I need help in deciding what phone to get

iamnsuperman

• Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points : 0
I need help in deciding what phone to get - Saturday, July 13, 2013 2:04 PM ( #1 )
My Iphone 4 has finally given up on me and luckily enough I can upgrade. My big question is why phone do I get. I want to stay away from the Iphone 5. Iphones are good but I am not feeling the new iphone.

After seeing a few reviews I have narrowed the list to Samsung Galaxy S4, HTC One and the Sony Xperia Z. The problem is there doesn't seem to be a general consensus to which is the best phone.  
NeverEnding1989

• Total Posts : 666
Re:I need help in deciding what phone to get - Saturday, July 13, 2013 2:14 PM ( #2 )
iamnsuperman

My Iphone 4 has finally given up on me and luckily enough I can upgrade. My big question is why phone do I get. I want to stay away from the Iphone 5. Iphones are good but I am not feeling the new iphone.

After seeing a few reviews I have narrowed the list to Samsung Galaxy S4, HTC One and the Sony Xperia Z. The problem is there doesn't seem to be a general consensus to which is the best phone.  

Congratz!

Not sure what your budget is, but from what I've seen the S4 prices are a bit ridiculous. Sorry I can't be of much help, but my recommendation for best value phone would be the the Nexus 4. Good luck. 

Welcome to next gen:

TheMART

• Total Posts : 3356
Re:I need help in deciding what phone to get - Saturday, July 13, 2013 2:28 PM ( #3 )
Yeah, iPhone is done. What I disliked about Apple/iOS is that I gave my old iPhone 3G to my dad some time ago. Suddenly Whatsapp stopped working after an update. It appeared that Apple had updated some stuff so that the app wouldn't work. Whatsapp dev was willing to update it, but Apple didn't let them. Some kind of covered up facked up way to have people to be forced to buy a new iPhone while the old one is working perfectly fine. Really bad.

Galaxy S2 I liked the design, S3 and S4 not so much. The S4 with 8 core CPU is a beast, not sure if you have the 4 core or 8 core in USA.

What NeverEnding says though, Nexus 4 is pretty much the best choice. Most value for money and as it is a Googles own device pretty much all the newest updates the first on your phone.

SKUD

• Total Posts : 2751
Re:I need help in deciding what phone to get - Saturday, July 13, 2013 7:02 PM ( #4 )

Having switched from ip4 to HTC One about three months ago, my experience with it has been a good one so far. It still impresses me how good the front facing speakers are when listening to music, watching videos and taking calls on speaker. Setup process was quick. Mine had very minimal bloatware. Downside is, I can't get rid of blink feed without rooting the phone. Don't use that at all and wish I could disable it. 

Performance wise, its still very snappy. Jumping between apps, txt, web pages and phone calls I have yet to see it bog down. Then again I'm always keeping tabs on memory usage. Don't really have an opinion on gaming performance cause well........I don't use my cell phone for that. Battery performance for me has been pretty good. Under heavy use I get about 7 1/2 hrs. If I just take a few calls but mainly txt, I've observed about 14hrs. My longest battery run was 1d 6hrs 50mn with about 6% life left. Battery saver / sleep mode enabled. First low battery warning comes at 14%.

My only real gripe is waking up the phone via the top power button. Would be better if you could touch the HTC logo to bring up the screen. I also noticed that if one of my fingers passes by the light sensor, reaction time to dim the screen is instant. Makes for an amusing experience during semi cloudy days. 

Overall I'm very happy with and IMO, its the best option if you're transitioning from iphone. Not that the S4 isn't a good choice also but as I held it in my hand, flash backs from using my old samsung glyde kicked in and at that point I wasn't ready to try their phones again. Till this day its the only phone I've ever thrown against the wall out of frustration. Hope this helps. 
The_Knight

• Total Posts : 36
Re:I need help in deciding what phone to get - Saturday, July 13, 2013 7:15 PM ( #5 )
If you care about how your phone looks grab the One if you care about gimmicky features (smart stay smart rotate etc,) grab the s4 and if you care about updates grab a Nexus 4 all these phones are snappy and have pretty much the same functions and apps
thebudgetgamer

• Total Posts : 6958
Re:I need help in deciding what phone to get - Saturday, July 13, 2013 10:39 PM ( #6 )
Best phone on the market.

Shawn-

• Total Posts : 74
Re:I need help in deciding what phone to get - Sunday, July 14, 2013 2:35 AM ( #7 )
 I hope sony is making a new xperia when my galaxy contract is up. I'm a really active person so any phone that is waterproof is awesome. Plus it has the biggest screen on the market if you like watching videos.

iamnsuperman

• Total Posts : 9
Re:I need help in deciding what phone to get - Sunday, July 14, 2013 4:45 AM ( #8 )
Thank you everyone for some feedback. One budget wise (sorry I forgot to mention) there isn't really one as such as each of those phones will be free on contract at roughly £30-£40 a month (I don't want anything higher than £40 per month. Maximum I could afford a month on a phone) with okay plans ( I am not getting sim free. Cannot afford that). The only question is the phone. I am planning to have this phone for a minimum of 2 years (and hopefully much longer) so this is a big decision. 
<message edited by iamnsuperman on Sunday, July 14, 2013 4:47 AM>
videogames

• Total Posts : 13
Re:I need help in deciding what phone to get - Sunday, July 14, 2013 1:04 PM ( #9 )
go for samsung android believe me.
B Man

• Total Posts : 8468
Re:I need help in deciding what phone to get - Sunday, July 14, 2013 7:09 PM ( #10 )
If you can I'd hold out for the Galaxy Note 3, which should be announced around September.  If not, I recommend an Android phone regardless.  I personally have the Galaxy S4.  If I could, I would have waited for the "active" version of it, simply because it's the first waterproof android phone (without a case).
MidnytRain

• Total Posts : 3468
Re:I need help in deciding what phone to get - Sunday, July 14, 2013 9:07 PM ( #11 )
B Man

If you can I'd hold out for the Galaxy Note 3, which should be announced around September.  If not, I recommend an Android phone regardless.  I personally have the Galaxy S4.  If I could, I would have waited for the "active" version of it, simply because it's the first waterproof android phone (without a case).

Don't those notes have massive sizes weirdly coupled with low resolutions?
Starbucks_Fan

• Total Posts : 86
Re:I need help in deciding what phone to get - Sunday, July 14, 2013 9:29 PM ( #12 )
I think the HTC One is on sale for $50 on Amazon
Tazz1992

• Total Posts : 59
Re:I need help in deciding what phone to get - Sunday, July 14, 2013 9:47 PM ( #13 )
No, i have the first Galaxy Note, the screen looks great i believe it is a Super Amoled screen. Yeah i get a lot of woah what is that a tablet? and how does that fit in your pocket? but honestly this phone after having it for almost a year works great its skinny and weighs less than an iphone while managing to fit an iphone on just the screen.

Galaxy Note I717 -  8/10

jorellpogi

• Total Posts : 2
Re:I need help in deciding what phone to get - Sunday, July 14, 2013 9:52 PM ( #14 )
iamnsuperman

I suggest the Sony XZ. Been using it for 5 months now. Waterproof and dustproof are truly beneficial.
B Man

• Total Posts : 8468
Re:I need help in deciding what phone to get - Sunday, July 14, 2013 9:58 PM ( #15 )
MidnytRain

B Man

Don't those notes have massive sizes weirdly coupled with low resolutions?

Well I can't speak for the previous ones but I'd imagine the upcoming one is going to be Samsungs next flagship phone so it probably won't be lacking in any department.  The massive size though wouldn't bother me though.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread