What do you think is the biggest lesson of this gen?

B Man

• Total Posts : 8479
  • Reward points : 0
What do you think is the biggest lesson of this gen? - Wednesday, June 19, 2013 9:22 AM ( #1 )
What should Sony and Microsoft take away from this gen?  

I'd say the biggest lesson they should have learned this gen is to spend more time making sure RRODs and YLODs don't happen again. 
Mr Tretton

• Total Posts : 2532
Re:What do you think is the biggest lesson of this gen? - Wednesday, June 19, 2013 1:08 PM ( #2 )
That people will buy $60 games at record breaking sales and shovel out more for DLC/map packs at $15 each, making games cost over $120 in the end. They'll even pay for a 'season pass' or 'premium' up front to save a few bucks, yet still pay $110 upfront. They'll pay $50-$60 a year to play online. 

Lesson: Gouge the consumer. It works. 
P.S. - B Man, I could watch your sig all day

<message edited by Mr Tretton on Wednesday, June 19, 2013 1:09 PM>

NeverEnding1989

• Total Posts : 666
Re:What do you think is the biggest lesson of this gen? - Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:30 PM ( #3 )
There are just a lot of things from this gen that I just don't want to ever head again. Obviously hardware, I've been gaming for 20 years and outside of my PS2, I've never had a console break on me outside of this gen (although my Wii still works?).

I want the update and the load times cut drastically. "I can go make a sandwich while I wait" is a quote I've heard far, far too many times from PS3 owners. 

And I'd hope publishers have learned that you can't charge $60 for a game that's 10 hours or less. But I know they haven't. 

Welcome to next gen:

pandehz

• Total Posts : 31
Re:What do you think is the biggest lesson of this gen? - Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:52 PM ( #4 )
Should be able to run Crysis, if not then its time to upgrade
Chard

• Total Posts : 507
Re:What do you think is the biggest lesson of this gen? - Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:00 PM ( #5 )
Good quality game development studios need to be nurtured in order for good quality games to be made. Sony has got this aspect under control now. I weep for Rare.

timmyp53

• Total Posts : 2733
Re:What do you think is the biggest lesson of this gen? - Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:07 PM ( #6 )
PC is King.

I was talking to Ichimaru earlier and stated that if Steam gets game sharing then consoles are miles behind now. Not too mention that you can already share your library with anyone if you trust them with your account details already.

DaThreats

• Total Posts : 1596
Re:What do you think is the biggest lesson of this gen? - Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:07 PM ( #7 )
MS has been doing alot of BS, and they thought they will be able to do it even more with next-gen consoles.
It was because people kept falling for it with the Xbox 360, and hopefully now people will wake up and not fall for it again.

caseh

• Total Posts : 317
Re:What do you think is the biggest lesson of this gen? - Wednesday, June 19, 2013 11:01 PM ( #8 )

That people will buy $60 games at record breaking sales and shovel out more for DLC/map packs at $15 each, making games cost over $120 in the end. They'll even pay for a 'season pass' or 'premium' up front to save a few bucks, yet still pay $110 upfront.
Haha that made me chuckle and its so f*cking true. I would just like to take this moment to thank all the people who have willingly paid for DLC this generation, in effect encouraging companies to strip content knowing you would rather pay extra for it. *OVERLY ENTHUSIASTIC CLAP*

WildArmed

• Total Posts : 10162
Re:What do you think is the biggest lesson of this gen? - Thursday, June 20, 2013 12:16 AM ( #9 )
New IPs are still worth investing in : Heavy Rain, LA Noire, Alan wake all had pretty good sales and were totally unknown at the beginning of this gen. 

Don't get stuck on the FPS FPS FPS formula. 

MarauderShields

• Total Posts : 143
Re:What do you think is the biggest lesson of this gen? - Thursday, June 20, 2013 3:05 AM ( #10 )
That fanboys are hilarious
Picnic

• Total Posts : 165
Re:What do you think is the biggest lesson of this gen? - Thursday, June 20, 2013 7:29 AM ( #11 )
People like a good choice of games above all.
caseh

• Total Posts : 317
Re:What do you think is the biggest lesson of this gen? - Thursday, June 20, 2013 7:20 PM ( #12 )
If a game has 'Call of Duty' in its title, it will breach 5mil sales within a week despite most people complaining its another cut 'n' paste job.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread