4k tv, not actually as far out of reach as everyone seems to think

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 21 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
fenome

• Total Posts : 17
  • Reward points : 0
4k tv, not actually as far out of reach as everyone seems to think - Monday, July 22, 2013 11:13 PM ( #1 )
It seems that Seiki Digital, albeit a brand I've never heard of before has a 39 inch 4k tv that'll only cost you $699.99. While that is still a decent chunk of change it's still not the $10,000-$20,000+ that was the norm until recently. Sony's will still run you $5,000-$6000 for 55 and 65inch sets respectively, and'll put you back a whopping $25,000 for an 84inch. I've never heard of Seike Digital before this, so I'm not sure about the quality of their sets, but if they can implement this tech so cheaply it kinda makes you wonder how much you're just paying for a name and lack of competition on the big name brands. Hopefully this'll cause some other companies to drop the price and generate a more realistic consumer-base for the next-gen tech.

You can find all this info for yourselves on Amazon. I was gonna post a link, but I'm not sure how this site feels about those and I didn't want to get this thread locked right away..
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

• Total Posts : 10816
Re:4k tv, not actually as far out of reach as everyone seems to think - Monday, July 22, 2013 11:29 PM ( #2 )
And what media do you view that's displayed in/supports 4K? What was that? None? Yeah thought so. Regardless if we have the means to display it, it's not viable in the slightest so it doesn't matter.
Formerly Known as Hellbringer. PSN: KenshinBATT0USAI 3DS: 2895-6892-5663 Steam: Vashlion
fenome

Re:4k tv, not actually as far out of reach as everyone seems to think - Monday, July 22, 2013 11:41 PM ( #3 )
The PS4 is going to be capable of Digital rental via digital on-demand, as well as buying it, plus 4k blu rays are also going to be available in the not as distant future as you seem to think, so yes it is relevant.

Thanks for that though! lol
wishingW3L

• Total Posts : 1091
Re:4k tv, not actually as far out of reach as everyone seems to think - Monday, July 22, 2013 11:41 PM ( #4 )
there are no games in 4K, no movies in 4k, no nothing in 4k. You'll be just wasting money on a TV to never even use its main feature and by the time there's 4k content there will be better and much more cheaper TVs to buy. At the end of the day 4k is a gimmick for a small 50" TV anyway. That's just another marketing point like with 3D and the 240-600-1000 HZ TVs with almost to no benefit at all.
<message edited by wishingW3L on Monday, July 22, 2013 11:43 PM>
fenome

Re:4k tv, not actually as far out of reach as everyone seems to think - Monday, July 22, 2013 11:46 PM ( #5 )
You can also use it as a regular HDTV and it even upscales for you. I'm still laughing at your comment too, by the way, I can practically see you sticking your tongue out. Wow..
fenome

Re:4k tv, not actually as far out of reach as everyone seems to think - Monday, July 22, 2013 11:50 PM ( #6 )
I have a 60 inch 3d tv and I don't see it as a gimmick, I enjoy it very much thank you. I like technology, I never said there were gonna be games on it I was just stating that it's out there for TV enthusiasts such as myself. You probably are right about there not being too much of a difference on such a small screen-size. I still wanna see what it looks like though
MidnytRain

• Total Posts : 3482
Re:4k tv, not actually as far out of reach as everyone seems to think - Tuesday, July 23, 2013 12:33 AM ( #7 )
wishingW3L

there are no games in 4K, no movies in 4k, no nothing in 4k. You'll be just wasting money on a TV to never even use its main feature and by the time there's 4k content there will be better and much more cheaper TVs to buy. At the end of the day 4k is a gimmick for a small 50" TV anyway. That's just another marketing point like with 3D and the 240-600-1000 HZ TVs with almost to no benefit at all.

Aren't multi-monitor set-ups basically 4k? I was under that impression since the math seems to work.
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

Re:4k tv, not actually as far out of reach as everyone seems to think - Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:08 AM ( #8 )
MidnytRain

wishingW3L

Aren't multi-monitor set-ups basically 4k? I was under that impression since the math seems to work.

Irrelevant, because rarely would a game even look good under 4k. We're talking ultra high settings in Crysis 3 just for it to make sense at all and at that resolution and settings you'd need 4 titans ($1000x4). That doesn't sound very viable.  There's just far too many variables, and no one is really looking into making a game that is natively 4k. Just think about it. I'm sure you've seen up-scaled games before, they don't look nice, hence the whole remastering thing we're beginning to see.

Fact of the matter is, it doesn't make sense to be an early adopter of anything really, it's a hardcore luxury thing with little to gain. Kinda like the Vita right now. Expensive and pointless, right now

@fenome

How many games support 3D that actually are worth your time, probably none, or are you still playing Motorstorm? LOL
Again, movies are not 4K either.
Here's a list of current 4k movies.
http://www.imdb.com/list/cTLrg_0aolM/
There are a few documentaries like TimeScapes, but overall, it's simply not worth it just yet.
Give it 5-6 years and maybe it'll be viable, for movies. As for games; I'd say 15 years maybe LOL
Formerly Known as Hellbringer. PSN: KenshinBATT0USAI 3DS: 2895-6892-5663 Steam: Vashlion
B Man

• Total Posts : 8468
Re:4k tv, not actually as far out of reach as everyone seems to think - Tuesday, July 23, 2013 4:05 AM ( #9 )
Isn't there already a thread on this? 
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

Re:4k tv, not actually as far out of reach as everyone seems to think - Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:25 PM ( #10 )
B Man

Isn't there already a thread on this? 

Yeah, made by Zoyos, I bet this guy and Zoyos are the same person.
fenome

Re:4k tv, not actually as far out of reach as everyone seems to think - Tuesday, July 23, 2013 3:25 PM ( #11 )

@ B Man

Oops, didn't realize that. I tried to see if there was, but overlooked it somehow. Wish I would've seen the other one, otherwise I wouldn't even have bothered wasting the post. All it's gotten on this site is criticism, I just thought some early tech adopters would like to know, that's all. Not everybody out there is so critical of it as people are on this site...

@Vashlion

Nope, I'm Fenome, that's it. I don't see the point of having two accounts with two seperate identities. You're quick to hop to conclusions though aren't you?
Is that how you become a "Super Member" on this site, by just jumping onto threads and bashing people and jumping to conclusions?
Glad I'm still considered a "New Member" since 2010, just because I just don't spam posts. lol

<message edited by fenome on Tuesday, July 23, 2013 3:27 PM>
TheNocturnus

• Total Posts : 4403
Re:4k tv, not actually as far out of reach as everyone seems to think - Tuesday, July 23, 2013 4:11 PM ( #12 )
Damn, I guess I should sell my 50" 1080p LED I just purchased. 

Nah... just kidding.

My PSN ID is: xNocturnus    XBL Tag is: xX Nocturnus Xx
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

Re:4k tv, not actually as far out of reach as everyone seems to think - Tuesday, July 23, 2013 4:16 PM ( #13 )
fenome

@ B Man

Oops, didn't realize that. I tried to see if there was, but overlooked it somehow. Wish I would've seen the other one, otherwise I wouldn't even have bothered wasting the post. All it's gotten on this site is criticism, I just thought some early tech adopters would like to know, that's all. Not everybody out there is so critical of it as people are on this site...

@Vashlion

Nope, I'm Fenome, that's it. I don't see the point of having two accounts with two seperate identities. You're quick to hop to conclusions though aren't you?
Is that how you become a "Super Member" on this site, by just jumping onto threads and bashing people and jumping to conclusions?
Glad I'm still considered a "New Member" since 2010, just because I just don't spam posts. lol

You care about member status...? LOL

I'm not bashing you, the point of threads is to express your viewpoints. If you want to spend $10,000+ on a tv, go ahead. I'm gonna wait a few years and spend a couple of hundred instead.
SmokeyMcBear

• Total Posts : 14748
Re:4k tv, not actually as far out of reach as everyone seems to think - Tuesday, July 23, 2013 4:28 PM ( #14 )
errr... but thats his whole point, is that there is a 4k tv out there for a couple of hundred dollars.. do people even read posts before commenting on them? sheesh. here is a review of a seiko tv.. not very good. http://reviews.cnet.com/f...5-6482_7-35757100.html

All work and no play.. makes odion go something something
SmokeyMcBear

• Total Posts : 14748
Re:4k tv, not actually as far out of reach as everyone seems to think - Tuesday, July 23, 2013 4:32 PM ( #15 )
here is another view of 4k tv's http://reviews.cnet.com/8...-tvs-are-stupid-still/

All work and no play.. makes odion go something something
Starbucks_Fan

• Total Posts : 86
Re:4k tv, not actually as far out of reach as everyone seems to think - Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:06 PM ( #16 )
The reviews for the Seiki TV are s***. Only reason to buy these right now are for bragging rights. I'd like to see these become popular in the future but that will take many years.
fenome

Re:4k tv, not actually as far out of reach as everyone seems to think - Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:18 PM ( #17 )
@Vashlion
No, I don't actually care about statuses, I just noticed that it said I was a new member over there and was like "What the heck" lol

I haven't been on these forums in a long time, so I wasn't trying to get all bent outta shape, I just thought some people might like to know, I wasn't expecting to get jumped on so quick. Next time I'll have my Jedi ready :D

And yeah, the point of this was to show that not ALL of them are huge sums of money. You can pick one up for under a grand, and while it might suck and be totally redundant it is out there. That means that other companies prices will start coming down soon too, which also means that the average HDTVs will most likely also get cheaper in the process. I'm thinking about upgrading my 60 inch to a 70inch soon, and while I'm not on the market for a 4k tv right now, hopefully this means that what I'm looking for also won't break the bank.

B Man

• Total Posts : 8468
Re:4k tv, not actually as far out of reach as everyone seems to think - Tuesday, July 23, 2013 6:04 PM ( #18 )
Personally I don't think one bit that 4k TVs are the next big thing.  We went from CRT TVs to flat screen HD TVs relatively quickly.  This is not the next transition.  This is the TV version of betamax.  Skip this fad and wait for the true successor to HDTV.  Oh, same goes for those stupid curved TVs.  Skip those as well.

/thread.
TheNocturnus

• Total Posts : 4403
Re:4k tv, not actually as far out of reach as everyone seems to think - Tuesday, July 23, 2013 7:27 PM ( #19 )
Holograms are the future.

My PSN ID is: xNocturnus    XBL Tag is: xX Nocturnus Xx
ZoyosJD

• Total Posts : 456
Re:4k tv, not actually as far out of reach as everyone seems to think - Tuesday, July 23, 2013 8:39 PM ( #20 )
Nope. Not me. The resolution and color gamut are great, but the contrast, response time, and max framerate are indeed sad. The only people who should really be looking into these now are graphic artists.:D Asus has a 4k 37in or so monitor without the framerate limit, but the price is ~$4000, and the response time, and contrast are similarly comparable. Playing today's games at 4k is just as pointless as claiming that you are a PC gamer so you can enjoy yesterdays games at todays resolution. Hypocricy much. As far as gaming goes, it's already viable, you just have to pay or compromise.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 21 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread