Do you think the Vita TV can save the PS Vita?

GdaTyler

• Total Posts : 30
  • Reward points : 0
Do you think the Vita TV can save the PS Vita? - Tuesday, September 24, 2013 6:43 PM ( #1 )
I was thinking, can this thing save a struggling handheld? The vicious cycle the PS Vita is dealing with is: poor sales, no games and no games, no sales. If this thing can attract a big majority of gamers who are ones who don't have handhelds, it could be a hit. Of course PS Vita software will get a big boost. So when more games are sold, maybe developers will think that their games will not go to waste and they will jump in. 

Vita TV is Japan-only for now come November 14th. The good news is that Sony is aware that people in the west are very interested so maybe it has a good chance of making it here. 

About the touch-based games. Didn't they say that DualShock 4 will eventually become supported through a patch? Someone tell me, would this make touch-based games like Killzone Mercenary kind of work in a way? Like a button can bring up a cursor or something so you can use the DS4 touchpad? Please tell me if you heard anything like that. 

So, do you think Vita TV will help the PS Vita?
<message edited by GdaTyler on Saturday, September 28, 2013 2:36 PM>
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

• Total Posts : 10792
Re:Do you think the Vita TV can save the PS Vita? - Tuesday, September 24, 2013 8:13 PM ( #2 )
It might make the Vita relevant to support for developers sure. But no way in hell will Sony ever beat Nintendo in the Handheld war.
Formerly Known as Hellbringer. PSN: KenshinBATT0USAI 3DS: 2895-6892-5663 Steam: Vashlion
GdaTyler

Re:Do you think the Vita TV can save the PS Vita? - Tuesday, September 24, 2013 8:26 PM ( #3 )
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

It might make the Vita relevant to support for developers sure. But no way in hell will Sony ever beat Nintendo in the Handheld war.

Yes, we know that... Nintendo's franchises tend to attract more gamers, yes... -_-
TheMART

• Total Posts : 3356
Re:Do you think the Vita TV can save the PS Vita? - Wednesday, September 25, 2013 2:29 AM ( #4 )
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

Topic starter didn't ask which handheld was selling better, he's questioning PSVitTV helping PSVita to get a wider 3rd party support library of games. Besides that, the better selling device in the end, isn't always the winner overall.

PS3 sales didn't beat the Wii sales, yet that is. While the Wii stopped selling since some time already pretty much and is stuck at 100 mln units sold, the PS3 remains selling like hot cakes. And we've seen how long Playstations can sell/be produced as the PS2 production just stopped. Once that PS3 is going to hit a price close or on 100 bucks it'll be a different story compared to Wii's sales at 100 bucks. Nintendo's hardware just isn't lasting that long for the sales window, where Sony's hardware has the punch to sell for a longer time. Who knows when 3DS will be discontinued, heck officially it almost did already with the 2DS downgrade. Yet, even while Wii's hardware sales are ahead the PS3 got the more better and a longer list of more higher rated games and not the shatload of shovelware the Wii got.

I guess it is just about PSVita reaching the hardware sales which makes profitable business for a developer. Aside from the fact that the PSVita has the highest attach rate of games in like ever for a gaming device. Even with less users, it can sell a lot of software.

Notice how the topic starter wasn't even mentioning the 3DS, but was focusing on software and if PSVitaTV would help.

@Kenshin

Yes, the DS4 is going to be supported in Japan when PS4 releases. And yes, that touchpad on the DS4 could be remapped to PSVitas front/back touch. So indeed, games like Killzone Mercenary could work with touch actions like it does now on PSVita, Tearaway etc should be possible, although some games might still run in trouble as front and back touch are used. Then again, some remapping for certain actions might not be that hard in the end.
<message edited by TheMART on Wednesday, September 25, 2013 3:03 AM>

Kenshin_BATT0USAI

Re:Do you think the Vita TV can save the PS Vita? - Wednesday, September 25, 2013 5:55 AM ( #5 )
TheMART

Kenshin_BATT0USAI

Topic starter didn't ask which handheld was selling better, he's questioning PSVitTV helping PSVita to get a wider 3rd party support library of games. Besides that, the better selling device in the end, isn't always the winner overall.

PS3 sales didn't beat the Wii sales, yet that is. While the Wii stopped selling since some time already pretty much and is stuck at 100 mln units sold, the PS3 remains selling like hot cakes. And we've seen how long Playstations can sell/be produced as the PS2 production just stopped. Once that PS3 is going to hit a price close or on 100 bucks it'll be a different story compared to Wii's sales at 100 bucks. Nintendo's hardware just isn't lasting that long for the sales window, where Sony's hardware has the punch to sell for a longer time. Who knows when 3DS will be discontinued, heck officially it almost did already with the 2DS downgrade. Yet, even while Wii's hardware sales are ahead the PS3 got the more better and a longer list of more higher rated games and not the shatload of shovelware the Wii got.

I guess it is just about PSVita reaching the hardware sales which makes profitable business for a developer. Aside from the fact that the PSVita has the highest attach rate of games in like ever for a gaming device. Even with less users, it can sell a lot of software.

Notice how the topic starter wasn't even mentioning the 3DS, but was focusing on software and if PSVitaTV would help.

@Kenshin

Yes, the DS4 is going to be supported in Japan when PS4 releases. And yes, that touchpad on the DS4 could be remapped to PSVitas front/back touch. So indeed, games like Killzone Mercenary could work with touch actions like it does now on PSVita, Tearaway etc should be possible, although some games might still run in trouble as front and back touch are used. Then again, some remapping for certain actions might not be that hard in the end.

Jesus fellas, I answered the god damn question "It might make the Vita relevant to support for developers sure" Don't be so damn butthurt because I brought in the 3DS in regards to this, because, yes, it is relevant to the topic as well. Gives you a frame of reference. You know, something you draw comparisons from to get a grasp of a situation? 

If you wanna talk about irrelevance, look at your second paragraph. That had NOTHING to even do with the Vita at all. I don't see the DS4 remapping happening either. Just seems like too much unnecessary trouble for a very gimmicky feature that barely anyone likes.

Also, heads up, yes Nintendo did win the PS3/360/Wii war. You may think 'oh sony/microsoft had a better library and better support' and you're right, they did. But Nintendo DEFINITELY made a lot more money than both of them given that every Wii was income for them. But again, that has nothing to do with the topic.

I'll say my point again. Yeah the VITA TV will help, and garner more 3rd party support. But not nearly as much as you're thinking/hoping. If anything I'd argue it'll hurt the Vita and handheld sales even more. Why spend $200+ on a Vita when someone can spend less than half of that on VITA TV? 

<message edited by Kenshin_BATT0USAI on Wednesday, September 25, 2013 5:57 AM>
Formerly Known as Hellbringer. PSN: KenshinBATT0USAI 3DS: 2895-6892-5663 Steam: Vashlion
TheMART

• Total Posts : 3356
Re:Do you think the Vita TV can save the PS Vita? - Wednesday, September 25, 2013 10:27 AM ( #6 )
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

TheMART

Kenshin_BATT0USAI

@Kenshin

Jesus fellas, I answered the god damn question "It might make the Vita relevant to support for developers sure" Don't be so damn butthurt because I brought in the 3DS in regards to this, because, yes, it is relevant to the topic as well. Gives you a frame of reference. You know, something you draw comparisons from to get a grasp of a situation? 

If you wanna talk about irrelevance, look at your second paragraph. That had NOTHING to even do with the Vita at all. I don't see the DS4 remapping happening either. Just seems like too much unnecessary trouble for a very gimmicky feature that barely anyone likes.

Also, heads up, yes Nintendo did win the PS3/360/Wii war. You may think 'oh sony/microsoft had a better library and better support' and you're right, they did. But Nintendo DEFINITELY made a lot more money than both of them given that every Wii was income for them. But again, that has nothing to do with the topic.

I'll say my point again. Yeah the VITA TV will help, and garner more 3rd party support. But not nearly as much as you're thinking/hoping. If anything I'd argue it'll hurt the Vita and handheld sales even more. Why spend $200+ on a Vita when someone can spend less than half of that on VITA TV? 

First off: the PSVita will become more relevant to developers when PSVita and PSVitaTV combined reach 10 mln first, then 20 mln etc. The fact that 3DS sold many more, doesn't make a difference if a developer sees another business chance with good earnings. This is also seen with PS+, where a developer sees a chance to earn a good amount of money for 'giving away their game' on PS+ and make a deal with Sony about the cash given for it.

The 2nd paragraph was to show you, that hardware sales don't make the difference, as long as the installed base of the console is strong enough to invest in. Certainly if the attach rate is higher than the other platform (aka, attach rate on PS3 is higher than on Wii, attach rate on PSVita is higher than on 3DS). Get it, got it???

DS4 remapping ain't that hard, as its a touchpad, just like PSVitas backtouch. Gimmick, maybe. Less gimmick than the added dept called 3D on 3DS, second, Tearaway is gonna prove when its used well its great.

Nintendo sold 100 mln Wii's. Did you play their sales or do you play games? Second, selling the PS3/360 ain't over yet. They're just in their 7th year, at least another 3 years of sales down the road. Heck, the PS2 went on for a good 12 year in sales. That Wii just stopped selling basically. Nintendo isn't doing that well with WiiU eh? All their hard earned money whop down the drain again.

"I'll say my point again. Yeah the VITA TV will help, and garner more 3rd party support. But not nearly as much as you're thinking/hoping."

Based on... The fact that in Japan it was sold out in hours? Eh let me see. Based on the high interest in the West too? Based on the fact that its just 99 USD which an Ouya or AppleTV cost too? What you think/hope is that it isn't selling like hot cakes, the market proves you wrong at this very moment already.

"If anything I'd argue it'll hurt the Vita and handheld sales even more. Why spend $200+ on a Vita when someone can spend less than half of that on VITA TV?"

Not really, as they're two different beasts. Someone that wants a handheld, wants it for it... Being a handheld and not a TV system. One that never wanted a handheld, but yet wants to play its games, buys the PSVitaTV.

There are people that want to use their PSVita on the road, but play them on the TV when they come home. They'll buy both. There are people that buy a PS4 and want to play the PS4 games on another TV, they'll buy the PSVitaTV. There are others that want to remote play the PS4 on the couch on the PSVita, while others use the TV.

Two different beasts most often don't have cannibalism problems, as different people got different needs.

GdaTyler

Re:Do you think the Vita TV can save the PS Vita? - Wednesday, September 25, 2013 7:16 PM ( #7 )
TheMART

Two different beasts most often don't have cannibalism problems, as different people got different needs. 

Brilliant way of saying it. 

I love your replies. They actually makes sense and include facts. Unlike certain replies which stem from fanboy delusion.
<message edited by GdaTyler on Wednesday, September 25, 2013 7:21 PM>
SmokeyMcBear

• Total Posts : 14725
Re:Do you think the Vita TV can save the PS Vita? - Wednesday, September 25, 2013 8:19 PM ( #8 )
@kenshin first off, no personal attacks or vulgar references. second, you have no idea how manufacturing supply/demand economics works so I would avoid talking about that.

All work and no play.. makes odion go something something
thebudgetgamer

• Total Posts : 6943
Re:Do you think the Vita TV can save the PS Vita? - Wednesday, September 25, 2013 8:25 PM ( #9 )
Maybe.
SmokeyMcBear

Re:Do you think the Vita TV can save the PS Vita? - Wednesday, September 25, 2013 8:27 PM ( #10 )
maybe you just be quiet.

Kenshin_BATT0USAI

Re:Do you think the Vita TV can save the PS Vita? - Wednesday, September 25, 2013 8:30 PM ( #11 )
SmokeyMcBear

@kenshin first off, no personal attacks or vulgar references. second, you have no idea how manufacturing supply/demand economics works so I would avoid talking about that.

Yet being called a delusional fanboy isn't a personal attack?

Also I work in Logistics man. If there's anything I know it's supply/demand and economics.  If you think I'm wrong, by all means explain how I am. 
<message edited by Kenshin_BATT0USAI on Wednesday, September 25, 2013 8:39 PM>
thebudgetgamer

• Total Posts : 6943
Re:Do you think the Vita TV can save the PS Vita? - Wednesday, September 25, 2013 8:34 PM ( #12 )
SmokeyMcBear

maybe you just be quiet.

I appologize.

wishingW3L

• Total Posts : 1091
Re:Do you think the Vita TV can save the PS Vita? - Wednesday, September 25, 2013 8:40 PM ( #13 )
nope. Not when half the software will not even work with it. And what's important to the hardware manufacturer is not the hardware sales but the software sales.

But now that I think about it, I don't the VitaTV is here to help the Vita itself but to find a new use to that hardware that is not selling software like: if it's not selling games then let's remove the screen, decrease its manufacturing cost and sell it like DVD or blu-ray player but to stream stuff.
<message edited by wishingW3L on Wednesday, September 25, 2013 8:49 PM>
GdaTyler

Re:Do you think the Vita TV can save the PS Vita? - Wednesday, September 25, 2013 10:22 PM ( #14 )
wishingW3L

nope. Not when half the software will not even work with it. And what's important to the hardware manufacturer is not the hardware sales but the software sales.

But now that I think about it, I don't the VitaTV is here to help the Vita itself but to find a new use to that hardware that is not selling software like: if it's not selling games then let's remove the screen, decrease its manufacturing cost and sell it like DVD or blu-ray player but to stream stuff.

I think otherwise. The only game which will never work will probably be the ones that need cameras in order to progress. The other ones can be worked around. I believe that software sales will skyrocket, therefore, prompting developers to make games for Vita. Also, God Eater 2 sales will do even better since Vita TV is releasing on the same day as God Eater 2 on November 14th. 

So, in short, I think VitaTV is a beast that can help Vita succeed. The demand is strong so we'll see it in the West one day.
SmokeyMcBear

Re:Do you think the Vita TV can save the PS Vita? - Thursday, September 26, 2013 12:46 PM ( #15 )
@kenshin, I don't think he said you are a delusional fanboy, he said views which stem from fanboy delusions. Its like calling someone stupid, or saying what you are doing is stupid, its a little different. At least I think that is the case y you are eluding to. As far as explaining it to you, well there are multiple levels in which I feel you are incorrect. Comparing a vitatv and a vita, is like comparing a roku with a tablet. They each have their separate uses and markets, yet do very similar things. The sales of one don't necessarily affect the sales of another, but they do impact the popularity of say netflix, hulu, and other streaming services. Now secondly which I should think you would understand knowing logistics, is that manufacturing and supply side economics of an existing product and a new product are very different. The PS vita already has its manufacturing schedule, its supply side economics already down pat. The VitaTV is new and is being produced in large quantities to fulfill the initial demand due to empty supply. there is no 1 million produced of each, and if one sells the other is just going to be sitting there never to be bought. True the VitaTV may indeed have an impact on the sales and demand of the PS Vita, and in all honesty it can go both ways. As I have shown you previously, they are different markets. Someone looking for what the PSVita offers is not going to find that same functionality in the VitaTV.If one does impact the other, the supply side will correct ifself accordingly. Manufacturing schedules will ramp up or ramp down according to the market demand. One manufacturing plant manufactures many different products, each with its schedule and amount per cycle. this is adjusted accordingly through the life of the product. Take the new iphone for example. They are manufacturing 5 different colors. Say two of those colors sell a lot better than the others. The next manufacturing cycle, the two colors will see an increase in production, the remaining 3 will see their numbers decreased, to meet the market demand. Its not a case of flooding the market with too much supply, and letting it just sit there forever because no on is buying them. I mean, you would know all this stuff since you are in logistics.

B Man

• Total Posts : 8468
Re:Do you think the Vita TV can save the PS Vita? - Thursday, September 26, 2013 1:02 PM ( #16 )
Honestly I don't get the hype around it.  I have a roku, google TV, xbox 360 and PS3... all allowing me to make all my TVs smart TVs.  As for being able to play Vita games on a TV, the graphics aren't that freaking great, why would I want them blown up on a huge TV showing me every single fault?
SmokeyMcBear

Re:Do you think the Vita TV can save the PS Vita? - Thursday, September 26, 2013 1:06 PM ( #17 )
the hype for me at least, is the PS4 compatibility. to be able to take the PS VitaTV, to someone's home that has a wifi network, and play my PS4 over there. If it cannot do this, the yeah, its not that big of deal to play Vita games on a big screen, although Im sure a lot of people would like it, i mean even the gameboy offered this ability in some of its iterations. But having a mobile PS4, whether in the home to multiple TVs, or outside of the house at a friends, that is what ability I'm looking for.

B Man

• Total Posts : 8468
Re:Do you think the Vita TV can save the PS Vita? - Thursday, September 26, 2013 2:51 PM ( #18 )
SmokeyMcBear

the hype for me at least, is the PS4 compatibility. to be able to take the PS VitaTV, to someone's home that has a wifi network, and play my PS4 over there. If it cannot do this, the yeah, its not that big of deal to play Vita games on a big screen, although Im sure a lot of people would like it, i mean even the gameboy offered this ability in some of its iterations. But having a mobile PS4, whether in the home to multiple TVs, or outside of the house at a friends, that is what ability I'm looking for.

Well considering the article I recently read that said streaming PS4 games on the Vita was smooth, only to the fact it degraded graphics quality in order to maintain smoothness, I think I'd be just fine playing PS4 games on the Vita's smaller screen.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread