PS3 issue

The_Knight

• Total Posts : 36
  • Reward points : 0
PS3 issue - Wednesday, June 12, 2013 2:11 PM ( #1 )
Hi guys, I have a 80 GB ps3 with ps2 BC and I have been playing uncharted 2 on it, but after playing for 15 minutes it gives me the ylod, so I decided to check with my black ops 2 and it does the same ,however none of my downloadable games do this, is this an issue with the bluray drive?
SmokeyMcBear

• Total Posts : 14748
Re:PS3 issue - Wednesday, June 12, 2013 2:14 PM ( #2 )
uhhh wut? the ylod means your system automatically shuts down after being turned on. You can't get a disc out, you can get a disc in, you can get to the xmb to see games, you can't do anything. So you don't have ylod. Does it just freeze? or can't read the discs at all?

All work and no play.. makes odion go something something
The_Knight

Re:PS3 issue - Wednesday, June 12, 2013 2:18 PM ( #3 )
It just shuts down beeps 3 times and displays a yellow light instead of the green one for a second, after that the red light keeps flashing but I am able to turn it on again and it won't shut down unless I play one of those 2 games again
TheMART

• Total Posts : 3356
Re:PS3 issue - Wednesday, June 12, 2013 2:21 PM ( #4 )
Permanent YLOD is incoming then for you.

UC2 is known to put a lot of stress on the system, so it might get hotter than for example other games/PSN games.

Also: your BluRay drive also creates heat. So PSN games again will build up less heat inside the PS3 case.

Try to vacuum clean your PS3 through the air vents. If you got that old fat pS3, there is this air blow mode which could blow it clean from inside out. Not sure if that can damage your PS3 or not.

Is your PS3 standing vertical or horizontal? Inside a (closed) TV cabinet, close to the wall, on carpet?

The_Knight

Re:PS3 issue - Wednesday, June 12, 2013 2:26 PM ( #5 )
I have always taken lots of care with my ps3 its on a pretty open space and I open and clean it once a year, I'm really confused because I even play kz3 and it doesn't shuts down but cod does 
TheMART

Re:PS3 issue - Wednesday, June 12, 2013 2:30 PM ( #6 )
oops edit sorry I see its 80GB BC.

Yeah all launch consoles YLOD, yours kept running for a pretty long time though. Applause

IS it vertical or horizontal placed?
<message edited by TheMART on Wednesday, June 12, 2013 2:32 PM>

The_Knight

Re:PS3 issue - Wednesday, June 12, 2013 2:35 PM ( #7 )
Its horizontal
The_Knight

Re:PS3 issue - Wednesday, June 12, 2013 2:39 PM ( #8 )
Dammit I was looking forward to play the last of us guess im screwed
TheMART

Re:PS3 issue - Wednesday, June 12, 2013 2:47 PM ( #9 )
Is it hot today in the place where you live? If yes, try to keep that PS3 fat off on the hot days. It sucks in hot air to cool, which won't work.

Take it out of any TV rack if its in one. Put it outside anything, preferable on a table, and at least 50 cms from a wall. If you want it to last as long as possible, put a constant running fan at its side to blow away the hot air that gets ventilated. 

Different theories about the best way to place a PS3, horizontal or vertical, but it also depends on the environment.
Logically thinking, if its horizontal, more of the PS3 touches the surface or is close to it. Thus the less heat is transported from its plastic to the surrounding air. Nothing scientifically proven though, but it might just make a difference, try it maybe. It seems the BluRay drive with maximum reading sequences (which UC2 does, it has 3 x the same data copied on BluRay to have the fastest loading without massive HDD installation) pushes the temperature up just a few degrees to make your PS3 go overheat.

Ingram

• Total Posts : 642
Re:PS3 issue - Wednesday, June 12, 2013 2:53 PM ( #10 )
Just to make sure, (edit)-(next time, if your new ps3 freezes and/or resets itself)- get into Recovery Mode, then repair thew filesystem and rebuild the database, same thing happened to me, it might resolve the issue.

Try and play 1-3 hour sessions max, playing +5,6,7 hour sessions will kill consoles so much faster

Whenever you finish playing, try and get the disc out, then wait a few minutes in the xmb before shutting down, this way the console won't be so hot when the ventilation system turns off, and it will extend your device's life. 

When cold, cover it with a cotton t-shirt to minimize the dust/smoke entering the system.

90nm first generation 60Gb here, still working. (my controller broke, though)

edit: yeah buddy, sorry to hear that, what others have said is correct of course, once the yellow light appears, it's time to call sony. I should've clarified, I was trying to give some advice for taking care of your next ps3 and my mind slipped there. Hope you get back to play soon!
<message edited by Ingram on Wednesday, June 12, 2013 5:52 PM>
The_Knight

Re:PS3 issue - Wednesday, June 12, 2013 2:53 PM ( #11 )
Thanks for your help I am now 100% sure my bluray drive it's faulty because I downloaded the uc2 demo and it ran great and it didn't shut down,
thebudgetgamer

• Total Posts : 6958
Re:PS3 issue - Wednesday, June 12, 2013 2:59 PM ( #12 )
I had the same issues as you with my 40gig, playing Beatles Rock Band it started doint the same thing and then got worse and worse till it stopped reading disks completely.
The_Knight

Re:PS3 issue - Wednesday, June 12, 2013 3:09 PM ( #13 )
At least it's just the blu ray drive I would be pissed if I got a ylod since most of my games are from the PS store so I really don't mind about the bluray thanks guys
TheMART

Re:PS3 issue - Wednesday, June 12, 2013 3:09 PM ( #14 )
It could be your BluRay diode, but that shouldn't make your system shut down, but give a read error... I think

thebudgetgamer

• Total Posts : 6958
Re:PS3 issue - Wednesday, June 12, 2013 3:13 PM ( #15 )
TheMART

It could be your BluRay diode, but that shouldn't make your system shut down, but give a read error... I think

When it happened to me the console would freeze and I would have to hard reboot it.
Milky

• Total Posts : 2527
Re:PS3 issue - Wednesday, June 12, 2013 3:16 PM ( #16 )
YOU ARE LUCKY LAST OF US IS A GOOD PRICE ON PS STORE, A LOT OF GAMES ARE SO OVERPRICED ON THERE. SORRY FOR CAPS MY KEYBOARD IS BROKEN. GOOD LUCK WITH THE PS3.
PSN: joe382
The_Knight

Re:PS3 issue - Wednesday, June 12, 2013 3:18 PM ( #17 )
I dont need to reboot it, it shuts down on its own
Max Power

• Total Posts : 6632
Re:PS3 issue - Wednesday, June 12, 2013 3:18 PM ( #18 )
My PS3 didn't YLOD, the graphics card/hdmi is going, but it'll play games with terrible artifacts.
dalibor

• Total Posts : 183
Re:PS3 issue - Thursday, June 13, 2013 1:09 AM ( #19 )
TheMART

If you got that old fat pS3, there is this air blow mode which could blow it clean from inside out. Not sure if that can damage your PS3 or not.

I thought that this was not what it was intentionally used for. That is just so when the system gets really hot. I would not recommend doing this. The best way to clean the PS3 is to open it up(if warranty expired already) and spray with a air can. You would be surprised as how easy it is to dismantle and put your PS3 together. You can buy PS3 blue ray drives from Amazon around $65. It's easy to install a new drive b/c as soon as you open the case the drive is located on top. The cooling fan is located below the motherboard and BR drive(for the 60gig at least b/c that's what I have, so I'm assuming your 80gig is similar maybe a bit different). I clean out my PS3 at least twice a year and still works great. Just get more info online to get a better understanding and getting a box of small screwdrivers or a kit would greatly help as there are some pretty small screws. And another thing I have my 60gig PS3 vertical but I put some game cases on the edges of it so it's raised up a bit b/c your hdd is located on the bottom of the PS3 when it's vertical so it stays a bit cooler and does not build up heat on the ground. Good luck.
The_Knight

Re:PS3 issue - Saturday, June 22, 2013 3:57 PM ( #20 )
Hi guys after many failed attempts to fix it I read online to turn off the ps2 upscaled and AA and that did it for me my Ps3 doesn't shut down any more thanks to everyone for their tips

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread