Gamers will be gamers

darthmaul

• Total Posts : 25
  • Reward points : 0
Gamers will be gamers - Sunday, June 16, 2013 10:32 AM ( #1 )
Well, that didnt take long. I preordered the Xbox One today. Before you persecute me, let me explain. I was one of the people screaming from the mountain tops about the Xbox Ones used game policy. I hated the fact that my machine will have to "check in" once every 24 hours. I was saying "who the hell does microsoft think they are?" After watching their E3 presentation I swore I would not buy this console no matter what. Obviously I have changed my mind, and I suspect a lot of you have, or will, change your minds as well. I am not a fanboy of a particular system. I own a PS3, a 360, a Wii, and even a WII U (I know, I know). Each system has its strengths and weakness. I enjoy them equally (particularly the PS3 and 360). Thinking back on microsofts conference, I kept thinking about the one thing that I think some people have forgotten about. THE GAMES!! I have to experience Titanfall, Halo, Killer Instinct, and Dead Rising 3. I also must experience Infamous Second Son, Knack, and Killzone on the PS4. I guess what I am trying to say is I am a gamer. A GAMER!! I have owned every major console that has ever come out and the fact that microsoft has changed up the game a bit should not stop me from enjoying my games. I can't give/receive a game from a friend? Ill live. My machine will have to check in every 24 hours? Ill live. I am being forced to by the Kinect camera? Ill live. None of these things will stop me from playing and enjoying my chosen craft. Again, I suspect some of you will eventually feel the same, some sooner than others. If you are a gamer like myself, the gamer in you WILL come out.

ReconHope

• Total Posts : 2395
Re:Gamers will be gamers - Sunday, June 16, 2013 10:33 AM ( #2 )

ichimaru

• Total Posts : 2572
Re:Gamers will be gamers - Sunday, June 16, 2013 10:44 AM ( #3 )
 don't really have to explain your purchase to anyone but yourself. As  of now  most hc  gamers won't be picking one until  ms  corrects is customer service approach,  and loosen the restrictive reigns.   having said that if your happy to purchase an x-juan  congrats and more power to  you.  regardless of it I disagree, I'm not purchasing for you, and its not my enjoyment your seeking here
  O Jerusalem, wash thine heart from wickedness, that thou mayest be saved. How long shall thy vain thoughts lodge within thee?- Jeremiah 4:14 False tears bring pai
wishingW3L

• Total Posts : 1091
Re:Gamers will be gamers - Sunday, June 16, 2013 11:36 AM ( #4 )
being a gamer doesn't mean I'm an idiot, PS4 is the better machine in every single way. Even if MS showed more games most of them are not releasing until fall 2014 while most PS4 exclusives are coming out this year. Another thing is we still haven't even seen Guerrilla's new IP (teased on recent interviews), Naughty Dog's "Team A" new game, Media Molecule's new IP (teased at the PS4 reveal), Quantic Dream's new IP (teased at the PS4 reveal), etc.

I don't know about you but I don't have that much time to play so many games, I still have a gigantic backlog on my PS3 but I pre-ordered a PS4 with Killzone anyway... Another thing is that those Xbox exclusives like Dead Rising 3 and Titan are not even first party games, they could go multiplat at any moment, especially if the Xbox sells bad. Titan didn't even looked that good, it was basically COD with some mechs and Dead Rising 3? Meh, didn't even like the first 2. =/

Xbox One when it comes to games it's all smoke and mirror or do you really think Capcom and Activision will keep making exclusive games for them? That's probably just a 1 time deal to rope you in and then feed you Kinect games for the rest of the gen just like it happened with the X360.
PeeWizzle

• Total Posts : 2870
Re:Gamers will be gamers - Sunday, June 16, 2013 11:38 AM ( #5 )
Normally I would agree with this mentality but Microsoft has gone too far this time and they aren't going to see my money. I'm going to miss Halo 5? Ill live. 
My soul is still dancing.  
darthmaul

Re:Gamers will be gamers - Sunday, June 16, 2013 11:59 AM ( #6 )
First of all, buying an xbox one does not makes a person an idiot. The PS4 might just be the better machine. I have no problem with that. I think the PS3 was/is a better machine than the 360 but I still own both of them. I have enjoyed each systems exclusives and I believe that will continue into the next generation. As far as the upcoming PS4 exclusives that you mentioned, I'm one hundred percent on board. I too preordered Killzone and Naughty Dog is my favorite developer so I cant wait for the next Uncharted(It better come out!). No doubt Sony will come out with some top notch exclusives that I will be purchasing. I watched the Dead Rising 3 trailer again, and you are probably right about that one, Ill pass on it. Titanfall looks awesome to me. I think if Titanfall was on PS4 you would buy it, even if it is just COD with some mechs. Of course capcom and activision will make multiplat games. I'm sure Microsoft will come out with some first party games that will be worth purchasing. I think when the dust settles the Xbox One will sell just fine. Probably not as well as the PS4, but that's fine. I believe there will be enough AAA exclusives to justify the purchase of both machines, just like the current generation.

LightofDarkness

• Total Posts : 365
Re:Gamers will be gamers - Sunday, June 16, 2013 12:24 PM ( #7 )
I'm definitely a gamer, but that doesn't mean I'm helpless to the wiles of every single machine released, regardless of the consequences. I have enough self-control to realize that supporting the XBone is supporting a very bad direction for gaming and the gaming market. I've purchased every console in each generation since the PSOne, but this will be the first time since then that I skip a console.

At first I thought the XBone had a strong line up of games on show, but when I thought about it, it really didn't have anything that warrants a purchase, particularly within year one. KI is a F2P trap and casualized SF4 clone, Dead Rising 3 looks like more Dead Rising minus the quirky charm, Quantum Break is just not my kind of thing from the sounds of it and Ryse basically plays itself. What's left? Titanfall I can play on PC. Forza? Not worth €499.

When I really reasoned it out, this machine has no value to me. AT ALL. It is the weaker of the two and thus has the less promising future, its policies are a joke and MS "scattergun" approach means they aren't paying attention to the needs of the gamer as much as they should. Although at least this time they had the decency to tell me they were going to ditch me before I showed up at the restaurant and bought them dinner (á la post-2008 360).
Mr Tretton

• Total Posts : 2532
Re:Gamers will be gamers - Sunday, June 16, 2013 1:37 PM ( #8 )
^That.

duplissi

• Total Posts : 1751
Re:Gamers will be gamers - Sunday, June 16, 2013 2:00 PM ( #9 )
Meh, we as the consumer are the people who tell the big companies what practices are ok and whats not ok. How do we do this? we vote with our hard earned cash. I dont care how many awesome games the xbox one has as long as the online check in, used game policy, and always required kinect are still in effect I will tell microsoft just what I think of all that by not buying a xbox one. by buying one you are saying... "ah I guess its ok."   

IT IS NOT. I will not sacrifice my consumer rights to play some games no matter how awesome they may appear..
<message edited by duplissi on Sunday, June 16, 2013 2:03 PM>
darthmaul

Re:Gamers will be gamers - Sunday, June 16, 2013 2:27 PM ( #10 )
You guys have excellent points and I like your conviction. I think as the release date gets closer a lot of people will ease up and give in. It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong about something and definitely wont be the last.

TheMART

• Total Posts : 3356
Re:Gamers will be gamers - Sunday, June 16, 2013 2:54 PM ( #11 )
darthmaul

Well, that didnt take long. I preordered the Xbox One today. Before you persecute me, let me explain. I was one of the people screaming from the mountain tops about the Xbox Ones used game policy. I hated the fact that my machine will have to "check in" once every 24 hours. I was saying "who the hell does microsoft think they are?" After watching their E3 presentation I swore I would not buy this console no matter what. Obviously I have changed my mind, and I suspect a lot of you have, or will, change your minds as well. I am not a fanboy of a particular system. I own a PS3, a 360, a Wii, and even a WII U (I know, I know). Each system has its strengths and weakness. I enjoy them equally (particularly the PS3 and 360). Thinking back on microsofts conference, I kept thinking about the one thing that I think some people have forgotten about. THE GAMES!! I have to experience Titanfall, Halo, Killer Instinct, and Dead Rising 3. I also must experience Infamous Second Son, Knack, and Killzone on the PS4. I guess what I am trying to say is I am a gamer. A GAMER!! I have owned every major console that has ever come out and the fact that microsoft has changed up the game a bit should not stop me from enjoying my games. I can't give/receive a game from a friend? Ill live. My machine will have to check in every 24 hours? Ill live. I am being forced to by the Kinect camera? Ill live. None of these things will stop me from playing and enjoying my chosen craft. Again, I suspect some of you will eventually feel the same, some sooner than others. If you are a gamer like myself, the gamer in you WILL come out.

Cool story poe. If you're a true gamer, you'd know that Titanfall is from EA, and EA always make stuff multiplatform. At best a 6 months timed exclusive. No need to buy Xbone for. Halo is ruined after 343 took over, the fanbase left its MP and will jump on Bungies new IP Destiny, which gets the extra DLC on PS4. Killer Instinct? Don't make me laugh. Free to play eh. One character free, the rest you pay for as DLC. Made by Double Helix, not Rare. Dead Rising 3. Dunno. Looks like Dead Rising 2, just more zombies on screen at once. Could very well be a timed exclusive too.

Look, I got all systems pretty much every gen up till now. Heck, I own 2 PS3's 3 x 360, two PSP's, Wii, PSVita... Just this gen. But I gotta say: not the number of consoles, nor supporting any device out there makes one a gamer. If that was the case, you should get an Ouya and a future Steambox too. And all other stuff that releases.

I will shun Xbrick. Because as a gamer, we should unite and stand up against policies and ways that destroy gaming as we know it. If MS is supported in doing so, who knows Sony might follow them in the end as they see that it doesn't make a difference in sales. A gamers voice is heard by a gamers wallet. The gamer in me has come out. I was one of the biggest 360 fans on N4G, but MS is taking it too far. Sure you'll live with all restrictions they put up. Is it alright to vote for these restrictions by buying the device? No, it is not.

Mr Tretton

• Total Posts : 2532
Re:Gamers will be gamers - Sunday, June 16, 2013 4:06 PM ( #12 )
darthmaul

I think as the release date gets closer a lot of people will ease up and give in. 

Well sure, a lot of people are going to buy it, just like a lot of people bought the Sega Saturn.

But trying to align your consumer urges with those of others is a horrible excuse to justify your decision.

Since you said you buy every console, why not get a PS4 and see how things pan out a little with XBO? Lots of people did that this gen with getting a 360 first. 

ZombieNinjaPanda

• Total Posts : 11431
Re:Gamers will be gamers - Sunday, June 16, 2013 4:36 PM ( #13 )
duplissi

Meh, we as the consumer are the people who tell the big companies what practices are ok and whats not ok. How do we do this? we vote with our hard earned cash. I dont care how many awesome games the xbox one has as long as the online check in, used game policy, and always required kinect are still in effect I will tell microsoft just what I think of all that by not buying a xbox one. by buying one you are saying... "ah I guess its ok."   

IT IS NOT. I will not sacrifice my consumer rights to play some games no matter how awesome they may appear..

Lmfao. You know this is completely false Dup. We as the consumer are the 1%. Our wallets literally mean nothing. 

Nate-Dog

• Total Posts : 2115
Re:Gamers will be gamers - Sunday, June 16, 2013 5:03 PM ( #14 )
Not all gamers are hypocrites and cave in. Sorry to call you that, but it's the truth. But unfortunately, there are a lot of people that do this, the ones that love to have their cake and eat it too.

TheMART

• Total Posts : 3356
Re:Gamers will be gamers - Sunday, June 16, 2013 5:08 PM ( #15 )
ZombieNinjaPanda

duplissi

Lmfao. You know this is completely false Dup. We as the consumer are the 1%. Our wallets literally mean nothing. 

Just our wallets might be just 1%... Good thing though that early innovators, core gamers that buy a console at its premium price level influence peer groups a lot. Their friends, their co-workers, in a big way. Often even more so than any commercial, marketing campaign etc. does.

The gameparty's I throw once in a while, I did also when 360 just released. Anyone that visits the gameparties bought a 360 back then. None of them bought a PS3. Not even when PS3 revived itself and got more 1st party great games after 2008/2009. Because they all invested in the 360 and wouldn't switch, nor get a 2nd console aside of the 360 for some 1st party games.

When I'll throw a gameparty this winter with the PS4 there and my advice on next gen, I bet you, all of them will buy a PS4. We're talking about 10 to 15 people alone here already. Outside of the gameparty friends, there are lots of other groups. Other friends, family, co-workers etc. All my nieces, cousins, they all got 360's as they saw that stuff overhere the most. Etc etc. I don't know how many people got their mind on a 360 this gen because of me, but if I gotta estimate, it is at least around 30 people, up to 50 people in my direct surrounding. And then those that one influences but doesn't speak a lot, or just have spoken a couple of times in all these years.

So yeah, our wallets alone... Won't change a lot. Core gamers talk is like oil spreading on water though...

SonyPS4

• Total Posts : 3
Re:Gamers will be gamers - Sunday, June 16, 2013 7:54 PM ( #16 )
I am a gamer first, human being second and I sure don't need this Xbone. I purchased my Xbox360 long before my PS3 and own less than 20 games for it, while I have over 80 for my PS3. I am not that much an Xbox fan to begin with, but all MS did was making my decision MUCH easier. PS4/Wii U/PC gaming for me.
duplissi

• Total Posts : 1751
Re:Gamers will be gamers - Monday, June 17, 2013 12:30 AM ( #17 )
ZombieNinjaPanda

duplissi

so microsoft is magically going to make money off the xbox one if people arent buying it?

After Coming back to this post I am not sure if you were serious...
<message edited by duplissi on Tuesday, June 18, 2013 3:37 AM>

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message