SteamOS/SteamBox [Updated with Pictures and Specs]

Change Page: 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 1 of 19, messages 1 to 20 of 376 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
AuToFiRE

• Total Posts : 11538
  • Reward points : 0
SteamOS/SteamBox [Updated with Pictures and Specs] - Monday, September 23, 2013 12:01 PM ( #1 )
SteamOS: http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/
SteamBox: http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamMachines/
Steam Controller http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamController/

SteamOS Download
 DEFAULT Install: http://store.steampowered.com/steamos/download/?ver=default
Custom Install: http://store.steampowered.com/steamos/download/?ver=custom
--Linux Users:
wget -t0 -c http://repo.steamstatic.com/download/SteamOSInstaller.zip

SteamOS FAQ: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamuniverse/discussions/1/648814395741989999/

Specs

GPU: some units with NVidia Titan, some GTX780, some GTX760, and some GTX660 CPU: some boxes with Intel i7-4770, some i5-4570, and some i3 RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 (CPU), 3GB GDDR5 (GPU) Storage: 1TB/8GB Hybrid SSHD Power Supply: Internal 450w 80Plus Gold Dimensions: approx. 12 x 12.4 x 2.9 in high

Steam is coming to a new operating system As we’ve been working on bringing Steam to the living room, we’ve come to the conclusion that the environment best suited to delivering value to customers is an operating system built around Steam itself. SteamOS combines the rock-solid architecture of Linux with a gaming experience built for the big screen. It will be available soon as a free stand-alone operating system for living room machines.

Steam is not a one-way content broadcast channel, it’s a collaborative many-to-many entertainment platform, in which each participant is a multiplier of the experience for everyone else. With SteamOS, “openness” means that the hardware industry can iterate in the living room at a much faster pace than they’ve been able to. Content creators can connect directly to their customers. Users can alter or replace any part of the software or hardware they want. Gamers are empowered to join in the creation of the games they love. SteamOS will continue to evolve, but will remain an environment designed to foster these kinds of innovation.

While these products are still in development, we need your help. As always, we believe the best way to ensure that the right products are getting made is to let people try them out and then make changes as we go. We have designed a high-performance prototype that’s optimized for gaming, for the living room, and for Steam. Of course, it’s also completely upgradable and open.

This year we’re shipping just 300 of these boxes to Steam users, free of charge, for testing. You can make yourself eligible to get one.

Thoughts?

<message edited by AuToFiRE on Saturday, December 14, 2013 7:22 PM>

RSI: AuTo   
Feel free to add me, just let me know you are from N4G
@cl1983 No.
kon2

• Total Posts : 694
Re:SteamOS - Monday, September 23, 2013 12:05 PM ( #2 )
I'll stick to windows, thank you.
AuToFiRE

Re:SteamOS - Monday, September 23, 2013 12:06 PM ( #3 )
kon2

lol you are such a failure. Do you have any idea how much better linux actually is? Its about 20x faster than windows for starters.

@cl1983 No.
kon2

Re:SteamOS - Monday, September 23, 2013 12:09 PM ( #4 )
I don't give a damn. Linux is horrible to use. Why I'll change to a worse product when Windows already does everything I want?

And unless I see a source for the 20x faster I'm calling bull****.
AuToFiRE

Re:SteamOS - Monday, September 23, 2013 12:12 PM ( #5 )
kon2

I don't give a damn. Linux is horrible to use. Why I'll change to a worse product when Windows already does everything I want?

You obviously have never used linux. With linux, you'll get a much higher framerate with less resources being used.
<message edited by AuToFiRE on Monday, September 23, 2013 12:13 PM>

@cl1983 No.
Bladesfist

• Total Posts : 765
Re:SteamOS - Monday, September 23, 2013 12:17 PM ( #6 )
I agree that kons reason for disliking linux is stupid however I do not use it because I go where all my software is available which happens to be windows.

I do however use Linux on my laptop.
AuToFiRE

Re:SteamOS - Monday, September 23, 2013 12:22 PM ( #7 )
Bladesfist

I agree that kons reason for disliking linux is stupid however I do not use it because I go where all my software is available which happens to be windows.

I do however use Linux on my laptop.

Now, the only reason I still use windows is for gaming, everything else is available free on linux. With the beginning of SteamOS, I wont have any reason to boot back into windows

@cl1983 No.
ShAkKa

• Total Posts : 5897
Re:SteamOS - Monday, September 23, 2013 12:29 PM ( #8 )
kon2

You are so wrong Kon, At least try it before making such claims.

On the speed thing AuTo is vastly exaggerating, I'd say Linux is 2x or 3x times faster. 

ZoyosJD

• Total Posts : 456
Re:SteamOS - Monday, September 23, 2013 12:37 PM ( #9 )
This will be an integral part of my next build when we get mobos supporting the new ram modules next year.
B Man

• Total Posts : 8468
Re:SteamOS - Monday, September 23, 2013 12:39 PM ( #10 )
"Stand alone OS for living room machines"?

So is it like an app that would run on existing streaming devices such as roku or xbox/playstation?  They make it sound like there will be a broad selection of devices it will come on.  If that's the case, that's awesome.  I'm not about to waste money on some steam box.

edit- Oh and f*ck Linux.
<message edited by B Man on Monday, September 23, 2013 12:40 PM>
Bladesfist

Re:SteamOS - Monday, September 23, 2013 12:48 PM ( #11 )
B Man

So is it like an app that would run on existing streaming devices such as roku or xbox/playstation?  They make it sound like there will be a broad selection of devices it will come on.  If that's the case, that's awesome.  I'm not about to waste money on some steam box.

edit- Oh and f*ck Linux.

Did you just say an Operating System is like an App? I hate the term App. I blame apple for this.
kon2

Re:SteamOS - Monday, September 23, 2013 12:48 PM ( #12 )
I did use. Having to fiddle with command prompts and emulation tools just to run a program isn't horrible to you? Well then.
B Man

• Total Posts : 8468
Re:SteamOS - Monday, September 23, 2013 12:55 PM ( #13 )
Bladesfist

B Man

edit- Oh and f*ck Linux.

Did you just say an Operating System is like an App? I hate the term App. I blame apple for this.

You know what I mean.  Like could I run it off a thumbstick, or download it and load it into another OS... like an APP.
Eiffel

• Total Posts : 11823
Re:SteamOS - Monday, September 23, 2013 12:57 PM ( #14 )
Maybe if I had a second at home gaming rig laying around that I didn't use for multitasking and strictly for gaming. I'll stick to the vastly supported alternative that already does everything I need. 

Bladesfist

Re:SteamOS - Monday, September 23, 2013 1:10 PM ( #15 )
I am more interested in the development side of this. Will they have an easy to use API for stuff like input. This could also play in nicely with steam cloud and the other services.
Ducky

• Total Posts : 2356
Re:SteamOS - Monday, September 23, 2013 1:25 PM ( #16 )
... So, it's kinda like ChromeOS, only this is for those that don't do much aside from gaming on their TV.

Meh, maybe down the line there might be greater support for linux, but I don't see this as any immediate game changer.
ShAkKa

• Total Posts : 5897
Re:SteamOS - Monday, September 23, 2013 1:29 PM ( #17 )
kon2

I did use. Having to fiddle with command prompts and emulation tools just to run a program isn't horrible to you? Well then.

"Shakes head".

wishingW3L

• Total Posts : 1091
Re:SteamOS - Monday, September 23, 2013 1:41 PM ( #18 )
AuToFiRE

kon2

lol you are such a failure. Do you have any idea how much better linux actually is? Its about 20x faster than windows for starters.

Linux has always been better than Windows as an OS but when it comes to stuff like Visual Studio, Microsoft Office, emulators like PCSX2, codec packs like K-lite... No other OS has an answer. And as much as I would want to jump ship Windows is the most versatile OS in the market and always will be because of the monopoly.
flip-it3

• Total Posts : 6628
Re:SteamOS - Monday, September 23, 2013 2:05 PM ( #19 )
Linux can pretty much do everything I'd need it to do but lack of gaming support kills it for me. I'd probably dual boot windows if I can't find an alternative program for SteamOS if it is actually good. 

I would have liked a collaboration with Valve and Google, so basically ChromeOS with SteamOS. Chromebooks and steam boxes would give windows a run for their money with google's many varying resources and Valve's games. 
kon2

Re:SteamOS - Monday, September 23, 2013 2:31 PM ( #20 )
ShAkKa

kon2

"Shakes head".

I figured you'd have no answer.
Change Page: 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 1 of 19, messages 1 to 20 of 376 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread