[ PLEASE HELP ] Ps3/Xbox360/Pc Router and modem issues; + Microsoft eHome Help

ZooMiss

• Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
[ PLEASE HELP ] Ps3/Xbox360/Pc Router and modem issues; + Microsoft eHome Help - Monday, July 08, 2013 1:07 PM ( #1 )
Hey guys! So first i want to start by saying i need lots of help. I recently took in my Microsoft gateway Intel(R) Core(TM) computer to best buy to get it fixed and when i got it back i couldnt figure out how to reconnect my Microsoft eHome keyboard and mouse because the guy used his own and he had to restore my pc back to a certain date. If you have any solutions do some looking around ad try to find something  have to use the on-screen keyboard to type all this..
Anyways on to the main topic. I have an At&t 2wire 2701HG-B router which is downstairs in the office room. Ever since i started playing video games on my ps3/xbox360/Pc i have always had issues with lag. Im not an expert on this topic but i do have some basic knowledge. I live with my mom and 2 sisters. We each have an iphone 4s, ipod touch, and a family ipad. Along with that we have 5 computers but only use 3 of them. I do not have uverse or anything fancy just the basic plan. Im thinking that since our router is quite old + so many people are using our routers wifi so frequently, it is causing lag towards the internet. I have watched some videos on youtube where people have said using a modem to use only for direct connections to your pc, xbox, and ps3 will minimize lag because nobody else can use that wifi, but clearly i know nothing bout modems or routers. i have taken ping test on:  and  and these were my results: 

Like i said i dont know what that means but thats why you guys are here to help. I want to get a good modem only for me to use so i have the least amount of lag possible ( I play competitive Cod ) Or if possible i have been looking into possibly getting verison FiOS cause it looks really fast and good connection. So if you guys have anything you know PLEASE tell me i need all the help i can get!

- ZooMiss
SmokeyMcBear

• Total Posts : 14805
Re:[ PLEASE HELP ] Ps3/Xbox360/Pc Router and modem issues; + Microsoft eHome Hel - Monday, July 08, 2013 1:18 PM ( #2 )
I'm sorry but those numbers are atrocious, no wonder you get lag in gaming. I don't think it has anything to do with how many people are connected at one time to your router, it has to do with the connection you have at your home being so slow. The ping would preferebly be below 50ms with your upbload and download speeds at least 1 to 2 Mb/sec... sooo.. yeah, good luck, some people know more about this than me, but looking at those numbers, it doesnt look good.

All work and no play.. makes odion go something something
ZooMiss

Re:[ PLEASE HELP ] Ps3/Xbox360/Pc Router and modem issues; + Microsoft eHome Hel - Monday, July 08, 2013 1:38 PM ( #3 )
SmokeyMcBear

I'm sorry but those numbers are atrocious, no wonder you get lag in gaming. I don't think it has anything to do with how many people are connected at one time to your router, it has to do with the connection you have at your home being so slow. The ping would preferebly be below 50ms with your upbload and download speeds at least 1 to 2 Mb/sec... sooo.. yeah, good luck, some people know more about this than me, but looking at those numbers, it doesnt look good.

So what do you recommend switching ISP's?

TheNocturnus

• Total Posts : 4403
Re:[ PLEASE HELP ] Ps3/Xbox360/Pc Router and modem issues; + Microsoft eHome Hel - Monday, July 08, 2013 1:55 PM ( #4 )
I have basic Time Warner internet and here was my speed test for a comparison.

Not great but very functional and I have no problems playing online.

You need much faster internet.
Eiffel

• Total Posts : 11966
Re:[ PLEASE HELP ] Ps3/Xbox360/Pc Router and modem issues; + Microsoft eHome Hel - Monday, July 08, 2013 1:56 PM ( #5 )
One benefit to mankind would be for AT&T to die. 

SmokeyMcBear

Re:[ PLEASE HELP ] Ps3/Xbox360/Pc Router and modem issues; + Microsoft eHome Hel - Monday, July 08, 2013 2:05 PM ( #6 )
yeah, you would need to switch ISP's or go with their upgraded tier. You have to check what services are available to you in your particular area. It all has to do with what cable infrastructure has been installed in your area, hopefully you can find something better, but yeah, its your internet connection, and not how many people are connected to your router.

Emilio_Estevez

• Total Posts : 2126
Re:[ PLEASE HELP ] Ps3/Xbox360/Pc Router and modem issues; + Microsoft eHome Hel - Monday, July 08, 2013 2:09 PM ( #7 )
ZooMiss

SmokeyMcBear

So what do you recommend switching ISP's?

I would recommend to at least get them out there to fix your connection speed if that is accurate. I don't know what kind of plan your on, but it looks like your internet is not functioning at the speed it should. Those speeds are way too low. I would bet you're paying for at least double that and probably much more. You're that guy skipping across the screen in online games, do what it takes to not be that guy. 

Those speeds can't be what your plan is advertised as. If it is then swap providers. 
<message edited by Emilio_Estevez on Monday, July 08, 2013 2:10 PM>

ZoyosJD

• Total Posts : 457
Re:[ PLEASE HELP ] Ps3/Xbox360/Pc Router and modem issues; + Microsoft eHome Hel - Monday, July 08, 2013 2:25 PM ( #8 )

Just switch providers, they will replace your router, and AT&T is not very highly rated anyway. Fiber optics would be great if it is available in your area. I have a terrible connection in a rural area, and it is still many times faster than that. 

BTW, If you're in Kansas City you HAVE to get Google Fiber. It blows everything else available in the US out of the water.
ZooMiss

Re:[ PLEASE HELP ] Ps3/Xbox360/Pc Router and modem issues; + Microsoft eHome Hel - Monday, July 08, 2013 2:29 PM ( #9 )
ZoyosJD

Just switch providers, they will replace your router, and AT&T is not very highly rated anyway. Fiber optics would be great if it is available in your area. I have a terrible connection in a rural area, and it is still many times faster than that. 

BTW, If you're in Kansas City you HAVE to get Google Fiber. It blows everything else available in the US out of the water.

Thanks man ill definitely check that out!
TheNocturnus

Re:[ PLEASE HELP ] Ps3/Xbox360/Pc Router and modem issues; + Microsoft eHome Hel - Monday, July 08, 2013 2:32 PM ( #10 )
ZoyosJD

Google fiber is only available in Kansas City, Kansas. KCK is a run down, terrible area that very few decent people live in. They put the fastest internet in the Ghetto of all places for some dumbass reason. I think Google just thought Kansas City must be best in Kansas. Although to be fair, Kansas City, Missouri isn't much better.

Not sure where ZooMiss is from but I have signed up for Google Fiber for when it arrives in Belton.
ZoyosJD

Re:[ PLEASE HELP ] Ps3/Xbox360/Pc Router and modem issues; + Microsoft eHome Hel - Monday, July 08, 2013 4:08 PM ( #11 )
TheNocturnus

ZoyosJD

Google fiber is only available in Kansas City, Kansas. KCK is a run down, terrible area that very few decent people live in. They put the fastest internet in the Ghetto of all places for some dumbass reason. I think Google just thought Kansas City must be best in Kansas. Although to be fair, Kansas City, Missouri isn't much better.

Not sure where ZooMiss is from but I have signed up for Google Fiber for when it arrives in Belton.

It's available in both Kansas City, KS and Kansas City, MO.

https://fiber.google.com/cities/#header=check

I just noticed that one of the tests was close. They only have like 12 areas in progress, but that internet would be worth 20 times the installation cost in value added to the home. Not to mention that they wouldn't even have to pay to get a better connection than those tests.
<message edited by ZoyosJD on Monday, July 08, 2013 4:09 PM>
TheNocturnus

Re:[ PLEASE HELP ] Ps3/Xbox360/Pc Router and modem issues; + Microsoft eHome Hel - Monday, July 08, 2013 4:12 PM ( #12 )
ZoyosJD

I just noticed that one of the tests was close. They only have like 12 areas in progress, but that internet would be worth 20 times the installation cost in value added to the home. Not to mention that they wouldn't even have to pay to get a better connection than those tests.

Oh good. They are finally expanding it. I wonder if South KC includes Belton? If it does, i'm gonna get it. 
ZoyosJD

Re:[ PLEASE HELP ] Ps3/Xbox360/Pc Router and modem issues; + Microsoft eHome Hel - Monday, July 08, 2013 4:49 PM ( #13 )
TheNocturnus

ZoyosJD

Oh good. They are finally expanding it. I wonder if South KC includes Belton? If it does, i'm gonna get it. 

It was originally announced for both areas. Maybe you'll get lucky; south KC is only 6 on the list. And if you don't, hopefully a "friend" gets a 802.11ac wi-fi hot spot set up.

Yet, at the rate they are going 5G cell signal internet will be a more viable option before they reach me.
SmokeyMcBear

Re:[ PLEASE HELP ] Ps3/Xbox360/Pc Router and modem issues; + Microsoft eHome Hel - Monday, July 08, 2013 5:21 PM ( #14 )
nope, grandview is its own separate installation point, and its between belton and south kansas city. no google fiber for noc!

thorstein

• Total Posts : 438
Re:[ PLEASE HELP ] Ps3/Xbox360/Pc Router and modem issues; + Microsoft eHome Hel - Monday, July 08, 2013 7:19 PM ( #15 )
 Is that dial up? One thing that might be clogging up the works is if your wireless is unsecured and other people in the neighborhood are using it then you will be dragging.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 3 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread