12 AM ( #2 )
- [This post was marked as helpful]
Open World RPGs.
FAT MAN GO BOOM

• Total Posts : 15453
Re:Genre to benefit most next-gen? - Saturday, May 25, 2013 10:19 AM ( #3 )
I agree RPGs are going to benefit from this tech the most..  Open world and game s Like Mass effect to become more fluid like....

Looking forward to fallout 4 sure hope that is on the launch list or in the first year.....
[ali
flip-it3

• Total Posts : 6628
Re:Genre to benefit most next-gen? - Saturday, May 25, 2013 10:20 AM ( #4 )
yeah open world games of any genre will be greatly improved with the increase in memory. also I think mmo games are gonna excel this gen with how focused communication and sharing is with the new features. 
Rage_S90

Re:Genre to benefit most next-gen? - Saturday, May 25, 2013 10:24 AM ( #5 )
moegooner88

Open World RPGs.

Good one, but i still feel like bethesda games are gonna be buggy as f*ck. 

Sidenote: Do you think we're gonna get more open games, just because it'll be easier to do now? 
<message edited by Rage_S90 on Saturday, May 25, 2013 10:25 AM>

B Man

• Total Posts : 8479
Re:Genre to benefit most next-gen? - Saturday, May 25, 2013 11:01 AM ( #6 )
I'd agree with more open world/western RPGs.  Also more "social" games.  I'd love to see a new 1 vs. 100 come back to Xbox, or something at least like it anyways.
RyuCloudStrife

• Total Posts : 1864
Re:Genre to benefit most next-gen? - Saturday, May 25, 2013 11:21 AM ( #7 )
Open world RPG's
PS4 day 1 along with Killzone: Shadow Fall, Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag and an extra controller ^_^
DaThreats

• Total Posts : 1596
Re:Genre to benefit most next-gen? - Saturday, May 25, 2013 11:23 AM ( #8 )
Everyone says open world RPG, I expect the PS4 version to significantly perform better compared to the other version. No excuses. 

Shawn-

• Total Posts : 74
Re:Genre to benefit most next-gen? - Saturday, May 25, 2013 11:37 AM ( #9 )
flip-it3

yeah open world games of any genre will be greatly improved with the increase in memory. also I think mmo games are gonna excel this gen with how focused communication and sharing is with the new features

I'm skeptical. I still feel like MMOs are stilll a niche market. Diablo's release on the consoles will be a test to this.
Ducky

• Total Posts : 2371
Re:Genre to benefit most next-gen? - Saturday, May 25, 2013 12:02 PM ( #10 )
- [This post was marked as helpful]
I think shooters will get a big benefit because more ram means you can have more bullets in your magazine.
Current gen games are usually limited to around 30 bullets per magazine because the ram can't handle larger numbers, but we might see 60 or 120 bullets per magazine next-gen.

I don't think we will see many open-world games early on. Current-gen only had like 500mb ram, and it still took 4~5 years to make open-world games. By extrapolating to 8Gb, it would take at least 50 years to make open world games for next-gen.

... but I think the genre which will get the most benefit would be swimming games. The next-gen hardware will allow for realistic water physics that dynamically change with humidity and local water waves. The ram will ensure that all professional swimmers from around the world are represented with proper name spelling.
timmyp53

• Total Posts : 2733
Re:Genre to benefit most next-gen? - Saturday, May 25, 2013 12:12 PM ( #11 )
Ducky

I think shooters will get a big benefit because more ram means you can have more bullets in your magazine.
Current gen games are usually limited to around 30 bullets per magazine because the ram can't handle larger numbers, but we might see 60 or 120 bullets per magazine next-gen.

I don't think we will see many open-world games early on. Current-gen only had like 500mb ram, and it still took 4~5 years to make open-world games. By extrapolating to 8Gb, it would take at least 50 years to make open world games for next-gen.

... but I think the genre which will get the most benefit would be swimming games. The next-gen hardware will allow for realistic water physics that dynamically change with humidity and local water waves. The ram will ensure that all professional swimmers from around the world are represented with proper name spelling.

This.
moegooner88

• Total Posts : 2046
Re:Genre to benefit most next-gen? - Saturday, May 25, 2013 12:16 PM ( #12 )
Ducky

Michael Phelps Push the Limit 2 , don't get my hopes up like this Ducky.
ZombieNinjaPanda

• Total Posts : 11431
Re:Genre to benefit most next-gen? - Saturday, May 25, 2013 12:19 PM ( #13 )
Nothing. If current developers don't take advantage of the technology we have on PC to make these games better, how would they do it on consoles?

timmyp53

• Total Posts : 2733
Re:Genre to benefit most next-gen? - Saturday, May 25, 2013 12:21 PM ( #14 )
ZombieNinjaPanda

Nothing. If current developers don't take advantage of the technology we have on PC to make these games better, how would they do it on consoles?

Be specific!
ZombieNinjaPanda

Re:Genre to benefit most next-gen? - Saturday, May 25, 2013 12:25 PM ( #15 )
timmyp53

ZombieNinjaPanda

Be specific!

Well okay. The main targets here are Open world games. Let's take a look at some.

Fallout New Vegas. While I enjoyed the game a lot, I'm not gonna say it's beautiful. I'm not gonna call the AI good, and I'm not gonna say the draw distances are anything to write home about. 
Skyrim? THat came out recently. Plethora of issues that still doesn't take advantage of the current technology we have. 

So why do people think that all of a sudden these developers are gonna start utilizing what they're being offered, when it's been in front of them already. Now mind you, these are just two quick examples.
<message edited by ZombieNinjaPanda on Saturday, May 25, 2013 12:27 PM>

Rage_S90

Re:Genre to benefit most next-gen? - Saturday, May 25, 2013 12:26 PM ( #16 )
ZombieNinjaPanda

Because they still have to be built with the lowest common denominator in mind. Most devs just build a baseline, and pc ports simple get higher resolution, and sometimes better textures. It's not worth the money to properly build a better version, sorry. You get rare examples like BF3 which has higher player count, or look at something like planetside which was built with next gen in mind. Making the lowest common denominator higher will greatly benefit PC's. 

ZombieNinjaPanda

Re:Genre to benefit most next-gen? - Saturday, May 25, 2013 12:28 PM ( #17 )
Rage_S90

ZombieNinjaPanda

Because they still have to be built with the lowest common denominator in mind. Most devs just build a baseline, and pc ports simple get higher resolution, and sometimes better textures. It's not worth the money to properly build a better version, sorry. You get rare examples like BF3 which has higher player count, or look at something like planetside which was built with next gen in mind. Making the lowest common denominator higher will greatly benefit PC's. 

Good reasoning, but then again, we have to hope the developers aren't lazy like they are this gen. Even with a lowest common denominator, games like STALKER (which I love) still don't have such unique NPCs all the time, or many things along those lines. It does do a lot more stuff than many games at the time however.
<message edited by ZombieNinjaPanda on Saturday, May 25, 2013 12:32 PM>

Rage_S90

Re:Genre to benefit most next-gen? - Saturday, May 25, 2013 12:30 PM ( #18 )
I got complimented by ZNP. My life is complete. 

redDevil87

• Total Posts : 8354
Re:Genre to benefit most next-gen? - Saturday, May 25, 2013 12:56 PM ( #19 )
DAT DUCKY

Open World games due to the increased RAM. RPGs and JRPGs as well, devs will be able to create bigger worlds and add plenty of things into them.

It'll be interesting to see how these consoles change static environments. Maybe all TPS games will have more destructible environments. Gone will be the days of relying solely on red barrels. 

redDevil87

• Total Posts : 8354
Re:Genre to benefit most next-gen? - Saturday, May 25, 2013 1:08 PM ( #20 )
Racing games as well.

The increase in power could make damage physics amazing. All the little things like tyre degradation, full weather effects and new lighting techniques could transform the genre. PD have already done some amazing things with suspension in GT6, they're going to blow minds on the PS4. 

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 34 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread