Anyone know anything about fonts regarding copyrights?

SilentNegotiator

• Total Posts : 33
  • Reward points : 0
Anyone know anything about fonts regarding copyrights? - Thursday, August 01, 2013 2:08 PM ( #1 )
 I'm working on a project and I don't want to use fonts if they're copyrighted. Like the fonts in word...are any of those copyrighted? (yes I googled it; I didn't get any helpful results) Where do I get information on whether a font has copy-protection.
<message edited by SilentNegotiator on Thursday, August 01, 2013 3:00 PM>
B Man

• Total Posts : 8479
Re:Anyone know anything about fonts regarding copyrights? - Thursday, August 01, 2013 3:33 PM ( #2 )
Eiffel

• Total Posts : 11965
Re:Anyone know anything about fonts regarding copyrights? - Thursday, August 01, 2013 3:55 PM ( #3 )
Fonts are royalty based, just like a stock photo, music, or any other asset created by an author, whether it's freeware, shareware or public domain is specific to the author who released them. Most of the fonts on like say Dafont.com are freeware but each have different licencing agreements to their use. Typically with freeware on commercial projects, you're legally obligated to cite your resource and give credit. But licencing permissions and their usage are specific to what an author allows, usually upon request or on their portfolio do they state permissions of their work. 
<message edited by Eiffel on Thursday, August 01, 2013 4:00 PM>

SilentNegotiator

Re:Anyone know anything about fonts regarding copyrights? - Thursday, August 01, 2013 8:23 PM ( #4 )
Thanks for the info, fellas. But does anyone know a site where I check copyright info by font? I have to imagine at least one or two are royalty-free freeware.
B Man

• Total Posts : 8479
Re:Anyone know anything about fonts regarding copyrights? - Thursday, August 01, 2013 8:41 PM ( #5 )
SilentNegotiator

Thanks for the info, fellas. But does anyone know a site where I check copyright info by font? I have to imagine at least one or two are royalty-free freeware.

Like mentioned in my link, appearantly in word you can right-click the fonts and click on properties to see all the legal info of every font.  I don't have word so I can't confirm.
SilentNegotiator

Re:Anyone know anything about fonts regarding copyrights? - Friday, August 02, 2013 2:13 AM ( #6 )
Unfortunately, it seems that I have to expand the category a thousand and a half times (in the senselessly restricted-sized properties window) to read the license details. But I'm sure there's some obvious solution to that I'm not seeing.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread