Kinect 2.0 on Xbox One, big advantage?

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 29 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
Cogentleman

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
Kinect 2.0 on Xbox One, big advantage? - Friday, August 23, 2013 2:05 AM ( #1 )
So I've been looking at the new consoles, and arguments on both sides, and there are strengths to each- Xbox One has Halo and Forza, and for gamers that love those franchises, they simply have to do it. I understand, if MGS5 were exclusive to a console, I'd be automatically forced to get that one as well. I personally like the underlying Playstation philosophy and games better, others like that of the Xbox One and that makes sense to me. But one thing I keep seeing pop up that I really don't understand is the Kinect 2.0 being a major advantage. Maybe it's just me, but from a gaming perspective at least, has accuracy been the only thing holding back Kinect games? Would Fable: The Journey or Star Wars: Kinect have gotten rave reviews if they only were more accurate? Eyetoy came out in like 2004, Kinect in 2010, and we're now in 2013, and there have been less cool games made with the peripherals than Guitar Hero guitars. Cool games have been promised for it for almost a decade now, and it seems quite clear that processing power and latency aren't the reason good games aren't coming out for it, as John Carmack said (paraphrased, of course), it's just fundamentally not a good controller for games. So is it the UI features that got some people pumped? That makes some sense, controlling TV and other such things with it seems really awesome, watching some videos of it, I could see myself wanting to control my TV or PC with it separately if I could purchase it for that. Are there games down the pipeline coming for it that look awesome that I haven't seen? Any game idea presented that sounds slightly promising or something? I'm just kinda confused by it at this point, and would like some perspective.
kon2

• Total Posts : 694
Re:Kinect 2.0 on Xbox One, big advantage? - Friday, August 23, 2013 6:51 AM ( #2 )
Kinect 2 is a game changer. I'd go as far as saying it's revolutionary. The possibilities are just endless.
thebudgetgamer

• Total Posts : 6958
Re:Kinect 2.0 on Xbox One, big advantage? - Friday, August 23, 2013 7:24 AM ( #3 )
- [This post was marked as helpful]
You mean if the camera was more accurate the dancing sequences in Star Wars would be more enjoyable?

kon2

Kinect 2 is a game changer. I'd go as far as saying it's revolutionary. The possibilities are just endless.

This type of comedy gold is the reason I'm glad you're back.

<message edited by thebudgetgamer on Friday, August 23, 2013 7:26 AM>
TheMART

• Total Posts : 3356
Re:Kinect 2.0 on Xbox One, big advantage? - Friday, August 23, 2013 9:17 AM ( #4 )
To answer your question for the future, look at the past. Was Kinect v1 a gamechanger, that is, for gamers? Outside of the shovelware it produced?

Upgrading 720p to 1080p for Kinect 2 and being bit more precise, doesn't suddenly make the device really different. The input stays the same. And you know what they say: no button, no game.

So no, you'll see Kinect Adventures 2, another Kinect sport etc etc. Heck they even took Ryse of Kinect and replace it with input from the normal controller. No Kinect games at launch, it says enough.

MS just wants to spy on you when you rent a movie. Watch it with more than 4 people? XBL will charge you some extra for each person over 4 that is watching... This is MS's future: total control. They tried it with the DRM, failed at first, but will reintroduce over 2 to 3 years when enough people got suckered into Xbone. Indie needs a publisher? They did 180 not to lose too many launch sales, probably back in 2 to 3 years to with their reasoning: 'it'll sort out the quality content' but really: MS getting more $$$.

Dont' trust the NSA spycam, those saying it is not? NSA is watching your hotmail. MS watches your personal private Skype video conversations. Don't see why the console suddenly is left out.

RavageX

• Total Posts : 34
Re:Kinect 2.0 on Xbox One, big advantage? - Friday, August 23, 2013 9:58 AM ( #5 )
The type of games this sorta thing would be good for is pretty limited. 

If it were accurate(and from what I've seen with that fighting video it is definitely not) It would be great for a boxing game.

It could tell if you were getting fatigued(I assume) exactly what sort of punches you were throwing and what spots on your body you are leaving wide open. 

But like I said it doesn't seem to be very accurate so we see games were you hold an imaginary steering wheel instead. 

Outside of the games we've seen(dancing, exercise, and kids games) it's only good for turning on your tv.

I don't know what to say about Sony's camera either, but at least they were accurate and had proper 1:1 with the Move. Maybe they will have the boxing game and/or a proper exercise game I find myself thinking about. 

<message edited by RavageX on Friday, August 23, 2013 9:59 AM>
NeverEnding1989

• Total Posts : 666
Re:Kinect 2.0 on Xbox One, big advantage? - Friday, August 23, 2013 1:10 PM ( #6 )
TheMART

ITT: Short term no, long term yes. I don't like Kinect, but Kinect 2.0 is looking very promising. Give devs a couple of years and we'll have Minority Report. 

Welcome to next gen:

SmokeyMcBear

• Total Posts : 14748
Re:Kinect 2.0 on Xbox One, big advantage? - Friday, August 23, 2013 1:20 PM ( #7 )
ah the wishful thinking, never gets old.

All work and no play.. makes odion go something something
TheMART

Re:Kinect 2.0 on Xbox One, big advantage? - Friday, August 23, 2013 1:27 PM ( #8 )
I guess neverending loves that people are reading his email and MS is looking at the Skype convos you think are private.

Be my guest. Microsoft is an American company and it seems that the policies within USA on spying on everyone and their dog, even by companies as MS allowing itself to view the Skype conversations, is normal business. I don't see what would be the difference for MS to view your SKype convo, or to use the Xbone Kinectcam to do the same for their ways to control everything that is done with their content.

I still don't get what people see with Kinect v2.0 would bring any different content really. The concept of Kinects stays exactly the same, it is just an improved version. And v1 had a terrible effect on gaming for the 360.

NeverEnding1989

Re:Kinect 2.0 on Xbox One, big advantage? - Friday, August 23, 2013 1:37 PM ( #9 )
SmokeyMcBear

ah the wishful thinking, never gets old.

Do I really have to pull up the quote of you swearing to never pay to play online again? Your opinions are about as consistent as Microsoft's DRM policies.  

Welcome to next gen:

NeverEnding1989

Re:Kinect 2.0 on Xbox One, big advantage? - Friday, August 23, 2013 1:39 PM ( #10 )
TheMART

Let me know when you want to have an actual discussion. 

Welcome to next gen:

SmokeyMcBear

Re:Kinect 2.0 on Xbox One, big advantage? - Friday, August 23, 2013 1:43 PM ( #11 )
pull it up again, never did I say I would never pay for online, I said it stupid because its fee upon fee upon fee, and pull up the quotes from the past 3 months where I still think its stupid. but yeah, keep thinking that. I'm going to pay reluctantly because now there is no choice, as apposed to today there being an actual choice (and no PC is not a choice), yet you keep feeding from that trough with your **** eating grin. But I digress, keep wisfully thinking that a minority report functionality will be given one day, just don't hold your breathe.

TheMART

Re:Kinect 2.0 on Xbox One, big advantage? - Friday, August 23, 2013 1:48 PM ( #12 )
there is a reason why movies are fiction...

Yeah, one day, one day we'll truly have a beam me up scotty moment too. In the year 2500. Should you care for it now?

Kinect v2, just v2 of more shovelware. Enjoy.

SmokeyMcBear

Re:Kinect 2.0 on Xbox One, big advantage? - Friday, August 23, 2013 1:55 PM ( #13 )
actually technically, I'm still getting free multiplayer, because I alredy pay for PS+ to receive many games to play in the IGC as well as a lot of discounts to games I want to buy.. sooo... yeah. Anyways. This kinect thing is big joke, in order to get functionality like a minority report, you still need tactile input, your fingers will need to break the plane of some holographic projection in order to work properly. Also, do you really want to "play" minority report functionality? there is no action, no gameplay, its simply swiping to view files and close windows, and select things to expand... that sounds.. funtastic!

NeverEnding1989

Re:Kinect 2.0 on Xbox One, big advantage? - Friday, August 23, 2013 1:57 PM ( #14 )
I like to troll and then fart in my hand and smell it.

Welcome to next gen:

SmokeyMcBear

Re:Kinect 2.0 on Xbox One, big advantage? - Friday, August 23, 2013 4:37 PM ( #15 )
just one more time... you know the rules. no trolling.

SmokeyMcBear

Re:Kinect 2.0 on Xbox One, big advantage? - Friday, August 23, 2013 4:56 PM ( #16 )
so on topic eh, this kinect stuff in my oh so humble personal opinion ist going anywhere, and now that's it not required to run the machine, has even less incentive to make developers integrate into a game. Now the tech itself is really impressive. Where I see the kinect shining is independent thinkers who use the tech in machines, and projects that are not related to games, but in real world life applications.

Mr Tretton

• Total Posts : 2528
Re:Kinect 2.0 on Xbox One, big advantage? - Friday, August 23, 2013 9:15 PM ( #17 )
The whole camera thing will mean more with Oculus Rift in the future, I'd imagine. That's the only thing that would get me interested in motion cameras, which I never have been, and it makes OR more potentially interesting too. That's the most positive thing I can say about Kinect2 or PS4Eye right now. Until then, those things are in the don't care-novelty category for me.

Cogentleman

• Total Posts : 2
Re:Kinect 2.0 on Xbox One, big advantage? - Friday, August 23, 2013 10:30 PM ( #18 )
NeverEnding1989

ITT: Short term no, long term yes. I don't like Kinect, but Kinect 2.0 is looking very promising. Give devs a couple of years and we'll have Minority Report. 

This, this is what I'm wondering about. Like, literally, what does that mean? What are a few years needed for? What are they gonna make? Like, LITERALLY the Minority Report video-viewing software? If anyone really wants Minority Report's technology, they can go get it right now, I mean it was just a normal video player, it just looked awesome because it was on a holographic screen and he had giant techno-gloves on. So does this mean that it's software and applications that's the appeal, not the games? Are video-editors the dream?
thebudgetgamer

• Total Posts : 6958
Re:Kinect 2.0 on Xbox One, big advantage? - Friday, August 23, 2013 10:44 PM ( #19 )
NeverEnding1989

I like to troll and then fart in my hand and smell it.

That's gross dude.  

On topic: No.
Idba

• Total Posts : 1
Re:Kinect 2.0 on Xbox One, big advantage? - Monday, September 02, 2013 10:15 AM ( #20 )
kon2

I currently dont see the game changing factor. Both the PS4 camera and the Kinect supports Voice command, both can detect movements, etc etc.

And with the touchpad and the gyros on the DS4 kinect really doesnt have a big advantage.

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 29 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread