Does a character's race matter? Check out this article on Latinos in Video Games

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 49 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
DarkPhoenixForce

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
Does a character's race matter? Check out this article on Latinos in Video Games - Monday, August 19, 2013 2:53 PM ( #1 )
Hey everyone--

Just came across this article for the top Latinos in video games. Should we even be caring about a character's race?

Posting it here because my favorite character from the list is from PS: 
Tewi-Inaba

• Total Posts : 2216
Re:Does a character's race matter? Check out this article on Latinos in Video Ga - Monday, August 19, 2013 3:40 PM ( #2 )
This whole 'race in video games' really boggles my mind.

Especially people who talk of fantasy fiction
"THEY SHOULD MAKE LINK BLACK/BROWN/ECT."
You realize that won't make him latino or african.
He'd be like a wood ELF or drow or some ****. He's a **** ****ing elf.

races should get over themselves, who the **** gets prideful over a fictional character? 
They exist for our joy and entertainment not to empower 'x' race.

In other words.
Who gives a ****?

Friend Code:1650-0941-8045
Mr Tretton

• Total Posts : 2532
Re:Does a character's race matter? Check out this article on Latinos in Video Ga - Monday, August 19, 2013 4:23 PM ( #3 )
Uh, why is it sometimes someone posts 'here's a link' and then there's no link?

DragonPs4

• Total Posts : 530
Re:Does a character's race matter? Check out this article on Latinos in Video Ga - Monday, August 19, 2013 4:25 PM ( #4 )
Mr Tretton

When I was a new member I couldn't post links due to restrictions. 
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

• Total Posts : 10857
Re:Does a character's race matter? Check out this article on Latinos in Video Ga - Monday, August 19, 2013 4:27 PM ( #5 )
DragonPs4

Mr Tretton

When I was a new member I couldn't post links due to restrictions. 

Yup exactly this, pretty recently added. It's to prevent spam...that being said it would be so much more efficient to just have it so new members can't post new topics up to 100 posts of something.
Formerly Known as Hellbringer. PSN: KenshinBATT0USAI 3DS: 2895-6892-5663 Steam: Vashlion
TheNocturnus

• Total Posts : 4403
Re:Does a character's race matter? Check out this article on Latinos in Video Ga - Monday, August 19, 2013 4:29 PM ( #6 )
Vashlion

Yup exactly this, pretty recently added. It's to prevent spam...that being said it would be so much more efficient to just have it so new members can't post new topics up to 100 posts of something.

That would prevent so many one post wonders and all spam. What a great idea. Make this guy an admin!

OT: Race never matters to me in games. 
<message edited by TheNocturnus on Monday, August 19, 2013 4:30 PM>
Eiffel

• Total Posts : 11966
Re:Does a character's race matter? Check out this article on Latinos in Video Ga - Monday, August 19, 2013 5:33 PM ( #7 )
I think the bigger issue are people who try to raise a point but don't know the difference between ethnicity and race. 

Tewi-Inaba

Re:Does a character's race matter? Check out this article on Latinos in Video Ga - Monday, August 19, 2013 5:46 PM ( #8 )
Eiffel

I think the bigger issue are people who try to raise a point but don't know the difference between ethnicity and race. 

My mistake but it still doesn't change my point

Eiffel

Re:Does a character's race matter? Check out this article on Latinos in Video Ga - Monday, August 19, 2013 5:56 PM ( #9 )
Tewi-Inaba

Eiffel

My mistake but it still doesn't change my point

That was directed at OP, I agree either way with your point. Don't see what's the big deal sweating a character of a certain race. Hell I had to play Prototype 2 as a stereotypical foul mouthed angry black man and it didn't faze me because I just wanted to go on a power trip and kill some baddies. For vanity sake race, gender, and associated other are best left with games where the experience is meant to be shaped around you or a character of your design, RPG's and multiplayer are two good examples. 

SmokeyMcBear

• Total Posts : 14805
Re:Does a character's race matter? Check out this article on Latinos in Video Ga - Monday, August 19, 2013 6:15 PM ( #10 )
I'm pretty sure this is a spam link meant to get hits for this article. This same article was the subject of another thread, although that OP made it a little less obvious.

All work and no play.. makes odion go something something
LtSkittles

• Total Posts : 3113
Re:Does a character's race matter? Check out this article on Latinos in Video Ga - Monday, August 19, 2013 6:19 PM ( #11 )
SmokeyMcBear
I'm pretty sure this is a spam link meant to get hits for this article. This same article was the subject of another thread, although that OP made it a little less obvious.
Yea, and it's from early 2011, but it was just a top 10 list on giantbomb.
Tewi-Inaba

Re:Does a character's race matter? Check out this article on Latinos in Video Ga - Monday, August 19, 2013 6:34 PM ( #12 )
You know?
I bet I could run a very successful gaming site.
just based on sensationalism and talk about **** I don't actually care about like how videogames aren't considered an art, how women are being objectified as sex objects and how mario is a communist shoe horn to young kids.
I'm sure it would be extremely successful.

I think I'd name it kotaku

Mr Tretton

Re:Does a character's race matter? Check out this article on Latinos in Video Ga - Monday, August 19, 2013 7:39 PM ( #13 )
Well, on the subject at hand, it's mostly simple, and it's the same thing with movies. There is a specific majority of a certain race involved in all this so of course you're going to get certain results. It's not good or bad, it just is. As those numbers shift, which they have been, then it will change the results you see on the screen, which has been happening.

However, pandering in an attempt to not appear 'racist' (a word that is used for anything these days) or trying too hard for diversity, I don't think is something certain people should feel forced to do to appease the race police. This should, and will, all unfold naturally.

One last thing, I am, so called 'Latino', 'Hispanic', or whatever other meaningless terms I can claim, and I don't care what race my character is. If the character was 'like me', it would be a novelty at best, would wear off immediately, and I'd be more concerned about whether this game is any good or not. 

thorstein

• Total Posts : 438
Re:Does a character's race matter? Check out this article on Latinos in Video Ga - Monday, August 19, 2013 8:28 PM ( #14 )
 "Race In Video Games" Well it really is up to the developer isn't it? I mean, if you are making a game wherein the protagonist is a hedgehog, well then, the protagonist is a hedgehog. If it it is a human then that is the race you go with. Now, most fantasy sci-fi games have many races of hominids, either due to the setting (in the case of fantasy) or the planet (in the case of sci fi.) So, does a character's race matter? Certainly. I mean, fantasy allows for certain strengths and weaknesses based upon it and so can science fiction. It makes sense to me. But it really only applies to these genres doesn't it. Unless of course, you are making games like Ecco the Dolphin, Starfox, even LittleBigPlanet, I guess. (BTW, I know that there is only one human race and we are all 99.99% genetically identical, so don't even bother going off about "races of humans." It will just make you sound like an ignoramus.)
Mr Tretton

Re:Does a character's race matter? Check out this article on Latinos in Video Ga - Monday, August 19, 2013 9:02 PM ( #15 )
thorstein

I know that there is only one human race and we are all 99.99% genetically identical, so don't even bother going off about "races of humans." It will just make you sound like an ignoramus.

Eh, we are all the same human species. Yes, 'race' as a definition is kind of all over the place. But you know what someone is saying when they use it, so there's no need to PC the word. If we are all the 'human race', then we're the human 'race' in relation to what? Race is a word of division by definition, not unity. At most we were the human 'race' when Neanderthals still existed. We are the human species with racial categories that we've created for descriptive acknowledgement. You could say it's all mostly irrelevant, but there is some obvious relevance. 

-Hey look at that poodle, and that pitbull.

-Hey now, they're all part of the Canine race. No need to separate! Heck I can't even tell the difference, which one is the poodle again?

Eiffel

Re:Does a character's race matter? Check out this article on Latinos in Video Ga - Monday, August 19, 2013 9:17 PM ( #16 )
If I recall our skin color is different based on the angle of the sun's casting on the earth as well as the climate that affected us genetically through skin pigmentation for millions of years. Since then we've basked in our ignorance when we should have been destroying nature and the sun for trolling us. 

thorstein

Re:Does a character's race matter? Check out this article on Latinos in Video Ga - Tuesday, August 20, 2013 7:31 PM ( #17 )

Mr Tretton
thorstein
I know that there is only one human race and we are all 99.99% genetically identical, so don't even bother going off about "races of humans." It will just make you sound like an ignoramus.
Eh, we are all the same human species. Yes, 'race' as a definition is kind of all over the place. But you know what someone is saying when they use it, so there's no need to PC the word. If we are all the 'human race', then we're the human 'race' in relation to what? Race is a word of division by definition, not unity. At most we were the human 'race' when Neanderthals still existed. We are the human species with racial categories that we've created for descriptive acknowledgement. You could say it's all mostly irrelevant, but there is some obvious relevance. -Hey look at that poodle, and that pitbull. -Hey now, they're all part of the Canine race. No need to separate! Heck I can't even tell the difference, which one is the poodle again?
And so we get an ignoramus to step to the plate. Hilarious. As Eiffel so eloquently explained, skin color is only an indication of where our ancestors lived. Canine is a race. Human is a race. It isn't all "PC'd". It is called BIOLOGY. It is a verifiable scientific nomenclature. We are of the race: Homo Sapiens. Two disparate races are unable to procreate. Other wise cats could mate with dogs. However, felines can procreate, thus we end up with ligers and tyons. Of course, the males tend to be sterile so recently we have seen live births of liligers. Pretty cool actually. However, All you have demonstrated is your total ignorance of biological categories. There are no biological races within H. Sapiens (Source: Core Concepts in Biological Anthropology, Augustin Fuentes. McGraw Hill. 2008.)
RavageX

• Total Posts : 34
Re:Does a character's race matter? Check out this article on Latinos in Video Ga - Tuesday, August 20, 2013 7:48 PM ( #18 )
To keep this simply about ethnic groups in games(cause the race bit was explained quite well already), I like it when games give you the choice of being whatever you want to be, man/woman...old/young...black/asian/whatever. 

That is the best option for me because there aren't any limits. 

Games that are based on characters already defined...well that's ok. I don't expect Batman to be japanese. 

What does bother me is when new characters follow a generic pattern/stereotype. 

That lacks creativity, which is something that should obviously be in games. 

thorstein

Re:Does a character's race matter? Check out this article on Latinos in Video Ga - Tuesday, August 20, 2013 8:36 PM ( #19 )
 @RavageX Nice. I think it adds to replayability too. In DA:O my first character was a male elf. Second character was a female human. It feels like a new game. Great point.
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

• Total Posts : 10857
Re:Does a character's race matter? Check out this article on Latinos in Video Ga - Tuesday, August 20, 2013 8:40 PM ( #20 )
thorstein

@RavageX Nice. I think it adds to replayability too. In DA:O my first character was a male elf. Second character was a female human. It feels like a new game. Great point.

Mhmm, I like this idea a lot.

Reality is, racism exists. So if you're trying to make a realistic world, some level of racism would be present. 

Take movies like Lord of the Rings, they straight up have racists viewpoints between the elves, dwarfs, hobbits, etc.

On the flip side, games that react to things like race and gender are something I support because realistically, you will be treated differently based on those things.
Formerly Known as Hellbringer. PSN: KenshinBATT0USAI 3DS: 2895-6892-5663 Steam: Vashlion
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 49 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 3 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread