How Good really is the OUYA hardware? look in side to see

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 23 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
joeorc

• Total Posts : 211
  • Reward points : 0
How Good really is the OUYA hardware? look in side to see - Tuesday, July 30, 2013 11:11 AM ( #1 )
The OUYA contains a: NVIDIA Tegra 3 T33 RISC Multi-core Application Processor contains 4 Arm Cortex A9's with each core running @ upto 1.6 Ghz. with also a 5th Arm Cortex A9 running @ 500 Mhz The OUYA's GPU: NVIDIA GeForce ULP GPU Tegra 3 CLOCK UPTO 520 MHz they are: 4x Cortex-A9 Harvard Superscalar primary core, 1x 500MHz Cortex-A9 Harvard Superscalar companion core, 32KB I-cache + 32KB D-cache per core, 1MB L2 cache in total, 32-bit LP-DDR2-1066 and DDR3-L-1500 SD RAM interface, ARM NEON instruction set, Enhanced NAND Flash support, High Definition Audio Video Processor, integrated 12-core NVIDIA GeForce ULP GPU, NTSC/PAL TV output, HDMI 1.4a, OpenGL ES, OpenVG 1.1, EGL 1.4, 3D Stereo Sound, 32MP camera support, 5MP secondary camera support.

http://pdadb.net/index.ph...t&c=nvidia_tegra_3_t33 

So How good is it really? well first find a device to put it up against. 

the PSVita is a good match the result-

CPU near even with the Tegra 3 T33 having a slight edge OVER THE PSVita's. 

The GPU's the PSVita has the better GPU , though the OUYA's GPU is still no a slouch. The PSVita's GPU is just more robust. Both have the hardware capable of playing any and every single game or Application that you could find on the google Playstore or Apple iOS App store if developer's programmed for both of these systems, the Hardware in both is just that capable.

Ram- OUYA 1 GB that's is shared between the CPU/GPU

Ram- PSVita has 512 MB for system, but 128 MB of Video Ram dedicated to the GPU.

BOTH have wifi rated N bluetooth- PSVita Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR (A2DP/AVRCP/HSP

bluetooth- OUYA AW-NH660 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth 4.0 module, based on Broadcom BCM4330

to get a complete break down:

PSVita http://us.playstation.com/psvita/tech-specs/ http://www.ifixit.com/Tea...n+Vita+Teardown/7872/1 

OUYA https://www.dropbox.com/s...heet%20July%202013.pdf http://www.ifixit.com/Tea...own/14224/1?singlePage 

Aside from the GPU performance both systems are pretty in line with each other. Though between the two the PSVita has the edge in Graphics but the OUYA has the edge in CPU and Power Requirements, because it's not using its Chipset as strictly a Mobile game device. The PSVita does not have the Advantage to account for a constant power supply from a wall socket for the majority of the time, unlike the OUYA which can increase chip power consumption due to not really requireing a Need to stay on Battery Power.

<message edited by joeorc on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 11:16 AM>
Tewi-Inaba

• Total Posts : 2216
Re:How Good really is the OUYA hardware? look in side to see - Tuesday, July 30, 2013 11:17 AM ( #2 )
Or you can buy a 3DS and play games right this moment

Friend Code:1650-0941-8045
joeorc

Re:How Good really is the OUYA hardware? look in side to see - Tuesday, July 30, 2013 11:21 AM ( #3 )
Tewi-Inaba

Nothing wrong with the 3DS great system, and very fun games but vs both the OUYA and the PSVita, the 3DS "HARDWARE WISE" is not in the same level of performance, though while it does not have the Highest end performace the 3DS is quite fun. you do not have to have the highest performance to have fun.
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

• Total Posts : 10857
Re:How Good really is the OUYA hardware? look in side to see - Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:05 PM ( #4 )
joeorc

Tewi-Inaba

Nothing wrong with the 3DS great system, and very fun games but vs both the OUYA and the PSVita, the 3DS "HARDWARE WISE" is not in the same level of performance, though while it does not have the Highest end performace the 3DS is quite fun. you do not have to have the highest performance to have fun.

Yet somehow the quality of releases FAR EXCEEDS both the Vita and OUYA.   I'd take a 3ds over vita any day. I'd take ass-rape over Ouya any day as well.
Formerly Known as Hellbringer. PSN: KenshinBATT0USAI 3DS: 2895-6892-5663 Steam: Vashlion
joeorc

Re:How Good really is the OUYA hardware? look in side to see - Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:10 PM ( #5 )
Vashlion

joeorc

Tewi-Inaba

Yet somehow the quality of releases FAR EXCEEDS both the Vita and OUYA.   I'd take a 3ds over vita any day. I'd take ass-rape over Ouya any day as well.

"Yet somehow the quality of releases FAR EXCEEDS both the Vita and OUYA"

if you have not played on the OUYA and the PSVita extensively like you have implied like you have on the 3DS how do you know what the software is like on the OUYA or the PSVita?

Take an @ss rape over a OUYA; wow you really are willing to take that..over trying the OUYA? LMAO

<message edited by joeorc on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:14 PM>
MiloGarret

• Total Posts : 1366
Re:How Good really is the OUYA hardware? look in side to see - Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:39 PM ( #6 )
Vashlion

LOL. Did not see that coming.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.
TheMART

• Total Posts : 3356
Re:How Good really is the OUYA hardware? look in side to see - Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:39 PM ( #7 )
Ouya is a homeconsole and needs a TV, PSVita is a portable...

Why are you even comparing this? It is like trying to compare the future phones that have PS3 like power, but still compare it to the PS3 and its games. 

It is useless...

And PSVita > 3DS any day. PSVita has games, although Nintendo fans like to believe it hasn't. Insecure or something I guess. Or just bitter because WiiU has no games... Aside of that, it is the only handheld giving a fully portable online experience, with a new platformer IP Tearaway coming up and Killzone around the corner... Ditch that Ouya. Although, Ouya can work fine with a native made XBMC for it > an AppleTV. For 99 USD/Euro that can be a fine buy. Then again, buy a tablet that has quad core and HDMI out and you got the same functionality, heck even more because you can take it with you...

Kenshin_BATT0USAI

Re:How Good really is the OUYA hardware? look in side to see - Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:59 PM ( #8 )
joeorc

Vashlion

joeorc

Tewi-Inaba

"Yet somehow the quality of releases FAR EXCEEDS both the Vita and OUYA"

if you have not played on the OUYA and the PSVita extensively like you have implied like you have on the 3DS how do you know what the software is like on the OUYA or the PSVita?

Take an @ss rape over a OUYA; wow you really are willing to take that..over trying the OUYA? LMAO

I'm jesting with the ass rape, my point was Ouya is a very uninteresting purchase even at $100.  

PS Vita, maybe I'll get one later down the line, least I'm not saying it's dead like most people. Just it's not extremely appealing right now.
Formerly Known as Hellbringer. PSN: KenshinBATT0USAI 3DS: 2895-6892-5663 Steam: Vashlion
joeorc

Re:How Good really is the OUYA hardware? look in side to see - Tuesday, July 30, 2013 1:07 PM ( #9 )
TheMART

Ouya is a homeconsole and needs a TV, PSVita is a portable...

Why are you even comparing this? It is like trying to compare the future phones that have PS3 like power, but still compare it to the PS3 and its games. 

It is useless...

And PSVita > 3DS any day. PSVita has games, although Nintendo fans like to believe it hasn't. Insecure or something I guess. Or just bitter because WiiU has no games... Aside of that, it is the only handheld giving a fully portable online experience, with a new platformer IP Tearaway coming up and Killzone around the corner... Ditch that Ouya. Although, Ouya can work fine with a native made XBMC for it > an AppleTV. For 99 USD/Euro that can be a fine buy. Then again, buy a tablet that has quad core and HDMI out and you got the same functionality, heck even more because you can take it with you...

It is not really useless, its to show the general level of performance of the OUYA, and is if anyone else was interested in How the OUYA's performance is and How good the system is, maybe would like to know the performance of the machine like any other Game console.

Despite Quite a bit of Misconceptions about the OUYA going around, the time i have had with the system has shown to be quite the viable and robust system that it is.

AS for  Tablet unless its a new one released in the past 2 or 3 months with a Tegra 4 or a Snapdragon S4 pro, or Plus the Tablet in question it would not be able to out do the OUYA, not Quite you see the OUYA's Hardware performance is not weak by any Mobile chip standards. because like i pointed out the OUYA like the PSVita has Quad Core Cortex A9's but also a 5th Cortex A9 core that Runs @ 520 MHz, not to mention the GPU is running @ 500 MHz, in the OUYA.

Most of the Tablet's today, could not keep up to the OUYA's Performance for the simple reason,The OUYA  Like the PSVita its designed for Game's 1st and front an center. the Tablets Main priority is power consumption and reduction of said heat and power. OUYA has no real such Requirement other than to keep the system stable with what cooling it need's to stay stable. which it does.

<message edited by joeorc on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 1:21 PM>
joeorc

Re:How Good really is the OUYA hardware? look in side to see - Tuesday, July 30, 2013 1:15 PM ( #10 )
Vashlion

I'm jesting with the ass rape, my point was Ouya is a very uninteresting purchase even at $100.  

PS Vita, maybe I'll get one later down the line, least I'm not saying it's dead like most people. Just it's not extremely appealing right now.

well that's Good. lmao but 

"Ouya is a very uninteresting purchase even at $100"

Why would you say that?, the reason being you may not know this about the OUYA, it is the only Console that right now you can  do this with it right now, no rooting needed :

http://www.hunterdavis.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/20130608_110801.jpg

Hook up a multi game cart [Retrode] upto the OUYA, and you will have multiple cart Legacy system Game player right out the gate.  

http://www.retrode.org/

Add in the retrode module's 

https://www.retrode.com/plug-in-adapters/

Video: Retrode + Ouya + N64 Controller and Cartridge = Right Out of The Box Fun 

http://www.hunterdavis.com/2013/06/08/video-retrode-ouya-n64-controller-and-cartridge-right-out-of-the-box-fun/

now to hook up all those game consoles, under one tv would not only take more power than one OUYA running, but also take a hell of a lot of space more than the OUYA + this Multi-cart adapter! 

http://www.retrocollect.com/News/using-the-ouya-a-retrode-as-a-retro-gaming-console.html

<message edited by joeorc on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 1:33 PM>
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

Re:How Good really is the OUYA hardware? look in side to see - Tuesday, July 30, 2013 1:56 PM ( #11 )
I don't really get the point of that. Can't I just use my N64 to play n64 games? or an emulator on my pc?
TheMART

Re:How Good really is the OUYA hardware? look in side to see - Wednesday, July 31, 2013 3:43 AM ( #12 )
Dude, the Ouya has a Tegra 3 on board. There are many tablets with Tegra 3 and 1GB of RAM. It is just tablet hardware without the tablet screen attached, that is all. That is why it is 100 bucks too instead of a tablet that will cost one 300 to 400. They took out some stuff and boxed it to connect it to a TV.

That emulation... I do it on my CFW PSP, my softmodded Wii (that actually has a controller that fits all Nintendo games, and can connect a Gamecube controller to the Wii if I want), on a PC or whatever.

Sure, those that have to chose between AppleTV and Ouya might want to get the android one, to have those emulators on top.

For 100 bucks, it can do XBMC and emulators for the most. But again, a good tablet with HDMI out can too and has more use than a box that needs to be connected to a TV. You can bluetooth connect Sony/Nintendo (DS3, Wiimote) to the tablet for the emulators too for the better experience.

Heck, if you get the Samsung S4 with the 8 core CPU (not sold everywhere in the world due to shortages in supply of that chip, some regions have a quad core CPU) smartphone with HDMI out, it beats that Ouya.

But sure, it's price is just 100 bucks. And you act like rooting is hard or something... On pretty much every Android device I rooted so easy. So no, hardly interesting the Ouya, for a limited audience.

ichimaru

• Total Posts : 2572
Re:How Good really is the OUYA hardware? look in side to see - Wednesday, July 31, 2013 9:19 AM ( #13 )

Vashlion
 I'd take ass-rape over Ouya any day as well
  there's passionate fanboy and there's WTF  did I just read
  O Jerusalem, wash thine heart from wickedness, that thou mayest be saved. How long shall thy vain thoughts lodge within thee?- Jeremiah 4:14 False tears bring pai
joeorc

Re:How Good really is the OUYA hardware? look in side to see - Wednesday, July 31, 2013 9:24 AM ( #14 )
TheMART

Dude, the Ouya has a Tegra 3 on board. There are many tablets with Tegra 3 and 1GB of RAM. It is just tablet hardware without the tablet screen attached, that is all. That is why it is 100 bucks too instead of a tablet that will cost one 300 to 400. They took out some stuff and boxed it to connect it to a TV.

That emulation... I do it on my CFW PSP, my softmodded Wii (that actually has a controller that fits all Nintendo games, and can connect a Gamecube controller to the Wii if I want), on a PC or whatever.

Sure, those that have to chose between AppleTV and Ouya might want to get the android one, to have those emulators on top.

For 100 bucks, it can do XBMC and emulators for the most. But again, a good tablet with HDMI out can too and has more use than a box that needs to be connected to a TV. You can bluetooth connect Sony/Nintendo (DS3, Wiimote) to the tablet for the emulators too for the better experience.

Heck, if you get the Samsung S4 with the 8 core CPU (not sold everywhere in the world due to shortages in supply of that chip, some regions have a quad core CPU) smartphone with HDMI out, it beats that Ouya.

But sure, it's price is just 100 bucks. And you act like rooting is hard or something... On pretty much every Android device I rooted so easy. So no, hardly interesting the Ouya, for a limited audience.

Not all Tegra 3' CHIPSETS ARE THE SAME!

"It is just tablet hardware without the tablet screen attached, that is all"

like all Lap top hardware is not the same as every laptop or PC.

for instance most of the Tablets as you stated contain the Tegra 3 T30, but what many do not know is the Tegra 3 in the OUYA is the T33!

What you say is true with pretty much any computing device, you can find devices that can perform the same functions or allow you to do thing's that other devices can do. i mean the PS3 plays games so does the xbox360 but that does not mean they are the same gaming experience!

the same with the OUYA and other Tablets. I have one, i also have other Tablets and smartphone's to see how each performs to each other. what you stated is true is just with anything

what makes the OUYA different than just other devices is what type of experience you have with the device!

Im getting the feeling many in this thread have not tried or own a OUYA. I have An OUYA and i unlike many in this thread have used and played games on the OUYA.

I get the feeling most of the people in this thread are set to try to sway people from buying an OUYA without even on the onset to try out the device or even for that matter have no interest in trying one in the first place , but feel the need to sway other's to do the same. Im only wondering why such drive to a device they have yet to try or play?

I mean, this is the very same outcry about people going into threads and trying to say such and such platform sucks or "no you do not want that one" time and time again i have seen that but, it seems that type of attitude toward the OUYA is excused by many gamer's, why is that?

I  am just pointing out when people do this very same to one of the big three platform creators its trolling, but right now if its the OUYA its ok?

Im not saying outright you are @TheMART  and other's, im just getting the feeling all the people coming into this all feel that its Open season on any game console that is not made by the big three . Now if you have had played the system for some time and used the system, that would be somthing, but it seems to me none of the people in this very thread other than me have!
<message edited by joeorc on Wednesday, July 31, 2013 9:27 AM>
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

Re:How Good really is the OUYA hardware? look in side to see - Wednesday, July 31, 2013 9:27 AM ( #15 )
ichimaru

Vashlion
 I'd take ass-rape over Ouya any day as well
  there's passionate fanboy and there's WTF  did I just read

I don't really consider myself a fanboy. xbox one doesn't interest me.  I make fun of the Wii U fairly frequently, but I love the 3DS. As for Sony, I also insult the Vita often, but I preordered a PS4. I literally have zero allegiance with everything.
joeorc

Re:How Good really is the OUYA hardware? look in side to see - Wednesday, July 31, 2013 9:38 AM ( #16 )
Vashlion

I don't really get the point of that. Can't I just use my N64 to play n64 games? or an emulator on my pc?

example:

https://www.retrode.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/adapters8-r2.png

one cart reader = many other "Hardware Cart reading Lagacy game console's " under one single game console instead of multiple needed. unlike just software this is also the orig. Hardware cart with software able to read the cart   not just software alone. yes you could also hook this upto the PC but you can Hook this upto the OUYA also. this allows the OUYA to read all those legacy game carts and play those games from the cart not just from emulation only!

yes you can , just use your N64 carts to play on your N64, but now so can the OUYA!

but not just Nintendo, but sega carts also all from the same cart reader! 

its like a game cart reader for the OUYA that can read more than just one type of legacy game cart. but you do not need multiple legacy cart machines hooked up at the same time, yes you could use the emulation on the PC, but which is better playing from the orig. cart or just software emulation alone on?

yes you could just use a legacy game machine hooked up also , but  like i said they all take up space and more power to run than just an OUYA with the game cart reader that run's multiple legacy cart reader's. It is like when compact flash reader's for the PC were in their infancy, along with SD card flash reader's you needed more reader's to hook upto the PC to read each and every flash card type. now with Multi-flash card reader's replaced those with one card reader. 

<message edited by joeorc on Wednesday, July 31, 2013 9:47 AM>
TheMART

Re:How Good really is the OUYA hardware? look in side to see - Wednesday, July 31, 2013 10:30 AM ( #17 )
Are you selling Ouya's or something?

Really, no one cares if it is a Tegra 3 T30 or T33... It can do 1.7Ghz per core instead of 1.4Ghz. That ain't shockingly different now is it... 

Second, I have a dual core tablet that runs android and I bought an iCade controller for the real retro gaming with Mame4Droid.

That > the Ouya IMO...

The PS3 and 360 comparison is way off IMO as they both got their major exclusives. I can't play The Last of Us on a 360, can't play Gears of War on the PS3 either.

Heck I might even buy an Ouya if I'd just wanted XBMC on some TV in my house that isn't the living room, or doesn't have a console hooked up to it. But just saying, it isn't a console that competes with the big 3 in anyway. If anything, it competes with tablets in its offering.

joeorc

Re:How Good really is the OUYA hardware? look in side to see - Wednesday, July 31, 2013 11:36 AM ( #18 )
TheMART

Are you selling Ouya's or something?

Really, no one cares if it is a Tegra 3 T30 or T33... It can do 1.7Ghz per core instead of 1.4Ghz. That ain't shockingly different now is it... 

Second, I have a dual core tablet that runs android and I bought an iCade controller for the real retro gaming with Mame4Droid.

That > the Ouya IMO...

The PS3 and 360 comparison is way off IMO as they both got their major exclusives. I can't play The Last of Us on a 360, can't play Gears of War on the PS3 either.

Heck I might even buy an Ouya if I'd just wanted XBMC on some TV in my house that isn't the living room, or doesn't have a console hooked up to it. But just saying, it isn't a console that competes with the big 3 in anyway. If anything, it competes with tablets in its offering.

no im not selling it , im simply pointing out the hardware level of performance, also the gpu in the OUYA  is running @520 MHz very few Tablets GPU clock is that for sustained let alone that high of a clock ,and let alone running on battery power. you are it seem's trying to put the OUYA as just a tablet spec'ed system without a screen , and that is just not the case. that would be like saying the PS4 AND THE XBOXONE ARE JUST LAPTOP'S without laptop screens.

"The PS3 and 360 comparison is way off IMO as they both got their major exclusives. I can't play The Last of Us on a 360, can't play Gears of War on the PS3 either. "

And you do not think OUYA will not have Major exclusives to its platform? I mean what is a major exclusive anyway?, you have to start somewhere no game is a major exclusive franchise right out the gate, they all have to start somewhere.

its not meant to compete with the big three, that was not its goal, That's what many i think in this thread are missing, it was made as a grassroots open games console platform. for development of games the way the game console market really started. its about making the platform  like it was before all the hoops, and all the red tape you have to go through now just to get your game on a living room TV without needing to sell your body parts to pay for it all. 

Just because its not made by the Big three does not mean, that its not just as viable of a platform to game on or make games for than the big three system maker's. Remember you have to start somewhere, its not like the OUYA is made by people with no experience in this part of the market.

As a matter of fact one of the people with very extensive background in this part of the market is none other than

http://www.linkedin.com/in/edfries

Co-founder of the Xbox Project 
Built Microsoft Game Studios 
18 year Microsoft Employee

Advisor OUYA 

In my opinion , ignoring this man's contribution, or extensive contact's or experience in getting software for your platform cannot or should not be ignored. 
<message edited by joeorc on Wednesday, July 31, 2013 11:38 AM>
TheMART

Re:How Good really is the OUYA hardware? look in side to see - Wednesday, July 31, 2013 11:59 AM ( #19 )
Damn dude, slow down please. Even though you say you aren't selling them, you sure type like you are selling them.

Again, no one cares if it is a Tegra T30 or T33, like just said, the difference is 1.4Ghz cores or 1.7Ghz. Won't make a difference. Mhz of a GPU doesn't mean everything too. If you want the best specs, don't go for an android device, not even the Ouya, buy a PC, or PS4 or Xbone. And again, you are making the comparison with a laptop and PS4/Xbone... The laptop isn't getting the PS4/Xbone exclusives.

The Ouya is on the ANDROID PLAY STORE, so basically any other android device that has those specs will run the Android play store games... So yes, the Ouya basically is tablet hardware without the touchscreen.

No the Ouya won't get major exclusive android games really. Those same games will be sold for the tablets and other android based devices too (NVidia Shield anyone?). Because you know... Android is a platform where games are sold over multiple devices. And no, Ouya isn't such a big selling device that will get its own separate Android section in the store. It wouldn't be logical for gamedevelopers to do so.

If someone wants to game in the living room TV without the need to sell your body parts... One buys a Wii for under 100 bucks nowadays. Or a 360. And soonish when next gen hits, both PS3 and 360 will drop anywhere between 100 and 200 bucks. Those > the Ouya alternative for AppleTV....

I don't care who is the advisor for OUya. The hardware is what tablets got basically, it is connected to a TV because it doesn't have its own screen, period. Whatever you tell about what you can do with it, that is what it is.

Kenshin_BATT0USAI

Re:How Good really is the OUYA hardware? look in side to see - Wednesday, July 31, 2013 12:06 PM ( #20 )
The way I look at it. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what the specs are, persistent hardware and software sales are what make a platform. If the Ouya can't achieve that then...well, like one of the guys who worked on Ouya said "(If the Ouya fails) Nothing else matters"

The same applies to the Wii U and any other piece of hardware.
Yes, you could say the Wii was the exception, but really it wasn't because it neither had software sales nor persistent hardware sales past the 2nd year really.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 23 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread