Female Character in the next GTA.

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 22 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version
kon2

• Total Posts : 694
  • Reward points : 0
Female Character in the next GTA. - Friday, September 27, 2013 7:36 AM ( #1 )
I'd like to enter the discussion about GTA having a female lead.  I don't think Rockstar is going to change their formula anytime soon. They've been pretty "conservative" about their changes in the GTA series; having 3 main characters is probably the biggest change since the transition from 2D to 3D. I'm pretty sure a big number of gamers would be unhappy about having a girl as main character.

What do you guys think?
Pandamobile

• Total Posts : 1709
Re:Female Character in the next GTA. - Friday, September 27, 2013 10:27 AM ( #2 )

If they did another 3-pronged story like they did with GTA V, they could easily fit a female character in there.

Only problem is differentiating a female character from a male character. If all the missions are still killing, robbing, etc. then that character is going to have an equally justified story line. If all they're doing is replacing one male character with essentially the same character (with the addition of boobs and long hair) then it's unnecessary and doesn't really make sense.
<message edited by Pandamobile on Friday, September 27, 2013 10:28 AM>
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

• Total Posts : 10793
Re:Female Character in the next GTA. - Friday, September 27, 2013 11:20 AM ( #3 )
Pandamobile

If they did another 3-pronged story like they did with GTA V, they could easily fit a female character in there.

Only problem is differentiating a female character from a male character. If all the missions are still killing, robbing, etc. then that character is going to have an equally justified story line. If all they're doing is replacing one male character with essentially the same character (with the addition of boobs and long hair) then it's unnecessary and doesn't really make sense.

I'd have to disagree. If it were anything but that people who call foul and say women are not being treated as equals.
Reality is though, there aren't that many differences between males and females that can be expressed without it being 'sexist' to some extent.
Formerly Known as Hellbringer. PSN: KenshinBATT0USAI 3DS: 2895-6892-5663 Steam: Vashlion
kon2

• Total Posts : 694
Re:Female Character in the next GTA. - Friday, September 27, 2013 11:24 AM ( #4 )
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
SmokeyMcBear

• Total Posts : 14732
Re:Female Character in the next GTA. - Friday, September 27, 2013 11:36 AM ( #5 )
well you can be a girl in GTA online, so theres that.

All work and no play.. makes odion go something something
ShAkKa

• Total Posts : 5897
Re:Female Character in the next GTA. - Friday, September 27, 2013 11:39 AM ( #6 )

"Female Character in the next GTA."

Smallest GTA ever.

Kenshin_BATT0USAI

Re:Female Character in the next GTA. - Friday, September 27, 2013 12:14 PM ( #7 )
ShAkKa

"Female Character in the next GTA."

Smallest GTA ever.

Literally, the 'Grand Theft Auto' would last seconds. Just imagine how much ****ter car controls would be? (I jest, I jest...)
Formerly Known as Hellbringer. PSN: KenshinBATT0USAI 3DS: 2895-6892-5663 Steam: Vashlion
Satanas

• Total Posts : 13047
Re:Female Character in the next GTA. - Saturday, September 28, 2013 3:24 PM ( #8 )
kon2

I'd like to enter the discussion about GTA having a female lead.  I don't think Rockstar is going to change their formula anytime soon. They've been pretty "conservative" about their changes in the GTA series; having 3 main characters is probably the biggest change since the transition from 2D to 3D. I'm pretty sure a big number of gamers would be unhappy about having a girl as main character.

What do you guys think?

I've thought about this too and thought they should do it, but women are not very prominent in any GTA titles and I don't expect this to really change. If memory serves, GTA3 had the most memorable female characters and after that there have barely been any notable females in GTA games. I'm talking about criminal women, like that Asuka from GTA3, so this wouldn't count those klutzy women in Michael's family.
wishingW3L

• Total Posts : 1091
Re:Female Character in the next GTA. - Saturday, September 28, 2013 4:38 PM ( #9 )
I think that a female character could work and it'd be interesting turn around but people are still going to complain anyway. And I'm not saying that complaining is bad, I mean, people have opinions and they want it to be heard... But Rockstar should do whatever they want to do with their games. 

Like, in MGSV I don't like Quiet's outfit, the regenerative health, see through walls, more action oriented but I hate when people try to get on me just because I'm writing what I think. A bit off-topic but whatever.....
ColdFeet

• Total Posts : 65
Re:Female Character in the next GTA. - Sunday, September 29, 2013 9:13 PM ( #10 )
Well I think the problem lies in that traditionally gta protagonist are masculine. We are talking about a killing culture and gangs. Do you try to portray her as a professional assassin? Maybe but how does that fit in a gang centric style game? Do you portray her tomboyish/butch or a lesbian and have people complain about stereotyping. Questions like this Is probably part of the reason it hasn't happened yet.
TheColbertinator

• Total Posts : 7301
Re:Female Character in the next GTA. - Tuesday, October 01, 2013 12:54 AM ( #11 )
Pointless 
Utterly pointless 

Kenshin_BATT0USAI

Re:Female Character in the next GTA. - Tuesday, October 01, 2013 2:00 AM ( #12 )
TheColbertinator

Pointless 
Utterly pointless 

That's what I'm thinking. I mean if there was a female lead, it'll either be sexist because she'll act very differently from prior male leads, OR it'll be pointless because she won't be any different, just female.
Eiffel

• Total Posts : 11783
Re:Female Character in the next GTA. - Tuesday, October 01, 2013 2:07 AM ( #13 )
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

TheColbertinator

Pointless 
Utterly pointless 

That's what I'm thinking. I mean if there was a female lead, it'll either be sexist because she'll act very differently from prior male leads, OR it'll be pointless because she won't be any different, just female.

The only solution is to make the character transsexual. Everyone wins.  

ichimaru

• Total Posts : 2572
Re:Female Character in the next GTA. - Tuesday, October 01, 2013 9:48 PM ( #14 )

nail  on the head.  you have to show horn a female  into the violent gritty criminal culture, a misogynist culture.  at the same time If she's to butch  she won't be attractive to play with,  if she is sexy she might not be taken  seriously at all.  it's hard enough for me to picture one og the few female character done right( not sexually written)   Lara croft  working with gangbangers.  also gta  is known to be harshly honest  with thirty character  development,  and in the honest  world, many of these criminals wouldn't take a female seriously.    that being said,  it can be done with  great writing,  and a believable story.  if anyone can r*  could
  O Jerusalem, wash thine heart from wickedness, that thou mayest be saved. How long shall thy vain thoughts lodge within thee?- Jeremiah 4:14 False tears bring pai
Satanas

Re:Female Character in the next GTA. - Tuesday, October 01, 2013 10:14 PM ( #15 )
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

TheColbertinator

Pointless 
Utterly pointless 

The bold wouldn't really make it pointless, she'd just be any other character, which is fine. The game is already tagged as misogynistic by detractors so I don't think the former would matter anyway.

The biggest hurdle to overcome is that most gamers statistically don't seem to buy games with female lead characters.
wishingW3L

• Total Posts : 1091
Re:Female Character in the next GTA. - Tuesday, October 01, 2013 10:16 PM ( #16 )
but it's kind of interesting to see so many people against the idea of a female character. This machismo is so deep within our culture that is near impossible to change it. Women can't do **** on their own and if they do it requires quite the amount of suspension of disbelief from our part (myself included).

Kenshin_BATT0USAI

Re:Female Character in the next GTA. - Wednesday, October 02, 2013 12:16 AM ( #17 )

Satanas

Kenshin_BATT0USAI

TheColbertinator

Pointless 
Utterly pointless 

The bold wouldn't really make it pointless, she'd just be any other character, which is fine. The game is already tagged as misogynistic by detractors so I don't think the former would matter anyway.

The biggest hurdle to overcome is that most gamers statistically don't seem to buy games with female lead characters.

Didn't Tomb Raider sell extremely well though?

Satanas

Re:Female Character in the next GTA. - Thursday, October 03, 2013 7:36 PM ( #18 )
Kenshin_BATT0USAI

Didn't Tomb Raider sell extremely well though?

Extremely well is a bit of a stretch, it sold well, and it's only the most successful game series with a female lead character. Mirror's Edge is a better example of what happens when you have a female lead. I think EA or some other company has some rule against new IPs with female leads now
zhgk3258

• Total Posts : 3
Re:Female Character in the next GTA. - Monday, October 14, 2013 9:57 PM ( #19 )

The only problem is the difference between a female characters from a male figure. If everything's mission is still killing, looting, etc, so people will have a reasonable story line. If they do is to replace a male characters at the same characters (plus the chest and long hair), so it is unnecessary, has no meaning.stone crushing plant

Satanas

Re:Female Character in the next GTA. - Tuesday, October 15, 2013 8:51 PM ( #20 )
zhgk3258

The only problem is the difference between a female characters from a male figure. If everything's mission is still killing, looting, etc, so people will have a reasonable story line. If they do is to replace a male characters at the same characters (plus the chest and long hair), so it is unnecessary, has no meaning.stone crushing plant

This argument makes no sense though. Especially since you absolutely can define a backstory differently based on a female character vs a male character if they are well fleshed out. It's the same way you can depict a black character and a white character differently, there isn't necessarily anything racist or sexist there unless that is how you choose to present it. Where Franklin was a stereotypical hood gangbanger caught up in bad stuff, a female character could be a meth-addicted stripper turning to bigger crime, or something more Aileen Wuornos-level ominous.
<message edited by Satanas on Tuesday, October 15, 2013 8:53 PM>
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 22 - powered by ASPPlayground.NET Forum Trial Version

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread