Recording Gameplay - Size and Quality

MeatAbstract

• Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 0
Recording Gameplay - Size and Quality - Thursday, July 04, 2013 1:10 AM ( #1 )
I've been messing around with FRAPS and recording some gameplay. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wutWMOALWW0 This was originally recorded at 1080p 60fps. The framerate is the same but the highest I put it was 720p in order to get the file down to under 500mb (original file 54gb). I was wondering how can I improve the quality as people post some really good looking gameplay videos on youtube in full 1080p. Are these people just sucking it up and waiting the ridiculously long upload times youtube has or do they have a solid method of video compression? My method was the run the FRAPS files through virtual dub and put them all together then compress them through ripbot. So does anyone know of any other software or methods that compresses files very small with high quality?
<message edited by MeatAbstract on Thursday, July 04, 2013 1:12 AM>
iNcRiMiNaTi

• Total Posts : 1357
Re:Recording Gameplay - Size and Quality - Thursday, July 04, 2013 1:57 AM ( #2 )
The smaller the file, the less quality you'll get pretty much. I just use sony vegas to compress my videos, which are still pretty large (ranges between 1gb-3gb from 50gb+ files) and I'll just wait a few hours to upload if needed.
GameOn

• Total Posts : 352
Re:Recording Gameplay - Size and Quality - Thursday, July 04, 2013 5:47 AM ( #3 )
Does youtube even play in 60fps. Maybe try recording at 30fps.
N7Lukas

• Total Posts : 19
Re:Recording Gameplay - Size and Quality - Thursday, July 04, 2013 6:06 AM ( #4 )
GameOn

Does youtube even play in 60fps. Maybe try recording at 30fps.

Nah, Youtube only displays 30fps.

OP- Record in 30 and save yourself alot of time and size.

All this I cannot bear to witness any longer, cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?
MeatAbstract

• Total Posts : 12
Re:Recording Gameplay - Size and Quality - Thursday, July 04, 2013 10:01 AM ( #5 )
With most games I would record in 30fps but with Chivalry 60fps. If I set fraps to record at 30fps the slowdown is terrible for the game.
Bladesfist

• Total Posts : 758
Re:Recording Gameplay - Size and Quality - Friday, July 05, 2013 11:16 AM ( #6 )
MeatAbstract

With most games I would record in 30fps but with Chivalry 60fps. If I set fraps to record at 30fps the slowdown is terrible for the game.

Use DXtory
MidnytRain

• Total Posts : 3378
Re:Recording Gameplay - Size and Quality - Friday, July 05, 2013 4:16 PM ( #7 )
MeatAbstract

Why does recording at lower rates cause more slowdown?
TheNocturnus

• Total Posts : 4400
Re:Recording Gameplay - Size and Quality - Friday, July 05, 2013 4:28 PM ( #8 )
Next gen will do all the video work for you so sell your recorder now while it still has value.

My PSN ID is: xNocturnus    XBL Tag is: xX Nocturnus Xx
MidnytRain

• Total Posts : 3378
Re:Recording Gameplay - Size and Quality - Friday, July 05, 2013 6:10 PM ( #9 )
TheNocturnus

Next gen will do all the video work for you so sell your recorder now while it still has value.

I thought there was a not-so big limit on how much you could record? If that's true than one would need a separate recorder to do walkthroughs and "Let's Plays."
GameOn

• Total Posts : 352
Re:Recording Gameplay - Size and Quality - Friday, July 05, 2013 6:44 PM ( #10 )
TheNocturnus

Its software....
timmyp53

• Total Posts : 2712
Re:Recording Gameplay - Size and Quality - Friday, July 05, 2013 8:21 PM ( #11 )
MidnytRain

MeatAbstract

Why does recording at lower rates cause more slowdown?

I remember fraps having an option to lock framerate to recording framerate value. Your going to want to have that unchecked if isn't already.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread