Troll/abuse Report Thread

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 31 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
Septic

• Total Posts : 93
  • Reward points : 0
Troll/abuse Report Thread - Tuesday, July 30, 2013 8:11 AM ( #1 )
ey guys,

We all know N4G has a very vocal community. The problem with that is, things can get heated up and you get a fair few trolls being released into the community from under their bridges. I think its time we had a thread that brings to the attention of the mods, instances where people have trolled, or been abusive and made personal attacks etc. The mods on here clearly have an uphill task considering the sheer number of articles and comments that are submitted on a daily basis. 

This way, you can make it easier for mods to take notice of people contravening the rules and generally souring the community.

In order to report the contravention effectively, I think what users should do on here is:

1) Take a screenshot of the comment

2) Provide a direct link to the comment made 

3) In the case of repeated contraventions, take multiple screenshots and provide links for all the comments. Sometimes, trollish behaviour and spam can only be discerned through someone's repeated posts. 

4) Don't forget to report comments in the main page. This is supposed to be an aide to mods to help them out in anything they have missed not something to replace the system of reporting trolling/offensive comments.

As an example:

Now in the picture above, we actually have three troll posts from two different people (and two people known to troll)

The direct link is here:
http://n4g.com/news/1321953/we-are-looking-into-lack-of-headset-in-xbox-one-box-says-lead-planner/pen 

Also, sometimes you'll get users who spam their troll comments:

Now all mods have to do is go on there and unleash the troll hammer.

If this picks up pace, we could ensure more accountability and go a long way in curbing trolling behaviour. The reporting system simply doesn't work. I have a ticket against an unwarranted personal attack that is 39 days old. Nothing has been done at all.

This way, we make it easier for the mods and it will also keep us in line to make sure we aren't being hypocritical in reporting others when we end up doing the same. Also, forum users can critique these reports' so to speak so we don't get instances where someone with an agenda goes around reporting what he/she thinks is trolling when others don't. Such a measure is long overdue in my opinion and will go a long way to deter potential trolls.

<message edited by Septic on Thursday, August 01, 2013 3:51 PM>
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

• Total Posts : 10792
Re:Troll/abuse Report Thread - Tuesday, July 30, 2013 9:13 AM ( #2 )
Understand the mainpage is a battlefield where every soldier decided to wear the exact same colour. 
There are only two solutions to this problem, you either look at it and slowly back away without anyone noticing; or

You send a nuke there and massacre everyone.

Obviously, no one is going to nuke the main page, so only option A is left. Look at it and walk away. 
With a site of this many users it's impossible to actually moderate the main page effectively. Which is why conversations and the community truly prospers here on the forums.
Formerly Known as Hellbringer. PSN: KenshinBATT0USAI 3DS: 2895-6892-5663 Steam: Vashlion
TheMART

• Total Posts : 3356
Re:Troll/abuse Report Thread - Tuesday, July 30, 2013 9:17 AM ( #3 )
Eh... Isn't that what the 'report' button is for on the frontpage, to get it under the attention of mods? 

This won't change anything really. It is the same system, but then even more complicated if the thread gets filled. Then it is even just what a user that post stuff inhere will be done, and lots more will be left out there.

What N4G should do, is bring back the open zone which doesn't need as much moderation, if you chose to be there take the heat or get to the moderated zone...
<message edited by TheMART on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 9:20 AM>

wishingW3L

• Total Posts : 1091
Re:Troll/abuse Report Thread - Tuesday, July 30, 2013 9:39 AM ( #4 )
mods here are random. They might mod you or they might not... It all depends on their mood, the day of the week and if the stars are aligned in the correct way but the thing is that, you'll never know. You could get banned 1 day and not even know why and no matter how many times you try to contact them about the ban they will NEVER respond any messages.

Most of the users of this site are so out of control, rabid and mindless yet most of the bans are often because of very silly stuff, usually because a mod has a beef with someone.
ColdFeet

• Total Posts : 65
Re:Troll/abuse Report Thread - Tuesday, July 30, 2013 9:54 AM ( #5 )
Pick your battles brother
MidnytRain

• Total Posts : 3378
Re:Troll/abuse Report Thread - Tuesday, July 30, 2013 9:54 AM ( #6 )
As soon as I saw the title of this thread I immediately clicked to look at the OP's post count. 

Yup.
TheNocturnus

• Total Posts : 4400
Re:Troll/abuse Report Thread - Tuesday, July 30, 2013 10:07 AM ( #7 )
MidnytRain

As soon as I saw the title of this thread I immediately clicked to look at the OP's post count. 

Yup.

I did the same thing.

My PSN ID is: xNocturnus    XBL Tag is: xX Nocturnus Xx
Septic

Re:Troll/abuse Report Thread - Tuesday, July 30, 2013 10:09 AM ( #8 )
MidnytRain

Yup.

You mean my post count on the forum itself or the main site? I don't get it. What bearing does either one have on this thread?

TheMART

This won't change anything really. It is the same system, but then even more complicated if the thread gets filled. Then it is even just what a user that post stuff inhere will be done, and lots more will be left out there. 

I don't see that happening. It just brings everything to light and makes it easier for a mod to moderate that is all. It isn't supposed to replace their 'choice' to peruse the main site. 

Lets see how this goes. I reckon it will work very well.
<message edited by Septic on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 10:13 AM>
Ducky

• Total Posts : 2333
Re:Troll/abuse Report Thread - Tuesday, July 30, 2013 11:38 AM ( #9 )
It'd be like trying to put out a fire with a squirt gun.

I have a better solution: Make everyone a mod.
DragonPs4

• Total Posts : 530
Re:Troll/abuse Report Thread - Tuesday, July 30, 2013 11:54 AM ( #10 )
TheNocturnus

MidnytRain

Yup.

I did the same thing.

why would that matter?
coolbeans

• Total Posts : 3213
Re:Troll/abuse Report Thread - Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:08 PM ( #11 )
Ducky

It'd be like trying to put out a fire with a squirt gun.

I have a better solution: Make everyone a mod.

I think "another squirt gun" would be more appropriate.  We already have a few ways of going about handing out - bubble votes + punishment:

-going into articles and filtering ones we see (which would take a crazy amount of time)
-flagged comments, which gets rather bloated due to annoying spammers
-reported user (I'll admit I need to check that more often)

OP already helped thus far so it's fine by me (I think the rest of the team might like it too).  :)

Septic

Re:Troll/abuse Report Thread - Wednesday, July 31, 2013 6:54 AM ( #12 )
Ah cheers for the vote of confidence coolbeans. I definitely think this will pay off. 
Septic

Re:Troll/abuse Report Thread - Thursday, August 01, 2013 9:06 AM ( #13 )
TheNocturnus

• Total Posts : 4400
Re:Troll/abuse Report Thread - Thursday, August 01, 2013 9:14 AM ( #14 )
Snitches get stitches.

My PSN ID is: xNocturnus    XBL Tag is: xX Nocturnus Xx
Septic

Re:Troll/abuse Report Thread - Thursday, August 01, 2013 9:30 AM ( #15 )
TheNocturnus

Snitches get stitches.

Lmao! That's true. But aint no keyboard warrior gonna cut my skin.
MidnytRain

• Total Posts : 3378
Re:Troll/abuse Report Thread - Thursday, August 01, 2013 10:19 AM ( #16 )
DragonPs4

TheNocturnus

MidnytRain

Yup.

I did the same thing.

why would that matter?

It really doesn't, but it's often easy to tell the kinds of threads relatively new posters start, lol. One kind being threads that attempt to remedy problems the site has in some way. Most posters who've been here a while don't bother because they know it doesn't work.
SilentNegotiator

• Total Posts : 33
Re:Troll/abuse Report Thread - Thursday, August 01, 2013 1:53 PM ( #17 )
  You're mad that he said Xbox One is doing a lot of backpeddling and that it might be losing its identity? How petty of you. As for repeating his comment, you have to admit that there tends to be a bunch of articles with the exact same topic and little deviation. There's nothing wrong with wanting your opinion heard in both. Just keep your reports in the main page and stop trying to ostracize users over your petty Xbox One defending. If a user is REALLY trolling two comments in, they're taken care of 99% of the time.
Cat

• Total Posts : 14000
Re:Troll/abuse Report Thread - Thursday, August 01, 2013 2:26 PM ( #18 )
OP, this thread could be helpful as an addition, but I want to encourage users to continue to report comments through the mainpage as that's what we see first. This is another area to check, but keeping tabs on reported comments (particularly those reported as "Offensive") is high priority. 
DaThreats

• Total Posts : 1596
Re:Troll/abuse Report Thread - Thursday, August 01, 2013 2:32 PM ( #19 )
But there is no open zone!

We need them for the lolz

Bring back open zone!
imagine all the comedy and hits further we would of had.

Septic

Re:Troll/abuse Report Thread - Thursday, August 01, 2013 3:53 PM ( #20 )
Cat

OP, this thread could be helpful as an addition, but I want to encourage users to continue to report comments through the mainpage as that's what we see first. This is another area to check, but keeping tabs on reported comments (particularly those reported as "Offensive") is high priority. 

Fair point. I've added to my first post to remind others that this thread is just an addition to the system of reporting that exists.

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 31 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread