What if Google and Apple joined the console club?

killcole

• Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
What if Google and Apple joined the console club? - Wednesday, September 04, 2013 6:03 AM ( #1 )
This is an extract for something I wrote for my blog. I'm trying to get going with this journalism stuff so I'd be glad if you visited the blog too. It's the story at the top. Front page. Anyways. I'm not forcing anybody so the whole thing is here anyway. Follow the blog if you like. Not a habitually regular poster. But if you like the stuff then you'll get a good read every now and then. The blog address is hailgoku. It's a wordpress so .wordpress .com. I have no idea how that will appear on this damnable with all of its restrictions. so hailgoku*dot*wordpress*dot*com get it? Thanks. If Google and Apple did enter the market, Sony and Microsoft would have to learn to swim very fast, or face drowning in the success of the competitor. Think about it, Google and Apple are software giants (Apple being a leader in both soft and hardware) with a huge advantage – they wouldn’t be going about console gaming in the same way the Microsoft and Sony are today, with physical based media still being a huge factor. Google and Apple would literally enter the race with mini Steam boxes. All digital, all reasonably priced, with all the advantages of an all digital library. They both have the capital to plow into the gaming industry, securing third-party deals and scope to acquire some first party indie studios (and whole Apple and Play Stores of potential to pick from). The Google and Apple consoles will be what Microsoft wanted to do with the Xbox One, without the burden of physical media causing problems like always on, still keeping prices higher than that of Steam, DRM etc… It’s perhaps unfair to condemn Microsoft for shying away from the digital future so frivolously. In a position such as the one they found themselves – with a main competitor releasing in tandem, still championing the tried and tested strategy the gaming community had become accustom to – the pressure to simply reverse the policy must have been (and clearly was) overwhelming. The policies, designed to help ease the transition to digital (or choke the consumer and limit their options, whichever you believe), were always going to be met with opposition. Human nature is to resist change. Even within a community where technology out paces itself year on year. It’s hard to know you want something, or even need something new, when the thing you have already works “just fine” (or does it?). So when the company (or companies) you have invested in so much over the years, become accustom to, put your trust in, and in some cases – championed like loyal fanboy keyboard warriors of the vale. When those companies try to change things, to the scale that Microsoft did, they understandably (and arguably, deservedly) were met with resistance. Google and Apple have no such ties. I’ll stick my neck out here and commit the eighth cardinal and present what is essentially opinion as a fact. But I believe it wholeheartedly. An all digital console created to directly rival Microsoft and Sony’s current offering (essentially, a mini steam box) is better, than Microsoft and Sony’s current offering. Google and Apple could release the consoles with no resistance and when people start to realise the benefits (digital convenience – no discs, portable library etc, lower RRPs, game devs seeing fairer cuts), which won’t take long, Sony and Microsoft’s market share will dwindle. When they [Google/Apple] join the console race, that is really when the next generation of console gaming will begin. What’s worrying, is that if they do it during this gen, Microsoft and Sony will be stuck, unable to adapt quickly enough and make the switch from physical to digital. Microsoft might have had a chance with the One, as the transition from its original policies, to fully digital would have been eased as people would have already started to realise the benefits of a digital library with trading licences. If Google/Apple were to join the console race within the next 7 years… Game over.
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

• Total Posts : 10857
Re:What if Google and Apple joined the console club? - Wednesday, September 04, 2013 6:37 AM ( #2 )
My ****ing eyes...

You should be banned for not making any paragraphs.

To answer your question, we'd have a bunch of ****ty OUYA equivalents that play iOS and Android games. But in addition consoles would have yearly cycles but have an absurd price tag. Basically something that should hopefully never happen.
Formerly Known as Hellbringer. PSN: KenshinBATT0USAI 3DS: 2895-6892-5663 Steam: Vashlion
Eiffel

• Total Posts : 11965
Re:What if Google and Apple joined the console club? - Wednesday, September 04, 2013 12:07 PM ( #3 )
If Google the privacy invasive company made a console, what could go wrong? 

ShAkKa

• Total Posts : 5907
Re:What if Google and Apple joined the console club? - Wednesday, September 04, 2013 1:06 PM ( #4 )
What if they didn't? 

SmokeyMcBear

• Total Posts : 14805
Re:What if Google and Apple joined the console club? - Wednesday, September 04, 2013 1:19 PM ( #5 )
What if they do?

All work and no play.. makes odion go something something
Convas

• Total Posts : 2484
Re:What if Google and Apple joined the console club? - Wednesday, September 04, 2013 1:41 PM ( #6 )
Too many cooks would be in the kitchen and ultimately, we'd all die. 

The end.
(Steam: Ricky Ricardo)(Origin: Convas)(PSN/XBL: Convas)

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread