Ryse QTEs complete themselves even if you press no buttons

PositiveEmotions

• Total Posts : 50
  • Reward points : 0
Ryse QTEs complete themselves even if you press no buttons - Saturday, June 15, 2013 10:53 PM ( #1 )
Why Ryse is The Most Frustrating Game of E3

I’m on the battlefield. I’m stomping through the corpses of my comrades swinging my sword at anything that moves. I begin a combo, I slash twice and then whooom slow motion is initiated, shit is about to get ‘cinematic’. A button prompt hovers elusively above the sword I’m about to drive into the throat of my enemy… argh I’m too slow! The prompt flickers, disappears.

I missed it. Damn.

But then somehow, for some reason, I still complete the cinematic ‘kill’.

What?

Maybe it’s a bug I think, but no. Next time I deliberately press the wrong button. The kill goes ahead, no consequences. Then I try hitting no buttons whatsoever. The kill goes ahead. I put the controller on the table in front of me, the kill goes ahead.

What is going on here?

I ask one of the Crytek people hovering at the booth – is this a bug? Why am I completing kills when I hit the wrong button prompt? Or, worse, no button at all. Turns out it was a deliberate design choice.

“We don’t want the player to feel frustrated,” I am told. 

<message edited by PositiveEmotions on Saturday, June 15, 2013 10:59 PM>
SanMarco

• Total Posts : 989
Re:Ryse QTEs complete themselves even if you press no buttons - Sunday, June 16, 2013 3:23 AM ( #2 )
That's is such an early build for a game, plus it's an E3 demo. They need it to flow perfect for randoms.

PSN: Mr_Mojo__Risin-
TheMART

• Total Posts : 3356
Re:Ryse QTEs complete themselves even if you press no buttons - Sunday, June 16, 2013 3:37 AM ( #3 )
Ryse was just there to look pretty.

It'll suck. Sony wanted some Spartan with QTE for the Playstation fans that like God of War I guess. Or something. 

I don't know. I don't get either why people are excited for Ryse.

MiloGarret

• Total Posts : 1366
Re:Ryse QTEs complete themselves even if you press no buttons - Sunday, June 16, 2013 4:04 AM ( #4 )
I read something about the execution qte's being there as a build-up factor, that is, once you initate an execution it'll happen no matter what, but depending on whether or not you complete the qte successfully you get power for special moves (like calling in arrows) or bonus xp or whatever. 

I really hope they come to their senses and just remove the qte's entirely, I like the idea of playing as a roman in a hack n' slash game, but I detest qte. 
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.
raiden11

• Total Posts : 10
Re:Ryse QTEs complete themselves even if you press no buttons - Monday, June 17, 2013 9:18 PM ( #5 )
Play Heavy Rain on PS3. Press no button during chase scenes and shoot out. The game just finishes it for you. QTE was definitely ruined by David Cage. Hopefully Ryse would implement QTE from God Of War 3 and Heavenly Sword was implemented with awesome results. Consequence of not pressing the QTE button on God Of War 3 resulted in the enemy counter-attack which is awesome.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 4 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread