TLOU Epic Ellie Fail AI

HopeFalcon

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
TLOU Epic Ellie Fail AI - Thursday, August 01, 2013 5:01 PM ( #1 )
This video was linked on another website and I wanted to share it with you. Only watch the part starting at 10 seconds, DAT AI LOL!
SmokeyMcBear

• Total Posts : 14805
Re:TLOU Epic Ellie Fail AI - Thursday, August 01, 2013 5:10 PM ( #2 )
haha you big dummy

All work and no play.. makes odion go something something
Eiffel

• Total Posts : 11965
Re:TLOU Epic Ellie Fail AI - Thursday, August 01, 2013 5:22 PM ( #3 )
My favorite part will always be how she clips through the player and can walk in plain sight of an enemy. Quality immersion. 

MidnytRain

• Total Posts : 3755
Re:TLOU Epic Ellie Fail AI - Thursday, August 01, 2013 5:25 PM ( #4 )
Eiffel

My favorite part will always be how she clips through the player and can walk in plain sight of an enemy. Quality immersion. 

I read that was intentional design.
coolbeans

• Total Posts : 3288
Re:TLOU Epic Ellie Fail AI - Thursday, August 01, 2013 5:26 PM ( #5 )
Eiffel

I remember reading somewhere that's part of the design.  Like...if you look closely enough you can see she's actually hiding under you for protection.
SmokeyMcBear

• Total Posts : 14805
Re:TLOU Epic Ellie Fail AI - Thursday, August 01, 2013 5:28 PM ( #6 )
you know what would be better would be trying to stealth and having an AI constantly get noticed and cause havok.

All work and no play.. makes odion go something something
Eiffel

Re:TLOU Epic Ellie Fail AI - Thursday, August 01, 2013 5:29 PM ( #7 )
MidnytRain

Eiffel

I read that was intentional design.

Intentional because they weren't able to nav her AI correctly. I recall one of them stating it was a regrettable copout. 

coolbeans

I remember reading somewhere that's part of the design.  Like...if you look closely enough you can see she's actually hiding under you for protection. 

The cover isn't the problem, she'll at random points dip through the player mesh to get behind cover close or turn back around, it's a complication of navigation. 

SmokeyMcBear

you know what would be better would be trying to stealth and having an AI constantly get noticed and cause havok. 

Actually yeah considering the stealth in the game was average at best, could have mixed it up by having a realistic act of error on another's part, sort of like a real life situation that these cinematic games go for. For an immerse experience having someone following you in plain sight of an enemy doesn't make any sense whatever way you spin it. 
<message edited by Eiffel on Thursday, August 01, 2013 5:37 PM>

Ducky

• Total Posts : 2371
Re:TLOU Epic Ellie Fail AI - Thursday, August 01, 2013 5:38 PM ( #8 )
SmokeyMcBear

You either do something well, or don't bother doing it.

If they can't get the friendly AI to work without regularly breaking the immersion, then they should've tried something else.
Otherwise, you've spent all that effort trying to craft a serious world, only to have NPCs spoil it all by talking around clickers and bumping into bad guys in plain sight.
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

• Total Posts : 10857
Re:TLOU Epic Ellie Fail AI - Thursday, August 01, 2013 10:04 PM ( #9 )
My favourite part is the part where there's no ****ing video to watch. I think real life failures are far worse than AI failures.
Formerly Known as Hellbringer. PSN: KenshinBATT0USAI 3DS: 2895-6892-5663 Steam: Vashlion
LtSkittles

• Total Posts : 3113
Re:TLOU Epic Ellie Fail AI - Thursday, August 01, 2013 10:14 PM ( #10 )
Vashlion

My favourite part is the part where there's no ****ing video to watch. I think real life failures are far worse than AI failures.

I don't what you're talking bout, excellent video OP.
Chard

• Total Posts : 507
Re:TLOU Epic Ellie Fail AI - Thursday, August 01, 2013 10:48 PM ( #11 )
I didn't encounter any serious issues with Ellie AI breaking the immersion. I was always busy worrying about my own ass, plus she was usually pretty well hidden when she needed to be. There's a good reason why this issue didn't prevent universal acclaim for this game.

coolbeans

• Total Posts : 3288
Re:TLOU Epic Ellie Fail AI - Friday, August 02, 2013 6:17 AM ( #12 )
Eiffel

The cover isn't the problem, she'll at random points dip through the player mesh to get behind cover close or turn back around, it's a complication of navigation.  

Ahh...I see. 

Chard

There's a good reason why this issue didn't prevent universal acclaim for this game. 

...Tom Chick.  
<message edited by coolbeans on Friday, August 02, 2013 6:25 AM>
Nate-Dog

• Total Posts : 2115
Re:TLOU Epic Ellie Fail AI - Friday, August 02, 2013 11:30 AM ( #13 )
Chard

I didn't encounter any serious issues with Ellie AI breaking the immersion. I was always busy worrying about my own ass, plus she was usually pretty well hidden when she needed to be. There's a good reason why this issue didn't prevent universal acclaim for this game.

*runs around maniacally when clickers are around*

*shouts "OH ****" and says other stuff*

Nothing.

Eiffel

Re:TLOU Epic Ellie Fail AI - Friday, August 02, 2013 1:05 PM ( #14 )
Nate-Dog

Chard

*runs around maniacally when clickers are around*

*shouts "OH ****" and says other stuff*

Nothing.

UnSelf

• Total Posts : 2569
Re:TLOU Epic Ellie Fail AI - Friday, August 02, 2013 2:40 PM ( #15 )
Vashlion

lmao

-MD-

• Total Posts : 8196
Re:TLOU Epic Ellie Fail AI - Friday, August 02, 2013 9:07 PM ( #16 )
Feel bad for you folks that let something as simple as the AI being noticed a few times throughout a 20 hour campaign ruin the best single player experience this entire gen has offered.

Like, genuinely. I feel bad for you guys. I'm sorry that happened to you and you couldn't let it go.

Eiffel

Re:TLOU Epic Ellie Fail AI - Friday, August 02, 2013 9:16 PM ( #17 )
-MD-

Feel bad for you folks that let something as simple as the AI being noticed a few times throughout a 20 hour campaign ruin the best single player experience this entire gen has offered.

Like, genuinely. I feel bad for you guys. I'm sorry that happened to you and you couldn't let it go.

Because acknowledging something skewed and talking about it means the game is ruined. Oh no. 

Nate-Dog

• Total Posts : 2115
Re:TLOU Epic Ellie Fail AI - Saturday, August 03, 2013 10:11 AM ( #18 )
Eiffel

-MD-

Because acknowledging something skewed and talking about it means the game is ruined. Oh no. 

Indeed, I don't think any of us said that it ruined the experience. It certainly sucked the realism out of the moments in which it happened though.

-MD-

• Total Posts : 8196
Re:TLOU Epic Ellie Fail AI - Saturday, August 03, 2013 6:21 PM ( #19 )
Eiffel

-MD-

You've made it clear since the game came out that you didn't care for it.

I just feel bad is all. It was so good. It's ok to let some things slide once n awhile if it makes the core game function better.
<message edited by -MD- on Saturday, August 03, 2013 6:25 PM>
Eiffel

Re:TLOU Epic Ellie Fail AI - Saturday, August 03, 2013 6:26 PM ( #20 )
-MD-

Eiffel

-MD-

You've made it clear since the game came out that you didn't care for it.

I just feel bad is all. It was so good.

I find it grossly overrated, yes. But nothing ruined the gameplay for me, which isn't relevant to the discussion. 

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread