What was, and will be, next gen?

MiloGarret

• Total Posts : 1366
  • Reward points : 0
What was, and will be, next gen? - Sunday, June 23, 2013 3:54 PM ( #1 )
The question of this thread is what development in gaming you consider made the current console gen "next gen" compared to PS2/Xbox generation, and what you think will make PS4/Xbox One next gen compared to PS3/Xbox 360. Apart from the graphics.

PS2/Xbox - PS3/Xbox 360: For me it's been the move online. At the beginnng of this gen I did not imagine that online console gaming would be as huge as it is today, now it's an essential part of any big budget release. 

PS3/Xbox 360 - PS4/Xbox One: I was hoping that it would be the digitalisation of gaming, and expansion of the Steam model, in some form, to consoles. But that's not happening. So I'm thinking that the ability to share experiences will be a thing.

Now you.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.
moegooner88

• Total Posts : 2046
Re:What was, and will be, next gen? - Sunday, June 23, 2013 4:12 PM ( #2 )

PS2/Xbox - PS3/Xbox 360: The increased emphasis on the exact replication of landmark locations, and cities in videogames, especially the open world ones, as well as the increased developer dependence on online to influence the gaming experience, which wasn't always a good thing.

PS3/Xbox 360 - PS4/Xbox One: Hopefully the introduction of open world elements into already existing genres , and franchises, MGSV, and KZSF come to mind.

Tewi-Inaba

• Total Posts : 2216
Re:What was, and will be, next gen? - Sunday, June 23, 2013 4:32 PM ( #3 )
- [This post was marked as helpful]
PC

Friend Code:1650-0941-8045
WildArmed

• Total Posts : 10162
Re:What was, and will be, next gen? - Sunday, June 23, 2013 5:02 PM ( #4 )
This gne it will probably be social media gen.

But, I think we've already made the digital move this gen. Most games release simultaneously on PSN/Live as the retail, we now have the option to go digital if we choose. 

coolbeans

• Total Posts : 3288
Re:What was, and will be, next gen? - Sunday, June 23, 2013 5:05 PM ( #5 )
Tatsumaki

PC

I couldn't help but laugh when looking at the comment + sig.   

On topic:

It really feels too similar to what made this gen...'next gen.'  Rather than seeing primitive implementations of social features and such, it'll just become more advanced.  
<message edited by coolbeans on Sunday, June 23, 2013 5:18 PM>
wishingW3L

• Total Posts : 1091
Re:What was, and will be, next gen? - Sunday, June 23, 2013 5:11 PM ( #6 )
you never imaged that online gaming was going to be huge TC? 

Ever since I played SFII and dial-up internet became viable to the masses all I could think about was playing that game online. I remember going through some major hassles to make Kaillera work in the early 2000's with Zsnes and while it was laggy it was playable and it worked with almost every Snes game, especially for the beat em ups like Ninja Turtle IV but the lag made fighting games like SFII unplayable.

I heard there was some project to make the PS3's Snes9x emulator be able to play games online but I don't know what happened with that. I might even hack a PS3 just to play Snes games online. XD

But anyway, next-gen will be defined by social integration and that is obvious.
TheMART

• Total Posts : 3356
Re:What was, and will be, next gen? - Sunday, June 23, 2013 5:21 PM ( #7 )
MiloGarret

The question of this thread is what development in gaming you consider made the current console gen "next gen" compared to PS2/Xbox generation, and what you think will make PS4/Xbox One next gen compared to PS3/Xbox 360. Apart from the graphics.

PS2/Xbox - PS3/Xbox 360: For me it's been the move online. At the beginnng of this gen I did not imagine that online console gaming would be as huge as it is today, now it's an essential part of any big budget release. 

PS3/Xbox 360 - PS4/Xbox One: I was hoping that it would be the digitalisation of gaming, and expansion of the Steam model, in some form, to consoles. But that's not happening. So I'm thinking that the ability to share experiences will be a thing.

Now you.

Last gen - this gen: can't get around it mainly online for consoles it made most game changing stuff happen

This gen - next gen: from seeing a list of friends and indication in words of what they play at that moment, to seeing live what they're playing and jump in/take over. And, the integration of handheld/PSVita with home console/PS4.

Mr Tretton

• Total Posts : 2532
Re:What was, and will be, next gen? - Sunday, June 23, 2013 5:31 PM ( #8 )
I hope next gen will actually be defined by new, ground breaking games, not add-on hardware and online features. :/ (not that those things can't help, but, you know what I mean.)
<message edited by Mr Tretton on Sunday, June 23, 2013 5:33 PM>

-MD-

• Total Posts : 8196
Re:What was, and will be, next gen? - Sunday, June 23, 2013 5:47 PM ( #9 )
Hopefully loading times won't exist anymore.

The Last of Us was refreshing in that sense, after the initial (long) loading time I don't remember a single time during the game where it loaded.
Mr Tretton

• Total Posts : 2532
Re:What was, and will be, next gen? - Sunday, June 23, 2013 5:55 PM ( #10 )
-MD-

Hopefully loading times won't exist anymore.

http://n4g.com/news/12888...ns-are-a-passe-concept

Pandamobile

• Total Posts : 1709
Re:What was, and will be, next gen? - Sunday, June 23, 2013 6:24 PM ( #11 )
This is my next-gen:

I'll can hold off til 2015 or 2016 to get a PS4. I'll shell out $300 for a Rift the moment I can afford it.

-MD-

• Total Posts : 8196
Re:What was, and will be, next gen? - Sunday, June 23, 2013 6:30 PM ( #12 )
Pandamobile

This is my next-gen:  

I must be the only one that isn't impressed by that thing. 
ColdFeet

• Total Posts : 65
Re:What was, and will be, next gen? - Sunday, June 23, 2013 6:33 PM ( #13 )
I concur on load times. I can only imagine games like skyrim where you walk into a home without having to wait for a loading screen. 2x more immersion.
Pandamobile

• Total Posts : 1709
Re:What was, and will be, next gen? - Sunday, June 23, 2013 7:04 PM ( #14 )
-MD-

Pandamobile

This is my next-gen:  

I must be the only one that isn't impressed by that thing. 

Probably because you haven't tried it yet. 
TheMART

Re:What was, and will be, next gen? - Monday, June 24, 2013 4:02 AM ( #15 )
harryitl10

I watched some anime.  

Nice that you did kid. Question is what you gain from spamming it in multiple threads though.

TheMART

Re:What was, and will be, next gen? - Monday, June 24, 2013 6:16 AM ( #16 )
coldfeetatafuneral

I concur on load times. I can only imagine games like skyrim where you walk into a home without having to wait for a loading screen. 2x more immersion.

And to add on times one gotta wait before playing... Besides downloading through PSN/PS3, it afterwards takes a long time to install that same game before one can play. The 360 downloading from XBL seems to install on the fly when something is downloaded, not having to wait another round of 5 to 15 mins of installing.

On PSVita Sony already reduced this installation time by a lot, which is fairly quickly after a download, no matter if the game is 4GB big or not.

Looking at Sony's showing of the feature interface, stuff like that is almost instantly, with playing already even when you're downloading the rest of the game/demo.

So I'd say, not just load times but reducing the time one gotta wait, loading, downloading/installing, booting up a system, shutting down a game, using the dashboard interface while in a game etc etc.

MiloGarret

• Total Posts : 1366
Re:What was, and will be, next gen? - Monday, June 24, 2013 7:42 AM ( #17 )
I've been thinking along the same lines as some of you too. Seems the persistent open world games with seamless sp/mp integration is a thing. Shove no loading times in there and it's an actual developmen.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.
redDevil87

• Total Posts : 8354
Re:What was, and will be, next gen? - Monday, June 24, 2013 2:14 PM ( #18 )
I think next gen will be about things like better textures, particle effects and 60fps (well an aim to meet it)
Social aspects will be integrated into a lot of games and other things such as smartglass will be rammed down our throats in all games.

<message edited by redDevil87 on Monday, June 24, 2013 2:18 PM>

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message