Which is better - single or dual gpu cards

no_more_heroes

• Total Posts : 34
  • Reward points : 0
Which is better - single or dual gpu cards - Monday, September 09, 2013 9:47 PM ( #1 )
Hey, guys. If you couldn't tell from the title, I'm a complete n00b at PC gaming, but want to get into it. I'm not totally clueless (I have friends who are/used to be big time pc gamers), but I'm no enthusiast myself. So, as the title mentions, what are the advantages/disadvantages of single vs. dual gpus, if any?
The Forgotten One
Max Power

• Total Posts : 6632
Re:Which is better - single or dual gpu cards - Monday, September 09, 2013 9:50 PM ( #2 )
- [This post was marked as helpful]
http://www.tomshardware.c...6-33-single-dual-cards
no_more_heroes

Re:Which is better - single or dual gpu cards - Monday, September 09, 2013 10:09 PM ( #3 )
Thanks for the link! I would like a triple monitor setup. I plan on using this thing to make games as well as play them. I basically want to build a pc that can do Battlefield 4 at 1080p and 60fps. Are the recommended SysReqs for BF4 enough to achieve that?
The Forgotten One
AuToFiRE

• Total Posts : 11591
Re:Which is better - single or dual gpu cards - Monday, September 09, 2013 10:14 PM ( #4 )
no_more_heroes

Thanks for the link! I would like a triple monitor setup. I plan on using this thing to make games as well as play them. I basically want to build a pc that can do Battlefield 4 at 1080p and 60fps. Are the recommended SysReqs for BF4 enough to achieve that?

Won't need dual GPU for that.. Or new GPUs at all..

RSI: AuTo   
Feel free to add me, just let me know you are from N4G
@cl1983 No.
no_more_heroes

Re:Which is better - single or dual gpu cards - Monday, September 09, 2013 10:38 PM ( #5 )
  Good to know. So would a gtx 660 be enough for 1080p @ 60fps for BF4 (going off the recommended SysReqs posted by EA)?
The Forgotten One
Eiffel

• Total Posts : 11966
Re:Which is better - single or dual gpu cards - Monday, September 09, 2013 10:44 PM ( #6 )
I'd rather have a full degree monitor than three separate ones slapped together with the rims breaking the degree radius. 

This is actually considered blasphemy to some PC enthusiasts. Like it's too good of a preference to comprehend. 
<message edited by Eiffel on Monday, September 09, 2013 10:49 PM>

no_more_heroes

Re:Which is better - single or dual gpu cards - Monday, September 09, 2013 11:01 PM ( #7 )
  o_0' dat monitor...does it even display normally when not running a game? How much does that beast cost???
The Forgotten One
Eiffel

Re:Which is better - single or dual gpu cards - Monday, September 09, 2013 11:11 PM ( #8 )
no_more_heroes

o_0' dat monitor...does it even display normally when not running a game? How much does that beast cost???

Don't know what happened to it frankly, they showed it off at some expos, but other than that I can only assume it was a prototype for whatever better one they'll release in the future, it was a projection monitor so I doubt they were going to peek anyone's interest to open their wallet. Ostendo Technologies designed it. They used to have it available for $6,400. 

MidnytRain

• Total Posts : 3755
Re:Which is better - single or dual gpu cards - Monday, September 09, 2013 11:14 PM ( #9 )
Eiffel

no_more_heroes

Don't know what happened to it frankly, they showed it off at some expos, but other than that I can only assume it was a prototype for whatever better one they'll release in the future, it was a projection monitor so I doubt they were going to peek anyone's interest to open their wallet. Ostendo Technologies designed it. They used to have it available for $6,400. 

What's the ratio on that thing?
Eiffel

Re:Which is better - single or dual gpu cards - Monday, September 09, 2013 11:25 PM ( #10 )
MidnytRain

What's the ratio on that thing?

180 degrees arched I assume. Several other companies have produced their own, it's still something widely in prototype production. 
<message edited by Eiffel on Monday, September 09, 2013 11:29 PM>

wishingW3L

• Total Posts : 1091
Re:Which is better - single or dual gpu cards - Monday, September 09, 2013 11:37 PM ( #11 )
I was expecting better explanations, even from tomshare's forum posts.

I always thought that when people talked about Dual GPUs they were strictly taking about SLI or CF but there are actual Dual GPUs? Like are they integrated or what? I'm confused and too tired to read more about the subject.
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

• Total Posts : 10857
Re:Which is better - single or dual gpu cards - Monday, September 09, 2013 11:47 PM ( #12 )
Eiffel

I'd rather have a full degree monitor than three separate ones slapped together with the rims breaking the degree radius. 

This is actually considered blasphemy to some PC enthusiasts. Like it's too good of a preference to comprehend. 

Just saying, it defeats the purpose. Usually people with a triple monitor set up do more than just game on it.

The difference with cards with single and dual GPU. Generally dual gpus are better all around, because they are 2 gpus in one. But as such they take two slots, and draw more power and such. Honestly I think SLI or x-fire would be better.
<message edited by Kenshin_BATT0USAI on Monday, September 09, 2013 11:49 PM>
Formerly Known as Hellbringer. PSN: KenshinBATT0USAI 3DS: 2895-6892-5663 Steam: Vashlion
Eiffel

Re:Which is better - single or dual gpu cards - Tuesday, September 10, 2013 12:16 AM ( #13 )
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

Just saying, it defeats the purpose. Usually people with a triple monitor set up do more than just game on it.

I don't see how it matters, you can use something like this no differently than you could a triple monitor set up. Granted what you're running. 

WildArmed

• Total Posts : 10162
Re:Which is better - single or dual gpu cards - Tuesday, September 10, 2013 12:17 AM ( #14 )
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

Eiffel

The difference with cards with single and dual GPU. Generally dual gpus are better all around, because they are 2 gpus in one. But as such they take two slots, and draw more power and such. Honestly I think SLI or x-fire would be better.

I use three monitors at work, but it's obviously not for gaming. Wouldn't trade those three monitors in for an single arched one.

3 separate monitors helps a ton when it comes to productivity. 

Eiffel

Re:Which is better - single or dual gpu cards - Tuesday, September 10, 2013 12:23 AM ( #15 )
WildArmed

I use three monitors at work, but it's obviously not for gaming. Wouldn't trade those three monitors in for an single arched one.

Well to be fair, these are still prototype phase. The one above is four projections onto a single screen. More than likely in the future when these things become readily available with necessary upgraded specs you'll see an ability to equally split applications running full screen with the same screen, basically mimicking multiple monitors without the whole radius break between. I'm sure it's not beyond their marketing to not consider it for general multitasking use.

<message edited by Eiffel on Tuesday, September 10, 2013 12:36 AM>

WildArmed

• Total Posts : 10162
Re:Which is better - single or dual gpu cards - Tuesday, September 10, 2013 1:32 AM ( #16 )
Eiffel

WildArmed

Well to be fair, these are still prototype phase. The one above is four projections onto a single screen. More than likely in the future when these things become readily available with necessary upgraded specs you'll see an ability to equally split applications running full screen with the same screen, basically mimicking multiple monitors without the whole radius break between. I'm sure it's not beyond their marketing to not consider it for general multitasking use.

Yeah, being able to split / merge monitors virtually would be quite useful on an arched monitor

duplissi

• Total Posts : 1751
Re:Which is better - single or dual gpu cards - Tuesday, September 10, 2013 2:45 AM ( #17 )
wishingW3L

I was expecting better explanations, even from tomshare's forum posts.

I always thought that when people talked about Dual GPUs they were strictly taking about SLI or CF but there are actual Dual GPUs? Like are they integrated or what? I'm confused and too tired to read more about the subject.

A dual gpu card is essentially a crossfire or sli config in one card. so pretty much the same limitations apply to dual gpu cards that apply to multi gpu setups, with power consumption being the exception.

IMO its better to buy one good gpu than to get a dual gpu or crossfire/sli setup. 
kon2

• Total Posts : 694
Re:Which is better - single or dual gpu cards - Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:39 AM ( #18 )
AuToFiRE

no_more_heroes

Won't need dual GPU for that.. Or new GPUs at all..

Triple setup with BF4 @ 60FPS and 1080P, with one one GPU? Actually made me laugh in real life.
Satanas

• Total Posts : 13047
Re:Which is better - single or dual gpu cards - Tuesday, September 10, 2013 7:04 PM ( #19 )
- [This post was marked as helpful]
Eiffel

Excellent for gaming, but definitely not as nice as separate monitors if you also do your office work on your home computer

To the OP's question, I don't think one 660 will be good enough frankly, if your goal is to max out BF4 at 1080p (single monitor) and stay above 60fps in MP.

Also, as has been said, dual GPUs work the same as SLI'd or CF'd single GPUs for the most part. Now the thing is, many dual-GPU cards suffer from poor frame latency, with the 7990 being one of the biggest offenders. You can google it to read more about that.

And as kon2 pointed out, 1080p x 3 monitors? So you mean 5760x1080? If that's what you meant, then I suggest you buy a GTX 690 / TITAN / 780 SLI, or for ATI, a 7990 as the game is optimized for AMD cards, but be wary about the frame latency issues (these may be addressed via driver updates)

However, a slightly cheaper card/combination will handle that res and frame rate just fine if you drop your details to Low-Medium, which some people do choose to do. Your choice
<message edited by Satanas on Tuesday, September 10, 2013 7:12 PM>

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message