Just inherited a PS2, what are some good games for it?

B Man

• Total Posts : 8468
  • Reward points : 0
Just inherited a PS2, what are some good games for it? - Wednesday, June 26, 2013 3:09 PM ( #1 )
My wife gave me hers she found packed away.   I'd always wanted one but didn't have enough money last gen.  I'm mainly looking for great JRPG games, but I'll welcome all suggestions. 
Satanas

• Total Posts : 13047
Re:Just inherited a PS2, what are some good games for it? - Wednesday, June 26, 2013 3:28 PM ( #2 )
Perhaps not the genre you're looking for, but Panzer Dragoon would be a Japanese game I'd recommend if you've not played it
Shawn-

• Total Posts : 74
Re:Just inherited a PS2, what are some good games for it? - Wednesday, June 26, 2013 4:41 PM ( #3 )
Okami. You won't get mad at graphics because it's cell shaded.

Kenshin_BATT0USAI

• Total Posts : 10799
Re:Just inherited a PS2, what are some good games for it? - Wednesday, June 26, 2013 4:49 PM ( #4 )
There are frankly too many to list. The console mainly had JRPGS.

I found this list online.

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PS2-must-play-jRPGs

The first post has quite a few.

My personal suggestion is Star Ocean 3 and Final Fantasy 12. Both will easily last you up to 150 hours if you try to do more than the main quest.

Oh and the .hack//g.u. series was really good too, although it's next to impossible to find all three games and all of them are priced over $100 each now.
<message edited by Vashlion on Wednesday, June 26, 2013 4:51 PM>
Formerly Known as Hellbringer. PSN: KenshinBATT0USAI 3DS: 2895-6892-5663 Steam: Vashlion
MattyG

• Total Posts : 3346
Re:Just inherited a PS2, what are some good games for it? - Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:46 PM ( #5 )
Persona 4 and Final Fantasy X. 

wishingW3L

• Total Posts : 1091
Re:Just inherited a PS2, what are some good games for it? - Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:46 PM ( #6 )
Rogue Galaxy
Dragon Quest 8 [16:9 support]
Valkyrie Profile 2 [480p & 16:9 support] BTW, this one is 2D but the battle system is 3D, weird but decent (7/10)
Final Fantasy 12 [16:9 support]
Star Ocean 3 is decent (another 7/10) but it doesn't work well with the newest PS2 slim models. The game has both 480p and 16:9 support but by enabling the Progressive Scan the game looks worse instead of looking better, so I recommend just using the 16:9 support and that is it. lol
Grandia II is amazing but the PS2 version is just a shoddy Dreamcast port but if you can put up with the archaic graphics you'll experience one of the best battle systems ever created.
Shadow Hearts 1-2
Suikoden III & V (IV is good too but very tedious because of the navigation)
Odin's Sphere the game is hand-drawn 2D like Muramasa and it plays just like it but with more of an RPG twist with hit points and some customization. I could never beat this one though because at the end of the story of the first character the game has some serious issues with frame-rate that made the game almost unplayable to me so I dropped it. The story was incredibly good which is a shame really not be able to beat it. I heard the emulated version on PSN doesn't suffer from this though.

I personally would avoid the Xenosaga trilogy all together, the story is bad and boring and the games consist of a bunch of really looong cut-scenes one after the other; Soraya Saga really dropped the ball here and even though Xenosaga 3 (she didn't write the story for this one) is really good is not worth it if you have to force yourself to play the first 2 just to know the story. Tales of Legendia is BUTT, if you want to play a Tales game then Tales of Abyss is a much better game when it comes to both, story and gameplay. Shining Tears is awful, avoid it at all cost. For Digital Devil Saga is better to just play the second one since the first one is just pointless and irrelevant back story and is just more of the same. Nocturne is just an overrated and boring dungeon crawler. Persona 3 and 4 require way too much time but both are epic games. Wild Arms Alter Code F is a remake of the first one from the PS1 and is very good if you want something old-school. If you like strategy and comedy then Disgaea Hour of Darkness is good and is particularly good to play now that it'll get a direct sequel on PS3 very soon called Disgaea D2. Another good strategy game but with a more serious tone is Growlanser Generations and it comes with 2 games, both equally good. 

From the super Niche side that has nothing to do with Shin Megami Tensei I liked these:

Sakura Wars V is an hybrid dating sim/strategy RPG. I loved this game but it's hard to recommend. You need very peculiar taste to like something like this. Basically you have to be a weaboo. ha

All of these are sprite based BTW but beautiful.

Mana Kehmia 1-2 (tedious alchemy but the second one is particularly good but expensive. Has lost of anime like comedy.)
Atelier Iris Mana (more tedious alchemy but still liked it because it's SNES/90's kind of old-school)
Ar Tonelico 1-2 (these ones are more story centric if you don't want to grind so much but beware of the sexual innuendos. It has an awful sequel on PS3 that no one should ever play though. Ar Tonelico Qoga or something... lol)

And yes I own and have beaten most of these games. If you're not much of an anime fan beside stuff like DBZ then I highly recommend: Suikoden, Rogue Galaxy or Final Fantasy XII. Never played .Hack so I can't comment on it but they are way too expensive now and some people would want my head for saying this but I never liked Dark Cloud, and Okami is an awfully tedious and boring game. XD

There are still many more RPGs on the PS2 but these are the ones I own and that I have played.
<message edited by wishingW3L on Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:49 PM>
-MD-

• Total Posts : 8195
Re:Just inherited a PS2, what are some good games for it? - Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:53 PM ( #7 )
  • Twisted Metal Black 
  • Manhunt 
  • The Bouncer (not sure if it holds up) 
  • Dark Cloud
moegooner88

• Total Posts : 2041
Re:Just inherited a PS2, what are some good games for it? - Wednesday, June 26, 2013 7:47 PM ( #8 )
Shadow Hearts Covenant, one of the best JRPGs ever.
B Man

• Total Posts : 8468
Re:Just inherited a PS2, what are some good games for it? - Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:39 PM ( #9 )
Persona 4 I got on Vita and Grandia 2 I already have on dream cast, but great suggestions so far.   Looks like I'll be pretty busy with this and the upcoming steam sale. 
MarauderShields

• Total Posts : 143
Re:Just inherited a PS2, what are some good games for it? - Wednesday, June 26, 2013 11:18 PM ( #10 )
Dark Cloud 2, you won't even need 1 for 2 since the only thing the same is the name.
TheNocturnus

• Total Posts : 4402
Re:Just inherited a PS2, what are some good games for it? - Thursday, June 27, 2013 10:58 AM ( #11 )
GTA 3, VC & San Andreas.

My PSN ID is: xNocturnus    XBL Tag is: xX Nocturnus Xx
-MD-

• Total Posts : 8195
Re:Just inherited a PS2, what are some good games for it? - Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:13 PM ( #12 )
TheNocturnus

GTA 3

The best GTA
thorstein

• Total Posts : 418
Re:Just inherited a PS2, what are some good games for it? - Thursday, June 27, 2013 3:06 PM ( #13 )
 Dragon Quest VIII that is all.
iNcRiMiNaTi

• Total Posts : 1357
Re:Just inherited a PS2, what are some good games for it? - Thursday, June 27, 2013 3:32 PM ( #14 )
Klonoa 2: Lunatae's Veil
God Hand
SOCOM 1-3
Zone of the Enders 2: 2nd Runner
Devil May Cry 3 SE
Final Fantasy X
Shadow of the Colossus 
Xandet

• Total Posts : 280
Re:Just inherited a PS2, what are some good games for it? - Thursday, June 27, 2013 4:22 PM ( #15 )
  Persona 4 will be the greatest JRPG you ever play. Other than that, Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2, Persona 3 FES, Final Fantasy XII, Dark Cloud 2, Rogue Galaxy (disgustingly underrated), Odin Sphere, and Okami. The Ys games are a good bit of fun too.
<message edited by Xandet on Thursday, June 27, 2013 4:26 PM>

---

Ingram

• Total Posts : 642
Re:Just inherited a PS2, what are some good games for it? - Thursday, June 27, 2013 8:20 PM ( #16 )
Xandet

Persona 4 will be the greatest JRPG you ever play. Other than that, Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2, Persona 3 FES, Final Fantasy XII, Dark Cloud 2, Rogue Galaxy (disgustingly underrated), Odin Sphere, and Okami. The Ys games are a good bit of fun too.

This is as good as it gets, believe in this list
Hufandpuf

• Total Posts : 88
Re:Just inherited a PS2, what are some good games for it? - Thursday, June 27, 2013 11:22 PM ( #17 )
nobody mentioned Kingdom Hearts 1-2 yet? ****s wrong with yall?
MarauderShields

• Total Posts : 143
Re:Just inherited a PS2, what are some good games for it? - Friday, June 28, 2013 12:24 AM ( #18 )
Hufandpuf

nobody mentioned Kingdom Hearts 1-2 yet? ****s wrong with yall?

Cause its overrated

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message